PDA

View Full Version : Media Hibernian 3-1 St. Johnstone - League Cup Semi Final 2007 Highlights

SkootTheCat
16-01-2016, 08:53 AM
Hi, I've made another YouTube video, this time it's highlights of the League Cup semi final against St. Johnstone, anyone remember it? :wink:
Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFU5uzlUA-M

Ken
16-01-2016, 09:06 AM
Superb! Benji's composure is brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibs0666
16-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Smashing cheers mate. Do you also have the quarter final against the dogs?

ACLeith
16-01-2016, 09:12 AM
Brilliant thanks for doing that. Saints keeper same guy who currently plays for Raith? And the ref gave us a free kick that turned the game, he wouldn't do that now

Alex Trager
16-01-2016, 09:32 AM
Haha that was thoroughly enjoyable.

Browns pass is weighted brilliantly for the third

Heisenberg
16-01-2016, 09:39 AM
The St Johnstone boy that is pure raging at Benji after he slots in the third is hilarious. Simon Mensing isn't it? Just totally seething that Benji has ripped his team to bits.

hibs0666
16-01-2016, 09:47 AM
The St Johnstone boy that is pure raging at Benji after he slots in the third is hilarious. Simon Mensing isn't it? Just totally seething that Benji has ripped his team to bits.

Mensing got the hump because Benji took out the centre half in the lead up to the goal.

Lucius Apuleius
16-01-2016, 10:02 AM
Three superb goals. I missed the game, and the final so I never saw the match thread. I can imagine it though.

We were lucky. If they had scored with every shot they had we would have been hammered. Play like that in the final and we will be hammered. :devil:

SkootTheCat
16-01-2016, 10:07 AM
I must have watched Benji's goal about 30 times when editing the video, Brown's pass and Benji's finish, it's just awesome.

I do have the quarter final against Hearts and the final against Kilmarnock. I'll edit the Hearts game next.

Col2
16-01-2016, 10:22 AM
Thanks. That was a great watch. Forgot how poor we played in the main in 90 mins but it's all about getting through!!

Noticed Stewart was playing but clearly dropped out for final. Also how dull and negative is that co commentator ex Hun bassa

Keith_M
16-01-2016, 10:57 AM
Thanks for posting that.

My abiding memory of the game was that Hibs didn't play particularly well on the night and Benji in particular was getting it in the neck from a lot of Hibs Fans.

Nice way to asnwer the critics, that final goal :wink:

CRAZYHIBBY
16-01-2016, 11:17 AM
Hibs never lost when he scored

PiemanP
16-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Great watch, we didn't play very well that night and Saints had plenty of chances but we dug it out. The highlights show what Scott Brown was all about, drive and power before he was (imo) ruined at Celtc by trying to be turned into a holding mid.

snooky
16-01-2016, 11:46 AM
I was at the game and these are my memories of the night ...

1) St Johnstone tore us apart using deep cross balls time and time again (oddly enough this doesn't show up on the edit).
2) I'm a Boozie fan but he was shocking that night. I don't know if he was injured or in the huff but he never tried a leg. IMO, that was one of the reasons we struggled. I remember raging at his lethargy the whole game.
3) The ref was brilliant btw, whoever he was :wink:
4) Discovered that night that Owen Coyle had all the makings of a very good manager. Perfect tactics using his side's strengths against our weaknesses.
5) Aye, we won that night but we were damn lucky.
6) 3 great goals & plenty excitement
7) Great modern stadium ........ eh, wait a minute :hmmm:

emerald green
16-01-2016, 03:11 PM
What an excellent team Hibs had then. Players like Brown, Fletcher, Jones, Murphy and Benji to name just a few.

Benji's composure for the 3rd goal was brilliant.

California-Hibs
16-01-2016, 04:46 PM
Been wanting to watch these highlights for years! They never made it onto Youtube before now. What a night it was, incredible atmosphere, my Hearts supporting friends were raging seeing the 3 stands bouncing with green! Benji's composure for the 3rd was superb. Browns class shone big style through-out the game. What a team.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-01-2016, 05:06 PM
Fantastic watch! Remember watching that game of TV, must have been about 10. Great times!!

Liam89
16-01-2016, 05:55 PM
I could watch Benji trip up the saints centre half in the lead up to the 3rd goal all day. Apparently Benji gave the finger to the saints fans after that according to my friends who were at the game. They were raging!

PISTOL1875
16-01-2016, 07:15 PM
Wonder what Collins says to brown after the final whistle ?? JC didn't look too happy

Newhaven
16-01-2016, 07:27 PM
Seen it many times but after the first goal the hibs fan just standing on the sidelines celebrating ( not giving a SINGLE **** ) still cracks me up.

California-Hibs
16-01-2016, 07:42 PM
Seen it many times but after the first goal the hibs fan just standing on the sidelines celebrating ( not giving a SINGLE **** ) still cracks me up.

Loved that!!

trev the hat
16-01-2016, 07:50 PM
Hi, I've made another YouTube video, this time it's highlights of the League Cup semi final against St. Johnstone, anyone remember it? :wink:
Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFU5uzlUA-M

Thanks for posting, well put together 👏
Had no idea the cheat ref'd that game even though I was in the Wheatfield
Also Murphy over 100 games for Hibs a fantastic player indeed
Benji's finish along with Browns pass both top drawer.
1st time I've seen any TV of that game, enjoyed watching.

monktonharp
16-01-2016, 08:23 PM
loved watching that. did not realise that the current Dons manager played for saints that night, and gave away the foul leading to our 2nd goal. he must have been spewing, when we beat Aberdeen in this year's competition:greengrin

SonOfDavidFrancey
16-01-2016, 08:42 PM
Great viewing thank you

inglisavhibs
16-01-2016, 09:09 PM
I was at the game and these are my memories of the night ...

1) St Johnstone tore us apart using deep cross balls time and time again (oddly enough this doesn't show up on the edit).
2) I'm a Boozie fan but he was shocking that night. I don't know if he was injured or in the huff but he never tried a leg. IMO, that was one of the reasons we struggled. I remember raging at his lethargy the whole game.
3) The ref was brilliant btw, whoever he was :wink:
4) Discovered that night that Owen Coyle had all the makings of a very good manager. Perfect tactics using his side's strengths against our weaknesses.
5) Aye, we won that night but we were damn lucky.
6) 3 great goals & plenty excitement
7) Great modern stadium ........ eh, wait a minute :hmmm:
Aye and we couldn't handle Jason Scotland! in truth Saints were better than us but tired quite badly in extra time.

BSEJVT
16-01-2016, 10:51 PM
For me what turned that game was bringing on McCann & Stevenson

We were right behind the goals where Benji scored.

Mowbray's team were great but lacked a bit of bottle

I have never doubted that Mowbray's team would have lost that match.

For all Collins's faults he gave that team a bit of steel and me one of my best ever days supporting Hibs in the following final and I will always be grateful for that.

Captain Trips
16-01-2016, 11:53 PM
I cannot believe that is 9 years ago, I must be getting old as that time has flew in.

Boyle89
17-01-2016, 12:08 AM
My dad got us tickets but I couldn't go cause I had prelims 😩. Still watched the whole game on telly. Remember bricking myself cause saints were in control but was dancing round the room when "benji benji" killed the game.

MagicSwirlingShip
17-01-2016, 01:44 AM
That was magic watching that.

Just rekindled my man crush for David Murphy. What a player!!!! Sublime first touch, always found a pass, great engine!

Lewis has said he has been the biggest influence on his career and I'm starting to see alot of Murph in wee Lewie. One of our most consistent performers, a solid 7/10 every week!

lucky
17-01-2016, 08:24 AM
I remembered that they dominated the game but forgot they were a league below us. Now it's their turn to go into a semi final as favorites against a lower division team. It also shows how far we've fallen since we won the league cup 9 years ago.

GreenCastle
17-01-2016, 10:38 AM
Thanks for that!

Brings back good memories.

Was a great atmosphere and expecting the same at the next semi also. Was a weird feeling being in the home end at Tynie too.

Malthibby
17-01-2016, 11:29 AM
Aye and we couldn't handle Jason Scotland! in truth Saints were better than us but tired quite badly in extra time.

Aye & not for the first or last time.........:rolleyes:
We had some team then, but as others have said we were pretty lucky that night.
Last time I'll ever sit in that death trap of a main stand, my good lady could not believe
what she was sitting in.
GG

SkootTheCat
17-01-2016, 12:24 PM
Looks like I’ve managed to ‘whet your appetite’ for the forthcoming semi final.
Thanks for watching and for some great comments and stories from that special night.

I’m shocked how accurate some people’s memories are from 9 years ago. :LOL:

SaulGoodman
17-01-2016, 12:54 PM
Looks like I’ve managed to ‘whet your appetite’ for the forthcoming semi final.
Thanks for watching and for some great comments and stories from that special night.

I’m shocked how accurate some people’s memories are from 9 years ago. :LOL:
Speaking about vivid memories mind the big fat streaker.

FastEddieFelson
17-01-2016, 01:24 PM
What a team, man.

GreenCastle
24-01-2016, 07:30 PM
Thought this should be brought back to the front page...to wet the appetite.

spike220
25-01-2016, 07:44 AM
This is beyond a joke.... you'd have thought they would have posted the highlights sooner!

HappyHanlon
25-01-2016, 11:21 AM
Completely forgot Murphy's freekick!

Some class technique from Benji for the 3rd!

Moulin Yarns
25-01-2016, 12:41 PM
Completely forgot Murphy's freekick!

Some class technique from Benji for the 3rd!

Saints fan at work ( one of their diehard ones that live 5 minutes walk away but doesn't actually go) is still raging , saying Benji fouled the guy that ran across him in the lead up to the goal.

Spike Mandela
25-01-2016, 03:42 PM
I remembered that they dominated the game but forgot they were a league below us. Now it's their turn to go into a semi final as favorites against a lower division team. It also shows how far we've fallen since we won the league cup 9 years ago.

Exactly, and we better not underestimate the difficulty of beating a Premier division top 6 side. It's a different level.

Every player has to be up for this like the Aberdeen game and personally I cannae wait.

California-Hibs
25-01-2016, 04:32 PM
Saints fan at work ( one of their diehard ones that live 5 minutes walk away but doesn't actually go) is still raging , saying Benji fouled the guy that ran across him in the lead up to the goal.

To be fair, he did! A beautiful cheeky little clip of the defenders heals by Benji. Some composure, some finish!

iwasthere1972
25-01-2016, 04:34 PM

I think he's right. I was in the Gorgie Stand that night and was waiting on the ref blowing his whistle for a free kick. We would have probably still won it 2-1 anyway. :agree:

GreenCastle
26-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Exactly, and we better not underestimate the difficulty of beating a Premier division top 6 side. It's a different level.

Every player has to be up for this like the Aberdeen game and personally I cannae wait.

Going to be very tough - especially with ex Hibs players playing - probably want to prove a point.

We will need an Aberdeen type performance for this one :agree:

KWJ
26-01-2016, 04:16 PM
That was magic watching that.

Just rekindled my man crush for David Murphy. What a player!!!! Sublime first touch, always found a pass, great engine!

Lewis has said he has been the biggest influence on his career and I'm starting to see alot of Murph in wee Lewie. One of our most consistent performers, a solid 7/10 every week!

Hadn't thought about that before but you're right, there is definitely some similarities there. Both pretty cultured and both with an engine to go all day. Murph was the better all round player but even he wouldn't have kept up with the Duracell Bunny that is Lewis.

GreenCastle
29-01-2016, 07:51 PM
bump...

Bay Area Hibees
30-01-2016, 02:39 AM
Benji finish was class.
We were brilliant counter attacking team.
Does Benji still play?

SteveHFC
30-01-2016, 03:02 AM
anyone else can't sleep :hyper

Callum_62
30-01-2016, 03:27 AM
Does Benji still play?

he does - for FAR Rabat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdessalam_Benjelloun

IrnBru22
30-01-2016, 09:16 AM
anyone else can't sleep :hyper