PDA

View Full Version : How corrupt is top level sport?

Pretty Boy
18-01-2016, 10:10 AM
With the news breaking today regarding a match fixing scandal in tennis that wasn't investigated despite evidence being presented, just how corrupt do people think sport is?

Cycling has had to confront the fact that for the best part of 2 decades many of it's dominant figures were doped to the eyeballs, we've seen match fixing in footbal, there is the FIFA bribery scandal rumbling on, the IAAF is having to finally face up and accept they may be dealing with doping on an unprecedented scale, state supported doping in Russia that has seen them banned from some competition, at least 2 journalists during the last World Cup claimed PED use was widespread in rugby, the Spanish blood sample scandal seems to have been forgotten about, The Telegraph claimed in an article last year that more than £80bn is laundered through illegal gambling on sport......

Is it becoming increasingly clear that sport, football included, is riddled with corruption? Or are there a few extreme examples but on the whole it's still honourable competition governed fairly?

Ozyhibby
18-01-2016, 10:11 AM
Given the money involved and the fact that hardly any testing is done, I would expect drug use in football to be rife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
18-01-2016, 10:12 AM
Given the money involved and the fact that hardly any testing is done, I would expect drug use in football to be rife.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkPretty much this, it will all come out one day and there will be meltdown.

JimBHibees
18-01-2016, 10:14 AM

Think Wenger made that comment also, absolutely no doubt drug use is rife and the levels achieved by the very best in terms of performance are probably questionable to some degree. I think Tennis is also for the same reason.

JimBHibees
18-01-2016, 10:15 AM
Pretty much this, it will all come out one day and there will be meltdown.

Will it though? Have my doubts.

Golden Bear
18-01-2016, 10:17 AM
If betting is involved then the threat of some form of match fixing will always be there and in a sport like tennis it will be almost impossible to verify one way or another.

CyberSauzee
18-01-2016, 10:17 AM
Given the number of football matches listed on bookmakers' sites from all over the world at all times if the day, it's no wonder there are bent games. Probably about 5/6 per week, maybe more. A search on Amazon will show a lot of books on the subject.

Ozyhibby
18-01-2016, 10:18 AM
At lower levels in Scotland we complain about having to play 40 games a season as putting too much on the players, yet in England players like Rooney can play 70 games no problem. How does that work?

BroxburnHibee
18-01-2016, 10:19 AM
Anyone remember that Mafia guy on talksport a few months back.

He said any sport that can be gambled on is rife with corruption. The mafia target these sportsmen and women and make millions fixing the outcomes.

cabbageandribs1875
18-01-2016, 10:19 AM
the minute money gets involved in any given sport, then that sport becomes corrupt....fact

money is indeed the root of all evil :wink:

MWHIBBIES
18-01-2016, 10:23 AM
At lower levels in Scotland we complain about having to play 40 games a season as putting too much on the players, yet in England players like Rooney can play 70 games no problem. How does that work?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt isn't Rooney, it's Messi. Over 600 career games at 28 as a winger, no serious injuries and an unseen level of performance. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

JimBHibees
18-01-2016, 10:26 AM
If betting is involved then the threat of some form of match fixing will always be there and in a sport like tennis it will be almost impossible to verify one way or another.

Yep one to one games obviously much more prone to fixing like tennis and snooker etc.

Was there not one with Kavelnikov where he was one set up in a best of 3 game and then loads of money went on the other guy and an injury suddenly appeared meaning he could end the game and lost.

Jones28
18-01-2016, 10:30 AM
If there's money to be made people will want a part of it, criminal gangs and players alike.

dalkeith stu
18-01-2016, 10:37 AM
It isn't Rooney, it's Messi. Over 600 career games at 28 as a winger, no serious injuries and an unseen level of performance. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

He was given HGH injections from the age of 14.

Spike Mandela
18-01-2016, 10:43 AM
Since the scandalous affairs of Sevco and the Gorgie cheats administrations anybody that thinks our football authorities are equipped to deal with any form of corruption or cheating are delusional.

Too many self interested parties involved in running our game , and indeed the world game, over the years just leaves the feeling that sporting integrity long left the building, if indeed it was ever there.

J-C
18-01-2016, 10:50 AM
Where there's vast amount of money, there will always be corruption, either in sport or politics.

Pretty Boy
18-01-2016, 11:08 AM
I see Novak Djokovic has 'broken cover' this morning and said he was asked to fix a match but refused to do so.

