PDA

View Full Version : Fortuna Dusseldorf V St Pauli

St Pauli Hibee
13-01-2016, 12:01 AM
Hi everybody,

I am heading over to Dusseldorf in April for the game and am looking for some advice on bars etc. I have heard about the "Altstadt" but am looking for specifics and perhaps bars to avoid aswell.

Any advice would be appreciated

WHAM
13-01-2016, 12:10 AM
Head to Bolkerstraße. Pedestrianised street full of bars and clubs in the Alstadt. I've been a couple of times to Düsseldorf and it's always been packed. Great night out. Enjoy

wearethehibs
13-01-2016, 07:51 AM
Was there in August. As above there is a strip full of bars. Was really lively on the Saturday, like you could barley move down the street. Great fun.

Siralbertkidd
13-01-2016, 07:53 AM
Was there in August. As above there is a strip full of bars. Was really lively on the Saturday, like you could barley move down the street. Great fun.

Support the home team or you wont enjoy it!

NRW_Hibbie
13-01-2016, 09:09 AM
It's a fantastic city and Bolkerstrasse is certainly the busiest street in the Altstadt. It's changed quite a bit over the years, however, and locals rarely venture there. Lots of stag/hen parties and there's been trouble the last couple of times I've been. I would definitely still go, but be careful.

If it's a nice day, head to Uerige at the bottom of Flingerstrasse, just up from the Rhine. Find a space to stand outside and you're all set. Altbier is the tipple of choice here (and elsewhere in the city) and it's easy to knock back half a dozen (200ml) glasses before you know what's happened.

Earlier on in the evening Rattingerstrasse at the other end of the Altstadt has a number of good bars, particularly Füchschen which is a microbrewery and serves decent German food. Kreuzherreneck is a very small bar at the Rhine end of Rattingerstrasse but it's friendly and the atmosphere is excellent.

Most of the streets between Rattinger and Bolker are lively and the Kürzer bar on Kurzestrasse is another good tip. The Irish bar opposite, McLaughlin's has a couple of Matty Jack's Hibs strips hanging on the wall.

Schweine Janes on Bolkerstrasse does excellent food (pork cooked on a spit, mainly) but is pretty rough and ready. Further up Bolkerstrasse, Im Goldenen Kessel and Hausbrauerei Zum Schlüssel are both good for Altbier and German food.

St Pauli Hibee
13-01-2016, 04:14 PM
Cheers everyone for your help so far appreciate it

WHAM
13-01-2016, 04:39 PM
Support the home team or you wont enjoy it!

The last time I was there Fortuna Düsseldorf were playing at home against Eintracht Frankfurt. Got talking to a group of Eintacht hooligans before the game on Bolkerstraße after they noticed the kilts. Alll decent lads and had good words to say about the Hibs. I know there's a few Hibs lads who go across to their games and vice-versa.

It all Kicked off with the Fortuna boys later in the afternoon..with the riot cops and tear gas deployed. Pretty mental. But decent viewing from the safety of one of the outside heated terraces with a glass of Altbier.

As others have mentioned, definitely try one of the microbreweries for the food and Altbier.

pacorosssco
13-01-2016, 05:25 PM
Schumachers bierhaus. Very good. Nice by water too irish bar mcglauchans i think manager owner friends we matty jack. They were in arhnem together a few years ago