PDA

View Full Version : Are we still doing it the hard way?

cameronw-hfc
20-01-2016, 03:14 PM
My thoughts in my most recent blog. Do we still bottle it? Or have we became even more unpredictable recently? Thoughts and opinions welcome! :flag:

http://burstbawpodcast.net/2016/01/20/next-three-months-key-in-testing-infamous-hibs-bottle/

PISTOL1875
20-01-2016, 08:13 PM
One thing we still do is that we are happy to let people pss all over us..

The board should be all over that welt Peter Houston for his comments about John McGinn but oh no , PH has said sorry for his little temper tantrum so everything is OK and forgotten.. Lets all forgive Peter Houston for bringing the game into disrepute and even though he has said sorry and he can run along like nothing has happened.... Hibs should be saying that as he was happy to slate McGinn on national radio and TV then until he apologies on national radio and TV then it means nothing...

cameronw-hfc
21-01-2016, 12:41 AM

The board should be all over that welt Peter Houston for his comments about John McGinn but oh no , PH has said sorry for his little temper tantrum so everything is OK and forgotten.. Lets all forgive Peter Houston for bringing the game into disrepute and even though he has said sorry and he can run along like nothing has happened.... Hibs should be saying that as he was happy to slate McGinn on national radio and TV then until he apologies on national radio and TV then it means nothing...

I don't think the Houston issue should be taken further. He's just a guy with a dislike of hibs, came out and said he's sorry, move on and forget. I do however think we're being soft touches still a little.

Ozyhibby
21-01-2016, 01:35 AM
We let our manager suffer sectarian abuse at his work a few weeks back and we did nothing so no point getting too upset at Peter Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viva_Palmeiras
21-01-2016, 07:30 AM
I know where I want us to focus all of our energies. Most other things are just a distracting sideshow

Hibbyradge
21-01-2016, 09:01 AM

Of course it's meaningful.

Houston apologised to Stubbs and McGinn first thing on the Monday and advertised the fact that he had done so the FFC website.

That the press didn't immediately rush over to Falkirk with an outdoor broadcast team isn't Hibs' or Houton's fault.

Hibs would have looked utterly ridiculous and petty had they "been all over" Houston after that.

At the time, Stubbs said that Houston and the ref were the only people who didn't think it was a penalty and he defended John McGinn saying he was "too honest". Did you want him to add in a few expletives to make his point stronger or something?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11793/10135992/peter-houston-apologises

PISTOL1875
21-01-2016, 09:08 AM
Of course it's meaningful.

Houston apologised to Stubbs and McGinn first thing on the Monday and advertised the fact that he had done so the FFC website.

That the press didn't immediately rush over to Falkirk with an outdoor broadcast team isn't Hibs' or Houton's fault.

Hibs would have looked utterly ridiculous and petty had they "been all over" Houston after that.

At the time, Stubbs said that Houston and the ref were the only people who didn't think it was a penalty and he defended John McGinn saying he was "too honest". Did you want him to add in a few expletives to make his point stronger or something?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11793/10135992/peter-houston-apologises

The part in bold is utter drivvle.. If he is that graceful in his apology then I am sure he will be willing to reiterate this in his weekly press conference...

Zazu62
21-01-2016, 09:11 AM
We completely folded against the Huns at ibrox. Players looked lost

Dalianwanda
21-01-2016, 09:12 AM
The part in bold is utter drivvle.. If he is that graceful in his apology then I am sure he will be willing to reiterate this in his weekly press conference...

Why would that make a difference when he has already spoken to those involved?

PISTOL1875
21-01-2016, 09:16 AM
Why would that make a difference when he has already spoken to those involved?

If he is big enough to air his views publicly then he should be big enough to retract them publicly.. He showed the club a lack of respect and should be made to pay for it..

Dalianwanda
21-01-2016, 09:19 AM
If he is big enough to air his views publicly then he should be big enough to retract them publicly.. He showed the club a lack of respect and should be made to pay for it.. He did air them in public, put a statement out...Spoke to those involved..He made an arse out of himself in public, Hibs showed some class and didn't bite...IMO theres a difference between that and being walked all over..

1987kev
21-01-2016, 09:23 AM
Since Stubbs as took over I would say I've been really disappointed and asking if we had bottle would be.

First playoff game a ibrox
Semi final against Falkirk
4-2 lost to rangers just there
Qos game until big Dom pop up with a last minute winner.

marinello59
21-01-2016, 09:25 AM
Since Stubbs as took over I would say I've been really disappointed and asking if we had bottle would be.

First playoff game a ibrox
Semi final against Falkirk
4-2 lost to rangers just there
Qos game until big Dom pop up with a last minute winner.

None of those results were down to a lack of bottle.

Hibbyradge
21-01-2016, 09:26 AM
If he is big enough to air his views publicly then he should be big enough to retract them publicly.. He showed the club a lack of respect and should be made to pay for it..

He said something in the heat of the moment and he got it wrong.

As soon as he realised his mistake, he publicly apologised to the player and to Alan Stubbs?

In what further way would you like him to "pay for it"?

PISTOL1875
21-01-2016, 09:45 AM
He did air them in public, put a statement out...Spoke to those involved..He made an arse out of himself in public, Hibs showed some class and didn't bite...IMO theres a difference between that and being walked all over..

I don't give a flying one about whether or not Hibs have bitten or not , Houston made a public statement which he has to retract in the public domain , not from the safety of his office where nobody will be able to see him squirm...

PISTOL1875
21-01-2016, 09:48 AM
He said something in the heat of the moment and he got it wrong.

As soon as he realised his mistake, he publicly apologised to the player and to Alan Stubbs?

In what further way would you like him to "pay for it"?

He never publicly apologised to Alan Stubbs and John McGinn.. He phoned them up privately and later a statement was released saying he had done so...

Oscar T Grouch
21-01-2016, 09:51 AM
I don't give a flying one about whether or not Hibs have bitten or not , Houston made a public statement which he has to retract in the public domain , not from the safety of his office where nobody will be able to see him squirm...

What's to gain from this? He apologised on a public forum, Hibs have accepted that. Not accepting it and making him appear on the news to make a public statement retracting what he said about McGinn just seems petty, well it doesn't seem petty it is petty. There is nothing to gain for either side for what you're suggesting. We all know he's a classless jambo gimp, why would we want to lower ourselves to his level?

Dalianwanda
21-01-2016, 09:52 AM

Sound :rolleyes:

Hibbyradge
21-01-2016, 09:55 AM

So, you want Hibs not only to be petty, but vindictive too?

Make him squirm for your personal enjoyment. Like a bully does to his victim.

Not Hibs class.

Smartie
21-01-2016, 10:06 AM
You need to pick your battles.

Whilst I was far from impressed with Houston's conduct, I'm happy with Hibs' response to the situation and I'm way less incensed than PISTOL1875 seems to be about it. If he feels that we should have done more then fair enough, that is his opinion, but I disagree.

I don't think we did enough following Ibrox. Our manager should not have to suffer sectarian abuse at his work (and no manager should ever have to suffer it at Easter Road either, not that I'm suggesting anyone ever does). Fans should not be physically assaulted in a football ground as many were at Ibrox. The singing of banned songs by large numbers of people should not be allowed to be swept under the carpet as the actions of a minority. I'd have liked Hibs to have been a lot more vocal publicly about this and I wonder if we are running scared of Rangers' lunatic fringe?

On the park I think we're tougher than we've been for years. We've not been great for a couple of months now but during that time we've gained points from behind twice against Falkirk, scored a last-minute winner against a resolute Queens side and negotiated a tricky cup tie at Kirkcaldy with minimal fuss after a shaky first half. We were poor at Ibrox but I don't think that was anything to do with bottle.