J-C
18-01-2016, 11:29 AM
I see Novak Djokovic has 'broken cover' this morning and said he was asked to fix a match but refused to do so.

I think the fact he's won nearly everything in the game shows he's innocent from corruption, if he's tried to throw a match, he isn't very good at it. :greengrin

Ozyhibby
18-01-2016, 11:29 AM

But did he report it to the authorities or keep quiet? Djokovic's transformation from a player who kept retiring through tiredness into superhuman 5 set winning machine over the period of one Xmas break has always looked a bit suspect to me.

Sammy7nil
18-01-2016, 12:16 PM
But did he report it to the authorities or keep quiet? Djokovic's transformation from a player who kept retiring through tiredness into superhuman 5 set winning machine over the period of one Xmas break has always looked a bit suspect to me.

:agree::agree::agree:
Yip he could not last 5 sets but a simple change to his diet by removing gluten and he has become almost unbeatable.

JimBHibees
18-01-2016, 12:24 PM

Agree have always been hugely sceptical of his transformation from someone who in many cases struggled to see out 3 set games to someone with limitless stamina has to me been suspect. Wouldn't just include him as well. Both of the most recent Aussie finals it has been a close game until sets 3 and 4 where the other players level has dropped.

Greenworld
18-01-2016, 12:30 PM
Agree have always been hugely sceptical of his transformation from someone who in many cases struggled to see out 3 set games to someone with limitless stamina has to me been suspect. Wouldn't just include him as well. Both of the most recent Aussie finals it has been a close game until sets 3 and 4 where the other players level has dropped.
Thank god someone else agrees ive been going on about him forvyears not natural

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
18-01-2016, 12:36 PM
It isn't Rooney, it's Messi. Over 600 career games at 28 as a winger, no serious injuries and an unseen level of performance. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Messi has had spells out through injury (most recently 6 weeks+ a couple of months back IIRC) same as most other players. Just because he hasn't broke his leg, doesn't make him a cheat. I'm only 2 years younger than Messi, played football all my life and never suffered a "serious injury". That's without anything near the level of training, preparation, diet and treatment that Messi undergoes.

He's the most gifted player ever to play the game. That's the reason for the unseen level of performance.. not drugs.

lyonhibs
18-01-2016, 12:42 PM
Messi has had spells out through injury (most recently 6 weeks+ a couple of months back IIRC) same as most other players. Just because he hasn't broke his leg, doesn't make him a cheat. I'm only 2 years younger than Messi, played football all my life and never suffered a "serious injury". That's without anything near the level of training, preparation, diet and treatment that Messi undergoes.

He's the most gifted player ever to play the game. That's the reason for the unseen level of performance.. not drugs.

I thought the same about Lance Armstrong initially in the context of cycling. Never expect the best of your idols, they'll only disappoint you eventually.

Thecat23
18-01-2016, 01:11 PM
All sport has cheats and folk who take bribes. Football has its fare share, darts, horse racing the list goes on.

Can be hard to prove though unless you actually catch them taking money to throw matches.

hibees 7062
18-01-2016, 01:21 PM
If sevco get one more penalty they will have the same as every team in the league put together

bigwheel
18-01-2016, 01:26 PM
If sevco get one more penalty they will have the same as every team in the league put together

quite a stat...that said, I've not heard a big outcry that they are getting penalties they shouldn't be. I've got to conclude that they are simply more regularly in the opponents penalty box. When we got on the front foot for a few games in a row, we were getting a few penalties too.

HibsNutter
18-01-2016, 01:31 PM

I'd be more suspicious of Ronaldo, more impressive as a physical athlete. Messi's qualities couldn't be achieved by drugs.

snooky
18-01-2016, 01:39 PM

While not accusing him of any wrong doing, I have always been totally amazed at his endless stamina.
That 'how does he do it' factor inevitably spawns suspicious thoughts.

hibees 7062
18-01-2016, 01:39 PM
quite a stat...that said, I've not heard a big outcry that they are getting penalties they shouldn't be. I've got to conclude that they are simply more regularly in the opponents penalty box. When we got on the front foot for a few games in a row, we were getting a few penalties too.

We've had 3 they've had 12

snooky
18-01-2016, 01:44 PM
Special handshakes?

Ozyhibby
18-01-2016, 01:47 PM
Special handshakes?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160118/3d4a4b398c34d0f1e5fe31bdd36330a5.jpg

silverhibee
18-01-2016, 01:55 PM
All sport has cheats and folk who take bribes. Football has its fare share, darts, horse racing the list goes on.

