PDA

View Full Version : Is this an SPL squad now?

munchar
17-01-2016, 11:12 PM
With the imminent signings of Stokes & Thomson, this squad should be easily good enough to get promoted. Hopefully we can hang in there with The Rangers, because although I would fancy our chances if it came to the play offs, 1 bad game and we could be done for.
I think it's important that we keep picking up 3 points, because The Rangers will have the odd game where they don't perform, or simply can't put the ball away.
The cup games could be important to. It will give us a marker of where we stand against SPL teams, and gives the players something to look forward to.
I think our best 11 will be hard to beat. I would pick this team, (when all match fit).

3-1-4-2
Oxley- McGregor, Fontaine, Hanlon- Thomson- Henderson, McGeouch, McGinn, Stevenson- Stokes, Cummings.

3 centre backs keeping it tight through the middle and dominant in the air. Thomson, who if fit, is still a top player. Very composed on the ball, great passer, big game player & being a Hibby, will give that bit extra. Sitting in front of the defence and spraying passes about. Henderson & Stevenson getting up and down the wings, with McGeouch & McGinn running at the opposition from midfield & slipping in the front 2.
Very exciting times ahead.
Thoughts?

Stevie Reid
17-01-2016, 11:18 PM
We can't know for sure, but I'm of the belief that the squad we have now is better than any SPL squad we have had since 2009.

Sir David Gray
17-01-2016, 11:19 PM
I think the squad we've had since the beginning of the season has been a Premiership squad.

Practically every single side in the Premiership would love to have Cummings, Malonga, McGeouch, McGinn and Hanlon in their squad.

Eyrie
17-01-2016, 11:19 PM
Thomson has just left Dundee because he's struggling to play at that level. I'd discount him as a player except for the occasional substitute appearance.

But we do have a squad good enough to compete in the top half of the Premiership.

California-Hibs
17-01-2016, 11:22 PM
It's not even a debate, of course it's an SPL side. Teams would bite our hands off for players like Cummings, Malonga, McGeough, McGinn, Grey etc.

We have our best teams in years and they're great to watch!

StevieBoyKdy
17-01-2016, 11:22 PM
Was a squad capable of challenging for top 6 easily even before these two signed.

munchar
17-01-2016, 11:25 PM
Thomson has just left Dundee because he's struggling to play at that level. I'd discount him as a player except for the occasional substitute appearance.

But we do have a squad good enough to compete in the top half of the Premiership.

According to the Dundee fans, he ran the show when he played. Think he knew Hibs were interested and did what he had to do. Can see him saying he's had an injury free pre-season and so he can now cope with the SPL if we go up. No doubting his ability when fit.

BoomtownHibees
17-01-2016, 11:27 PM
With the imminent signings of Stokes & Thomson, this squad should be easily good enough to get promoted. Hopefully we can hang in there with The Rangers, because although I would fancy our chances if it came to the play offs, 1 bad game and we could be done for.
I think it's important that we keep picking up 3 points, because The Rangers will have the odd game where they don't perform, or simply can't put the ball away.
The cup games could be important to. It will give us a marker of where we stand against SPL teams, and gives the players something to look forward to.
I think our best 11 will be hard to beat. I would pick this team, (when all match fit).

3-1-4-2
Oxley- McGregor, Fontaine, Hanlon- Thomson- Henderson, McGeouch, McGinn, Stevenson- Stokes, Cummings.

3 centre backs keeping it tight through the middle and dominant in the air. Thomson, who if fit, is still a top player. Very composed on the ball, great passer, big game player & being a Hibby, will give that bit extra. Sitting in front of the defence and spraying passes about. Henderson & Stevenson getting up and down the wings, with McGeouch & McGinn running at the opposition from midfield & slipping in the front 2.
Very exciting times ahead.
Thoughts?

Can't see Henderson playing as a right wing back

munchar
17-01-2016, 11:28 PM
Was a squad capable of challenging for top 6 easily even before these two signed.

I agree, but was it a starting 11 you would STRONGLY fancy to go up before these 2?

munchar
17-01-2016, 11:31 PM
Can't see Henderson playing as a right wing back

Was thinking him or Gray, but Henderson offers more going forward. As long as he can track back, the opposition would still have to pass McGregor if they got past Henderson.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
17-01-2016, 11:36 PM

If it's down to ability/talent then you are slightly mistaken mate. He did however say he was struggling to play top flight level because of his injuries and his body couldn't handle it anymore. Not because he isn't good enough though.

emerald green
17-01-2016, 11:36 PM
Of course it's a Premiership squad now, but playing in a lower tier. That's the hole the club is currently in and has to get out of this season.

monktonharp
17-01-2016, 11:41 PM
we have a lot of players, that SPL teams would be delighted to have. our back line, our midfield and the front men are good. we should have been the winners today, against a team that did not play to win .their goalie made a couple of crucial saves, but you could tell by his time wasting that all they wanted was not to get beat, not to win. that's my opinion, and others will say we should have finished them off.

monktonharp
17-01-2016, 11:44 PM
Was a squad capable of challenging for top 6 easily even before these two signed.I never think Hibernian: challenging for top six. sorry mate.

munchar
17-01-2016, 11:48 PM
we have a lot of players, that SPL teams would be delighted to have. our back line, our midfield and the front men are good. we should have been the winners today, against a team that did not play to win .their goalie made a couple of crucial saves, but you could tell by his time wasting that all they wanted was not to get beat, not to win. that's my opinion, and others will say we should have finished them off.

