PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rate as the greatest post war British manager?

Hibernia&Alba
13-01-2016, 01:50 PM
Busby, Shankly, Stein, Paisley, Ferguson, Clough? Somebody else?

Very tough, but I think I'd say Fergie, for the way he took Aberdeen from nowhere to dominance then re-built Man United.

Smartie
13-01-2016, 01:55 PM

Very tough, but I think I'd say Fergie, for the way he took Aberdeen from nowhere to dominance then re-built Man United.

Yep, Fergie for me.

It's been great to be a football fan at the time he was around.

I'm no fan of Man U as a club but the fact that he won what he won, playing the way they played whilst bringing through so many of their own youngsters was incredible.

Just see how tough an act to follow he really is.

And that's before you get onto winning a European trophy with a provincial Scottish club.

HoboHarry
13-01-2016, 02:00 PM
Yep, Fergie for me.

I'm no fan of Man U as a club but the fact that he won what he won, playing the way they played whilst bringing through so many of their own youngsters was incredible.

And that's before you get onto winning a European trophy with a provincial Scottish club.
Two European trophies.....

Lancs Harp
13-01-2016, 02:01 PM
Think I would have to go with Ferguson too.

Clough and Shankly were both tremendous characters too as well as achieving.

Stein and Ramsey both achieved at club level and highly respected at international level.

Ian Holloway :greengrin for leading my local club and other love of my life to the promised land before Joffrey Oystons greed sent the club into a tailspin.

Hibernia&Alba
13-01-2016, 02:01 PM
Yep, Fergie for me.

Well, I am a Man United fan, but putting personal feelings aside, I think it's Fergie's longevity that really impresses. Football changed so much between his time at Aberdeen and when he finished at United, but he adapted and never stopped learning. They are all great managers that I mentioned; from a different era and hard backgrounds which gave them a particular mindset.

Smartie
13-01-2016, 02:04 PM

I stand corrected.

I always forget about those silly wee European trophies. :greengrin

The Cup Winners Cup was a bit devalued by the time it was phased out but at the pre-Champions League time when Aberdeen won it it really was a fantastic achievement.

SJNB Hibby
13-01-2016, 02:06 PM
What Fergie did with Aberdeen was fantastic---but look at what Clough did with two teams that have done bugger all since he left them---thank **** he didn't get the Ingerlund job
Toss up between those two I'd say

Hermit Crab
13-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Mike Bassett.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-01-2016, 02:15 PM
Graham Rix

Siralbertkidd
13-01-2016, 02:15 PM
Bobby Seith was my favourite

Hibernia&Alba
13-01-2016, 02:17 PM
Graham Rix

Youth team manager :stirrer:

CockneyRebel
13-01-2016, 02:22 PM

Has to be Clough for me - took two unfashionable clubs and many moderate players to unprecedented heights and neither clubs nor players have done anything since his time with them.

celthedd1
13-01-2016, 02:24 PM
Youth team manager :stirrer:

Revie !

magpie1892
13-01-2016, 02:25 PM
Clough.

celthedd1
13-01-2016, 02:26 PM
Clough.

Revie

Hibernia&Alba
13-01-2016, 02:27 PM
Has to be Clough for me - took two unfashionable clubs and many moderate players to unprecedented heights and neither clubs nor players have done anything since his time with them.

Back to back European Cups with Notts Forest! Yup, Notts Forest. Against him is the fact he only one two league titles and never won the F.A. Cup, though he was certainly a great manager.

marinello59
13-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Brian Clough.

patch1875
13-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Butcher

magpie1892
13-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Revie

Clough.

Hibernia&Alba
13-01-2016, 02:35 PM
Butcher

:giruy2:

Pretty Boy
13-01-2016, 02:36 PM
Back to back European Cups with Notts Forest! Yup, Notts Forest. Against him is the fact he only one two league titles and never won the F.A. Cup, though he was certainly a great manager.

I absolutely agree Clough was a great manager but, without wishing to devalue his European achievements, it was easier to win the European Cup in the days of straight knock out and pre seeding. Around about that time as well as Forest you had the likes of Aston Villa, Steaua Bucharest, Hamburg, Porto, Red Star Belgrade win it along with the likes of Sampdoria, Malmo, St Etienne and Club Brugge appearing in finals. Of course there was still wins by the giants like Milan, Real Madrid, Juventus, Ajax, Liverpool etc during that period.

For me it has to be Fergie. He built, dismantled and rebuilt probably 4 or 5 top teams and consistently won trophies throughout that period. I doubt there will ever be another like him.

HoboHarry
13-01-2016, 02:38 PM
Clough was fantastic for a short time but Fergie did it year in year out. Fergie for me.......

Bostonhibby
13-01-2016, 02:38 PM
Same here. Cloughie for me. Used to watch his team at forest and what he achieved with what he had was extraordinary.

Golden Bear
13-01-2016, 02:40 PM
Clough for me, great results from fewer resources.

Caversham Green
13-01-2016, 02:46 PM
Fergie probably edges it for me, but I'm also going to give Matt Busby a shout. What he did with United after nearly dying in the Munich disaster was pretty awesome. He also played for both Hibs and Reading so he figures high in my personal whataguy league. And I'm by no means a fan of Man United.

I also think Stein's achievement in winning the European Cup with Celtic should not be underestimated.

Hibernia&Alba
13-01-2016, 02:48 PM
I'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned Jock Stein hitherto. Celtic were treading water he joined them, then he won nine in a row and took them to two European Cup finals in four years.

Paisley - three European Cup wins. Only thing that goes against him, IMHO, is that he inherited what was already a great side from Bill Shankly. He didn't build a team from nothing.

patch1875
13-01-2016, 02:50 PM
:giruy2:

Serious answer

Calderwood oops Ferguson

Hibernia&Alba
13-01-2016, 02:53 PM
Fergie probably edges it for me, but I'm also going to give Matt Busby a shout. What he did with United after nearly dying in the Munich disaster was pretty awesome. He also played for both Hibs and Reading so he figures high in my personal whataguy league. And I'm by no means a fan of Man United.

I also think Stein's achievement in winning the European Cup with Celtic should not be underestimated.

Matt Busby was a great innovator who, for the first time, applied professional scouting methods to find the best youngsters across the UK an Ireland and put them into the first team. It was unheard of to bring through lads from the youth team in such numbers, and but for Munich he would have won many more trophies. But, like you say, he had to start again from scratch, but won the European Cup ten years later.

Geo_1875
13-01-2016, 02:55 PM
I absolutely agree Clough was a great manager but, without wishing to devalue his European achievements, it was easier to win the European Cup in the days of straight knock out and pre seeding. Around about that time as well as Forest you had the likes of Aston Villa, Steaua Bucharest, Hamburg, Porto, Red Star Belgrade win it along with the likes of Sampdoria, Malmo, St Etienne and Club Brugge appearing in finals. Of course there was still wins by the giants like Milan, Real Madrid, Juventus, Ajax, Liverpool etc during that period.

For me it has to be Fergie. He built, dismantled and rebuilt probably 4 or 5 top teams and consistently won trophies throughout that period. I doubt there will ever be another like him.

Sorry pal. Seeding makes it easier to win. As does league structure which works against causing upsets. Fergie did build a good team at Man Utd but all his good work was done in the early days. Clough every day of the week for me.

Pretty Boy
13-01-2016, 02:59 PM
Sorry pal. Seeding makes it easier to win. As does league structure which works against causing upsets. Fergie did build a good team at Man Utd but all his good work was done in the early days. Clough every day of the week for me.

Sorry I meant easier for a 'smaller' club to win. Of course nowadays the whole competition is geared towards making it as easy for the same 6 to 8 teams to make the latter stages each year. The days of a Nottingham Forest or Aston Villa winning it, excluding Arab or Russian investment, are long gone.

Dashing Bob S
13-01-2016, 03:28 PM
1. Clough
2. Ferguson
3. Stein

The only three worthy of consideration. The rest achieved nothing relative to that trio.

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Ferguson for me.
For what he did at Aberdeen and Manchester United.

HoboHarry
13-01-2016, 03:33 PM
1. Clough
2. Ferguson
3. Stein

The only three worthy of consideration. The rest achieved nothing relative to that trio.
Not even Stuart Baxter?

:greengrin

KeithTheHibby
13-01-2016, 03:44 PM
Fergie by a mile.

HoboHarry
13-01-2016, 03:47 PM
Sorry I meant easier for a 'smaller' club to win. Of course nowadays the whole competition is geared towards making it as easy for the same 6 to 8 teams to make the latter stages each year. The days of a Nottingham Forest or Aston Villa winning it, excluding Arab or Russian investment, are long gone.
Can you point one of those Arabs towards Easter Road please?

Unless I win the US lottery tonight of course.... :wink:

Eyrie
13-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Has to be Ferguson. Not only did he do it at two clubs, but he achieved success for three decades.

Baader
13-01-2016, 06:07 PM
Clough.

Also think Bob Paisley's achievements tend to be quite overlooked because he took over from Shankly. All phenomenal managers.

lyonhibs
13-01-2016, 06:18 PM
The answer to the question is Sir Alex Ferguson by a distance.

hibbysam
13-01-2016, 06:27 PM
Sir Alan Stubbs

Hibiza
13-01-2016, 06:31 PM

Very tough, but I think I'd say Fergie, for the way he took Aberdeen from nowhere to dominance then re-built Man United. clough.

Sammy7nil
13-01-2016, 06:43 PM
1. Clough
2. Ferguson
3. Stein

Bob Paisley's family might argue :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
13-01-2016, 06:45 PM
Paisley
Shankley
Fergie

stu in nottingham
13-01-2016, 06:58 PM
All my life I have been a massive admirer of Sir Matt Busby. A small part of that is a tenuous connection but mostly it's because of studying the Babes team he assembled, the way he picked the club up afterwards and recreated it and finally, the scintillating Best-Law-Charlton team of the sixties which contained two of my favourite players of all time. He was also a consummate gentleman and conducted himself as such at all times.

Obviously, being situated in Nottingham, Cloughie touched all of our lives in a big way here - Forest fan or not. He was an amazing character with a legion of stories about him above and beyond the usually trotted out quotes.

Brian had that glint of genius about him that I saw in no other manager or even sportsperson I can think of. He was dynamic, unpredictable and captivating at all times - incredibly charismatic. His football ability was unsurpassed in my view. Believe me, when he took over Forest they were going absolutely n-o-w-h-e-r-e. He performed a miracle and did a pretty exceptional job at D*rby too.

There must always be a caveat with Brian though - because he was at his most absurdly and outrageously brilliant when he had his managerial partner (below) by his side, working with him. They were the BEST managerial duo ever, without question.

Brian and Peter

http://bobbyfc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ec220645cloughJPG-4699189.jpg

Bostonhibby
13-01-2016, 07:38 PM
All my life I have been a massive admirer of Sir Matt Busby. A small part of that is a tenuous connection but mostly it's because of studying the Babes team he assembled, the way he picked the club up afterwards and recreated it and finally, the scintillating Best-Law-Charlton team of the sixties which contained two of my favourite players of all time. He was also a consummate gentleman and conducted himself as such at all times.

Obviously, being situated in Nottingham, Cloughie touched all of our lives in a big way here - Forest fan or not. He was an amazing character with a legion of stories about him above and beyond the usually trotted out quotes.

Brian had that glint of genius about him that I saw in no other manager or even sportsperson I can think of. He was dynamic, unpredictable and captivating at all times - incredibly charismatic. His football ability was unsurpassed in my view. Believe me, when he took over Forest they were going absolutely n-o-w-h-e-r-e. He performed a miracle and did a pretty exceptional job at D*rby too.

There must always be a caveat with Brian though - because he was at his most absurdly and outrageously brilliant when he had his managerial partner (below) by his side, working with him. They were the BEST managerial duo ever, without question.

Brian and Peter

http://bobbyfc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ec220645cloughJPG-4699189.jpg
[emoji106] Happy days, these guys showed that football tactics and player management alone was enough. Won't see their like again as running a top flight team is less about those skills and more about the cash the owners have and the mood of the prima Dona players they have in the owners stable.

We'll not see their like again in terms of success on the scale they achieved with the clubs they did it with

Colr
13-01-2016, 07:43 PM

Bob Paisley won 4

HoboHarry
13-01-2016, 07:55 PM
Bob Paisley won 4

The two were with Aberdeen. Then you need to add what he won with Man Utd.

matty_f
13-01-2016, 08:13 PM
Hard to see past Ferguson. He has an incredible, and incredibly consistent, record.

jacomo
13-01-2016, 08:14 PM
The answer to the question is Sir Alex Ferguson by a distance.

It's all about opinions of course, but if you read just this thread it's a bit silly to claim any one of these manager's achievements as 'a distance' ahead of the rest.

Fergie is undeniably one of the greats, but his achievements were helped by a revolution in football as TV money and Bosman utterly changed the game. Man Utd were right at the forefront, and used City money to rebuild the stadium, sign the best players and grow the brand. They became the richest club in the world.

Fergie helped make this happen of course, but it gave him huge advantages. He made some awful signings, but the club had so much cash it really didn't matter.

Domestically they were supreme, but you could, if being picky, argue that 2 Champions League wins was a bit underwhelming, and he should have won at least one more.

hibby6270
13-01-2016, 08:26 PM
Calderwood - but not saying whether it's Colin or Jimmy. :greengrin:greengrin:cb:cb:na na::na na:

ekhibee
13-01-2016, 08:36 PM
It's all about opinions of course, but if you read just this thread it's a bit silly to claim any one of these manager's achievements as 'a distance' ahead of the rest.

Fergie is undeniably one of the greats, but his achievements were helped by a revolution in football as TV money and Bosman utterly changed the game. Man Utd were right at the forefront, and used City money to rebuild the stadium, sign the best players and grow the brand. They became the richest club in the world.

Fergie helped make this happen of course, but it gave him huge advantages. He made some awful signings, but the club had so much cash it really didn't matter.

Domestically they were supreme, but you could, if being picky, argue that 2 Champions League wins was a bit underwhelming, and he should have won at least one more.
Best post on the subject by a mile.

anon1875
13-01-2016, 08:41 PM
they all showed great character

Bostonhibby
13-01-2016, 08:42 PM

Absolutely agree. And boy did he get out at the right time

Hibernia&Alba
13-01-2016, 08:46 PM

And would have done but for the great Barca side of 2009 and 2011 who beat United in the final each time. There's no answer to a unique player like Messi. Two European Cups, two ECWC and two world championships in addition to the enormous domestic success in England and Scotland is a great return.

allezsauzee
13-01-2016, 09:04 PM
Shankly

Iggy Pope
13-01-2016, 09:06 PM
Wenger.

ancient hibee
13-01-2016, 09:08 PM
Sir Alf.

SausageSurprise
13-01-2016, 09:18 PM
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad118/gavin0762/Mobile%20Uploads/81426E01-E917-4424-86D8-C44D52675C32_zpsrw9synh0.jpg (http://s927.photobucket.com/user/gavin0762/media/Mobile%20Uploads/81426E01-E917-4424-86D8-C44D52675C32_zpsrw9synh0.jpg.html)

hibeeron
13-01-2016, 09:20 PM
Paisley by a mile ,created two new fantastic teams and won everything going. Why he wasn't knighted and fergie was beggers belief

Ringothedog
13-01-2016, 09:23 PM
Paisley by a mile ,created two new fantastic teams and won everything going. Why he wasn't knighted and fergie was beggers belief

Shaw

Iggy Pope
13-01-2016, 09:25 PM
Shaw

Like.

Mibbes Aye
13-01-2016, 09:52 PM

One of the other factors that marks the difference is that when Clough and Paisley won, they won off the back of having to be League Champions the season before, in a time when there was remarkably healthy and diverse competition for the league title.

That's not been the case for a long time now and when Man Utd did the Treble, they won the European Cup without having qualified as champions from the season before.

Another big difference is that Clough and Paisley's achievements were pre-Bosman.

When you look at the 70s-80s you had dominance by Ajax, then Bayern Munich, then the English clubs. All those teams and their opponents were almost exclusively made up of players from their home country. Even Liverpool, in the Paisley days, were still predominantly English though their three Scottish players were probably some of the best in the world. It wasn't as if the English players they had were all first-picks internationally either, far from it.

I think from that period Leeds were probably the only finalist with a truly cosmopolitan team in that it had a spread from around the Home Nations, similar to what Liverpool evolved into, mid-80s.

Dashing Bob S
13-01-2016, 09:55 PM
Bob Paisley's family might argue :greengrin

Paisley was the Collins to Mowbray's Shankly, who DIDN'T have to sell all the players.

Hibernia&Alba
13-01-2016, 10:36 PM
One of the other factors that marks the difference is that when Clough and Paisley won, they won off the back of having to be League Champions the season before, in a time when there was remarkably healthy and diverse competition for the league title.

That's not been the case for a long time now and when Man Utd did the Treble, they won the European Cup without having qualified as champions from the season before.

Another big difference is that Clough and Paisley's achievements were pre-Bosman.

When you look at the 70s-80s you had dominance by Ajax, then Bayern Munich, then the English clubs. All those teams and their opponents were almost exclusively made up of players from their home country. Even Liverpool, in the Paisley days, were still predominantly English though their three Scottish players were probably some of the best in the world. It wasn't as if the English players they had were all first-picks internationally either, far from it.

I think from that period Leeds were probably the only finalist with a truly cosmopolitan team in that it had a spread from around the Home Nations, similar to what Liverpool evolved into, mid-80s.

But that season had to beat Barcelona, Inter, Juventus and Bayern Munich to become champions, which is far more than used to be the case in the champions only European Cup era.

snooky
13-01-2016, 11:34 PM
Ferguson
Stein
Clough

All the right managers but not necessarily in the right order, Sunshine. :wink:

Spike Mandela
13-01-2016, 11:49 PM
Clough got Nottingham promoted, then won the senior league followed by two European Cups in a time when you had to qualify as Champions. Forest were certainly no Man Utd in terms of resources making their success all the more remarkable.

Ferguson is an obvious great with success in the mega bucks era of the Premier League but for me Clough's acheivements with Forest are the greatest ever in British football.

jgl07
13-01-2016, 11:52 PM
It's a pity that it is restricted to post war managers. Otherwise Herbert Chapman would walk it.

He won two Football League Championships with Huddersfield and the team he assembled won a third in a row after he departed for Arsenal. He subsequently won two in a row with Arsenal before he dropped dead in his mid-50s with his team going in to take a third successive title.

Post war it comes down to Shankly, Stein, and Busby slugging it out with Ferguson. Why are they all Scots and indeed all from the same area of the central belt?

Cough certainly deserves a mention although he only seemed to be able to get results with Peter Taylor. The one that no-one has mentioned is Joe Mercer, again he needed Malcolm Allison but not as much as Allison needed Mercer!

ancient hibee
14-01-2016, 06:23 PM
Paisley was the Collins to Mowbray's Shankly, who DIDN'T have to sell all the players.

Shankly was the front man for Paisley's coaching.

Scouse Hibee
14-01-2016, 07:26 PM

3 European Cups with the same club some feat.

snooky
14-01-2016, 07:34 PM

:agree: Shankly was the heart, Paisley was the brains.

chinaman
14-01-2016, 10:00 PM
Shankly was the foundation of a great team,kept improving under the superb paisley.
Ferguson has to be up there like clough , both great,great managers.what about this "warbs" guy he's better than any of them , he must be; he's been mentioned in the press more than a royal birth

Bostonhibby
14-01-2016, 10:43 PM
Shankly was the foundation of a great team,kept improving under the superb paisley.
Ferguson has to be up there like clough , both great,great managers.what about this "warbs" guy he's better than any of them , he must be; he's been mentioned in the press more than a royal birth
The warbler may well be talking himself into consideration but I think that even the Scottish media would expect silverware before finally declaring him the best manager ever.

His the rangers team have an opportunity to deliver their first major trophy when they challenge the more established boys from peterhead in the petrofac final. Win that and immortality will be assured in the Scottish media.

Bill Milne
15-01-2016, 07:56 AM
The Hertz pairing of McDonald and Jardine, surely. Achieved the unthinkable by blowing a certain league win in the last game of the season!! Fergie could only look on in envy, I'm sure.

Bostonhibby
15-01-2016, 08:15 AM
The Hertz pairing of McDonald and Jardine, surely. Achieved the unthinkable by blowing a certain league win in the last game of the season!! Fergie could only look on in envy, I'm sure.
Jeez, that's a shock. I thought they won it that year. The city was full of people who followed the mid lothian team wearing tee shirts proclaiming their victory long before the formality of the trip to Dundee!

You'll be telling me next that they didn't get at least a draw at Dundee.

Any news on their cup final that year? It was their chance to do it for mid lothian.

Bill Milne
15-01-2016, 08:26 AM
Jeez, that's a shock. I thought they won it that year. The city was full of people who followed the mid lothian team wearing tee shirts proclaiming their victory long before the formality of the trip to Dundee!

You'll be telling me next that they didn't get at least a draw at Dundee.

Any news on their cup final that year? It was their chance to do it for mid lothian.

They even blew the league despite having a Jambo referee (sound familiar) in charge ie Bill Crombie, who even contrived to deny them a stonewall penalty.

Bostonhibby
15-01-2016, 08:50 AM
They even blew the league despite having a Jambo referee (sound familiar) in charge ie Bill Crombie, who even contrived to deny them a stonewall penalty.

:confused: So all those tee shirts were just another example of yam arrogance then? who'd have thought it.

Looks like I was wrong when I thought these guys were actually just overcome with joy, shame.

Ross4356
15-01-2016, 09:12 AM
Everyone should listen to this!!

Legendary Scottish journalist and Alex Fergusions biographer Hugh McIlvanney talking about Busby, Stein, Ferguson and Shankley. It's a great listen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02v850f

jacomo
15-01-2016, 09:21 AM

Warbs is also the most respectful, and had a successful career before football management, even winning the respected Regional Sales Exec of the Month (Southern Division) on one occasion.

Surely that must count for something??

Mikey09
15-01-2016, 09:23 AM
Clough... For this quote alone. "Agents?! When I played, the only agent around was 007 and he only ****ed women, not entire football clubs!!"

You read that in Cloughies voice didn't you?! :greengrin

WeeRussell
15-01-2016, 11:25 AM
Ally McCoist

heretoday
15-01-2016, 12:25 PM
Alf Ramsey. Won Ipswich the Third Division in 1957. They were First Division champions in 1962. Then he won England the World Cup in 1966. You've got to hand it to him.

It's a story of success against the odds. Also I'd rate Clough and Shankly in that regard.

celthedd1
15-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Alf Ramsey. Won Ipswich the Third Division in 1957. They were First Division champions in 1962. Then he won England the World Cup in 1966. You've got to hand it to him.

It's a story of success against the odds. Also I'd rate Clough and Shankly in that regard.

Ok I'm biased but surprised nobody has mentioned Don Revie he built Leeds from a club with no history into the best with limited resources.Probably that team was the first to have household names from 1 to 11 at the time.

snooky
15-01-2016, 01:05 PM
Aye, and as a counterbalance, half the St Mirren team ran out wearing Celtc scarves that day. :cb

heretoday
16-01-2016, 10:58 AM
Ok I'm biased but surprised nobody has mentioned Don Revie he built Leeds from a club with no history into the best with limited resources.Probably that team was the first to have household names from 1 to 11 at the time.

You're right. Bill Nicholson's Spurs were also household names in the early sixties. I'm afraid to say the Rangers team were too!

Bostonhibby
16-01-2016, 11:03 AM

Is this a dirtiest team ever thread? :offski:

Bostonhibby
16-01-2016, 11:05 AM
Aye, and as a counterbalance, half the St Mirren team ran out wearing Celtc scarves that day. :cb

Wow, if the yam had known that you'd think they'd have played for a draw at Dundee instead of a famous defeat?

GreenArmyyy!
16-01-2016, 11:07 AM
Fergie, no question. Greatest manager ever IMO.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
16-01-2016, 11:24 AM

:agree: