PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking the use of loyalty points to make it more group-friendly

hibs0666
11-01-2016, 10:57 AM
As it stands, the way in which loyalty points are being applied provides scarce tickets to individuals that value them the most which is fair enough. However, if people wish to attend as a group, the system works based on the weakest link i.e. the level of priority associated with the person with the lowest number of points.

There will be some occasions where the loyalty points could be applied in a more group-oriented fashion, and further reward those who most value attending Hibs games.

Taking the St. Johnstone game for example, we might have three people with 400 points that wish to go as a group but also want to go with their mate who has, say, 100 points. Rather than allocate tickets on the basis of individual points, tickets would be allocated on the basis of the average number of points for the group. The effect would be to allow the group to get tickets in an earlier wave, and therefore get better seats, than they would otherwise achieve under the current approach.

This approach wouldn't work for Ibrox for example, but would be more applicable for semi final or finals.

Tin hat on. :wink:

Hermit Crab
11-01-2016, 11:01 AM
I see your point and it's fair but it would still mean some people who do not have enough points getting tickets when they shouldn't, defeating the the purpose of the points system.

HibbyKeith
11-01-2016, 11:15 AM
Get where your coming from, my youngest son is 10 and has just this season taken an interest in coming to Easter Road, both my dad and I are season ticket holders and I bought my son a half season ticket just before Christmas. He wants to go to the semi final and has enough points for phase 2 but we couldn't get seats together so he can't go.

The loyalty system will never work for absolutely everyone but it's meant to work long term. I wouldn't change anything with it just yet. We always have problems or complaints with ticket arrangements when it comes to the later stages of the cups but I'd like to see how the loyalty system works out over the next couple of years first.

We personally won't have this problem next season should we be in another semi final. My son will have a full ST next year.

Hermit Crab
11-01-2016, 11:17 AM
Get where your coming from, my youngest son is 10 and has just this season taken an interest in coming to Easter Road, both my dad and I are season ticket holders and I bought my son a half season ticket just before Christmas. He wants to go to the semi final and has enough points for phase 2 but we couldn't get seats together so he can't go.

The loyalty system will never work for absolutely everyone but it's meant to work long term. I wouldn't change anything with it just yet. We always have problems or complaints with ticket arrangements when it comes to the later stages of the cups but I'd like to see how the loyalty system works out over the next couple of years first.

We personally won't have this problem next season should we be in another semi final. My son will have a full ST next year.

You Cant get 3 together? You must be able to in some sections? :confused:

HibbyKeith
11-01-2016, 11:19 AM
My Dad and I were getting tickets in phase 1. My son's points don't allow him a ticket until phase 2.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
11-01-2016, 11:21 AM
My Dad and I were getting tickets in phase 1. My son's points don't allow him a ticket until phase 2.

Phase two starts on Wednesday. I think you'd be able to get 3 together no problem. Maybe not the best areas of the ground but at least you'd all be together.

HibbyKeith
11-01-2016, 11:25 AM
Too late mate, we've got ours already at the halfway line of the wheatfield.

The wee one was more dissapointed that I lied to him about tynecastle being a home for bad boys and girls.

My oldest son is using his little brothers ticket for this one.

iwasthere1972
11-01-2016, 11:28 AM
As it stands, the way in which loyalty points are being applied provides scarce tickets to individuals that value them the most which is fair enough. However, if people wish to attend as a group, the system works based on the weakest link i.e. the level of priority associated with the person with the lowest number of points.

There will be some occasions where the loyalty points could be applied in a more group-oriented fashion, and further reward those who most value attending Hibs games.

Taking the St. Johnstone game for example, we might have three people with 400 points that wish to go as a group but also want to go with their mate who has, say, 100 points. Rather than allocate tickets on the basis of individual points, tickets would be allocated on the basis of the average number of points for the group. The effect would be to allow the group to get tickets in an earlier wave, and therefore get better seats, than they would otherwise achieve under the current approach.

This approach wouldn't work for Ibrox for example, but would be more applicable for semi final or finals.

Not sure what the reasoning was for the split of 8,000 in the first wave and 2,000 in the second wave when we have an allocation of about 11,500. Couldn't agree with your group average suggestion for the St Johnstone match as there would be a danger of fans with really low points getting a ticket and depriving someone with higher points.

Hermit Crab
11-01-2016, 11:29 AM
Too late mate, we've got ours already at the halfway line of the wheatfield.

The wee one was more dissapointed that I lied to him about tynecastle being a home for bad boys and girls.

My oldest son is using his little brothers ticket for this one.

Im in a similar position, I've got max points but the person I'm going with only has a half season ticket so I'm getting both of ours on Wednesday. Won't be the best seats but at least we'll have tickets.

cabbageandribs1875
11-01-2016, 11:33 AM
well, i think the club got it right this time :agree:

marinello59
11-01-2016, 11:35 AM

You can't have a loyalty system where people with low points get priority over others simply because they are part of a group.

HibsNutter
11-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Tell your mates to bother going to games against the likes of Alloa/Dumbarton like the rest of us and they'll have enough points to get tickets when tickets for big games go on sale.

seanshow
11-01-2016, 11:37 AM
I see your point and it's fair but it would still mean some people who do not have enough points getting tickets when they shouldn't, defeating the the purpose of the points system.

I feel the same, if you take it too the natural conclusion... Members of a group earning points on behalf of an occasional supporter is a bad idea.

Defeats the purpose of the points system, collecting 180 loyalty points in the last 2 seasons is a fair cut off point for this Game imo.

Baldy Foghorn
11-01-2016, 11:42 AM
You can't have a loyalty system where people with low points get priority over others simply because they are part of a group.

In a nutshell.....

There should be no tinkering, it's a simplistic system.

Baldy Foghorn
11-01-2016, 11:45 AM

So you want to change process to accomodate someone who hardly goes then? Hardly a further reward for those who most value attending......

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-01-2016, 12:06 PM

:agree: I really don't understand why folk struggle to comprehend this most basic of reasons for a loyalty scheme being introduced in the first place. (If you've not got enough points wait your turn, seems fair enough).

Hermit Crab
11-01-2016, 12:07 PM
:agree: I really don't understand why folk struggle to comprehend this most basic of reasons for a loyalty scheme being introduced in the first place. (If you've not got enough points wait your turn, seems fair enough).

Tell that to HH81.

hibs0666
11-01-2016, 12:13 PM

No the intention is exactly the opposite - make sure the guys with most points get the tickets they want as early as possible.

hibs0666
11-01-2016, 12:15 PM

People tend to attend games with friends/family. There is little point in a loyalty system when you can't use them if you want to attend as part of that group.

hibs0666
11-01-2016, 12:16 PM
So you want to change process to accomodate someone who hardly goes then? Hardly a further reward for those who most value attending......

Nope I want to change it so that people who attend all the time do not have to ditch their loyalty points if they want to attend as part of a group. The current system is great if you are Billy no mates.

hibs0666
11-01-2016, 12:18 PM

You can if you want. :wink:

iwasthere1972
11-01-2016, 12:19 PM
ope I want to change it so that people who attend all the time do not have to ditch their loyalty points if they want to attend as part of a group.

No way I would ditch my loyalty points because I couldn't sit with my mates. That's if I had any. :greengrin

The scheme is in place for a reason. Those with most points get priority.

hibs0666
11-01-2016, 12:21 PM
No way I would ditch my loyalty points because I couldn't sit with my mates. That's if I had any. :greengrin

The scheme is in place for a reason. Those with most points get priority.

Yup, and I think there are situations where those with most points could get even more priority.

Danderhall Hibs
11-01-2016, 12:42 PM
Nope I want to change it so that people who attend all the time do not have to ditch their loyalty points if they want to attend as part of a group. The current system is great if you are Billy no mates.

Only if you go every week on your tod? The people you go with will have the same loyalty points as you?

Why would you ditch the mates you go every week with for a semi final?

DH1875
11-01-2016, 12:43 PM

Spot on.

iwasthere1972
11-01-2016, 12:48 PM
Yup, and I think there are situations where those with most points could get even more priority.

Even more priority? What are you asking for? Heated seat?..free pie?...VIP toilet membership with hot water and 4 ply soft toilet tissue?

Answers on a postcard to.......

WHAM
11-01-2016, 12:49 PM

Everyone in Phase 1 and Phase 2 are guaranteed tickets I believe. So you could have waited until phase 2 and got all 3 at the same time.

I get where you are coming from though. Half of our group bought tickets in Phase 1 as they wanted a better choice of seats whereas the other half will get theirs in Phase 2.

lord bunberry
11-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Only if you go every week on your tod? The people you go with will have the same loyalty points as you?

I've got much more points than my mates. They go to all the home games, but when it comes to away games it's a case of trying to persuade one of them to go with me. As a result I've ended up with enough loyalty points to get first pick every time, but I have to wait until the second phase before I get tickets. It's fine for the semi final as we've got such a big allocation, but a pain for other games.
Ive started allocating the other ticket to the same person no matter who goes, so it won't be a problem soon.

hibs0666
11-01-2016, 01:00 PM

Not necessarily - not everyone in a group goes home and away for example.

Baldy Foghorn
11-01-2016, 01:02 PM

You want the systen changed to incorporate those in your group who don't have enough points....What a great loyalty scheme that would be:rolleyes:

Hermit Crab
11-01-2016, 01:02 PM
I've got much more points than my mates. They go to all the home games, but when it comes to away games it's a case of trying to persuade one of them to go with me. As a result I've ended up with enough loyalty points to get first pick every time, but I have to wait until the second phase before I get tickets. It's fine for the semi final as we've got such a big allocation, but a pain for other games.
Ive started allocating the other ticket to the same person no matter who goes, so it won't be a problem soon.

If we get to the final it will be two per max point holder. Or at least it should be :greengrin

lord bunberry
11-01-2016, 01:16 PM
If we get to the final it will be two per max point holder. Or at least it should be :greengrin
I think three:greengrin

iwasthere1972
11-01-2016, 01:19 PM

Should be four for anybody with 400 plus points. :aok:

Hermit Crab
11-01-2016, 01:19 PM
Should be four for anybody with 400 plus points. :aok:

Seconded :greengrin

MB62
11-01-2016, 02:21 PM

Initially I agreed with your comment, but then I was thinking along the lines of 3 S.T. holders going with somebody who goes once or twice a season to the BIG games.
Thinking about it a wee bit further, If three S.T. holders wanted to go along with somebody who has say 90 points, a regular 'PATG' fan, I do believe there can be some merit in this idea.

iwasthere1972
11-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Initially I agreed with your comment, but then I was thinking along the lines of 3 S.T. holders going with somebody who goes once or twice a season to the BIG games.
Thinking about it a wee bit further, If three S.T. holders wanted to go along with somebody who has say 90 points, a regular 'PATG' fan, I do believe there can be some merit in this idea.

Just nonsense thinking that someone with not enough points can qualify because his mates have the required points.

andyf5
11-01-2016, 04:03 PM
I liked it when a season ticket holder could get two tickets and then it was up to me whether I invited a lapsed Hibbie to a big game or not. Out of three people I have done that for 1 is now a regular attender and 1 occasional. I think that's a good thing, getting people back. Saying you have a ticket for the Alloa game does not hook them in. I realise the numbers do not work for the semi but I have some sympathy for the point made by the OP.

SausageSurprise
11-01-2016, 04:15 PM
If people can't be without their mates for 90 minutes then that's there problem. No doubt these are the same four or five erseholes who always try to squeeze into three seats almost everytime we play Hearts away spoiling it for everybody else round about them

The points system isnt ideal for everyone but it's the best it's going to be. The more you attend the higher the chance you have of getting tickets with your mates, pretty simple really

PatHead
11-01-2016, 04:52 PM

With a free bonus ticket for HSL members :greengrin

Seriously I think the system is about as fair as could be provided.

Danderhall Hibs
11-01-2016, 06:47 PM
Not necessarily - not everyone in a group goes home and away for example.

If you go to the home games you're guaranteed a ticket. Unless they puck and choose and don't have a season ticket.

HH81
11-01-2016, 06:53 PM
Tell that to HH81.

I'd rather you told me.

Hermit Crab
11-01-2016, 06:55 PM
With a free bonus ticket for HSL members :greengrin

Seriously I think the system is about as fair as could be provided.

Nah, the HSL points carrot is a digrace but it's been debated to death already.

H18sry
11-01-2016, 07:11 PM
So 3700/4000 tickets for the yam's SC game, is there a breakdown as to how many fans are in each ticket bracket?

Onceinawhile
11-01-2016, 07:13 PM
So 3700/4000 tickets for the yam's SC game, is there a breakdown as to how many fans are in each ticket bracket?

180+ 8,000
90+ 10,000
1+ 20,000

H18sry
11-01-2016, 07:17 PM
180+ 8,000
90+ 10,000
1+ 20,000

It will need to be narrowed down more than that for the SC game :greengrin

hibs0666
11-01-2016, 07:26 PM
180+ 8,000
90+ 10,000
1+ 20,000

From Rangers game ticket allocation...

411+ points (circa 800 supporters)
360+ points (circa 4500 supporters)
180+ points (circa 7600 supporters)

Looks like the first points threshold for the yams cup tie will be somewhere around 380-400 points.

Capt Mainwaring
11-01-2016, 07:29 PM
You've surely got to run the scheme based on the points you earn - not who you know!

H18sry
11-01-2016, 07:34 PM
From Rangers game ticket allocation...

411+ points (circa 800 supporters)
360+ points (circa 4500 supporters)
180+ points (circa 7600 supporters)

Looks like the first points threshold for the yams cup tie will be somewhere around 380-400 points.

Cheers :thumbsup::thumbsup:

StevieC
11-01-2016, 10:07 PM
At Newcastle United you can create groups for away tickets. You choose what stand you are in and group members purchase their tickets as and when the loyalty points drop to their level. If the points don't drop to the required level for everyone in the group then those below simply don't get a ticket.

Once the tickets are all sold they are then allocated to the groups.

The plus side is that everyone in your group that got a ticket will be seated together.
The down side is that it is pot luck where about in the stand you will be seated.

Personally, I think it's better to be in a group (especially, as mentioned above, when kids are involved) than where you are actually sitting.

Speedy
11-01-2016, 10:53 PM

I don't know how practical it would be but you'd really want an option for the 4th ticket to be 'reserved for a friend - member number x1234' until let's says only 10% of tickets are remaining.

That way the group gets to stay together and if the tickets sell out before they go on sale to 90 points people then tough.

Speedy
11-01-2016, 10:54 PM
At Newcastle United you can create groups for away tickets. You choose what stand you are in and group members purchase their tickets as and when the loyalty points drop to their level. If the points don't drop to the required level for everyone in the group then those below simply don't get a ticket.

Once the tickets are all sold they are then allocated to the groups.

The plus side is that everyone in your group that got a ticket will be seated together.
The down side is that it is pot luck where about in the stand you will be seated.

Personally, I think it's better to be in a group (especially, as mentioned above, when kids are involved) than where you are actually sitting.

Note to self, read whole thread before posting :greengrin

Beefster
12-01-2016, 05:53 AM

My Auntie Agnes can't make most games because she has the bingo on a Saturday and auld Bert from next door comes in for a cup of tea and a cuddle on a Sunday.

She loves a semifinal and final though so I think she should be getting priority. My normal mates can away and raffle when Auntie Agnes wants to see the Hibs.