PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs admits Hibs have offered Cummings a bumper contract

BOB MARLEYS DUG
17-01-2016, 12:41 AM
http://ow.ly/Xa9Nv

Hibs head coach Alan Stubbs insists striker Anthony Stokes is not a replacement for Jason Cummings after admitting the highly-rated youngster has been offered a bumper new contract.

Stokes is on the verge of returning to Leith from Celtic on a loan deal for the rest of the season as Stubbs attempts to add striking reinforcements for his side’s Championship title charge.

Cummings has 18 months left on current deal
A string of English clubs have been linked with 16-goal Cummings, including Bournemouth, Derby County, Wolves, Fulham, Leeds United and Rotherham, but Stubbs admits he is hopeful that the 20-year-old, whose current deal runs until summer 2017, will pen fresh terms.

Speaking ahead of today’s Championship clash with title rivals Falkirk, Stubbs said: “Jason is not going. It’s not ‘one in’ because of something else.

“We’ve not had contact from any football club for Jason.

“We’ve offered him a new contract, a very good contract and we’re hopeful we can get something done. But that won’t happen overnight.

“I feel this is the best place for Jason.

“I do feel he can play in the Premier League. So we’re not saying to him: stay here for the next four years.

“We’re just saying to him we want to reward you for what you’ve done and in 18 months Jason might not be here.

“He might have got to the level where we find it difficult to keep him.

“We want to bring players here, improve them then they go on to another level; back down to England either the Championship or Premier League and it’s a win-win situation.

“We get good money and they go on and further their career and play at a really high level.

“We want to think about ourselves but we do think about the players as well.”

Stokes is set to arrive at Hibs with a point to prove after only two appearances for Celtic this season and Stubbs reckons the 27-year-old will be desperate to seal a place in the Republic of Ireland squad for this summer’s Euro Championship finals in France.

He added: “I think it’s a big factor in him coming here, to get back into the international fold and give Martin O’Neill a problem with his form.

“Martin knows about him and knows what his strengths are and hopefully we can provide Anthony with a platform that he can do what he does best, and that is score goals.”

Trouble

Stubbs admits he has no worries about working with Stokes, despite the player arriving with a reputation as a troublemaker.

He added: “I’m not afraid to work with someone who has a bit of personality, probably because I was a rogue myself as a lad.

“We all have moments. I was brought up in a rough area in Liverpool. We had to look after ourselves or we wouldn’t have had any sweets, they’d be taken off us.

“I like the challenge, if it does prove a challenge.”

Fingers crossed he accepts and signs!

ano hibby
17-01-2016, 07:57 AM
Club are certainly doing all the right things at the moment. Not everything can come off but I've got zero complaints about the ambition from the Board on the playing side right now.

jodjam
17-01-2016, 08:08 AM
Hibs manager talking about sweets again

green day
17-01-2016, 08:23 AM
Hibs manager talking about sweets again

What?

jodjam
17-01-2016, 08:31 AM
What?

Was referring to calderwood and his bag of sweets story. Stubbs talks about sweets near the end of the article

rcarter1
17-01-2016, 08:37 AM
My only concern with all of this, is we are already talking about moving our players on. From their performances in the Championship. One day we will actually gather some momentum and belief and purpose, such that talking about players leaving midseason is just not on. Particularly not in the generic way we seem to have done for years. Good grief it seems like a player just needs to have a few good months, and suddenly being at Hibs is some kind of bummer. and they should be playing at the 'higher level'.

ano hibby
17-01-2016, 08:57 AM
My only concern with all of this, is we are already talking about moving our players on. From their performances in the Championship. One day we will actually gather some momentum and belief and purpose, such that talking about players leaving midseason is just not on. Particularly not in the generic way we seem to have done for years. Good grief it seems like a player just needs to have a few good months, and suddenly being at Hibs is some kind of bummer. and they should be playing at the 'higher level'.

I read Stubbs comments as just acknowledging in public what we all know is the reality as well as what he will have told JC in private. No issue with that. We all want him to sign a deal so the club gets more money when/if he moves on. If we don't get promoted I'm certain he will move on & the fee could insulate us for a 3rd year in this league.

SMAXXA
17-01-2016, 09:01 AM

Think we are just being realistic. Unfortunately the Scottish league isn't the pinicle for players and that's just the way it is. I'd rather embrace this be open and work with players to improve and get the best out of them when three are here and it's got to be an attraction for other potential targets to think in going to go there and develop as that's the place to be.

lucky
17-01-2016, 09:03 AM

Hibs will always be a selling club. It's ridiculous to think anything else. It's actually a good way to attract players. Get them to sign and develop and improve them then sell them on. If JC signs the extension and continues to improve then a move to England will be there for him. Stubbs is making the point that Hibs are a good place to learn your trade and develop as a player and Hibs won't stand in your way when you've outgrown Hibs

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-01-2016, 09:08 AM
Less worried about us selling players on because the final say on whether a player wants to move sits with the player. I am not aware of any player sold that was happy to stay and we were happy to keep.

Waxy
17-01-2016, 09:08 AM
English Championship and league one shouldnt be a higher level than the SPFL but the TV cash these clubs get means they can pay just as much if not more. A bit unbalanced but thats how it is now.

Borderhibbie76
17-01-2016, 09:11 AM
I kno where ur coming from on this mate but being realistic playing in the Scottish league is always gonna be secondary to the English leagues and it's the way things are now...even Celtic can't keep hold of their top players these days

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

dp00
17-01-2016, 09:11 AM
Cummings appears to really enjoy it at hibs, hopefully he will realise that the best option is for him to take a wee pay rise just now while getting more first team experience for another year or so and then moving onto another club down south while getting the club who saved his career some cash.... Let's hope he is getting the correct advice from his agent. There are also a few in our squad or been in our squad who have went down south early and it's not worked out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim Shady
17-01-2016, 09:28 AM
English Championship and league one shouldnt be a higher level than the SPFL but the TV cash these clubs get means they can pay just as much if not more. A bit unbalanced but thats how it is now.

Players can earn more money in the non-league (National Level) than they do in the Scottish Premiership. Plenty of lads have become Millionaires in Premiership without even kicking a first team ball.

Hibbyradge
17-01-2016, 09:30 AM

Those comments are for Jason's benefit, not ours. He needs to believe that a contract extention is in his interests.

Ronniekirk
17-01-2016, 09:54 AM
So they are still Talking to stokes ( rabbit rabbit rabbit ) and Stubbs he has his fingers crossed that he accepts and signs ?So Stokes deal won't be concluded till Monday by the sound of it .
Cummings offered Bumper deal ,but some mum I jumbo psychology needed to get that extension over the line .
Stubbs have broken silence on these issues hoping that the players will back him personally and sign Their respective contracts .
Don't think he would do that unless he was confident both deals were there to be done .
Well done Stubbsy
No mention of another signing ,or K T as player coach .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keith_M
17-01-2016, 10:14 AM
Why do the MSM insist on using the word 'admits', as if the person they're referring to has just revealed a shameful secret?

jacomo
17-01-2016, 11:02 AM
Those comments are for Jason's benefit, not ours. He needs to believe that a contract extention is in his interests.

:agree:

Spot on.

Eyrie
17-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Interesting comment at the end of the equivalent article in the Scotsman (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/alan-stubbs-relishes-nurturing-anthony-stokes-on-hibs-return-1-4003107)

But, the good players always have quirks. They have done since football started. You do get some who are a little more manageable, some need managed more. Some, like Lewis Stevenson, are a dream – you don’t need to say anything, he is just a pleasure to work with – but there have been others who are not here now that you have to put your arm around and massage their egos and I like that. I don’t want everybody to be the same. I want personalities and when you want personalities you have to be able to deal with situations.

Just confirms what we already know about Stevenson as well as providing evidence that Stubbs is able to work well with players who could be perceived as a risk due to past behaviour.

The_Exile
17-01-2016, 12:21 PM
Stubbs is a phenomenal man manager, players seem like they'd run through brick walls for him if he asked them, fantastic.

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-01-2016, 12:47 PM
Was referring to calderwood and his bag of sweets story. Stubbs talks about sweets near the end of the article

I got it mate [emoji16]

emerald green
17-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Hibs will always be a selling club. It's ridiculous to think anything else. It's actually a good way to attract players. Get them to sign and develop and improve them then sell them on. If JC signs the extension and continues to improve then a move to England will be there for him. Stubbs is making the point that Hibs are a good place to learn your trade and develop as a player and Hibs won't stand in your way when you've outgrown Hibs

:agree: Every club is a selling club now. Even clubs competing at the very highest levels of the game. It's the players and their agents who call the tune now.

Jack Hackett
17-01-2016, 01:17 PM
Stubbs is a phenomenal man manager, players seem like they'd run through brick walls for him if he asked them, fantastic.

:agree:

The polar opposite of the man he replaced. He's going to be one of the greats...I feel it in my bones

rcarter1
17-01-2016, 05:56 PM
I read Stubbs comments as just acknowledging in public what we all know is the reality as well as what he will have told JC in private. No issue with that. We all want him to sign a deal so the club gets more money when/if he moves on. If we don't get promoted I'm certain he will move on & the fee could insulate us for a 3rd year in this league.

I accept that selling players is a reality, but I think that mid season with a title race, semi final and a derby scottish cup match, we could do with presenting a different set of signals. I just feel that we have for so long been the club you come to, play a bit, then leave. Openly and continuously saying this does not present an image of club with ambition, and rather just a merry go round for players. I just fell we need to divert these questions into responses like. "the club is fighting on all fronts, and we aren't interested in selling" (or something much better..)

What Alan says to Jason Cummings behind closed doors is different. What we do at the end of he season is also different. For me Mid season needs to be about the jealously protecting the club's footballing ambitions first and foremost.

ancient hibee
17-01-2016, 06:33 PM
I accept that selling players is a reality, but I think that mid season with a title race, semi final and a derby scottish cup match, we could do with presenting a different set of signals. I just feel that we have for so long been the club you come to, play a bit, then leave. Openly and continuously saying this does not present an image of club with ambition, and rather just a merry go round for players. I just fell we need to divert these questions into responses like. "the club is fighting on all fronts, and we aren't interested in selling" (or something much better..)

What Alan says to Jason Cummings behind closed doors is different. What we do at the end of he season is also different. For me Mid season needs to be about the jealously protecting the club's footballing ambitions first and foremost.

How about what he actually says "Jason isn't going"-surely clear enough.

Every player in Scotland is always for sale.Noticed Nicholson wasn't in Hearts squad yesterday-reason?

Nutmegged
17-01-2016, 06:42 PM

You get it!

Every club in Scotland is a selling club, even Celtic, their blueprint is to buy young sell for profit 2/3 years later and basically repeat continuously.

Its unfortunate thats the way it goes thrse days but until we get more investment into the game up here and can attract better players and have enough finance to entice them to stick around for 4/5 years then thats the route we have to go.

rcarter1
17-01-2016, 07:07 PM
How about what he actually says "Jason isn't going"-surely clear enough.

Every player in Scotland is always for sale.Noticed Nicholson wasn't in Hearts squad yesterday-reason?

For sure. I just think in answering a question like this, it would be best to leave it there, and move the conversation in a different direction. At the end of the day, its no big deal really, but we have almost made it our brand to be a stepping stone. It comes across a bit weak and not the 'public image' I would want the club to be known for.

jacomo
17-01-2016, 11:21 PM
For sure. I just think in answering a question like this, it would be best to leave it there, and move the conversation in a different direction. At the end of the day, its no big deal really, but we have almost made it our brand to be a stepping stone. It comes across a bit weak and not the 'public image' I would want the club to be known for.

You're missing the point.

Some clubs can pay players way more than Hibs can afford. That is just a fact.

Ambitious and talented players will want to chase that money, whether we like it or not.

Hibs need to show that they are a place for ambitious and talented players to develop. That is how we will be successful.

rcarter1
18-01-2016, 08:05 PM
You're missing the point.

Some clubs can pay players way more than Hibs can afford. That is just a fact.

Ambitious and talented players will want to chase that money, whether we like it or not.

Hibs need to show that they are a place for ambitious and talented players to develop. That is how we will be successful.

I know and agree, and maybe it is a subtle thing, but, while accepting the merry go round of players, in the middle of a season I feel we need to take a different stance; We really need to ensure all of the players at the club feel that we focusing on the success of the team, rather than the future of individuals.