We have some big games coming up and I'm concerned that we're simply not playing that well at the moment. But I have total faith that this squad are made of tough stuff and if people are expecting us to bottle anything and take us lightly then they'll be in for a big shock.

PISTOL1875
21-01-2016, 10:10 AM
What's to gain from this? He apologised on a public forum, Hibs have accepted that. Not accepting it and making him appear on the news to make a public statement retracting what he said about McGinn just seems petty, well it doesn't seem petty it is petty. There is nothing to gain for either side for what you're suggesting. We all know he's a classless jambo gimp, why would we want to lower ourselves to his level?

There is a lot to gain from it Vince. First and foremost it will show that Hibs will not be pushed about in public.. For too many years now , Hibs have been happy to be p1ssed on from a great height whilst saying and doing nothing about it.. The incident in the cup final when Thomson awarded her7z the penalty is the perfect example.. The club should've created the biggest noise about that and highlighted publicly that we didn't want Thomson to officiate any of our matches in the future... Did Hibs do that ?? No we didn't and we plodded along letting Thomson shaft us time and time again whilst we rolled over and had our tummies tickled...

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Houston has made a bit of a tit of himself and has shown the folly of speaking in the heat of the moment. I am sure in hindsight he would not have said it. I would rather that all managers only talked about their own teams. Any negatives are quickly turned into motivation for the other teams.

PISTOL1875
21-01-2016, 10:13 AM
So, you want Hibs not only to be petty, but vindictive too?

Make him squirm for your personal enjoyment. Like a bully does to his victim.

Not Hibs class.

In what way are Hibs being vindictive ?? We are the ones being wronged here don't you think ??

Making him squirm is not for my personal enjoyment.. PH apologising in the public domain would be the right thing to do , not from the safety of his office via a telephone call..

Hibbyradge
21-01-2016, 10:20 AM
In what way are Hibs being vindictive ?? We are the ones being wronged here don't you think ??

Making him squirm is not for my personal enjoyment.. PH apologising in the public domain would be the right thing to do , not from the safety of his office via a telephone call..

Hibs are not being vindictive, thankfully.

You want Houston to squirm. That would be vindictive.

PISTOL1875
21-01-2016, 12:30 PM
Hibs are not being vindictive, thankfully.

You want Houston to squirm. That would be vindictive.

I want Hibs to publicly state that Peter Houston's apology means nothing unless it will be done in the public domain... This is the man who wrongfully claimed that one of our players was a getting a reputation for falling over ( and let's be honest here , he was more or less calling him a cheat ) to openly and publicly apologize for his comments.. He was big enough to go running his mouth off without any facts on the matter , so he should be big enough to retract his comments after looking at the incident in the press and not hide behind a token phone call from the safety of his office....

bigwheel
21-01-2016, 12:31 PM
I want Hibs to publicly state that Peter Houston's apology means nothing unless it will be done in the public domain... This is the man who wrongfully claimed that one of our players was a getting a reputation for falling over ( and let's be honest here , he was more or less calling him a cheat ) to openly and publicly apologize for his comments.. He was big enough to go running his mouth off without any facts on the matter , so he should be big enough to retract his comments after looking at the incident in the press and not hide behind a token phone call from the safety of his office....

I think Hibs will be much happier with the direct phone call to Alan Stubbs from Houston on the matter than anything rise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oscar T Grouch
21-01-2016, 12:51 PM
There is a lot to gain from it Vince. First and foremost it will show that Hibs will not be pushed about in public.. For too many years now , Hibs have been happy to be p1ssed on from a great height whilst saying and doing nothing about it.. The incident in the cup final when Thomson awarded her7z the penalty is the perfect example.. The club should've created the biggest noise about that and highlighted publicly that we didn't want Thomson to officiate any of our matches in the future... Did Hibs do that ?? No we didn't and we plodded along letting Thomson shaft us time and time again whilst we rolled over and had our tummies tickled...

Sorry P, I just don't see it like that. He essentially apologised on a public forum but more importantly he called AS to apologise in person, the FFC forum is public, this apology was subsequently posted across social media. What he did was wrong, he recognised this and owned up. Hibs have accepted his apology that should be the end of it, Hibs remain classy he remains a hertz gimp.

Even taking the final performance by Thompson, he was god awful in that game, but I feel if Hibs had made a big deal about it then we would have come across as sore losers. The game is there in the archives for posterity and anyone can look back and see what a welt Thompson was as a ref that day. Shouting about it would not have changed anything, apart from making us look bad and like sore losers.

I do get where you're coming from, and I think with LD in charge Hibs have got more bite than we did in the past, in this instance we just need to agree to disagree mate, I see nothing to be gained here for Hibs.

Anyways Hope you are well mate, maybe see you on Saturday :thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
21-01-2016, 12:57 PM
I want Hibs to publicly state that Peter Houston's apology means nothing unless it will be done in the public domain...

I don't think there is anyone at Hibs is actually camp or huffy enough to say that. :faf:

he should be big enough to retract his comments after looking at the incident in the press and not hide behind a token phone call from the safety of his office....

And an article on his club's website (the public domain) which was available to the press and was subsequently widely reported (the public domain).

You think Hibs are allowing themselves to be pissed on because they haven't demanded that Houston, what, calls a press conference to say what he's already said? Maybe he could crash Jackie Bird's show on BBC Scotland? Or make a wee youtube video? Mind you, that would be from the safety of his office too so maybe not squirmy enough.

"Hi, it's Peter Houston here. I thought McGinn had gone over too easily at the time, but having now seen the incident on TV, it's clear that I was wrong. I'm sorry."

That would teach him.

ekhibee
21-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Personally, I can see where PISTOL1875 is coming from, and there's a lot of it that I agree with in terms of how we constantly used to 'turn the other cheek' rather than reply to comments made by officials/managers from other clubs. Houston should have been open with the press as regards his retraction of his ill-advised comments. I'm not saying Hibs should react to every comment that's made obviously, but there's been quite a few times when there's been no reaction at all to comments made either on the radio (which has a heavy Hearts bias) or in the Glasgow press, although I do think that is changing now that Leeann Dempster and co are involved. Petrie genrally did the square root of f all when he was in charge. Just my opinion.

MWHIBBIES
21-01-2016, 01:12 PM
So many games we have apparently bottled when we were actually just rubbish on the day.

PISTOL1875
21-01-2016, 02:04 PM
I don't think there is anyone at Hibs is actually camp or huffy enough to say that. :faf:

And an article on his club's website (the public domain) which was available to the press and was subsequently widely reported (the public domain).

You think Hibs are allowing themselves to be pissed on because they haven't demanded that Houston, what, calls a press conference to say what he's already said? Maybe he could crash Jackie Bird's show on BBC Scotland? Or make a wee youtube video? Mind you, that would be from the safety of his office too so maybe not squirmy enough.

"Hi, it's Peter Houston here. I thought McGinn had gone over too easily at the time, but having now seen the incident on TV, it's clear that I was wrong. I'm sorry."

That would teach him.

I am not asking him to crash Jackie Birds sho etc but there will be interviews with him regarding this weekends match , whether it be at the pre-match press conference or at the ground where Falkirk are playing this weekend... I am sure we both agree he could easily drop an apology in over the weekend at some point.. :aok::aok::aok:

PISTOL1875
21-01-2016, 02:19 PM
Sorry P, I just don't see it like that. He essentially apologised on a public forum but more importantly he called AS to apologise in person, the FFC forum is public, this apology was subsequently posted across social media. What he did was wrong, he recognised this and owned up. Hibs have accepted his apology that should be the end of it, Hibs remain classy he remains a hertz gimp.

Even taking the final performance by Thompson, he was god awful in that game, but I feel if Hibs had made a big deal about it then we would have come across as sore losers. The game is there in the archives for posterity and anyone can look back and see what a welt Thompson was as a ref that day. Shouting about it would not have changed anything, apart from making us look bad and like sore losers.

I do get where you're coming from, and I think with LD in charge Hibs have got more bite than we did in the past, in this instance we just need to agree to disagree mate, I see nothing to be gained here for Hibs.

Anyways Hope you are well mate, maybe see you on Saturday :thumbsup:

A public forum isn't the press though is it Vince ?? it's all very well releasing it on a FFC forum but he didn't imply that JMcG was a cheat on a forum did he ?? He was quite happy to shout it from the rooftops and to anyone who would listen... His attitude was to hell with the facts , to hell with Hibs because he was going to tell everyone his issues...

Regarding the final , I don't agree that it would've changed anything.. At the time it was 11 v 11 and 2-1... After the penalty was awarded and scored it was 10 v 11 and 3-1.. A free kick would've been given instead of the converted penalty although Kujabi would've been rightly sent off... They might not have scored from the free kick so we kinda would've been still in the game at 2-1... I am not interested in looking like sore losers mate , everybody who watched that game knows we were shafted by Craig Thomson and that was our chance to do something about it.. Instead , we done nothing about it and every so often a thread pops up about Craig Thomson about how inept he is as a ref and how he keeps on sticking the knife into us...

I am fine mate and hopefully you are ok.. I will tell Deano you are asking for him when I go back to work next week.... :aok:

we are hibs
21-01-2016, 03:09 PM
None of those results were down to a lack of bottle.

the 4-2 was imo. massive chance to finally move top of the league after 2 years and we lost

marinello59
21-01-2016, 03:36 PM
the 4-2 was imo. massive chance to finally move top of the league after 2 years and we lost

We didn't lose due to a lack of bottle. That's one thing you simply can't accuse the current team of.

monktonharp
21-01-2016, 05:23 PM
don't think we lost at Ibrox through lack of bottle. we took the lead, then let them back in through a really silly pass, we were playing a team on form (which we were not) at their home ground with all the pressures that go with that. a couple of our players were just not at the races and that's like handing it to them, if you are in their back yard. tactics on the day, well he maybe did not get that fully sorted

cameronw-hfc
21-01-2016, 06:29 PM
We didn't lose due to a lack of bottle. That's one thing you simply can't accuse the current team of.

Why not? The loss at Hampden last season was definitely a game we bottled, as was the loss at Ibrox on the 28th. Both big chances for us, we weren't going into either game playing poorly. I do think we have improved but I still think there's a lot to prove in terms of bottle from this team.

MWHIBBIES
21-01-2016, 06:32 PM
We battered Falkirk in that Semi final, we hit the woodwork twice and their keeper had a brilliant game. Complete rubbish that we bottled it.

cameronw-hfc
21-01-2016, 06:35 PM
We battered Falkirk in that Semi final, we hit the woodwork twice and their keeper had a brilliant game. Complete rubbish that we bottled it.

Going to have to agree to disagree, we missed a few really good chances, Malonga towards the end and Farid also. All about opinions though.

MWHIBBIES
21-01-2016, 06:53 PM
Going to have to agree to disagree, we missed a few really good chances, Malonga towards the end and Farid also. All about opinions though.So if you miss good chances you are a bottler?

cameronw-hfc
21-01-2016, 07:12 PM
So if you miss good chances you are a bottler?

If it results in losing a Semi-Final 1-0 from a shocking piece of defending, in pretty much the only chance they had the whole game, yeah. If we had blown away every other team in the league I'd happily put it down to being a day off but we're still losing some big games, therefore I'd say we have yet to prove we have bottle! I'm not saying we haven't improved, because we have, a lot, just not quite there yet.