PDA

View Full Version : Lesser remembered excellent goals/matches etc

zlatan
18-01-2016, 07:01 PM
Enjoyed reading the first match thread and someone made a decent point about how it's nice to read peoples memories. With that in mind here's a thread for non Hampden/derby/old firm victories, skills, great goals etc. to be fondly remembered

I'll start with this 5-1 win against St Mirren under Collins. Benji and Zemmama were almost telepathic this day, a proper exhibition from them in one of the most enjoyable matches I've been to. Probably the last time I watched a match from the south stand that day. Highlights are five minutes in to this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR2dSjLaV6g

Mr White
18-01-2016, 07:04 PM
4 1 at tannadice boxing day 2004. That was the game that really confirmed for me that we had a special team on the park again. We'd beaten aberdeen at easter road a few weeks earlier but the performance at tannadice was particularly magnificent.

iwasthere1972
18-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Peter Cormack goal from the half way line against Dunfermline at Easter Road in about 1968. I was in the old east terracing and knew that it was going in as soon as it left his boot.

SuperAllyMcleod
18-01-2016, 07:11 PM
A goal against Motherwell we scored from a corner - during the melee in the penalty box we hit the bar four times before finally putting it in. Not sure exactly when this was but I have it on videotape somewhere and I'm sure it was early nineties or late eighties.

Frogga
18-01-2016, 07:12 PM
4 1 at tannadice boxing day 2004. That was the game that really confirmed for me that we had a special team on the park again. We'd beaten aberdeen at easter road a few weeks earlier but the performance at tannadice was particularly magnificent.

Good shout. I remember going 1-0 down in that game and not being that bothered cause I knew we would come back.

In terms of goals, I nominate Gary Caldwell's Roberto Carlos-esque free kick from 25 yards against Kilmarnock in 2004-ish. It was an end-of-season game so the goal didn't get the recognition it deserved.

Pretty Boy
18-01-2016, 07:23 PM
1-0 away to Aberdeen in Mowbrays 1st season.

They had been getting talked up after a good start whilst we'd been a bit hit or miss. We played really well against a good side and Derek Riordan scored a beauty for the winner. We really kicked on after that game.

The_Exile
18-01-2016, 07:23 PM
The circumstances are a bit sketchy and even the opponent, but Ian Murray scored a cracking goal against either Dundee Utd or Motherwell at the FF Stand end I think close to full time, we were either drawing or getting beat at the time, he picked the ball up deep in our half and drove into the Utd/Well half and spanked an absolute screamer into the net from about 25 yards out, I remember the whole east stand going absolutely mental it was such a peach of a hit!

NadeAteMyLunch!
18-01-2016, 07:24 PM
5-1(I think) against Dundee at ER when Agathe scored two screamers. Sadly that game probably got him his move to Celtic.
6-2 away to Motherwell. Great double for Ivan. Back when we would just steamroller teams if we fancied

Glory Lurker
18-01-2016, 07:29 PM
93/94, just before Christmas, Motherwell at ER. They were 1-0 up at half time. The other half time scores around the country came through and everyone we needed to be losing, was losing. I think we had the chance to go third in the league (I think), but we obviously needed to win before we could do that. The crowd really got revved up for the second half. Was a great game, and we ended up winning 3-2 (I think), with all the other teams still losing. Great game, great atmosphere.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-01-2016, 07:31 PM
Two 3-3 away draws at Dunfermline and Morton in the space of a fortnight at the start of the 1987-88 season, scorching hot weather and some great football played. IIRC The Pars game was their first ever PL match, great atmosphere at that game too, it was mobbed.

Smartie
18-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Can I have the 4-4 game at home to Dundee shortly after Mowbray took over?

A home draw against Dundee shouldn't really be something to shout about but that game (a bit like the Tannadice one mentioned above) really confirmed for me that we were going places.

It was the game that gave rise to the "if we play like that then we'll win more than we lose" comment and it was maybe the most appropriate soundbite we'll ever hear from a Hibs manager. We were immense going forward that day, yes we had our defensive lapses but it was magnificent to see Hibs playing the way we want them to.

It was also the day we saw the best goal that never was, Riordan's volley was out of this world and one of the most outrageous pieces of skill we'll ever see from a Hibs player only to be (wrongly) ruled out for offside.

Having watched years and years of huff and puff and basically crap football since, I ended up longing for the days where we played the type of football that would lead to us winning more than we lose.

I for one am grateful to have those days back again.

Edit - just found the highlights. I'd erased from memory quite how bad our defending was.

Watching Dean Sheils in these highlights is a bit like watching episode 1 and 2 or Star Wars, when Anakin was a good guy before bad things happened…...

https://youtu.be/D7tTGZAw4Jo

Broken Gnome
18-01-2016, 07:38 PM
3-0 v Dundee in 2001, last game before the Main Stand came down.

3-2 at East End Park in 2012, Fenlon's first win maybe?

Hibs have had a good mix of games against teams outwith Rangers, Celtic and Hearts that have meant a lot because we were either doing really well (v nine man Aberdeen when doing well under Hughes, last minute winners for Mowbray's team in 2004/05) or because we were honking and needing to win.

3-2 v Cowdenbeath last year :greengrin

PatHead
18-01-2016, 07:39 PM
I remember a match against Morton on a midweek night when 2 Norwegians, (Isaac Refvik and Sven Matheson? Refvik scored a great goal from a free kick routine. Can't remember final score but sure was in the Fat Ally McLeod era

Onceinawhile
18-01-2016, 07:40 PM
The circumstances are a bit sketchy and even the opponent, but Ian Murray scored a cracking goal against either Dundee Utd or Motherwell at the FF Stand end I think close to full time, we were either drawing or getting beat at the time, he picked the ball up deep in our half and drove into the Utd/Well half and spanked an absolute screamer into the net from about 25 yards out, I remember the whole east stand going absolutely mental it was such a peach of a hit!

Dundee United. He wasn't that deep in our half though, more like the half way line. Down the slope.

Think we won 3-0.

For me it was 4-1 v Dunfermline fletch and Deek scoring 2 each after we were one down at half time.

Full stand, great bridie, sunny day, Hibs won.

Fantastic.

Pretty Boy
18-01-2016, 07:41 PM
Can I have the 4-4 game at home to Dundee shortly after Mowbray took over?

A home draw against Dundee shouldn't really be something to shout about but that game (a bit like the Tannadice one mentioned above) really confirmed for me that we were going places.

It was the game that gave rise to the "if we play like that then we'll win more than we lose" comment and it was maybe the most appropriate soundbite we'll ever hear from a Hibs manager. We were immense going forward that day, yes we had our defensive lapses but it was magnificent to see Hibs playing the way we want them to.

It was also the day we saw the best goal that never was, Riordan's volley was out of this world and one of the most outrageous pieces of skill we'll ever see from a Hibs player only to be (wrongly) ruled out for offside.

Having watched years and years of huff and puff and basically crap football since, I ended up longing for the days where we played the type of football that would lead to us winning more than we lose.

I for one am grateful to have those days back again.

Remember Jim Duffy describing us as 'like Brazil' that day.

GreenArmyyy!
18-01-2016, 07:42 PM

You might be referring to a St Mirren game at home?

93rd minute winner, 2-1 it finished to keep our brilliant run going under Yogi.

Burst my nose in the celebrations of that!

MWHIBBIES
18-01-2016, 07:47 PM
Ian Murray header to beat Motherwell 1-0 at Easter Road, 2005 season.

Gary Smiths only Hibs goal in a 3-2 win over Dundee United.

emerald green
18-01-2016, 07:50 PM
I still remember, as a wee lad, jumping about daft behind the goals at East End Park when Jim Scott scored in the last minute to win the match for Hibs by 6 goals to 5. Hibs having led 4-0 at one stage and Pars bringing it back to 5-5.

bigwheel
18-01-2016, 07:50 PM
I recall a late Stephen Glass goal , at home against Aberdeen?? That caused great celebrations..anyone recall ??

Stax
18-01-2016, 07:53 PM
One I remember was 4-2 against Kilmarnock at home. We were 2-0 down at half time and I remember saying to my mate we'll put 4 past them second half :greengrin. We did indeed & the east was bouncing, just one of those games that sticks in the memory. My memories brutal but must have been about 2004?

Hermit Crab
18-01-2016, 07:55 PM
I recall a late Stephen Glass goal , at home against Aberdeen?? That caused great celebrations..anyone recall ??

Yeah, Mowbray era?

Smartie
18-01-2016, 07:57 PM

Was that the acrobatic volley towards the end of a game when we were shooting down the slope?

I remember that, peach of a goal.

bigwheel
18-01-2016, 07:59 PM
Was that the acrobatic volley towards the end of a game when we were shooting down the slope?

I remember that, peach of a goal.

Yes. That's the one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigwheel
18-01-2016, 08:00 PM
Yeah, Mowbray era?

Yes. Would have been I think ...

Stax
18-01-2016, 08:00 PM
2-1 2007/08?

bigwheel
18-01-2016, 08:01 PM
2-1 2007/08?

Yes. Pretty sure we scored twice late on to win ?? Glass with the winner

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2016, 08:01 PM

That was an important game around Christmas (maybe early December) because we had been a number of points behind and that win drew us right into the mix for 3rd place.

Cracking atmosphere.

PatHead
18-01-2016, 08:02 PM
Eddie May v Celtic to win 4-3 in injury time. Scottish Cup.

bigwheel
That was an important game around Christmas (maybe early December) because we had been a number of points behind and that win drew us right into the mix for 3rd place.

Cracking atmosphere.

Thanks guys - great to recall that.

He was an under rated contributor for us ..and yes. Great atmosphere that day !