Imo, Stokes playing would have finished them off. Class player. Clinical finisher.

B.H.F.C
17-01-2016, 11:48 PM
The board certainly couldn't have backed Stubbs anymore than they have.

Plenty players in our team who would get in to most premiership sides. A couple who have potential to play at a higher level than that. But it all means nothing if, come May, they haven't actually been promoted to the premiership.

munchar
17-01-2016, 11:54 PM
The board certainly couldn't have backed Stubbs anymore than they have.

Plenty players in our team who would get in to most premiership sides. A couple who have potential to play at a higher level than that. But it all means nothing if, come May, they haven't actually been promoted to the premiership.

Yip, can't ask anymore from the board. They now realise we can't have a squad who might be good enough to go up, we now have a squad who are definitely good enough to go up. Just hope they perform to the best of their ability.

Dashing Bob S
18-01-2016, 12:09 AM
i think if promoted, we would replace the following personnel; Stevenson, Fountaine, Keatings, Bartley, Boyle, Henderson (loan period over) Stokes (loan period over).

munchar
18-01-2016, 12:24 AM
i think if promoted, we would replace the following personnel; Stevenson, Fountaine, Keatings, Bartley, Boyle, Henderson (loan period over) Stokes (loan period over).

Agree 100%.
Would love to keep Stokes, but it'll be Celtic or down south.
If we want to progress, we need better than the players you listed.
A slight chance we could get Henderson on loan again depending on how he progresses, because he still wouldn't get into Celtic team.
Stevenson is a managers dream. Never complains. Would be sad to see him go. Tremendous pro, but not got the quality.

Nutmegged
18-01-2016, 01:59 AM
We can't know for sure, but I'm of the belief that the squad we have now is better than any SPL squad we have had since 2009.

Yeah I'm in complete agreement with you on this, it'll be unknown until we regularly face teams from the Premiership but I do believe its the best squad since 2009-10

BSEJVT
18-01-2016, 11:40 AM
Whilst I think we have lots of talented players who could in yester year have played in the SPL no problem, I dont think that this team would be able to cope physically

The worm has turned completely over my years watching football in that the cloggers used to play lower league and the ball players higher league.

IMO you simply wont get a kick in the SPL unless you are able to compete physically or are the one man in your team who cant but everyone else does the graft for you.

I think we would need to stiffen the team pretty considerably if we go up and there are at least 3 or 4 of the current squad who couldn't cut it.

GreenArmyyy!
18-01-2016, 11:58 AM
This was an SPL squad before the signing of those two, a very decent top six one IMO. I'm of the belief that after our signings we would be challenging Hearts and Aberdeen. Truly delighted with the squad Stubb's has put together.

jdships
18-01-2016, 12:07 PM
As always , in situations like this ," time alone will tell "!!
:greengrin:wink::flag:

twiceinathens
18-01-2016, 12:10 PM
All pie in the sky in he sky until the squad proves that they are good enough get out of this division.

Hibeewilly
18-01-2016, 12:29 PM
According to the Dundee fans, he ran the show when he played. Think he knew Hibs were interested and did what he had to do. Can see him saying he's had an injury free pre-season and so he can now cope with the SPL if we go up. No doubting his ability when fit.

Bang on the money! My Dundee mate is disappointed he is away. He says "when Thomson plays Dundee play" Best midfielder we will have when fit of course

DH1875
18-01-2016, 12:34 PM
All pie in the sky in he sky until the squad proves that they are good enough get out of this division.

Exactly what I was thinking.

MrRobot
18-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Agree 100%.
Would love to keep Stokes, but it'll be Celtic or down south.
If we want to progress, we need better than the players you listed.
A slight chance we could get Henderson on loan again depending on how he progresses, because he still wouldn't get into Celtic team.
Stevenson is a managers dream. Never complains. Would be sad to see him go. Tremendous pro, but not got the quality.

Utter bull**** regarding Stevenson. He has been a starter for every manager since John Collins(more than less) and people still question his ability? Absolutely mental.

munchar
18-01-2016, 02:24 PM
Utter bull**** regarding Stevenson. He has been a starter for every manager since John Collins(more than less) and people still question his ability? Absolutely mental.

I'm not having a go at Stevenson. If you read my post I was being complimentary about him. Good 1st division player, but as a top SPL player, I don't think he's good enough for the team we are looking to build. My opinion of course.

bruno
18-01-2016, 03:06 PM
I think you might be surprised how big the cull would be

We were surprised that Eckersley,Wilson and McHattie and to a lesser extent Carrick,and Keatings were let go from a winning team
Gomis who was a regular is also not a starter and no serious attempt was made to keep Zeefuik

These were all regular players who romped the division but all have undoubtedly been replaced with better with the jury still out on only Oshinawa.
Rossi is certainly a cut above Eckersley and Wilson, Augustyn too is much stronger and Reilly will do better than Carrick.
Djoum is an absolute gem who we are fortunate to have and Juanma is a better player than Zeefuik but mentally will need to improve

So I think you may question Hanlon, Oxley and perhaps even Fyvie as well as starters in addition to those you have quoted although I don't see as much of them as you guys do.

Stubbs has already shown the need to constantly improve his squad and I believe he will have to do so again to be competitive in the top league rather than just survive

munchar
18-01-2016, 05:34 PM
I think you might be surprised how big the cull would be

We were surprised that Eckersley,Wilson and McHattie and to a lesser extent Carrick,and Keatings were let go from a winning team
Gomis who was a regular is also not a starter and no serious attempt was made to keep Zeefuik

These were all regular players who romped the division but all have undoubtedly been replaced with better with the jury still out on only Oshinawa.
Rossi is certainly a cut above Eckersley and Wilson, Augustyn too is much stronger and Reilly will do better than Carrick.
Djoum is an absolute gem who we are fortunate to have and Juanma is a better player than Zeefuik but mentally will need to improve

So I think you may question Hanlon, Oxley and perhaps even Fyvie as well as starters in addition to those you have quoted although I don't see as much of them as you guys do.

Stubbs has already shown the need to constantly improve his squad and I believe he will have to do so again to be competitive in the top league rather than just survive

Excellent points!

We have been on a tremendous run of results, but have to put them into perspective. Most teams in this league are average at best. When it came to games that were crucial, The Rangers and Falkirk, we didn't have the answers. Players like Fyvie have improved our team, but again, if we go up, will need better quality if we have aspirations to compete in the top 6, not just compete to get there.
This isn't the best team I have seen, but probably the strongest squad. When a player drops out, someone with as much ability comes in, when in the past, it would be a utility player making up the numbers.
For years now, the board have tried to give us 1 or 2 decent signings, then a few loanees and journeymen. We started building a decent squad last year. Getting our business done early in the transfer windows, when in the past we waited to pick up bargains before the window shut, with no pre-season or game time, hence we started the season slowly. The squad has got stronger this year, and so with the signing of Stokes & Thomson (once confirmed), should leave us with a squad more than capable of going up, at the worst, through the play-offs.
We now expect to go up, rather than hope to. The boards backing has been tremendous, but if we do go up, it's signings the calibre of Stokes we need to aspire to.
Some players will feel hard done by getting released, and financially we can't afford a mass clear out, but we need to show our ambition once again by backing the manager.
Im optimistically looking forward to a strong title challenge, and 2 cup wins in Gorgie!!
GGTTH

ancient hibee
18-01-2016, 07:02 PM
I would be very disappointed to see Thomson playing regularly.We are already dreadfully lacking in pace both around the field and in build up.I'm afraid he'll make it worse.

Keith_M
18-01-2016, 07:08 PM

:agree:

lyonhibs
18-01-2016, 07:28 PM
This will be an SPL team when it's playing in the SPL, not before. Impossible to say whether or not it's a SPL quality team until then.

Nutmegged
18-01-2016, 07:33 PM
I'm not having a go at Stevenson. If you read my post I was being complimentary about him. Good 1st division player, but as a top SPL player, I don't think he's good enough for the team we are looking to build. My opinion of course.

I don't think thats harsh at all although it would be interesting to see if he can kick on under Stubbs in the top tier and continue to improve, I'd be willing to give him a chance

Eyrie
18-01-2016, 08:39 PM
If it's down to ability/talent then you are slightly mistaken mate. He did however say he was struggling to play top flight level because of his injuries and his body couldn't handle it anymore. Not because he isn't good enough though.

Which was why I said he was struggling and not that he wasn't good enough. If he could cope physically then he'd still be at Dundee.

munchar
19-01-2016, 04:58 PM
I don't think thats harsh at all although it would be interesting to see if he can kick on under Stubbs in the top tier and continue to improve, I'd be willing to give him a chance

I want all Hibs players to do well. As you say, they seem to have improved individually under Stubbs, but we won't know if it's got something to go with the calibre of opposition they face weekly until they're tested at a higher level. The 2 cup games could be a benchmark.