PDA

View Full Version : Your memories of the last time we played St Johnstone at Tynie in the League Cup

iwasthere1972
11-01-2016, 08:44 PM
Apart from the goals.

1. Some yam who lived in one of the upper slum flats on Gorgie Road thought that his Hearts flag would be safe hanging outside his window. Little did he know that a Hibby who was a good climber and happen to have a lighter in his pocket would be present. Result = Whoosh. :greengrin

2. The big fat St Johnstone streaker.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jOmOFBcm678

Scouse Hibee
11-01-2016, 08:56 PM
I was in the wooden ******hole stand and remember some momentos of our visit being left.

SausageSurprise
11-01-2016, 08:58 PM
I was in the wooden ******hole stand and remember some momentos of our visit being left.

Not 5-1 smeared in human toley by any chance?

stantonhibby
11-01-2016, 09:00 PM
Just got in found my seat and we scored!

iwasthere1972
11-01-2016, 09:00 PM

Were you in the turd row?

11-01-2016, 09:19 PM
The streaker hahaha!

Glory Lurker
11-01-2016, 09:24 PM
Just got in found my seat and we scored!

Just got to the top of the stairs in to the asbestos hut stand when we scored. Then spent yonks trying to find my seat, and that was sober. Pure bamboozling midden that thing.

I do remember thinking the score flattered us, and wondered if just maybe the Collins thing was not working out....

Pretty Boy
11-01-2016, 09:24 PM
I watched it in a bar in Aberdeen. I was living there at the time and for a reason I can't even remember I couldn't make it to Edinburgh.

Myself and 2 mates were the only 2 Hibbies in a bar rammed with a big group of utter morons from Perth and a lot of Aberdeen fans wanting St Johnstone to win. They were giving it big licks when they equalised. Cue myself and my mate going mental when Murphy scored and then really rubbing it in when Benji sealed it. We got a pint glass thrown at us and chased down the road. Good times.

iwasthere1972
11-01-2016, 09:34 PM
The streaker hahaha!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jOmOFBcm678

I think he walloped his 'Family Allowance' getting back over the wall. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
11-01-2016, 09:34 PM
Luke Shanley and I were doing the Hibs TV commentary for that game. We were crushed into the (joke of a) press box and had lost the feeling in our feet after about twenty minutes. Remember almost breaking the kit when Benji ensured a Hampden visit :greengrin:flag:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
11-01-2016, 09:54 PM
Sat in the wheatfield, heard a call over the tannoy to go and collect my wee felly who had managed to get himself lost on the way back from a trip to the loo. Nipped down to collect the wee man only to walk back in after Murph had lashed in the 35yd free kick. Mind the wee felly and me going mental up and down the gantry. :greengrin

Diclonius
11-01-2016, 10:05 PM
As a 15 year old that was my first game at Tynecastle. Me and Dad were down the road from up north only a wee bit after I finished school for the day. Was in the Main Stand, genuinely felt like being in the football past considering the thing was built out of wood and the seating was awfully cramped. We scored very early on and were ***** for the next 90 minutes before Murphy put us back in front at the start of extra time. All in all, a good day. :aok:

jon paul jones
12-01-2016, 01:04 AM
1. Seemed to remember seeing a lot of Panini stickers on the seats as I walked out. Odd

2. Introducing my younger brother Rob to a packed and drunken horde of hibees in the Diggers pub post-game, he got a thunderous rendition of Rob "Gold" Jones before the mgmt and staff tried to sush us down. Poor lambs. They couldn't close the place until after midnight due to the green roar

superfurryhibby
12-01-2016, 07:51 AM
Watched it on a ****ty internet connection in my flat in Spain, on Hibs TV. I remember going berserk when we scored the second goal and shocking my then partner with the post match frenzy of my celebration.

Settle for the same again, except this Tim I'll be there in person.

hibs0666
12-01-2016, 08:05 AM
Watched it on a ****ty internet connection in my flat in Spain, on Hibs TV. I remember going berserk when we scored the second goal and shocking my then partner with the post match frenzy of my celebration.

Too much information mate. :wink:

hibee_girl
12-01-2016, 08:11 AM
I remember it taking an age to get into the main stand!

Green Cabbage 7
12-01-2016, 08:25 AM
My dad died days before, I wasn't going to go, then thought he would want me too, went, just thinking of him the whole time really and how he used to drum the mighty Hibees into me, huge support beating Barcelona etc... Just thinking he was by my side as we won, at the final also!

CallumLaidlaw
12-01-2016, 09:45 AM
Just got to the top of the stairs in to the asbestos hut stand when we scored.

Same here. celebrated without actually seeing the goal

NAE NOOKIE
12-01-2016, 09:48 AM
Half way home to Galashiels after the game I found I had left my wallet in a shop in Gorgie Road. I had to drive back to Edinburgh the next day to see if the shop still had it, which they did with cash and cards intact ..... there are honest folk out there :aok:

Dav1986
12-01-2016, 09:57 AM
All their ST holders had their names on their seats and I was sitting in fatty foulkes's seat in the wheatfield right beside the TV camera. Also figuring out walking out the stadium that the final was the day after my 21st

EH54
12-01-2016, 10:12 AM
Got my shirt signed from Hogg as he was warming up :)

lyonhibs
12-01-2016, 12:17 PM
I'm sure it clashed with a big English or CL game and this I only got to watch the last few minutes of ET in the pub in Lyon. When the final whistle mate me and a Killie mate - they had been the first semi so were already through- treated the pub to a repeated rendition of "we're all going tae Hampden" then got seriously drunk!!

HappyHanlon
12-01-2016, 12:22 PM
I seem to recall a lot of hassle trying to get to my seat. Stewards were hopeless (not much has changed) and the signage in that dump was quite confusing.

Cracking night though

The Harp
12-01-2016, 12:23 PM
My dad died days before, I wasn't going to go, then thought he would want me too, went, just thinking of him the whole time really and how he used to drum the mighty Hibees into me, huge support beating Barcelona etc... Just thinking he was by my side as we won, at the final also!

Nice one GC. I experienced similar at the 3 game Cup Final in '79. My dad had died a few months before but I was still grieving. Felt he was with me then, and still do.
As for the last St.J semi, I was in the old main stand at Tincastle. Their system of seat numbering seemed strange with all of the 6 blocks having the same seat numbers (think it's still the same now). I remember great confusion well into the game with fans trying to find their seat with very ittle help from stewards. .

Hibee87
12-01-2016, 12:35 PM
Is there any highlights kicking about of this game? I dont think I have ever seen them back, and youtube seems to just have benjis goal from a fans mobile :confused:

BroxburnHibee
12-01-2016, 12:52 PM
My avatar is actually a pic of the fans in the wheatfield celebrating as Fletch ran straight toward us.

Myself and my brother clearly visible near the front. Helps to blow it up a bit mind :greengrin

skipster7
12-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Couldn't see the whole goal at the gorgie end for that daft walkway. Luckily we were all standing as Benji walked round the keeper at the end:thumbsup:
Still remember clear as day Darren Jacksons winner up the other end in the semi v Dundee Utd in the 90's. bouncing that night as well.:agree:

tam4hibs
12-01-2016, 09:51 PM
Does anyone have any highlights from the match or even the goals from that full cup run?
been looking on YouTube but can't see much except the odd mobile phone footage...

Just to get in the mood again. Or too early? :greengrin

Danny_Hibee
12-01-2016, 09:55 PM
I mind sitting behind the goals just a few rows from the front. During the warm up and a young lad with glasses was standing on the steps taking some photos on his camera...just then someone smashed a shot towards goal during the warm up and sailed inches over the young boy's head, bounced off the steps behind him and bounced directly back over his head onto the pitch! I had a feeling then that it might be our night.

iwasthere1972
12-01-2016, 09:55 PM
Is there any highlights kicking about of this game? I dont think I have ever seen them back, and youtube seems to just have benjis goal from a fans mobile :confused:

I recall recording the game and sticking it on a disc. My brother borrowed it and never returned it. I wonder if he still has it. I'll ask him. It was a long time ago but you never know.

Bishop Hibee
12-01-2016, 10:13 PM
I missed the first goal as it took an age getting into the Wheatfield. We weren't at our best but when it went to extra time I knew we'd win. Benji taking an age to put the ball in the net for the third. Tiny erupting in green and white at the final whistle 🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

SteveHFC
12-01-2016, 10:14 PM
Does anyone have any highlights from the match or even the goals from that full cup run?
been looking on YouTube but can't see much except the odd mobile phone footage...

Just to get in the mood again. Or too early? :greengrin

Have the full game on my PC. :smug:

iwasthere1972
12-01-2016, 10:21 PM
Have the full game on my PC. :smug:

Can you put the highlights on YouTube?

Just the goals. Don't bother about St.Johnstone's goal. :greengrin

StevieBoyKdy
12-01-2016, 10:28 PM
In the roseburn from 12.00, got lost going to the stadium wheat field stand somehow and some random said when I finally got in your seats there. How the hell he knew that I'll never no. Great day. Next round was even better!