PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Thomson back at ER?

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-01-2016, 11:19 AM
Just had a text to inform me that KT is back in a player/coach role. Can anybody confirm this is the case?

Danderhall Hibs
16-01-2016, 11:21 AM
A couple of boys that appear to know him (SMAXXA) have hinted this.

Brightside
16-01-2016, 11:30 AM
I await a 150 post thread about how much wages he is getting when he doesn't play a single game.

keep the faith
16-01-2016, 11:37 AM
I await a 150 post thread about how much wages he is getting when he doesn't play a single game.

I would hope most mature sensible fans would see this as a sound bit of business and that hibs will not be being stupid when it comes to games played expectation and wages.
Welcome back KT if true. Experience and passion for the club. Just what we need.
Also deserves a proper chance here after the way he was treated by our so called management team a couple of years back.

marinello59
16-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Could we stick to the topic instead of throwing out digs etc, some of us just want to know who is coming to Hibs. :thumbsup:

SunshineOnLeith
16-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Hope he's nowhere near Easter Road as anything other than a paying spectator.

The_Sauz
16-01-2016, 11:48 AM
Why?

SunshineOnLeith
16-01-2016, 11:55 AM
Why?

Because he's rubbish, constantly injured, and has a 'habit' of falling out with his manager while at Hibs.

As for the coaching element, has he done any badges? Just being past it and a Hibs fan doesn't qualify him as any kind of coach.

bigwheel
16-01-2016, 11:59 AM
Because he's rubbish, constantly injured, and has a 'habit' of falling out with his manager while at Hibs.

As for the coaching element, has he done any badges? Just being past it and a Hibs fan doesn't qualify him as any kind of coach.

Had to laugh at this...Fair point on Collins, but there is no finger that can be pointed at Thomson for his stints under Fenlon or Butcher...It was Butcher's appalling man management that isolated Thomson..not anything that he did..

Scouse Hibee
16-01-2016, 12:01 PM
While I'm still not convinced of his worth to Hibs, if he does join us then I fully support him and hope he succeeds in what ever role we may give him.

lumbo_hfc
16-01-2016, 12:02 PM
1. He's is not rubbish. Is a good player and just the kind of experience we need around the squad just now. Always gave 100% when he played aswell 2. Surely he was justified in having a fallout with butcher and more so malpas if training ground stories are true. He fell out with them because he didn't think what they were doing was right for the club.

H18S NX
16-01-2016, 12:51 PM
Not fussed

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-01-2016, 12:54 PM
Trained with the team today and Hopefully finalise the contract. Wont be in the squad for Falkirk though but Stokes will.

Aldo
16-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Trained with the team today and Hopefully finalise the contract. Wont be in the squad for Falkirk though but Stokes will.

Hope you wrapped up well BMD whilst in those bushes. Baltic oot there

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Hope you wrapped up well BMD whilst in those bushes. Baltic oot there

Tell me about it Aldo. Couldn't tell you the last time they were trimmed either :greengrin

Aldo
16-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Tell me about it Aldo. Couldn't tell you the last time they were trimmed either :greengrin

;-)

E10 Rifle
16-01-2016, 01:05 PM
It's a good move. Plenty of experience (good and bad) to pass on to youngsters and able cover should injuries hit us in the 1st team squad

Callum_62
16-01-2016, 01:06 PM
next Hibs manager

#nap

erin go bragh
16-01-2016, 01:18 PM

Why has Stokes not been announced on the fishy site . Een saying it's not done yet ? Fwiw happy with Thomson but delighted with Stokes ( even more so when it's confirmed )

GGTTH

The Harp Awakes
16-01-2016, 01:19 PM
KT was a decent player for Hibs, particularly in his first spell. He's made a few mistakes over the years, and has said a few things he shouldn't have but who hasn't especially when you're young.

He's played at a decent level, has lots of experience and is a rabid Hibby. If Stubbs thinks he can add something to the team either in a coaching role or as a player I'm happy to trust him. Welcome home Kevin.

Stantons Angel
16-01-2016, 01:22 PM
I would hope most mature sensible fans would see this as a sound bit of business and that hibs will not be being stupid when it comes to games played expectation and wages.
Welcome back KT if true. Experience and passion for the club. Just what we need.
Also deserves a proper chance here after the way he was treated by our so called management team a couple of years back.

Very well put!

Every time Kevin was brought from the bench he changed the game, maybe he has slowed down but he still has that football brain and knows how to use it!

Its a shame some people cant see a decent piece of business as being good for the club.

I hope he does well in his role as coach and can pass on a bit of his knowledge to others.

Welcome back Kevin!

Ray_
16-01-2016, 01:25 PM
Very well put!

Every time Kevin was brought from the bench he changed the game, maybe he has slowed down but he still has that football brain and knows how to use it!

Its a shame some people cant see a decent piece of business as being good for the club.

I hope he does well in his role as coach and can pass on a bit of his knowledge to others.

Welcome back Kevin!

Well Said.

BSEJVT
16-01-2016, 01:27 PM

Dont think that will be necessary

Couldn't we just change the title on the Eckersley thread, it would save an awful lot of time :-)

Hibeewilly
16-01-2016, 01:27 PM
Welcome back Kevin if. A fit Thomson would definitely be a huge asset in our midfeld. My Dundee mate is really disappointed Hartley let him go as he says "when Thomson plays Dundee play" He also says its nothing to do with ability its Hartley letting him take this opportunity

Hibeewilly
16-01-2016, 01:29 PM
I meant to say in my previous post that on the playing side its "pay per play" so the club loses nothing

stu in nottingham
16-01-2016, 01:36 PM
Very well put!

Welcome back Kevin!

Totally agree with this. I trust our manager's judgement on the issue of Kevin Thomson.

They were poor circumstances he left in last time and I think it would have been a benefit keeping him considering the state the club and team were in at the time and the prospect of an upcoming season in the Scottish Championship.

SquashedFrogg
16-01-2016, 02:39 PM

Could you list the managers he's fallen out with and the circumstances please? You seem very adamant about this. If it is a 'habit'?

Also, why don't you check if he has done any coaching badges rather than ask?

Thanks in advance.

ekhibee
16-01-2016, 03:08 PM
Sorry but I'm only interested if he's coming back in a coaching capacity. He USED to be an excellent player for Hibs, that was a long time ago, and I didn't think his last stint at ER was memorable in any way at all. I don't accept it's all down to Butcher, a lot's to do with injuries catching up with him, and he's a lot slower than he was. He'd be a great coach for us, that's why I'd be interested if he's taken or is going to take his coaching badges.

cloudy
16-01-2016, 03:27 PM
Sorry but I'm only interested if he's coming back in a coaching capacity. He USED to be an excellent player for Hibs, that was a long time ago, and I didn't think his last stint at ER was memorable in any way at all. I don't accept it's all down to Butcher, a lot's to do with injuries catching up with him, and he's a lot slower than he was. He'd be a great coach for us, that's why I'd be interested if he's taken or is going to take his coaching badges.
Already has his B licence

Boyle89
16-01-2016, 03:29 PM
He was at training today with stokes and jase was back aswell.

SunshineOnLeith
16-01-2016, 03:30 PM
Could you list the managers he's fallen out with and the circumstances please? You seem very adamant about this. If it is a 'habit'?

Also, why don't you check if he has done any coaching badges rather than ask?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think you have a good grasp of the word adamant.

Is there a central register kept of coaching qualifications that I could have checked on the SFA website or similar? Genuine question.

Beefster

Which completely contradicts what others have said elsewhere.

anon1875
LD take a bow hen, we're showing our intent here. Let's ****ing win this league.

Beefster
16-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Is there a central register kept of coaching qualifications that I could have checked on the SFA website or similar? Genuine question.

Try googling "Kevin Thomson coaching badges". That might help. HTH.

cmcd
16-01-2016, 03:41 PM

Utter rubbish and yes Kevin has been doing his coaching badges for the past 2years

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-01-2016, 03:43 PM
Which completely contradicts what others have said elsewhere.

Posted it before the STV journo so looks like I was wrong.

jacomo
16-01-2016, 08:22 PM
Katie acted like a spoilt wee girl when he worked his ticket to Rangers. But he was a young lad with a grasping agent whispering bull**** in his ear, and it was a long time ago.

I never heard a bad word about him when Pat was in charge and falling out with Terence Butcher is not a crime in my book.

So if he returns for a 3rd spell there's no issue as far as I'm concerned.

HibbyAndy
16-01-2016, 08:34 PM
Katie acted like a spoilt wee girl when he worked his ticket to Rangers. But he was a young lad with a grasping agent whispering bull**** in his ear, and it was a long time ago.

I never heard a bad word about him when Pat was in charge and falling out with Terence Butcher is not a crime in my book.

So if he returns for a 3rd spell there's no issue as far as I'm concerned.

That is kinda where i am with KT

Bay Area Hibees
16-01-2016, 08:40 PM
Same. Trust AS. They're not strangers either.

Jim44
16-01-2016, 08:43 PM
Say what you want about his chequered career at Hibs, he has a good football brain and I'd be happy to see him back, particularly in a coaching capacity.

EastCalderHibby
16-01-2016, 09:04 PM

did he not play for for us without getting paid and as for always injured that's due to putting tackles in were others wouldn't
in stubbsy we trust:gwa::flag:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-01-2016, 09:09 PM
http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-fc/dundee-captain-s-decision-to-leave-was-total-shock-to-hartley-1.920027

Paul Hartley confirms that Kevin Thomson came to him re moving on. KT didn't think body could handle top flight football any more.

Ronniekirk
16-01-2016, 09:22 PM
http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-fc/dundee-captain-s-decision-to-leave-was-total-shock-to-hartley-1.920027

Paul Hartley confirms that Kevin Thomson came to him re moving on. KT didn't think body could handle top flight football any more.

Says he hasn't trained much either Must be mainly in coaching role if he is coming on board

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SquashedFrogg
17-01-2016, 08:57 AM

You made a firm and resolute statement saying that KT had a habit (regular occurrence) of falling out with managers while at Hibs. That, by definition, is being adamant. :agree: I just asked for you to clarify this regular occurrence.

So I'm quite content with my definition of adamant but would contest your grasp of the word 'rubbish' in terms of a football player.

I'm guessing there is a way of researching his coaching credentials and merely suggested investigating this before asking the question. I'm no expert but I'm not sure he could be employed as a 'coach' unless he had some form of qualifications. Even the bare minimum. Perhaps the aim is to build on these while at the club and pass on his experience to younger players.

All IMHO of course.

lucky
17-01-2016, 09:10 AM
KT seems a decent acquisition as a coach for the U20s. He's played and won everything in Scotland. Played in a European final and also played international football. The development squad will look up to him and acknowledge he came through at Hibs and achieved a lot with his career even accounting for the injuries. The question mark over this is whether he can actually coach?

Danderhall Hibs
17-01-2016, 09:26 AM
Wonder if this is part of a succession plan? His mentor will be fairly inexperienced though so it's not obviously that.

Centre Hawf
17-01-2016, 11:00 AM
The admission that his body couldn't handle playing top flight football anymore is enough for me to know I want us to stay well clear of a situation that involves him pulling on a Hibs jersey again. This division isn't as poor as is made out to be and if his body is failing him he'd only get shown up against some of the teams at this level too. As far as coaching goes I'll leave that one up to Stubbs etc to decide as I really have no opinion on what he's like in that capacity.

SquashedFrogg
17-01-2016, 11:32 AM
If he was registered as a player I'd have thought he would only be used in emergencies and/or for the development team to help the boys around him.

I'm still not convinced about peoples absolute determination for him never to play for us again but it's about opinions I guess.

Knowledgeable, articulate and experienced.. Time will tell, but my initial thoughts are that it's a good move from Hibs.

Franck Stanton
17-01-2016, 11:49 AM
If he was registered as a player I'd have thought he would only be used in emergencies and/or for the development team to help the boys around him.

I'm still not convinced about peoples absolute determination for him never to play for us again but it's about opinions I guess.

Knowledgeable, articulate and experienced.. Time will tell, but my initial thoughts are that it's a good move from Hibs.

Something like your good self SF. Reading this thread - you don't half present a good argument , - not a lawyer by any chance ?

Mikey09
17-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Jesus Christ... Does anyone really think Hibs would give someone a coaching role with no coaching qualifications?! Really?!

oldbutdim
17-01-2016, 12:09 PM
Something like your good self SF. Reading this thread - you don't half present a good argument , - not a lawyer by any chance ?

Unlikely.

He hasn't charged, and he has been far too definite in his opinions.

Franck Stanton
17-01-2016, 12:21 PM
Unlikely.

He hasn't charged, and he has been far too definite in his opinions.

Good points, well made. Seems far too intelligent anyway.

DH1875
17-01-2016, 12:25 PM
Jesus Christ... Does anyone really think Hibs would give someone a coaching role with no coaching qualifications?! Really?!

Thought he had done his badges?

Edson Arantes
17-01-2016, 12:31 PM
He was at training today with stokes and jase was back aswell.

jase :confused:

SquashedFrogg
17-01-2016, 12:36 PM

Haha, sadly I'm not although I wish I could command their fee's :cb

MSK
17-01-2016, 12:47 PM
jase :confused:Cummings, he missed the last game due to illness

Edson Arantes
17-01-2016, 12:52 PM
Cummings, he missed the last game due to illness

Yes, I know who he is and who the poster meant. :agree:

It's just like he knows him personally with the wee nickname. :rolleyes:

Anyway, GGTTH :flag:

Franck Stanton
17-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Haha, sadly I'm not although I wish I could command their fee's :cb

Seems you have missed your calling then young man . :greengrin

ALF TUPPER
17-01-2016, 01:16 PM
I use all the player's nicknames when I'm encouraging them , cheering , supporting them. Don't see a problem with this and I have never met any of them

Stubbsy - oooooops Alan Stubbs included.

😉

BoomtownHibees
17-01-2016, 01:17 PM

Wee nickname?? Whats the issue calling him Jase?

Allant1981
17-01-2016, 01:18 PM

Whats the big deal?

Edson Arantes
17-01-2016, 01:23 PM
Whats the big deal?

No big deal.

Just an observation that's all.

Wasn't meant to be offensive.

Heisenberg
17-01-2016, 01:41 PM
@BBCAlLamont: Interesting to see Kevin Thomson at Falkirk with a Hibs coat on! Club not saying anything and nor is Kevin, for now.

jdships
17-01-2016, 01:46 PM

:agree
What exactly does he " bring to thje table " that we don't already have ?
Can't understand this obsession with bringing back ex players once they are in their
30's .

steviehibsleith
17-01-2016, 02:29 PM
If KT is back in a dual role as player/coach then id be happy with that. In Holland Spain and Germany many ex players get into coaching roles at academy level bringing a proven knowledge to the young boys. Only recently Jason Cummings has said how Riordans experience helped him if KT can help improve our teams at any level then i would say a positive.

stevenhibs
17-01-2016, 02:32 PM
If KT is back in a dual role as player/coach then id be happy with that. In Holland Spain and Germany many ex players get into coaching roles at academy level bringing a proven knowledge to the young boys. Only recently Jason Cummings has said how Riordans experience helped him if KT can help improve our teams at any level then i would say a positive.

Nail on the head in my opinion.

keep the faith
17-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Confirmed by Stubbs on the radio. "He has wealth of experience and something to offer as we move to the end of season"

tamig
17-01-2016, 02:48 PM
:agree
What exactly does he " bring to thje table " that we don't already have ?
Can't understand this obsession with bringing back ex players once they are in their
30's .

I thought he was primarily coming in as a coach? Not quite the same as some of the other ex-players we've brought back.

stokesmessiah
17-01-2016, 03:15 PM
Thomson in crowd with Hibs jacket on!

ancient hibee
17-01-2016, 03:54 PM
Surely we have a better use for the money?

Edson Arantes
17-01-2016, 04:02 PM

Agreed.

J-C
17-01-2016, 04:24 PM

He's coming in as a player/coach, if he can make any of our younger midfielders better players, then he'll earn whatever money he's on, which won't be that much tbh.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
17-01-2016, 05:20 PM

BoomtownHibees
17-01-2016, 05:20 PM

How much is he getting paid?

thebakerboy
17-01-2016, 05:24 PM
Think the one thing our midfield is missing is someone who can put his foot on the ball and make a pass. Now I dont expect KT to be the answer every game but perhaps AS can pick the matches to play him and in the mean time he helps coaching our young players. It is a win win situation and the last time he was here he had problems with that wonderful management duo we had in place and didnt really get a chance until too late to show what he can do. I hope this can be a successful time for KT and the club . :gwa:

HibsNutter
17-01-2016, 05:25 PM

Considering we'll be getting a classy player - who has experience that will influence the rest of the squad, and will not be demanding much in wages due to the expectation of playing few games, as well as the opportunity we're giving him to start his coaching career - surely we're getting a bargain.

Or would you rather we spent money on bringing someone in of the same ilk as a Mark Kerr?

Tom Hart RIP
17-01-2016, 05:29 PM
Delighted to see him back. 31 years old. Scottish international who has won five major trophies in Scotland and played in uefa cup final. He was captain of a mid table team in the top division and we are getting him as an addition to a good squad.

yekimevol
17-01-2016, 08:42 PM
He should never have been allow to leave the in first place; Any players still in contract should have been kept for the new manager to assess. I think KT can play a significant role in this team for starters he is better than Fyvie at passing the ball which will help and he is also a decent leader to have in the team. Welcome home again Thomo !!!!!

truehibernian
17-01-2016, 08:47 PM
Delighted to see him back. 31 years old. Scottish international who has won five major trophies in Scotland and played in uefa cup final. He was captain of a mid table team in the top division and we are getting him as an addition to a good squad.

Also shows what Hibs mean to him - should actually silence detractors but sadly it won't - probably one of Stubbs's best signings IMO for a host of reasons.

Edson Arantes
17-01-2016, 10:15 PM
Also shows what Hibs mean to him - should actually silence detractors but sadly it won't - probably one of Stubbs's best signings IMO for a host of reasons.

Oh come on.

One of his best signings?

Katie was good in the day but, one of his best signings?

truehibernian
17-01-2016, 10:18 PM
Oh come on.

For a number of reasons, yep.

eastmainsmsh
17-01-2016, 10:19 PM
My fav player when kt played hibs played hope he is back

keep the faith
17-01-2016, 10:23 PM
Oh come on.

I always think the katie thing is a bit yammish. Any chance of that being dropped and getting behind someone who clearly cares about our club?

Iceman1875
17-01-2016, 10:26 PM
I always think the katie thing is a bit yammish. Any chance of that being dropped and getting behind someone who clearly cares about our club?

100% this.

At Easter Road we play...

Edson Arantes
17-01-2016, 10:27 PM
My fav player when kt played hibs played hope he is back

This thread is annoying me.

Not helped by: My fav player when kt played hibs played hope he is back.

:confused::confused:

Brilliant.

BoomtownHibees
17-01-2016, 10:29 PM

Brilliant.

Don't read it then

Edson Arantes
17-01-2016, 10:30 PM

Yam I am not mate - that is for sure.

We will do the brutes at the PBS in three weeks, come back and call me that then?

truehibernian
17-01-2016, 10:32 PM

Brilliant.

Anywhere he has been he's been rated amongst his peers and previous managers - Strachan, Mowbray, Walter Smith - Hartley raves about him.

I reiterate, fantastic signing for the club ! What he passes on coaching wise will be tremendous.

A big warm welcome back Kevin.

Edson Arantes
17-01-2016, 10:35 PM
Anywhere he has been he's been rated amongst his peers and previous managers - Strachan, Mowbray, Walter Smith - Hartley raves about him.

I reiterate, fantastic signing for the club ! What he passes on coaching wise will be tremendous.

A big warm welcome back Kevin.

Opinions.

I am allowed one on here just as you are.

Sammy7nil
17-01-2016, 10:36 PM
I would rather he coached somewhere else. I never wanted him near Hibs again after the broken glass statement. Thanks for the first spell at ER Mr T but imho we should have left it there.

truehibernian
17-01-2016, 10:37 PM
Opinions.

I am allowed one on here just as you are.

Absolutely - ours differ that's all

Edson Arantes
17-01-2016, 10:40 PM
Absolutely - ours differ that's all

Fair enough. Thanks.

GGTTH :flag:

Shrekko
17-01-2016, 11:08 PM
I would rather he coached somewhere else. I never wanted him near Hibs again after the broken glass statement. Thanks for the first spell at ER Mr T but imho we should have left it there.

That statement he never made?

mentalhibee
17-01-2016, 11:25 PM
Glad he's back, will be good to have someone with his quality and experience for the run in. My mates a Dundee fan and reckons Thomson was there best player when he played.