PDA

View Full Version : Thomson

Diclonius
19-01-2016, 09:42 AM
Guessing he will be the next signing this window, considering what Stubbs has been saying?

I'd imagine it's more a player-coach role as I don't see him playing too often.

GreenArmyyy!
19-01-2016, 09:44 AM
I reckon he will be a coach and an emergency player, would be very surprised to see him get any game time for us.

SMAXXA
19-01-2016, 10:29 AM
I reckon he will be a coach and an emergency player, would be very surprised to see him get any game time for us.

I wouldn't be surprised at all, certainly won't be as an emergency player

HappyAsHellas
19-01-2016, 10:32 AM
With his range of passing and 3 young midfielders running about in front of him it could be a very astute signing.

Smartie
19-01-2016, 10:32 AM
Has he played much for Dundee this season?

Is he fit, has he been playing in recent weeks?

He was their club captain was he not?

Smartie
19-01-2016, 10:33 AM
With his range of passing and 3 young midfielders running about in front of him it could be a very astute signing.

:agree:

2 attacking fullbacks who bomb on too.

I agree.

keep the faith
19-01-2016, 10:38 AM

Is this signing looking on its way SMAXXA?

Billy Whizz
19-01-2016, 10:38 AM

Won't need Bartley then

Heedersnvolleys
19-01-2016, 10:42 AM
My impression from Stubb's last night on the radio is that it was more of a playing role than coaching as he said is progression as a coach is only at 15/17 year old level.

Diclonius
19-01-2016, 10:47 AM
Does he have any injuries just now?

J-C
19-01-2016, 10:50 AM
We need a sitting midfielder who can sit there and play passes all over the pitch, Thomson has been doing that his whole career. He's tried Fyvie but his passing is poor, Bartley is a good defensive playing but does only the basics well and in the last couple of games he's played McGeouch there as he has good passing vision but you end up missing his directness further forward.

Scooter
19-01-2016, 10:52 AM
Is this signing looking on its way SMAXXA?

It's done or as good as

JimBHibees
19-01-2016, 10:55 AM

He has made 11 starts for Dundee pretty sure he was their captain when playing and was on the bench for the recent derby on Jan 2.

hibbytam
19-01-2016, 10:58 AM
oh good, I was fearing life without a speculative 'will he/won't he/In the know/announced tomorrow/all rubbish' type thread that I can refresh several times a day/hour.

hibsmad
19-01-2016, 11:08 AM

Thought I'd have a look at the Dundee forum to see what their general feeling is regarding KT moving on. Fair to say that the majority are disappointed. Which is a good thing!

http://thedarkblues.co.uk/topic/6103-kevin-thomson-leaves/page-1

ekhibee
19-01-2016, 11:09 AM
We need a sitting midfielder who can sit there and play passes all over the pitch, Thomson has been doing that his whole career. He's tried Fyvie but his passing is poor, Bartley is a good defensive playing but does only the basics well and in the last couple of games he's played McGeouch there as he has good passing vision but you end up missing his directness further forward.
Originally when I saw that he could be playing more than coaching for us I wasn't that impressed at all, but when you put it that way it makes a lot of sense. I suppose it really depends if Fyvie is more consistent, he really does blow hot and cold.

J-C
19-01-2016, 11:11 AM
Originally when I saw that he could be playing more than coaching for us I wasn't that impressed at all, but when you put it that way it makes a lot of sense. I suppose it really depends if Fyvie is more consistent, he really does blow hot and cold.

Let Fyvie buzz around the midfield winning balls and being a nuisance of himself, that's the type of midfielder he is.

Iceman1875
19-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Looking forward to KT returning.

At Easter Road we play...

Greenworld
19-01-2016, 11:20 AM

He has played 38 games over two seasons according to my dundee supporting mate.... the main interest to me was he was highly rated and when he did play he was the stand out player...the did not look like winning when he was out injured
So we may have someone who can run the game from midfield and get better service to the forwards...the young lads can only improve with him arround

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Bracksy
19-01-2016, 11:21 AM
KT will have a big role to play I think, now means our whole midfield have to perform as Thomson plays in a similar role to Bartley, so a poor performance by either Fyvie or Bartley (or injury or suspension) means we have players of excellent quality to come in and hold their position in the team.

Iggy Pope
19-01-2016, 11:28 AM
Won't need Bartley then

It is a squad game.

Franck Stanton
19-01-2016, 12:11 PM
sure I read that KT approached hartley asking to leave as he thought the strain on his body playing was too much. IF he does turn out for us on a semi-regular basis, I cannae see Dundee being too happy with it.

Billy Whizz
19-01-2016, 12:13 PM
It is a squad game.

It is, but he can't get a game at the moment

Coco Bryce
19-01-2016, 12:17 PM
This deal must be done and dusted. He was sitting behind the dugout with other players wearing the Hibs subs jacket on Sunday :agree:

sauzeelegod
19-01-2016, 12:25 PM
KT should never have been allowed to leave. Another Butcher f*** up. He would destroy this league sitting in front of the defence spraying passes about. I would love him to be back.

JimBHibees
19-01-2016, 12:31 PM
sure I read that KT approached hartley asking to leave as he thought the strain on his body playing was too much. IF he does turn out for us on a semi-regular basis, I cannae see Dundee being too happy with it.

Quite rightly too though I am assuming it suited both parties, maybe Hartley can bring in a player who plays more regularly and Hibs get someone to strengthen our squad while developing a coaching career.

overdrive
19-01-2016, 12:42 PM

I think he chose his words quite carefully. Hartley was quoted in an article I read saying Thomson had approached him to leave as he felt he couldn't cope with the demands of playing top-flight football.

MWHIBBIES
19-01-2016, 01:09 PM
Won't need Bartley thenWe will, him and Thomson are completely different players.

JimBHibees
19-01-2016, 01:15 PM
Interestingly KT isnt cup tied in either cup.

DH1875
19-01-2016, 03:09 PM
What I dont get is why Dundee would let their captain leave their club for free to sign for us.

CapitalGreen
19-01-2016, 03:14 PM
What I dont get is why Dundee would let their captain leave their club for free to sign for us.

Probably signed with the understanding that Dundee would not stand in his way if a coaching role came up he was interested in.

Paisley Hibby
19-01-2016, 03:20 PM

Because it frees up a wage that was going to somebody who was increasingly rarely fit to play :dunno:

iwasthere1972
19-01-2016, 03:25 PM
I'm not surprised that he's only made 250 appearances in about thirteen years considering the number of times he's either been out injured or out of favour etc etc.

About twenty games a year is relatively low.

GreenPJ
19-01-2016, 03:29 PM
I'm not surprised that he's only made 250 appearances in about thirteen years considering the number of times he's either been out injured or out of favour etc etc.

About twenty games a year is relatively low.

Or alternatively its amazing he has managed to make 250 appearances in the professional game considering he has had 2(?) career threatening injuries as well as a broken leg(?) :cb

iwasthere1972
19-01-2016, 03:36 PM
Or alternatively its amazing he has managed to make 250 appearances in the professional game considering he has had 2(?) career threatening injuries as well as a broken leg(?) :cb

Well I did say I wasn't surprised regarding the number of appearances he's made in his career to date. :cb

MWHIBBIES
19-01-2016, 03:37 PM

About twenty games a year is relatively low.He hasn't been out of favor much though, he has had 4 leg breaks, the guys quality is quite clear.

iwasthere1972
19-01-2016, 03:38 PM
He hasn't been out of favor much though, he has had 4 leg breaks, the guys quality is quite clear.

4 leg breaks. Didn't know it was that many. I thought he had one or two leg breaks and a couple of knee injuries.

I wasn't slating the guy. Just stating the facts.

Spike Mandela
19-01-2016, 03:39 PM
When KT was here last time he slowed everything down and we got relegated. We need someone in there to speed it up, get us forward at pace and get us promoted.

Nutmegged
19-01-2016, 03:42 PM

Dundee's designated journo on Twitter said Thomson went to Hartley and told him straight up he didn't feel his body was capable of top level football week in week out and told him he'd like to get into the coaching side of things, that was the day after he'd been freed.

Benny Brazil
19-01-2016, 03:44 PM
When KT was here last time he slowed everything down and we got relegated. We need someone in there to speed it up, get us forward at pace and get us promoted.

Thats the way I see it - cant understand the clamour to get him back. Very strange decision in my view.

keep the faith
19-01-2016, 03:49 PM

We got relegated because that lunatic manager hardly played KT and the few times he did we bypassed the midfield completely with the rocket launching tactics of mcgivern and Nelsons long balls.
KT will be a different proposition in this side and a welcome signing IMO.

Stevie Reid
19-01-2016, 03:49 PM
Thomson made 31 league starts for Dundee in a season and a half there - almost as many as he made made in two and a half years at Middlesbrough, and just under half as many as he managed in the same time period at Rangers: -

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=36558

He has made very few starts overall for a player of his age and quality (284) but we know why that is. Happy to have him back anyway.

dmc1875
19-01-2016, 03:54 PM
If Thomson is fit, he should probably start in a deep midfield role for us.

Look at Mark Kerr against us on Sunday. Composed, did the simple things well and had a great game. Thomson is a far better player than Kerr but can do that role for us allowing Dylan and McGinn to push on.

MWHIBBIES
19-01-2016, 03:55 PM
When KT was here last time he slowed everything down and we got relegated. We need someone in there to speed it up, get us forward at pace and get us promoted.He played 8/29 games under Butcher with only 4 starts, I don't think Kevin Thomson slowing the game down was why we got relegated.

Spike Mandela
19-01-2016, 03:57 PM
He played 8/29 games under Butcher with only 4 starts, I don't think Kevin Thomson slowing the game down was why we got relegated.

Didn't say it was. Just poiting out my opinion that he's a bit slow these days and the fact that the last time he was here we got relegated.

Not sure he would bring any benefit to the team right now but would be pleasantly surprised if he did.

dmc1875
19-01-2016, 03:59 PM

He had absolutely nothing to do with us getting relegated.

Spike Mandela
19-01-2016, 04:01 PM

Well a missed penalty might have had something to do with it but I refer you to the answer I gave above.:wink:

Stevie Reid
19-01-2016, 04:01 PM

Although I wish Fenlon had stayed until the end of THAT season, in the latter days of his tenure, everything was slow - safe, sterile possession, with no one taking any risks. Nothing Thomson (who I agree wasn't a stand out in any case) can do if there's no movement at all ahead of him. Was still a great deal better than what happened under Butcher though - who did get us relegated.

Butcher could, and probably should, have used him more in the stage where we were in freefall, where an exprerienced head slowing the game down and showing some composure might have helped a great deal - though our decline was so inexorable at that point, I'm not so sure.

Golden Bear
19-01-2016, 04:02 PM
So has Thommo's return been officially announced now?

cmcd
19-01-2016, 04:06 PM

Correct dmc He would have to have been 10ft tall to have any effect in that team

SunshineOnLeith
19-01-2016, 04:10 PM

The three other midfielders won't get in the way of his sideways and backwards passes to the back 4, then. That's a relief.

J-C
19-01-2016, 04:10 PM
Although I wish Fenlon had stayed until the end of THAT season, in the latter days of his tenure, everything was slow - safe, sterile possession, with no one taking any risks. Nothing Thomson (who I agree wasn't a stand out in any case) can do if there's no movement at all ahead of him. Was still a great deal better than what happened under Butcher though - who did get us relegated.

Butcher could, and probably should, have used him more in the stage where we were in freefall, where an exprerienced head slowing the game down and showing some composure might have helped a great deal - though our decline was so inexorable at that point, I'm not so sure.

Nothing Thomson could've done under Butcher who decided not to play him out of spite because Thomson dared stand up to the bullying of younger players and also the tactics being used by the management team.

monktonharp
19-01-2016, 04:15 PM
Quite rightly too though I am assuming it suited both parties, maybe Hartley can bring in a player who plays more regularly and Hibs get someone to strengthen our squad while developing a coaching career.I for 1, would be very upset if this move helped or pleased that wee scroat Hartley, in any conceivable way. but, as big Franck used to say.....zat's football

HFC 0-7
19-01-2016, 04:15 PM

When he did play he probably slowed the ball down because it was normally flying above his head as an aimless punt up the park. That whole team was honking, the problem was we couldnt go forward through the midfield at pace as too many players werent up to it. KT is a good player moving forward at pace can easily be achieved by the right pass to a player making a good run in front. KT can pass the ball well and the other midfields like Mcginn and Mcgeoch can make the good runs.

J-C
19-01-2016, 04:16 PM
Didn't say it was. Just poiting out my opinion that he's a bit slow these days and the fact that the last time he was here we got relegated.

Not sure he would bring any benefit to the team right now but would be pleasantly surprised if he did.

You don't play the game at 100mph from defence to forwards, by not slowing things down doesn't mean just play faster. Under Fenlon there was zero attacking midfield options, all the midfielders were defensive ones, then along came Butcher and his punt it into the corners tactics, therefore bypassing the midfield altogether, not a helpful tactic for anyone.

We now have a young dynamic midfield full of attacking options, where a holding passing midfielder like Thomson could thrive in, he has a wealth of experience and a calm game which will enable him to find his options with passes.

AlbertK86
19-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Although I wish Fenlon had stayed until the end of THAT season, in the latter days of his tenure, everything was slow - safe, sterile possession, with no one taking any risks. Nothing Thomson (who I agree wasn't a stand out in any case) can do if there's no movement at all ahead of him. Was still a great deal better than what happened under Butcher though - who did get us relegated. Butcher could, and probably should, have used him more in the stage where we were in freefall, where an exprerienced head slowing the game down and showing some composure might have helped a great deal - though our decline was so inexorable at that point, I'm not so sure.

Have to disagree about slow safe sterile possession

Fenlons last game we absolutely battered Hertz with the most swashbuckling first half hour I'd seen Hibs play in many a year !!

If it hadn't been for an outstanding display by Jamie McDonald and some unbelievable misses we would have been 5 up after 25 mins.

As for the main topic of KT I cannot fathom the negativity around him and Stevie this is no reflection on your post ... It's some of the other posts.

The man is a massive Hibs fan who was an international, who has shown over the years he has the composure to dictate a game and his style of play will suit Hibs current style to a tee.

Not saying he will play every week but he will be a positive influence on a relatively inexperienced squad.

Stubbs must be trusted and the small minded ones still going on about him going to the then Rangers need to grow up

Let's back the team and management to the hilt

GGTTH

worcesterhibby
19-01-2016, 04:36 PM
I can't say that bringing Thomson back inspires me, but I'm willing to trust Stubbs. He will get my backing until he wears another teams Jersey

CRAZYHIBBY
19-01-2016, 04:39 PM
I just don't see the point in signing him

Hibeesforever
19-01-2016, 04:55 PM

Wrong, he hardly played and we got relegated. Granted he was in the team at the end but he wasn't the defensive weakness or inept striker.
Gary McAllister at the end of his career is the player KT should model himself on. Like Sauzee playing at Centre back, this could be a master signing.

Stevie Reid
19-01-2016, 04:58 PM
Have to disagree about slow safe sterile possession

Fenlons last game we absolutely battered Hertz with the most swashbuckling first half hour I'd seen Hibs play in many a year !!

If it hadn't been for an outstanding display by Jamie McDonald and some unbelievable misses we would have been 5 up after 25 mins.

As for the main topic of KT I cannot fathom the negativity around him and Stevie this is no reflection on your post ... It's some of the other posts.

The man is a massive Hibs fan who was an international, who has shown over the years he has the composure to dictate a game and his style of play will suit Hibs current style to a tee.

Not saying he will play every week but he will be a positive influence on a relatively inexperienced squad.

Stubbs must be trusted and the small minded ones still going on about him going to the then Rangers need to grow up

Let's back the team and management to the hilt

GGTTH

I have defended Fenlon a great deal on here, and whilst you are right about the first 30 mins or so of that game, in the main around that time it was very dull stuff.

Agree about KT - I'm happy for him to return.

lapsedhibee
19-01-2016, 06:27 PM
Gary McAllister at the end of his career is the player KT should model himself on. Like Sauzee playing at Centre back, this could be a master signing.

:shocked:

Borderhibbie76
19-01-2016, 07:12 PM
We got relegated because that lunatic manager hardly played KT and the few times he did we bypassed the midfield completely with the rocket launching tactics of mcgivern and Nelsons long balls.
I wish some on here would remember these dark dark days when slating members of the current team. Your description there is so accurate but still makes me shudder

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

FitbaFolkKen
19-01-2016, 07:18 PM
I wish some on here would remember these dark dark days when slating members of the current team. Your description there is so accurate but still makes me shudder

Don't worry you are not the only one suffering!

Borderhibbie76
19-01-2016, 07:21 PM
Don't worry you are not the only one suffering!
To name just a few nightmares mcgivern, Nelson, haynes, James Collins, heffernan. ..I'm struggling to remember any midfielder other than Thommo without the help of Google as we continually played over their heads anyway.

FitbaFolkKen
19-01-2016, 07:21 PM
To name just a few nightmares mcgivern, Nelson, haynes, James Collins, heffernan. ..I'm struggling to remember any midfielder other than MT without the help of Google as we continually played over their heads anyway.

Get them on their heels!

Borderhibbie76
19-01-2016, 07:22 PM
Get them on their heels!
And run those channels

NadeAteMyLunch!
19-01-2016, 07:38 PM
I remember a poster on here saying during Butchers first week that a couple of players were annoyed at being told to punt the ball into the corners and run the channels at training. Most were under the impression that the players should shut up and get on with it. Sad to think that the warning signs were there before he had even managed a game.
When he said in his first week that Ben Williams would no longer be captain, I fully expected Thomson to be made captain. Instead, I went through to St Mirren to find out Craig was captain and Thomson was dropped. Another sign that there were problems immediately.

Does anyone else think there's been contact between Stubbs and KT over the past few weeks, resulting in KT asking to leave Dundee? As opposed to it happening the other way around. I remember Stubbs saying last season that if he had come in before Thomson had been released that he would have kept him. Obviously a fan.

jacomo
20-01-2016, 08:23 AM
I remember a poster on here saying during Butchers first week that a couple of players were annoyed at being told to punt the ball into the corners and run the channels at training. Most were under the impression that the players should shut up and get on with it. Sad to think that the warning signs were there before he had even managed a game.
When he said in his first week that Ben Williams would no longer be captain, I fully expected Thomson to be made captain. Instead, I went through to St Mirren to find out Craig was captain and Thomson was dropped. Another sign that there were problems immediately.

I was annoyed at Pat for leaving when he did, but it was obvious that things were not right behind the scenes at Hibs, and hadn't been for a long time. The football was pedestrian and many of the players looked uninterested.

When Butcher arrived we had just been outplayed by his old team, ICT. There was optimism that he could sort us out and fix the problems, so many fans - rightly, IMO - gave him and Malpas the benefit of the doubt, despite possible misgivings.

Butcher and his people enjoyed very positive, almost fawning coverage in the media when they arrived at Hibs too, which no doubt persuaded some of us to back them.

As you say though, things started to unravel very quickly.

MWHIBBIES
20-01-2016, 08:29 AM
To name just a few nightmares mcgivern, Nelson, haynes, James Collins, heffernan. ..I'm struggling to remember any midfielder other than Thommo without the help of Google as we continually played over their heads anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TapatalkHarsh to include Heffernan, he was crocked/benched most of the time as well.

stantonhibby
20-01-2016, 09:13 AM
I was annoyed at Pat for leaving when he did, but it was obvious that things were not right behind the scenes at Hibs, and hadn't been for a long time. The football was pedestrian and many of the players looked uninterested.

When Butcher arrived we had just been outplayed by his old team, ICT. There was optimism that he could sort us out and fix the problems, so many fans - rightly, IMO - gave him and Malpas the benefit of the doubt, despite possible misgivings.

Butcher and his people enjoyed very positive, almost fawning coverage in the media when they arrived at Hibs too, which no doubt persuaded some of us to back them.

Indeed.....there did seem to be an improvement at first and we won the Derby at new year. Dumped out the cup by Raith was a real warning sign and it was pretty horrific from there.

Smartie
20-01-2016, 09:38 AM
Harsh to include Heffernan, he was crocked/benched most of the time as well.

Not really.

Fair enough he couldn't do much when crocked.

We were relegated because we couldn't score nearly enough goals, if he couldn't force his way into that appalling forward line then he must have been doing something wrong. McGivern and Nelson (rightly) take a lot of flak for our relegation but our defensive record wasn't that bad. It was the fact that we got so little from the forwards, our "creative" midfielders and the fact that we couldn't figure out a way to make chances for the crap forwards we had (even by lumping long balls over the top) that we're still having to play league matches at bloody Alloa this season.

Heffernan had shown a lot whilst at Killie and I was very optimistic when he signed.

Ultimately he was a very disappointing player for us, probably took a decent wage and provided us with very little, so he can justifiably take his place with the other misfits mentioned imo.

cmcd
20-01-2016, 09:55 AM
[QUOTE=Spike Mandela;4553323]Well a missed penalty might have had something to do with it but I refer you to the answer I gave above.:wink:[/QUOTE. Kevin stepped forward when no other player wanted the responsibility That should tell you something about the guy

Albanian Hibs
20-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Kevin now officially signed

Coults1875
20-01-2016, 09:58 AM

Source? Please dont say hibernian retro facebook page :na na:

TamHibs
20-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Source? Please dont say hibernian retro facebook page :na na:

Was about to say the same, just popped up on my news feed. I'll believe its official when Hibs announce it :greengrin

Brightside
20-01-2016, 10:16 AM
Harsh to include Heffernan, he was crocked/benched most of the time as well.

tbf he was just pretty rubbish.

--------
20-01-2016, 10:25 AM
kevin now officially signed

Source???????????

ekhibee
20-01-2016, 10:52 AM
Not really.

We were relegated because we couldn't score nearly enough goals, if he couldn't force his way into that appalling forward line then he must have been doing something wrong. McGivern and Nelson (rightly) take a lot of flak for our relegation but our defensive record wasn't that bad. It was the fact that we got so little from the forwards, our "creative" midfielders and the fact that we couldn't figure out a way to make chances for the crap forwards we had (even by lumping long balls over the top) that we're still having to play league matches at bloody Alloa this season.

Heffernan had shown a lot whilst at Killie and I was very optimistic when he signed.

Ultimately he was a very disappointing player for us, probably took a decent wage and provided us with very little, so he can justifiably take his place with the other misfits mentioned imo.
I know what you mean Smartie, and the point you're making. I would say the last paragraph applies to McGivern as well. He was a good player for us when he was a loan deal, but when we made it permanent he was really crap.

yerauldda
20-01-2016, 11:04 AM
Think this could be a masterstroke from Stubbsy. While KT will not be playing every week, he has big game experience and his passing and composure will be invaluable in cup games and the remaining game against Rangers.
A starting XI of:
Oxley
Gray Mcgregor Hanlon Stevenson
Thomson
Mcgeouch Mcginn
Henderson
Stokes Cummings
is very, very strong for our bigger matches and signing Thomson could be as huge as signing Stokes because of this.

HappyHanlon
20-01-2016, 11:11 AM

I think about the dark days from time to time - makes me angry that Butcher didn't do the decent thing and resign as soon as the last penalty was put away.

His failed management at Newport was a crumb of comfort.

SeanWilson
20-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Think this could be a masterstroke from Stubbsy. While KT will not be playing every week, he has big game experience and his passing and composure will be invaluable in cup games and the remaining game against Rangers.
A starting XI of:
Oxley
Thomson
Mcgeouch Mcginn
Henderson
Stokes Cummings
is very, very strong for our bigger matches and signing Thomson could be as huge as signing Stokes because of this.

that team should be running away with this league IMO:agree:

hibsmad
20-01-2016, 11:24 AM
A starting XI of:
Oxley
Thomson
Mcgeouch Mcginn
Henderson
Stokes Cummings

An extremely strong team for this division. Unfortunately we have been found out a little defensively when playing The Rangers.

I'm not unhappy with our defence, It's just that if the back five in this team were as strong as the six in front of them then I have no doubt that we would be walking it.

We must beat them in the next league game. I can't see them missing as many chances as the last league match at Easter Road so we have to keep it tighter. If we beat them in our next league meeting then I believe that we will win the league!

Iain G
20-01-2016, 11:40 AM
An extremely strong team for this division. Unfortunately we have been found out a little defensively when playing The Rangers.

I'm not unhappy with our defence, It's just that if the back five in this team were as strong as the six in front of them then I have no doubt that we would be walking it.

We must beat them in the next league game. I can't see them missing as many chances as the last league match at Easter Road so we have to keep it tighter. If we beat them in our next league meeting then I believe that we will win the league!

I wonder if, like Sauzee, we could use Thomson in that sweeper role behind Hanlon and McGregor (or Fontaine!)in a three man defence in some games, he could start moves from deep and has a good range of passing to go short and longer when needed.

hibsmad
20-01-2016, 12:04 PM
I wonder if, like Sauzee, we could use Thomson in that sweeper role behind Hanlon and McGregor (or Fontaine!)in a three man defence in some games, he could start moves from deep and has a good range of passing to go short and longer when needed.

It's hard to say how Thomson will develop over the next few years and what type of role he will play. He may well work in a sweeper role.

The difficulty is that we really aren't tested defensively unless we play against The Rangers (and Falkirk to a lesser extent). It would therefore be hard for Stubbs to test various set-ups with an eye to getting it right when this crucial game comes.

Spike Mandela
20-01-2016, 12:33 PM
Not really.

Hey sir, what's wrong with Alloa.:wink::greengrin

KeithTheHibby
20-01-2016, 12:57 PM

When Butcher came in he was very infectious and became very popular with the Hibs fans - mainly I think down to his comments via the press. Results were generally better however the football not so much. I think the rot started to set in when we lost to Aberdeen very early January.

After that we were horrendous to watch and confidence was going. There was so much going on behind the scenes that we were not aware of. We all know what happened next. FWIW even in Butcher had kept us up he would have been long gone by now. LD was always coming in, as was George Craig and Butcher would have had to work within the system which was being created.

Smartie
20-01-2016, 01:18 PM
Hey sir, what's wrong with Alloa.:wink::greengrin

Nothing at all good sir. Wonderful town and I grew up half an hour along the road.

Surely even you don't want to see Hibs playing league games there though? I don't consider myself a glory-hunter but I didn't get into football to go to the Indodrill Stadium 4 times in 18 months.

sauzeelegod
20-01-2016, 01:21 PM
Has Hibernian Retro got some ITK history?
They are saying he has signed

Dashing Bob S
20-01-2016, 01:24 PM
I liked Thomson back in the day but so underwhelmed by this potential signing I can barely be bothered to finish thi

TamHibs
20-01-2016, 01:26 PM

Well they wear announcing Stokes signing a full 4-5 days before Hibs did :greengrin

J-C
20-01-2016, 02:08 PM
that team should be running away with this league IMO:agree:

Add Fyvie into the mix of midfielders and the 3 in front of Thomson are all very interchangable.

SunshineOnLeith
20-01-2016, 05:28 PM

They were first with the news that the lottery winners from Dumfries were funding Anthony Stokes' loan move to Dundee United.

Quite the scoop.

Or made up nonsense.

You decide.

Albanian Hibs
20-01-2016, 05:29 PM

Haha it did pop up on facebook this morning but haven't seen it confirmed anywhere else!

Matty_Jack04
20-01-2016, 05:55 PM
If Thomson is fit, he should probably start in a deep midfield role for us.

Look at Mark Kerr against us on Sunday. Composed, did the simple things well and had a great game. Thomson is a far better player than Kerr but can do that role for us allowing Dylan and McGinn to push on.

Bartley would do the same job, I'd rather the big man was given a run in the team than KT we're a club who want to be playing top league football there's no point relying on a guy who by his own admission can't handle it anymore he'd only need replacing after promotion, all for him coming in a coaching capacity he has good experience and his knowledge could bring the likes of young Martin on leeps and bounds but Marv should be given the jersey well before him IMO

Jim44
20-01-2016, 06:43 PM
Bartley would do the same job, I'd rather the big man was given a run in the team than KT we're a club who want to be playing top league football there's no point relying on a guy who by his own admission can't handle it anymore he'd only need replacing after promotion, all for him coming in a coaching capacity he has good experience and his knowledge could bring the likes of young Martin on leeps and bounds but Marv should be given the jersey well before him IMO

I'll be delighted if we had to do that.

keep the faith
20-01-2016, 06:50 PM

Bartley before Thommo? Not for me.

RMQ1967
20-01-2016, 06:52 PM
I liked Thomson back in the day but so underwhelmed by this potential signing I can barely be bothered to finish thi

Hahahaha :)

J-C
20-01-2016, 11:25 PM

He's coming here also as a youth coach, if he can help the youngsters while here and contribute on the pitch, I'll be happy.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
20-01-2016, 11:27 PM
Well they wear announcing Stokes signing a full 4-5 days before Hibs did :greengrin

So did the whole of hibs.net! He probs got it from here 😂 I remember HibernianRetro said "they were told" our new manager was Mark Venus, then minutes laters Hibs announced Stubbs...

07BigD
21-01-2016, 09:44 AM
Correct

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

147lothian
21-01-2016, 10:43 AM
We got relegated because that lunatic manager hardly played KT and the few times he did we bypassed the midfield completely with the rocket launching tactics of mcgivern and Nelsons long balls.KT will be a different proposition in this side and a welcome signing IMO.Spot on

bigwheel
21-01-2016, 10:47 AM

probably the simplest and yet best summary of Butcher's reign that I've read...and I agree, KT will be a solid addition..

MrRobot
21-01-2016, 12:28 PM

I have a feeling that it wasn't to do with his body not being able to handle it, I think it was more an opportunity to return home, to a club he supports and direct his career towards coaching while also still playing.

A fit Kevin Thomson would start every game for me and play just infront of the defence.

lapsedhibee
21-01-2016, 01:02 PM
I have a feeling that it wasn't to do with his body not being able to handle it, I think it was more an opportunity to return home, to a club he supports

Your feeling is that he deliberately misled Hartley then? :dunno:

Shrekko
21-01-2016, 01:09 PM

Thats if it's exactly and all that he said to Hartley. I'm sure it was a fairly lengthy conversation and an educated guess would be that he's told him that he realises he's already at the stage where his body just doesnt seem able to be capable of playing at that level every week and he's at a time where he has to have an eye on the future. A youth coaching, fill in bonus player at the club he supports seems like a good arrangement for him. If we can get 20 games a season out of him for the next couple of years I dont think anyone loses. Dundee also free up a good wage for a body that can play every week.

MrRobot
21-01-2016, 09:22 PM

I'm pretty sure the conversation wasn't as brief as that. Would be strange to say you can't play top league and then sign for a team fighting for top league, not think?

It seems to me that Hartley let him take an opportunity to start steering his career towards coaching which I said it my previous post.

Smartie
21-01-2016, 09:33 PM
I'm pretty sure the conversation wasn't as brief as that. Would be strange to say you can't play top league and then sign for a team fighting for top league, not think?

It seems to me that Hartley let him take an opportunity to start steering his career towards coaching which I said it my previous post.

I don't wish to suggest we'd do anything improper, but…..

There was a suggestion that Hearts wouldn't have let Keatings go so easily if they'd known he was going to come to us.

There was a suggestion that Rangers wouldn't have let McGregor go so easily if they'd known he was going to come to us.

Any chance we've tapped KT up, got him to go to Hartley with sob stories about his knees, his mum etc before picking him up shortly after as a free agent?

:devil:

keep the faith
21-01-2016, 10:33 PM
We are certainly taking our time in announcing this one too. Especially considering Stubbs has talked openly about him coming and KT being at the game last week in a team jacket.
Strange in the same way we have only announced Stokes in a brief statement with no fanfare.

TObeachesHibby
22-01-2016, 06:49 AM
I hope he signs ....for playing and definitely for coaching...Brains on top!:greengrin

Jim44
22-01-2016, 09:36 AM
We are certainly taking our time in announcing this one too. Especially considering Stubbs has talked openly about him coming and KT being at the game last week in a team jacket.
Strange in the same way we have only announced Stokes in a brief statement with no fanfare.

More about Stokes in the papers this morning. Also saying that the Thomson deal will be finalised today.

Stevie Reid
22-01-2016, 10:38 AM

As superb a signing as Stokes is, I think it's difficult to make too much of a loan signing - especially one that we have no chance of retaining at the end of the loan.

I think any announcement about Thomson will be low key also, with the club perhaps aware that there's mixed feelings among the support with regards to it.

I'll be very happy with both signings.

happiehibbie
22-01-2016, 10:51 AM
I remember all the fans cheering with the Fat Butcher decided to put KT in the team and a chant going up for the said KT
A great player a HIBS fan wil do a job for us when required

Smartie
22-01-2016, 10:57 AM
My opinion of KT has swung over the years.

I loved him when he broke into the team, then was really unimpressed with the way he left us first time around, although it now seems JC was a bit of an erse and this may have influenced KT's behaviour at the time.

I was really impressed that he played for us for nothing for a while and he did well every time he was picked to play. Again though there were the rumours of attitude issues off the park and these didn't just start when Butcher came in. Again though, you could say that there were (putting in mildly) mitigating factors - he should be applauded for standing up to Butcher if that were the case.

I like the idea of him getting an opportunity for redemption once and for all where he can finally put all the nonsense of the past behind him.

Golden Bear
22-01-2016, 11:05 AM
I remember all the fans cheering with the Fat Butcher decided to put KT in the team and a chant going up for the said KT
A great player a HIBS fan wil do a job for us when required

Agreed. I remember there was a poll on net when KT came back the last time and he had the support of well over 80% of the posters. As usual, a vocal minority take delight in giving another impression.

Diclonius
22-01-2016, 11:46 AM
Scotsman saying he's signing today.

Mr White
22-01-2016, 11:50 AM

I loved him when he broke into the team, then was really unimpressed with the way he left us first time around, although it now seems JC was a bit of an erse and this may have influenced KT's behaviour at the time.

I was really impressed that he played for us for nothing for a while and he did well every time he was picked to play. Again though there were the rumours of attitude issues off the park and these didn't just start when Butcher came in. Again though, you could say that there were (putting in mildly) mitigating factors - he should be applauded for standing up to Butcher if that were the case.

I like the idea of him getting an opportunity for redemption once and for all where he can finally put all the nonsense of the past behind him.

I think he'll thrive in the environment alan Stubbs has created at the club.

SMAXXA
22-01-2016, 01:10 PM
Scotsman saying he's signing today.

👍

Lago
22-01-2016, 02:36 PM

Short term to the end of the season.

Captain Trips
22-01-2016, 02:47 PM

I think he'll thrive in the environment alan Stubbs has created at the club.

Very important point, totally different environment now he could do very well here again. We are in the 2nnd tier of Scottish football when the likes of players such as Thomson and Stokes are up for offer you have to go for it.

Smartie
22-01-2016, 02:51 PM
Very important point, totally different environment now he could do very well here again. We are in the 2nnd tier of Scottish football when the likes of players such as Thomson and Stokes are up for offer you have to go for it.

The culture at the club under Stubbs seems similar to when Mowbray was here, the players like him and seem happy.

There were all sorts of players who have had issues under other managers who thrived under Mowbray (Kevin Thomson, Michael Stewart, Steven Fletcher and many more).

Tbh it could be a masterstroke.

Simkin911
22-01-2016, 04:18 PM
Signed!

HibeesLA
22-01-2016, 04:19 PM
Signed!

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/6104

PISTOL1875
22-01-2016, 06:10 PM

Don't forget about the behaviour of that rodent Keith Jackson who created the problems between Hibs and the huns in the press.. We can all thank Uncle Walter for that....

Unseen work
22-01-2016, 06:34 PM
Great signing who will provide great balance in midfield.

Is a very good passer of ths ball that will start alot of attacks from deep with one pass.

Thomson
Mcgeouch. Mcginn
Henderson

Harsh on fyvie however

LancsHibs
22-01-2016, 06:48 PM
Is Kevin cup tied?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
23-01-2016, 10:54 AM
Wonder if he's in the squad today....