Topographic Hibby
Beating Dundee 5-2 around 1979. Ralph Callachan waltzed around 5 defenders, some more than once, with an absolute screamer. I was high on the East watching the action on the pitch, whilst keeping half an eye on the running battle between supporters out on Albion Road. Funny times, the 70s.....

SouthMoroccoStu
18-01-2016, 08:04 PM
I think Paul Dalglish scored a great goal against Livingston in a mid week game

Maybe.....

zlatan
18-01-2016, 08:05 PM
Gary Smiths only Hibs goal in a 3-2 win over Dundee United.

I remember going mental at this one, I absolutely loved Gary Smith in that team :hilarious

Let's not remember the game against the same opposition the week after.

Stax
18-01-2016, 08:08 PM

My (4 yr old at the time) sons first game...jeezo time flies.

bigwheel
18-01-2016, 08:09 PM
My (4 yr old at the time) sons first game...jeezo time flies.

Sorry for making you feel Older [emoji3][emoji106]

The_Exile
18-01-2016, 08:16 PM
Dundee United. He wasn't that deep in our half though, more like the half way line. Down the slope.

Think we won 3-0.

Amazing how in retrospect everything is exaggerated :greengrin

I'm still of the opinion Barry Prenderville's goal against Morton was from 45 yards out :agree::greengrin

hibby6270
18-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Chic Charnley's goal in the League Cup versus Alloa - August 1997.

Audacious chip from the halfway line. Saw keeper off his line and boom!! Must have been 1st half cos it was scored into South Stand end. Early round of competition, so no TV cameras. Just the 7400 odd who were there saw it. Still vivid in my mind though.

Smartie
18-01-2016, 08:22 PM

Excellent player who did well for us.

He never seems to threaten any of the "best XI" conversations but I really liked him.

He was a wee bit older than the young lads we had in that team and I reckon he'll have had a big influence on a lot of them achieving what they did in the game.

Him and Boozy were class, as well as the likes of Broony, KT, Sheils and the rest.

BroxburnHibee
18-01-2016, 08:23 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BwVjIa0hceQ

Broken Gnome
18-01-2016, 08:24 PM
The Stephen Glass goal was 2004.

Riordan's last minute winner against Motherwell in the Charlie Richmond game was Hearts-like in its celebration.

Kilmarnock in the cup three years ago was about as good as its been this decade.

Bobo
18-01-2016, 08:51 PM
Peter Cormack goal from the half way line against Dunfermline at Easter Road in about 1968. I was in the old east terracing and knew that it was going in as soon as it left his boot.

I seem to remember Bobby Smith scoring from inside the centre circle against Rangers in the mid 70's, I think it might have been from the 2nd half kick off, his shot went in off the underside of the bar?

Green Man
18-01-2016, 09:11 PM
One I remember was 4-2 against Kilmarnock at home. We were 2-0 down at half time and I remember saying to my mate we'll put 4 past them second half :greengrin. We did indeed & the east was bouncing, just one of those games that sticks in the memory. My memories brutal but must have been about 2004?

That was a brilliant game. I was in my seat right in the middle of the old east and my mate a few rows in front shouted something at Gary Locke which Locke clearly heard. We were 2-0 down at that point and I'm sure that moment turned the game :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
18-01-2016, 09:13 PM
Remember Jim Duffy describing us as 'like Brazil' that day.

Pedant alert: it was Real Madrid wot we were like, according to Jimbo.

iwasthere1972
18-01-2016, 09:19 PM

Yes remember that one. I was in the East stand that day. We won it 2-1. Aberdeen before the match were seven points ahead of us and a win was essential for us to qualify for Europe which we did on goal difference. We lost at home to that team from Glasgow who played in blue and Aberdeen beat Hearts but not by enough.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-01-2016, 09:53 PM
Hibs 4 St Mirren 3 in 1991. Hibs led 1 nil before going 3-1 down, Gordon Hunter scored a brilliant volley before Keith Wright equalised with his 2nd goal of the game and then Gareth Evans got the winner in injury time.

Stax
18-01-2016, 10:13 PM
That was a brilliant game. I was in my seat right in the middle of the old east and my mate a few rows in front shouted something at Gary Locke which Locke clearly heard. We were 2-0 down at that point and I'm sure that moment turned the game :greengrin
Glad you remember it llke I do GM, my mate to this day says I was too pished and swears it was 2-1 half time :hmmm:

Stranraer
18-01-2016, 10:34 PM
I've seen so many forgettable matches over the years but more recently the 5-3 win over Stranraer under Fenlon was a great game and day out for me.

Shame Liam Craig hadn't played like that more often :wink:

Just Jimmy
19-01-2016, 12:25 AM
Freddy arpinnon first time volly from the corner of the 18 yard box into the opposite top corner, from the original corner cross. At tannadice under bobby.

Maybe my favourite non big game goal. It was an absolute raker. I remember nothing else about that game.

CL0762
19-01-2016, 12:26 AM
Away to Motherwell early on in Yogi's tenure, the game sticks out in my mind as that's the day I found out the wee man was on his way.

I think we won 3-1 with Zemmama, Miller & Riordan? Scoring that day but we absolutely battered them.

Boyle89
19-01-2016, 12:37 AM
Dunfermline at east end 4-0. Maybe 07/08 or 06/07?

SteveHFC
19-01-2016, 12:49 AM
2-0 against Aberdeen 2009/10. Sure it was the week before christmas. Fantastic performance and one of the best away days ever.

mjhibby
19-01-2016, 03:08 AM
Alex Edwards 25 yarder at tannadeeche in a 2-0 win in the cup iiIc. Fairly rocketed in.

lyonhibs
19-01-2016, 06:12 AM
Dundee Utd. He just kept running!!! Remember it well.

lyonhibs
19-01-2016, 06:17 AM
Far from a great goal, but the week after beating Celtc away under Yogi, we played St Mirren at home and were drawing 1-1 going into the last minute. Typical Hibs, so I thought.

Then Ian Murray gets to the byeline and sclaffs a shot/cross that gets deflected and goes in. Bedlam in the stands and I ended up several seats away from my starting position in the East.

Auckland Hibs
19-01-2016, 06:32 AM
Hibs 4 St Mirren 3 in 1991. Hibs led 1 nil before going 3-1 down, Gordon Hunter scored a brilliant volley before Keith Wright equalised with his 2nd goal of the game and then Gareth Evans got the winner in injury time.

Is this the same game when St. Mirren scored from around 35-40 yards top corner effort ? Probably the best goal I've seen at ER :agree:

Bristolhibby
19-01-2016, 06:41 AM

Went to that one. Played in all white that day. Alen Orman scoring the 4th IIRC. It was also the day after the Tsuami that devastated South East Asia, remember reading the papers in the car going up and being aghast.

J

Mr White
19-01-2016, 06:41 AM
Is this the same game when St. Mirren scored from around 35-40 yards top corner effort ? Probably the best goal I've seen at ER :agree:

:agree: brian martin

Mr White
19-01-2016, 06:44 AM
Paul wrights first goal for us in 1990. We were 2 up at home to aberdeen after goals from pat mcginlay (i think) and a screamer from neil orr before willem van der ark came on and scored twice late on. I remember being absolutely gutted at throwing away the lead but up popped wright in the last minute with the winner. Played up the slope second half unusually. Of course a week later neil berry crippled wright and it wasn't until he left hibs that he started to live up to his potential again.

Spike Mandela
19-01-2016, 07:07 AM
I remember a match against Morton on a midweek night when 2 Norwegians, (Isaac Refvik and Sven Matheson? Refvik scored a great goal from a free kick routine. Can't remember final score but sure was in the Fat Ally McLeod era

Remember it as well, 1978-79 season I think. The two Norwegians seemed so exotic at the time. Hibs had to battle and ultimately lost the fight to get a work permit for them so they hardly played any games. Hibs and Tom Hart thinking outside the box again.

Seem to recall Rangers or Celtic having a similar situation not long after and the player sailing through to his work permit but that may just be my bitter, befuddled memory.:greengrin

jodjam
19-01-2016, 07:56 AM

Amazing game. Sure our last 3 came in last 10 minutes and the Saints manager resigned the following week.

heidtheba
19-01-2016, 08:08 AM
Possibly my favourite Hibs game was one I went to the year before I got my first season ticket, think it must have been after Christmas in the 93/93 season. We were 0-1 down to Aberdeen, maybe a Mixu goal for them?
My favourite player was Crunchie and Miller played Danny Lennon and he scored and was just brilliant that day. Was one of those games where you didn't feel like we were going to win...you KNEW it. Was just a matter and when and how and not if.
Think we won 2-1 but just was so comfortable to watch as a fan.

BroxburnHibee
19-01-2016, 08:20 AM
Possibly my favourite Hibs game was one I went to the year before I got my first season ticket, think it must have been after Christmas in the 93/93 season. We were 0-1 down to Aberdeen, maybe a Mixu goal for them?
My favourite player was Crunchie and Miller played Danny Lennon and he scored and was just brilliant that day. Was one of those games where you didn't feel like we were going to win...you KNEW it. Was just a matter and when and how and not if.
Think we won 2-1 but just was so comfortable to watch as a fan.

It was 3-1 and I posted the link earlier :greengrin

Tom Hart RIP
19-01-2016, 10:45 AM

That was my first game. A Roy Barry own goal gave us a 1-0 lead then Peter's goal. My second game a few weeks later ended Hibs 5 Naples 0. Been to most home games ever since. My dad wasn't interested in fitba so no Hibs allegiance and a neighbour took
Me to Tynecastle but it was no contest. Hearts players didn't score spectacular goals

Topographic Hibby
19-01-2016, 11:07 AM
Chic Charnley's goal in the League Cup versus Alloa - August 1997.

Audacious chip from the halfway line. Saw keeper off his line and boom!! Must have been 1st half cos it was scored into South Stand end. Early round of competition, so no TV cameras. Just the 7400 odd who were there saw it. Still vivid in my mind though.
I was at that one, in the family enclosure with my daughter (now lower West). Possibly the worst possible view.

Didn't Pat McGinlay score one from around the centre spot a week later that *was* on camera, and Pat and Chico celebrated by pointing out to the TV gantry where they scored from in a "my one was longer than your one" game?

HappyHanlon
19-01-2016, 11:08 AM
For me it was season 1998/99.

I seem to recall that we had 4 home games in a row over xmas and new year and won them all.

Hibs 2-1 Falkirk
Hibs 3-0 Clydebank
Hibs 3-0 Ayr United
Hibs 5-1 Raith

Stuart Lovell scoring after 16 seconds - superb!

CL0762
19-01-2016, 11:12 AM
I was at that one, in the family enclosure with my daughter (now lower West). Possibly the worst possible view.

Didn't Pat McGinlay score one from around the centre spot a week later that *was* on camera, and Pat and Chico celebrated by pointing out to the TV gantry where they scored from in a "my one was longer than your one" game?

That was against Kilmarnock.

berwickhibee
19-01-2016, 11:32 AM
Paul wrights first goal for us in 1990. We were 2 up at home to aberdeen after goals from pat mcginlay (i think) and a screamer from neil orr before willem van der ark came on and scored twice late on. I remember being absolutely gutted at throwing away the lead but up popped wright in the last minute with the winner. Played up the slope second half unusually. Of course a week later neil berry crippled wright and it wasn't until he left hibs that he started to live up to his potential again.

Loved that game:greengrin mate I was with was so seek at the Dons equalising he left, he heard the winner in lochend. Neil ores was a cracker, bent it around snelders.

Waxy
19-01-2016, 11:41 AM
Dumbarton 0-2 Hibs early eighties. We were in real danger of going down.Boghead was packed.

TAHibby
19-01-2016, 12:09 PM
A lot more recent and under under management of one of footballs biggest frauds.... but a 3-0 win against Kilmarnock before christmas a couple of years ago. Think a Lewis Stevenson goal will always receive a bigger cheer than usual. Also that daft/amazing song to the tune of 'partridge in a pear tree' :greengrin

heidtheba
19-01-2016, 05:22 PM
It was 3-1 and I posted the link earlier :greengrin

Lee Richardson! Ha! Hated him (for some reason I can't remember which might well have been totally unjustified!).

Currently in bed avec migraine but watched that game and massive memories flooding back. Thank you so much for that!

James.
19-01-2016, 05:27 PM
I mind a great comeback against Ayr United at Somerset in the 98/99 season. 3-3. I'm sure we were 2 or 3 down at one point and playing poorly.

I also think it was Latapy's debut (or at least the first time I had seen him)

s.a.m
19-01-2016, 05:30 PM
Lee Richardson! Ha! Hated him (for some reason I can't remember which might well have been totally unjustified!).

Currently in bed avec migraine but watched that game and massive memories flooding back. Thank you so much for that!

Probably because he was an absolute nutter. Looked like a crazed, wild-eyed, hairy pony on the rampage.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-01-2016, 05:31 PM
Hibs wins at Killie and Ayr on the way to the Dunfermline SKOL Cup Final were quite enjoyable evenings too.

In fact, 4 away wins commencing with a victory v Albion of Stirling @ McDiarmid Park IIRC.

ancient hibee
19-01-2016, 05:35 PM
Neil Martin scoring 4 against Falkirk in the League.Three days before he had scored 4 against Alloa in the LC-as had Jim Scott.Think it was the second time he'd scored 4 against Falkirk.

Bertie Auld scoring against Falkirk.Arthur Duncan had already scored 4 and Bertie was wanting off for a rest so was ambling about on the wing when the ball was pushed out to him.Thundered it into the net and limped back to the centre line-still wanting off.

Onceinawhile
19-01-2016, 05:54 PM
I mind a great comeback against Ayr United at Somerset in the 98/99 season. 3-3. I'm sure we were 2 or 3 down at one point and playing poorly.

I also think it was Latapy's debut (or at least the first time I had seen him)

Think we were 3-1 down. Yogi scored a double.

GGTTH07
19-01-2016, 05:55 PM
Scottish cup quarter final v Killie in 2013 is my favourite away day bar Derby wins or old firms. What an atmosphere, stand was packed and rocking!

Hibeesforever
19-01-2016, 06:29 PM
Dumbarton 0-2 Hibs early eighties. We were in real danger of going down.Boghead was packed.

Brian Rice volley if I remember. Scarfs were hanging out of the car on the way home through Glasgow. Tremendous atmosphere.

hibby6270
19-01-2016, 07:41 PM

Remember that game well. Was there with one of my laddies. His class at Lorne Street Primary were invited to the game and a parent had to be with them. Centre stand tickets in the old stand as well which was a "very posh" thing back then.

We all got on the pitch at half time and had group photo taken.

Couldn't recall the order of the goals but do remember us coming back from the dead to win it in the last few minutes with Evans winner. Always had it in my mind that it was Paul Wright that got a couple of goals but thinking about it again - 1991 - probably was Keith, Keith, Keith.

Even back then Hibs heavily involved with local community with the equivalent then of what KFK is today. Things don't change that much eh?

Mr White
19-01-2016, 07:43 PM
Remember that game well. Was there with one of my laddies. His class at Lorne Street Primary were invited to the game and a parent had to be wit them. Centre stand tickets in the old stand as well which was a "very posh" thing back then.

We all got on the pitch at half time and had group photo taken.

Couldn't recall the order of the goals but do remember us coming back from the dead to win it in the last few minutes with Evans winner. Always had it in my mind that it was Paul Wright that got a couple of goals bug thinking about it again - 1991 - probably was Keith, Keith, Keith.

Even back then Hibs heavily involved with local community with the equivalent then of what KFK is today. Things don't change that much eh?
It was indeed paul wright that scored a brace that day. It was a few months later that year that we sold him to st johnstone and brought in his namesake keith.

hibby6270
19-01-2016, 07:50 PM
It was indeed paul wright that scored a brace that day. It was a few months later that year that we sold him to st johnstone and brought in his namesake keith.

Cheers Mr White.
The old grey matter not quite as shot as I sometimes think it is LOL

Bishop Hibee
19-01-2016, 08:17 PM

Hibs ran free double decker buses to the game. Big Hibs support.

portyhibernian
19-01-2016, 10:18 PM
A derby we lost 2-1 at Tynecastle under Mowbray ,think it was right at the end of the game when we scored a consolation but it was a brilliant goal by Riordan. Murphy found him on the edge of the box with a brilliant ball and Riordan struck full volley across Gordon into the net in front of us. Magnificent goal which I think gets overlooked due to the final result.

Smartie
19-01-2016, 10:19 PM
Anyone remember a 3-3 draw at Brockville, possibly Boxing Day (certainly just after Christmas) and it was early nineties, maybe 1992?

Great game, David Fellenger scored 2. One was a fluke - a cross that sailed over their keeper (might have been Ian Westwater) and the other was a cracker from about 25 yards.

Good, big Hibs support that day, great atmosphere.

There was a good article in the paper at the weekend about Kevin McAllister where he was going on about missing Brockville, he also talked a bit about his time at Hibs.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-01-2016, 10:47 PM

It was indeed Paul Wright, must've got too excited about the Geebsie volley!

iwasthere1972
19-01-2016, 11:03 PM
Hibernian 2 v Aberdeen 1
January 1971

The return of Joe Baker. Had the great fortune of attending this match, watching it from the cowshed. Aberdeen had Bobby Clark in goal and were coming into this game undefeated in twelve matches. The Baker Boy scored one and I think Pat Stanton got the other. Watched that day by just over 23,000.

:flag: :flag:

Sproule Three
19-01-2016, 11:22 PM

That one came immediately to mind for me too.
Doon the slope second half . Great atmosphere despite the smallish crowd .
it was a must win too as St Midden and us were in bottom two and re construction was not yet certain .
Theres still the occasional myth spouted that reconstruction saved us from relegation that year but everyone seems to forget St Middren were bottom and would have gone down ..not us .
The season after FTB nightmare

Hiber-nation
20-01-2016, 08:42 AM
Craig Brewster 25 (?) yard volley away to Raith in the League Cup. Ball must have been at least 20 feet up in the air and he caught it perfectly with his left peg, top corner.

SaulGoodman
20-01-2016, 09:13 AM
2-1 against Dundee Utd under Fenlon. Played some fantastic football up until we went 2 up.

Skacel came on for them and was absolutely bursting a gut trying to score against us, had a goal wrongly disallowed for offside and then crashed a volley off the bar from about 30 yards.

Cue much abuse directed his way at full time, hilarious :greengrin

TamHibs
20-01-2016, 09:43 AM
2-1 against Dundee Utd under Fenlon. Played some fantastic football up until we went 2 up.

Skacel came on for them and was absolutely bursting a gut trying to score against us, had a goal wrongly disallowed for offside and then crashed a volley off the bar from about 30 yards.

Cue much abuse directed his way at full time, hilarious :greengrin

the volley from Griffiths (I think it was the opener) was sublime :agree::agree:

TamHibs
20-01-2016, 09:45 AM
A derby we lost 2-1 at Tynecastle under Mowbray ,think it was right at the end of the game when we scored a consolation but it was a brilliant goal by Riordan. Murphy found him on the edge of the box with a brilliant ball and Riordan struck full volley across Gordon into the net in front of us. Magnificent goal which I think gets overlooked due to the final result.

We almost equalised after that goal with a free kick which Gordon did well to get down to.

Remember my ex Jambo bird commenting that she thought we were going to get "revenge" for the 4-4 game in January 2003 :greengrin

Posh Swanny
20-01-2016, 09:48 AM
I always fondly remember a 4-0 win at East End Park. It was on a Monday night I think and was the first match after Mowbray's departure with mark Proctor in charge. The usual huge Hibs support and a massive gulf in class made for a very enjoyable evening. I also remember the home end was virtually empty!

20-01-2016, 10:20 AM
Neil Martin scoring 4 against Falkirk in the League.Three days before he had scored 4 against Alloa in the LC-as had Jim Scott.Think it was the second time he'd scored 4 against Falkirk.
These must be the Hibs 11-2 Alloa and Hibs 5-1 Falkirk games in 1965. As kids we went on the Carlton or Central branch buses to most away games. I remember a crazy one at East End Park a year later.

Sep 17 1966. Dunfermline 5-6 Hibs (9,312). (Jim Scott hatrick and last minute winner??) The league campaign was getting off to a flier:

Sep 10 Hibs 3-1 Hearts Easter Road 21,395
Sep 24 Hibs 7-0 Partick Easter Road 9,722
Oct 1 Motherwell 1-2 Hibs Fir Park 5,609

Naturally, in compliance with the HFC genetic code (some call it "tradition") it didn't last.

Oct 8 Hibs 3-5 Celtic Easter Road 43,526
Oct 15 Kilmarnock 2-1 Hibs Rugby Park 8341

That season was a goalfest - 97 for, 68 against in 47 games (incl. cups & friendlies). Finished 5th in the league. (Stats courtesy of London Hibs)

Peevemor
20-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Matches that stick in my mind.

Dundee Utd. away 3-3
1983ish - we were mediocre and they were good. Hibs scored first with a Gordon Rae effort - low and heard from about 35 yds out. Utd. eventually went 3-1 up but Hibs came back with goals from Graeme Harvey (IIRC) and a superb volley from Brian Rice.

Hibs 8 Killie 1
The bit I remember is that Jackie Mac made un uncharacteristic cock-up to gift them their goal (under zero pressure slid on the ball and fell on his backside, leaving their forward with a clean run a goal). He made up for it later with un equally uncharacteristic goal - he almost burst the net from 25yds and you could tell <hat was going to happen when he ran on to the ball.

Dunfermline away 1-1
The year we went down with Duff Jimmy/GJP. There was a huge Hibs support there. We were sitting on the steps in the main stand and a steward (rightly) asked us to move. I politely told him that if he found us the (unallocated) seatts that we'd been sold, we'd happily move - he never came back. My biggest memory is Bryan Gunn (who understood what it meant to play for Hibs) going up for a corner in injury time and getting a knock on for Brian Welsh (I think) to equalise.

I'll do some others when I've more time.

zlatan
20-01-2016, 11:15 AM
I always fondly remember a 4-0 win at East End Park. It was on a Monday night I think and was the first match after Mowbray's departure with mark Proctor in charge. The usual huge Hibs support and a massive gulf in class made for a very enjoyable evening. I also remember the home end was virtually empty!

On my mobile so can't link but I'm sure there's a clip on YouTube of a quite sublime piece of skill from Zemmama in that match. It's mental to think less than ten years ago there was some matches you took for granted and just knew it was going to be a 2+ goal comfortable victory.

tanfield
20-01-2016, 12:02 PM
Late 1-0 away win at Pittodrie, cross hit Mickey Weir IIRC from a couple of yards. Great celebrations in the old beach end.

Must have been late 80's

Future17
20-01-2016, 12:43 PM
Dunfermline away 1-1
The year we went down with Duff Jimmy/GJP. There was a huge Hibs support there. We were sitting on the steps in the main stand and a steward (rightly) asked us to move. I politely told him that if he found us the (unallocated) seatts that we'd been sold, we'd happily move - he never came back. My biggest memory is Bryan Gunn (who understood what it meant to play for Hibs) going up for a corner in injury time and getting a knock on for Brian Welsh (I think) to equalise.

I remember being at that one. Think Brebner scored an own goal to put us 1-0 down. I think you're right about Welsh scoring (although I can't remember Gunn being involved). I think it was accepted after the game that the ball hadn't actually crossed the line.

Broken Gnome
20-01-2016, 01:06 PM
On my mobile so can't link but I'm sure there's a clip on YouTube of a quite sublime piece of skill from Zemmama in that match. It's mental to think less than ten years ago there was some matches you took for granted and just knew it was going to be a 2+ goal comfortable victory.

Is indeed.

Hibs were great that night, and Benji's goal is one of my favourite 'lesser' goals we've scored. Bit like Latapy's at St Johnstone in 2000 - could've passed it all day if we'd wanted to, decided to raise it and scored just for the hell of it.

Hermit Crab
21-01-2016, 09:01 AM

:agree:. Thats my favourite Deek goal. He had a freekick immediately after that but Gordon done well to save it.

Hermit Crab
21-01-2016, 09:04 AM
I remember being at that one. Think Brebner scored an own goal to put us 1-0 down. I think you're right about Welsh scoring (although I can't remember Gunn being involved). I think it was accepted after the game that the ball hadn't actually crossed the line.

Was that game not live on tv?

ancient hibee
21-01-2016, 03:40 PM
Early 1960s Johnny Grant probably the smallest player to ever play for us running riot at Falkirk around New Year.Never recaptured that form but left a lasting impression on those of us there.

silverhibee
21-01-2016, 04:27 PM
A game under Calderwood :shocked: was against St Mirren night game, don't no if we had been on a poor run (more than likely) :rolleyes: and Riordan scored a goal in to the FF end, the place went mental, can't remember if we went on to win the game, think we did. :dunno: :greengrin

Broken Gnome
21-01-2016, 05:13 PM
A game under Calderwood :shocked: was against St Mirren night game, don't no if we had been on a poor run (more than likely) :rolleyes: and Riordan scored a goal in to the FF end, the place went mental, can't remember if we went on to win the game, think we did. :dunno: :greengrin

I'm pretty much the gap-filler on this thread.

That was the first night as 'his' team after the transfer window. He'd been given a free ride up to that and we hadn't scored in ages, hence the mental celebration. Wotherspoon scored late on, 2-0.

iwasthere1972
21-01-2016, 05:29 PM
These must be the Hibs 11-2 Alloa and Hibs 5-1 Falkirk games in 1965. As kids we went on the Carlton or Central branch buses to most away games. I remember a crazy one at East End Park a year later.

Sep 17 1966. Dunfermline 5-6 Hibs (9,312). (Jim Scott hatrick and last minute winner??) The league campaign was getting off to a flier:

Sep 10 Hibs 3-1 Hearts Easter Road 21,395
Sep 24 Hibs 7-0 Partick Easter Road 9,722
Oct 1 Motherwell 1-2 Hibs Fir Park 5,609

Naturally, in compliance with the HFC genetic code (some call it "tradition") it didn't last.

Oct 8 Hibs 3-5 Celtic Easter Road 43,526
Oct 15 Kilmarnock 2-1 Hibs Rugby Park 8341

That season was a goalfest - 97 for, 68 against in 47 games (incl. cups & friendlies). Finished 5th in the league. (Stats courtesy of London Hibs)

The one I remember the most is the 3-5 game against Celtic. Late on in the second half we got a penalty at the Dunbar end where I was standing. Joe Davis slotted it home to make it 2-1 to us, I think, but Celtic were a great team back then and Yogi Hughes IIRC scored at least two goals after our penalty. Packed to the rafters as well.

HibbyAndy
21-01-2016, 05:40 PM
1994 first game of season beating Dundee utd 5-0 at Easter rd. Kevin Harper was sublime that day and i truly thought we would go on to sell him for millions.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-01-2016, 06:04 PM
I have a vague memory of refusing to celebrate a goal on the last day of the season whilst standing on the terracing at Parkhead when Andy Watson scored as it enabled Hearts to qualify for Europe! The details may be lost in the midsts of time tho! ;-)

Fergos
21-01-2016, 06:18 PM
A mid 80s midweek derby at Tynecastle...down 2 nil and came back to grab a point last 10 mins from 2 Joe Mcbride free kicks, only a point but felt great as we were destined for nothing moments before...songs leaving the Gorgie road end into the night as we left, Hibees here, Hibees there etc etc

GGTTH

sambajustice
21-01-2016, 06:30 PM
6-2 or 6-3 v Airdrie.

I wasn't there. I wasn't even born. But I have it on tape, great game!

iwasthere1972
21-01-2016, 06:34 PM
6-2 or 6-3 v Airdrie.

I wasn't there. I wasn't even born. But I have it on tape, great game!

Was it an evening match at Broomfield about 1972? John Brownlie etc etc. if so I have it on DVD but pretty rubbish quality.

silverhibee
21-01-2016, 06:44 PM
I'm pretty much the gap-filler on this thread.

That was the first night as 'his' team after the transfer window. He'd been given a free ride up to that and we hadn't scored in ages, hence the mental celebration. Wotherspoon scored late on, 2-0.

:thumbsup:

Hibbykk
21-01-2016, 07:39 PM
Colin Stein's goal 26/02/1966. Hibs 2 Jags 0. John McNamee superb daisy cutter pass from his own penalty area to left wing half way line to Stein who beats three men then buries the ball in the net.:flag:

Peevemor
21-01-2016, 08:12 PM
Was that game not live on tv?

No. It was a Saturday 3.00pm kick-off.

FromTheCapital
21-01-2016, 10:50 PM
Celtic 2-2 at ER in 05 or 06? Bobo Balde OG and David Murphy scored. Always remember that game for some reason.

iwasthere1972
21-01-2016, 10:57 PM
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=78040

A 3-1 away win against Rangers (anybody remember them?) in 1969. For some unknown reason I was the only Hibs supporter in amongst the Huns as the other Hibs supporters were behind the other goals. Forgot where I was when Hibs scored and I celebrated on my own to the annoyance of the bluenoses. Did it another two times as well. Peter Marinello x 2 goals and Joe McBride.

A good day out.