Can be hard to prove though unless you actually catch them taking money to throw matches.

Lower leagues in Scotland are rife with dodgy betting going on, more so Under 20 games involving part time teams.

Enhancing drugs, that wee Lewis always looks to fit for my liking. :greengrin

Down South is a big problem, legal highs are very common amongst players down along with illegal drugs.

Dan Sarf
18-01-2016, 01:58 PM
Sticking my neck out here but I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of well-known Scottish clubs have been indulging in dodgy financial practices. No names, no pack drill, obviously.

woodythehibee
18-01-2016, 02:27 PM
Sports like Tennis, Snooker and Darts must be pretty high on the list of match fixing. It's so easy to lose a set or frame without looking suspicious. In snooker, it can simply be missing one shot and the frame is lost. Some sportsman can make good money from losing a set,frame or match on purpose and it is probably greater than the prize money of winning. This is undoubtedly too much of a temptation for some people.

Ryan69
18-01-2016, 02:40 PM

because Rooney gets paid about 200k a week,and doesn't have to work 40 hours to make ends meet also probably.

J-C
18-01-2016, 02:58 PM
because Rooney gets paid about 200k a week,and doesn't have to work 40 hours to make ends meet also probably.

Plus as a full time professional he'll be fitter than lower league part timers, so will be able to play longer.

jacomo
18-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Top level sport is bent. We know that FIFA is corrupt.

I imagine use of perfornance-enhancing drugs is life.

Match-fixing is rife.

Managers taking bungs and using transfer deals to line their own pockets is rife.

Ozyhibby
18-01-2016, 03:37 PM
Top level sport is bent. We know that FIFA is corrupt.

I imagine use of perfornance-enhancing drugs is life.

Match-fixing is rife.

Managers taking bungs and using transfer deals to line their own pockets is rife.

Totally agree.

Ozyhibby
18-01-2016, 03:39 PM

I was meaning in the spfl. Didn't make myself clear.
Reason we have split is because 44 games is too much for the players.

emerald green
18-01-2016, 08:36 PM
A certain Scottish professional snooker player was caught a few years ago after allegedly agreeing to take a bribe to lose frames. Probably just the tip of the iceberg as far as snooker is concerned.

Pretty Boy
18-01-2016, 08:39 PM
A certain Scottish professional snooker player was caught a few years ago after allegedly agreeing to take a bribe to lose frames. Probably just the tip of the iceberg as far as snooker is concerned.

Yep Higgins got off lightly considering what has since happened to Stephen Lee.

Sure the young lad from Musselburgh who's name escapes (Ross something) me was involved in a match that was investigated as well although he wasn't the player under suspiscion.

Was it Matt Le Tissier who admitted agreeing to give away a throw in in the 1st 20 seconds or something for betting purposes?

snooky
18-01-2016, 08:45 PM

If Willie Woodburn gets banned sine die for one heid butt and 'game fixers' can come back after a year or so, you really have to redefine the word 'justice'.

skipster7
18-01-2016, 09:00 PM
To be honest i take my hat off to guys like Lance Armstrong. When i was on drugs i couldn't have cycled 10 yards never mind win the Tour de France...:tee hee:

MWHIBBIES
18-01-2016, 09:15 PM
To be honest i take my hat off to guys like Lance Armstrong. When i was on drugs i couldn't have cycled 10 yards never mind win the Tour de France...:tee hee:I dunno why he didn't just finish 2nd, no one is going to question that and he'd still make plenty money.

brianmc
18-01-2016, 09:22 PM
I dunno why he didn't just finish 2nd, no one is going to question that and he'd still make plenty money.

Maybe he was trying to finish second buy just couldnae slow down ;-)

Viva_Palmeiras
19-01-2016, 05:59 PM
To be honest i take my hat off to guys like Lance Armstrong. When i was on drugs i couldn't have cycled 10 yards never mind win the Tour de France...:tee hee:

But could you take your hat off? ;)

As Lance cryptically wrote in his book aptly entitled "it's not about the bike".
The biggest clue overlooked by the authorities was right in front of them...

As for football that 22 games in a row needs to be explained somehow!

CropleyWasGod
19-01-2016, 06:57 PM
But could you take your hat off? ;)

As Lance cryptically wrote in his book aptly entitled "it's not about the bike".
The biggest clue overlooked by the authorities was right in front of them...

As for football that 22 games in a row needs to be explained somehow!
Lance's bike is now writing its own version of events. ...it's called "Well **** You, Lance."

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk