PDA

View Full Version : Death Trap

Itsnoteasy
10-01-2016, 02:58 PM
The concourse at Raith is never big enough. If the whole end is full, like it was yesterday, it was like cattle getting herded at half time. How did they receive a safety certificate.

WoreTheGreen
10-01-2016, 03:11 PM
Spot on just needed one to trip and what? Saftey maybe when half full not sold out

Bayern Bru
10-01-2016, 03:16 PM
I was down there just before half time to go to the bathroom and get coffees. I had to go back up into the stand because I was finding it hard to breathe in the crush. I'm well over 6ft and fairly substantial so god knows how kids and some of the elderly folk down there felt.

Another fan also started on me for 'pushing' him, right in the middle of the crush (cheers for that, whoever you were. A**e.)

But when I got home I emailed the club with a couple of photos, pointing out the dangers.

CEO replied and said they would look into it with the club's Safety Officer and get back to me.

Will keep folk posted on the reply I get.

alnewhaven
10-01-2016, 03:34 PM
Boy sitting beside me said a lassie took a panic attack at half time.

Itsnoteasy
10-01-2016, 03:37 PM
I was down there just before half time to go to the bathroom and get coffees. I had to go back up into the stand because I was finding it hard to breathe in the crush. I'm well over 6ft and fairly substantial so god knows how kids and some of the elderly folk down there felt.

Another fan also started on me for 'pushing' him, right in the middle of the crush (cheers for that, whoever you were. A**e.)

But when I got home I emailed the club with a couple of photos, pointing out the dangers.

CEO replied and said they would look into it with the club's Safety Officer and get back to me.

Bathroom? quick shower b4 start of second.

Fair play that you got a speedy reply.

Reply will be the usual s***e

cabbageandribs1875
10-01-2016, 03:38 PM
were the queues for the snack kiosks just as horrendous as they were at the League game, probably worse i would imagine

Pretty Boy
10-01-2016, 03:41 PM
I didn't go down at half time so can't comment on that.

However I do think it's a design flaw to have the food kiosks directly opposite the turnstiles as you enter. You have a steady flow of people coming in one way, walking straight into a big group queuing for food. I was in about 5 past 2 yesterday and it was already a bit crowded in that area so imagine it would be worse closer to kick off.

Craigyno1
10-01-2016, 03:52 PM
Went down for pies after 30 mins.....no probs lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Itsnoteasy
10-01-2016, 03:55 PM
I didn't go down at half time so can't comment on that.

However I do think it's a design flaw to have the food kiosks directly opposite the turnstiles as you enter. You have a steady flow of people coming in one way, walking straight into a big group queuing for food. I was in about 5 past 2 yesterday and it was already a bit crowded in that area so imagine it would be worse closer to kick off.

Lets say hypothetically they get promoted in the next few years. They should be refused on safety issues.

But as usual, nothing will happen till someone is seriously injured/killed.

Hibby Bairn
10-01-2016, 04:05 PM
We should take you lot in a tardis and go back about 35 years.

Different times I suppose. Different clientele.

Jack Hackett
10-01-2016, 04:19 PM

Ha!...You just brought to mind how the teams and the fans changed ends at half-time back then. :greengrin

Ringothedog
10-01-2016, 04:25 PM

If that was just outside the bogs then I saw it. The guy was being a pr!ck

Golden Bear
10-01-2016, 04:27 PM

:agree:

Pete
10-01-2016, 04:40 PM

The thing is, you expect modern stands that were replacing open terracing to not have any similar safety issues. Otherwise, what was the point?

Lago
10-01-2016, 04:57 PM
I am assuming that we are talking about the stand behind the goal, if so I've been in it a number of times and have never felt in any danger at all. A lot depends on people behaviour, reading between the lines seems to have been a bit of shoving and pushing going on which may have been a contributory factor.

greenlex
10-01-2016, 05:02 PM
Interestingly the announcer issued a safety warning just prior to half time asking fans to be careful in the concourse area. He stated the weather as being an issue tho. :confused:

Ringothedog
10-01-2016, 05:05 PM
I am assuming that we are talking about the stand behind the goal, if so I've been in it a number of times and have never felt in any danger at all. A lot depends on people behaviour, reading between the lines seems to have been a bit of shoving and pushing going on which may have been a contributory factor.

The problem was that the queue for the men's and ladies was merging into the kiosk queue which was beside the exit for people going for a cigarette. Anybody in the concourse could hardly move. Add in pushing, shoving and drink and I am surprised there wasn't bother

Kojock
10-01-2016, 05:16 PM
To say it was a death trap is way OTT. Yes there were a lot of people in the concourse at one time. Problem was there were folk trying to enter the concourse, folk trying to exit the concourse, folk trying to get to the food kiosks, folk coming back from the kiosks, guys going to the toilet, guys coming out the toilet, ladies going to the toilet, ladies coming out the toilet, folk going outside for a smoke and folk coming back in from having a smoke all within a confined area causing all queues to merge. If people had showed a wee bit patience instead of acting like numpties there would have been no problems.

Itsnoteasy
10-01-2016, 05:17 PM

Was the stand full to capacity? Guess not. Yes behind goals.

Hibiza
10-01-2016, 05:19 PM
Boy sitting beside me said a lassie took a panic attack at half time.
Leanne ?

PatHead
10-01-2016, 05:22 PM
Was the stand full to capacity? Guess not. Yes behind goals.

The stand behind the goals looked pretty full from where I was sitting.

Bayern Bru
10-01-2016, 05:23 PM
To say it was a death trap is way OTT. Yes there were a lot of people in the concourse at one time. Problem was there were folk trying to enter the concourse, folk trying to exit the concourse, folk trying to get to the food kiosks, folk coming back from the kiosks, guys going to the toilet, guys coming out the toilet, ladies going to the toilet, ladies coming out the toilet, folk going outside for a smoke and folk coming back in from having a smoke all within a confined area causing all queues to merge. If people had showed a wee bit patience instead of acting like numpties there would have been no problems.

I can see where you're coming from but I don't like to think about what would have happened if someone had lost their balance and fallen.

Also, the McDermid Stand holds 3,300 and there were 3,500+ Hibs fans at the game. So the stand behind the goal was almost certainly full.

10-01-2016, 06:25 PM
Kind of makes you appreciate what we have at Easter Road more. Tried to go for a hot drink for me an the boy right on h/t yesterday - gave up because couldn't get anywhere near a kiosk let alone join a queue.

Baldy Foghorn
10-01-2016, 06:38 PM
It was slippery underfoot, but when got down the stairs it was gridlocked. People started getting impatient when the pushing started.....Uncomfortable but not life threatening

Iggy Pope
10-01-2016, 06:40 PM
If more people went for a pee and back to their seats rather than hanging about fumigating the bogs as they can't go 90mins without a fag it would ease things considerably. Make it easier to breathe in the *****house at the same time.

Baldy Foghorn
10-01-2016, 06:47 PM
If more people went for a pee and back to their seats rather than hanging about fumigating the bogs as they can't go 90mins without a fag it would ease things considerably. Make it easier to breathe in the *****house at the same time.

You can smoke outside at RRFC, maybe too cold to go outside:rolleyes:

scoopyboy
10-01-2016, 06:54 PM

It didn't help that with the gents people were coming out the in door and going in the out door. This caused mayhem.

SausageSurprise
10-01-2016, 07:00 PM
Usually with full houses you always get the ********s who think to hell with the ticket numbers and just sit where they want

That really rips ma knitting

oconnors_strip
10-01-2016, 07:09 PM
It was very slippery in the concourse, a few people slipped and hurt themselves, fortunately not badly! Would hate to see it if the wet surfaces turned icey

Stoney Hibee
10-01-2016, 07:23 PM
It was very slippery in the concourse, a few people slipped and hurt themselves, fortunately not badly! Would hate to see it if the wet surfaces turned icey

The concourses were extremely slippy and am not surprised there were people falling over, however my personal highlight was arriving at my seat to find there was a massive puddle on the floor, it was like a little river, I was in YY so no idea where it came from?

Itsnoteasy
10-01-2016, 07:27 PM
The stand behind the goals looked pretty full from where I was sitting.

I was replying to above quote by Lago saying he has been a few times and never had a problem.

I know it was near capacity from where I was siting

oconnors_strip
10-01-2016, 07:47 PM
The concourses were extremely slippy and am not surprised there were people falling over, however my personal highlight was arriving at my seat to find there was a massive puddle on the floor, it was like a little river, I was in YY so no idea where it came from?

There was a drip above our seats, row OO seats 67-69

legends of 73
10-01-2016, 08:03 PM
There was a drip above our seats, row OO seats 67-69
The drip disappeared halfway through the 1st half nikki😂😂😂

iwasthere1972
10-01-2016, 08:08 PM
I was in the Railway Stand and my ticket said row AA. I don't even think they had a row AA and was told by a steward that it was the front row which as far as I could see was A. Rubbish view so went and stood at the top in the second half. Much better.

Baldy Foghorn
10-01-2016, 08:09 PM
The drip disappeared halfway through the 1st half nikki

:faf::faf:

Kojock
10-01-2016, 08:12 PM
It didn't help that with the gents people were coming out the in door and going in the out door. This caused mayhem.

The problem was that there was no clear signage indicating as to what was the in door and what was the out door

oconnors_strip
10-01-2016, 08:17 PM
The drip disappeared halfway through the 1st half nikki😂😂😂

Think that's a nice thing to call him after the way he was haha

Carheenlea
10-01-2016, 08:44 PM
I went down at HT to visit toilets, and the throng of people on concourse at top end of stand looked very uncomfortable and dangerous. Abandoned trying to get down from exit nearest railway side and went down middle exit where the congestion was nowhere near as bad.
A decent stand spectating wise, but concourse area struggles to facilitate spectator needs when full.

PatHead
10-01-2016, 08:46 PM
I went down at HT to visit toilets, and the throng of people on concourse at top end of stand looked very uncomfortable and dangerous. Abandoned trying to get down from exit nearest railway side and went down middle exit where the congestion was nowhere near as bad.
A decent stand spectating wise, but concourse area struggles to facilitate spectator needs when full.

would better stewarding have helped?

Carheenlea
10-01-2016, 08:54 PM
would better stewarding have helped?

Don't think the stewards could really do much to alleviate the problem. Dare I say it, the smoking facility probably contributed in a big way due to it's location at far end. Too many people heading to one particular area of concourse for three different reasons, catering/toilets/smoking. Can't recall the same problem back in October with pretty much a full stand mind you :dunno:

Craigyno1
11-01-2016, 07:06 AM

At least you went for a pie at the same time as me and missed the crowds!

itslegaltender
11-01-2016, 07:48 AM
the crushing did look bad, had one look at it and decided to leave it till the end of the break. Plod were nowhere to be seen.

scoopyboy
11-01-2016, 09:18 AM
The problem was that there was no clear signage indicating as to what was the in door and what was the out door

There was signage but I agree it wasn't as clear as it should've been.

Bayern Bru
11-01-2016, 09:35 AM
Raith's Safety Officer got back to me this morning... Here's what he said.

Thank you very much for the e-mail and the photographs. I am speaking with the stewarding company and Police in relation to this issue and after my review, I will update you on the result. Suffice to say I am concerned by what I see.

Best wishes and good luck in the draw

As before, will update with any further emails.

Baldy Foghorn
11-01-2016, 12:02 PM
Raith's Safety Officer got back to me this morning... Here's what he said.

As before, will update with any further emails.

Fair enough response......

monktonharp
11-01-2016, 12:17 PM
It was slippery underfoot, but when got down the stairs it was gridlocked. People started getting impatient when the pushing started.....Uncomfortable but not life threateningdisagree. they announced take care, slippery etc which was obvious on arrival, but at half time I was in a bit of a panic. jammed tight while trying to get back out of the concourse. just out of hospital after an op, was starting to think "wish I never came". I spoke to the first steward I met when getting clear of the crush and he looked at me as if I had a duck oan ma heid. he was clueless. I then went to 2 young polis, who told me "yeah ,we know. someone is dealing with it" .

Bayern Bru
13-01-2016, 08:08 AM
Fair play to Raith, they don't hang about.

I have received feedback from the stewarding company in relation to the events you described. As a result, I have reviewed our risk assessment for this area and will put in place measures to control the problem. I would hope that by next time you visit, this matter will have been fully resolved.Thanks again for the e-mail and pictures, it has enabled us to address an obvious safety risk which, until now, we were unaware existed.

Nice to actually see a club doing something about this sort of thing for a change, fair play to them.

Hermit Crab
13-01-2016, 10:16 AM
Fair play to Raith, they don't hang about.

Nice to actually see a club doing something about this sort of thing for a change, fair play to them. [/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

Yeah, good of them but that could mean a restriction of ticket allocation in future.

Lago
13-01-2016, 11:34 AM
Yeah, good of them but that could mean a restriction of ticket allocation in future.
That and a complete smoking ban in the whole area.

Hermit Crab
13-01-2016, 11:56 AM
That and a complete smoking ban in the whole area.

It wasn't the smokers that were the problem, it was the amount of people trying to get to the toilet and queue for pies and get to and from their seats. If they take away the smoking area then there will be loads of folk just smoking in the toilets instead.

Bayern Bru
13-01-2016, 08:30 PM

Basic organisation would hopefully mean that wasn't the case.