PDA

View Full Version : Size of our squad

H18 SFR
14-01-2016, 06:21 PM
I was just looking at the squad page on the website, when you actually take out the players away on loan and those departed, we have a fairly small squad.

I'm not convinced the squad is big enough to compete on three fronts, surely we can expect several new faces?

Borderhibbie76
14-01-2016, 06:28 PM
I would agree now that we have shed Forster, Stanton, Anier, Feruz and Eckerlsley although it could also be said the Squad was too large in numbers 1st half of season. But if we also release El Alagui we deffo need another striker in

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

biffo1875
14-01-2016, 07:15 PM
I would agree now that we have shed Forster, Stanton, Anier, Feruz and Eckerlsley although it could also be said the Squad was too large in numbers 1st half of season. But if we also release El Alagui we deffo need another striker in

add in harris and carmicheal and farid being injured all the time .yep a few faces would be welcome ggtth

Kaiserclem
14-01-2016, 08:41 PM
Totally agree, and a bit concerned that so many changes are happening half way through the season when we were told " we will hit the ground running". Maybe realising signing injured players does not work lol

i am worried at a trend as well, players being signed injured, not good enough or being issued with contract extensions when not good enough. Even players not being given much of a chance in the first team to show what they can do. Examples would be :

Cerny, Forster, Stanton, Harris, Handling (injured but that extension??), Feeuz, Arnier, Dje Dje, Carmichael, Boyle, El Alagui, Kennedy, Booth, Eckersley, Watson.

A lot of players there who don't get a chance, are signed injured (Eckersley signing be,uses me), or not good enough. We are short and need another defender as Gunnarsson is unproven and not played for 6 weeks until Raith game, Creative midfielder required and Keatings at the tip of the diamond is a joke. We need a big man up front in case were chasing games late on and as another option as were too predictable. Thoughts??

Centre Hawf
14-01-2016, 09:10 PM
Totally agree, and a bit concerned that so many changes are happening half way through the season when we were told " we will hit the ground running". Maybe realising signing injured players does not work lol

i am worried at a trend as well, players being signed injured, not good enough or being issued with contract extensions when not good enough. Even players not being given much of a chance in the first team to show what they can do. Examples would be :

Cerny, Forster, Stanton, Harris, Handling (injured but that extension??), Feeuz, Arnier, Dje Dje, Carmichael, Boyle, El Alagui, Kennedy, Booth, Eckersley, Watson.

A lot of players there who don't get a chance, are signed injured (Eckersley signing be,uses me), or not good enough. We are short and need another defender as Gunnarsson is unproven and not played for 6 weeks until Raith game, Creative midfielder required and Keatings at the tip of the diamond is a joke. We need a big man up front in case were chasing games late on and as another option as were too predictable. Thoughts??

Think you're being harsh in a few of your points,

Cerny was signed as back up, Forster isn't good enough at the moment to get into the side so it's no surprise to see him going out on loan same can maybe be said for Stanton. Harris, Dje Dje, Kennedy, Booth, Watson, maybe Feruz and Anier as well all showed they weren't up to the standard to carry us forward that extra level we wanted to go up to.

Boyle has been a good signing, while Eckersley was signed as cover that we now don't need. El Alagui was looking promising until his injury at Alloa, no way could that be foreseen. I agree with your point regarding Handlings long extension though.

Keatings may not be my first choice for the tip of the diamond but to label it a "joke" is unfair, he's played the role during the bulk of our winning/unbeaten run and scored vital goals for us in that position and has just gone off form a little bit. I don't think theres anything wrong with a few chops and changes in this window, it's all about improving and we can always be better. No team is perfected in a single transfer window.

I trust Stubbs, he's maybe signed a couple of players who haven't worked out as well as he or ourselves would have liked but you have to remember how many he's signed that have been excellent. Almost the entirety of the squad is his and we're on the coat tails of Rangers with it. I'd say we're in a solid position and could be even better with a few changes this window.

:gwa::gwa:

Ronniekirk
14-01-2016, 09:27 PM

Even if we don't release Alagui ,it is looking increasingly likely we can't rely on him being in a position to make a contribution on any regular basis .Feruz had to go as too simiiliar in stature to Keatings and Dagnall who has clearly jumped up the pecking order and will need game time to prove he can score goals .
So with Anier being allowed to leave we don't have a big target man ( remember we tried to get Daly )
However if we are now targeting stokes and get him I would think that will use up the bulk of the Transfer kitty that's left ,and he would be starting ,so that would leave some of the other strikers down the pecking order .i am working on assumption Cummings is staying as to go into a crucial phase of the season with new partnerships up front would be risky if they didn't immediately gell .
The Norwegian guy can play a variety of positions in the back four ,but assume not left back , which leaves us relying on Lewis ,and last season he tired and needed rested , and we couldn't do that .We don't want to be in that position again .
We have a lot of Talent in midfield but the goals from there have dried up for now , and little chance of getting a free scoring midfielder in this window IMO
So I will be intrigued to see what further business we do ,and do think as things stand today we need to add to the squad .

J-C
15-01-2016, 08:49 AM
If Stokes comes that gives us 5 vying for either 2 or 3 up front, Gunnarsson is a like for like with Forster but with more experience, still like to see cover for Lewis though. I still feel we need another attacking midfielder, Dylan seems to be sitting deeper and the other two young lads seem tired looking, Sammy scored goals at U20 level but seems to have gone backwards, plus he's away on loan, Carmichael seems injury prone and his signing for me has been disappointing.