PDA

View Full Version : Who was Hibs first 'loan' player?

Forza Fred
10-01-2016, 05:36 AM
All this talk about players going on loan or coming in on loan got me thinking.

Not so long ago, when pass backs could be made to the keeper and nobody had heard of Bosman, so called loan deals never existed, certainly not among so called top clubs, other than younger players being farmed out to junior clubs.

These days it is so commonplace that Probably most clubs in Scotland would be involved in some kind of loan deal.

What I can't recall though, is who was the FIRST player Hibs got on such a loan deal.

Anyone recall?

SausageSurprise
10-01-2016, 05:43 AM
The first that I remember was Grant Brebner from Manchester United. There's bound to be a few beforehand but not that I can think of

Forza Fred
10-01-2016, 06:13 AM
The first that I remember was Grant Brebner from Manchester United. There's bound to be a few beforehand but not that I can think of

I always thought we got him from Reading, but yes, we did get him on loan from Man U.

Coincidentally, that makes it two threads on this page that Grant figures in.....the other being Australians who played for Hibs!

SausageSurprise
10-01-2016, 06:15 AM
I always thought we got him from Reading, but yes, we did get him on loan from Man U.

Coincidentally, that makes it two threads on this page that Grant figures in.....the other being Australians who played for Hibs!

He signed permanently from Reading when we got promotion again but he's the first loan I can remember

SausageSurprise
10-01-2016, 06:17 AM
A wee wiki search on Andy Walker says he was on loan. He was before Brebner so Andy Walker is leading the pack just now

Ringothedog
10-01-2016, 07:31 AM
I am sure Isaac refvik and Sven mathieson were on loan.But will more than likely be wrong as usual.

brog
10-01-2016, 07:54 AM
I am sure Isaac refvik and Sven mathieson were on loan.But will more than likely be wrong as usual.

Interesting one! My memory is they were to be full signings but there were reg problems & they may have played temporarily. My other memory is the SFA put roadblocks in our way rather than assist one of their senior clubs. About the same time we were being punished for our Bukta sponsorship! Plus ca change!

Keith_M
10-01-2016, 07:57 AM

They were both permanent signings (or should have been, if the SFA had assisted Hibs instead of trying to hinder them)

hibbybrian
10-01-2016, 09:25 AM
In the old days, loans between Hibs and Hearts were fairly common.

In 1936 Hearts loaned us Goalie Willie Waugh for 2 months, as our regular James Culley and long-serving backup John Hill were both injured.

In the 1940's Hibs loaned 3 players to Hearts, one of whom was supposed to be Lawrie Reilly, but I think he was injured and replaced at the last minute.

stantonhibby
10-01-2016, 10:04 AM

In 1936 Hearts loaned us Goalie Willie Waugh for 2 months, as our regular James Culley and long-serving backup John Hill were both injured.

In the 1940's Hibs loaned 3 players to Hearts, one of whom was supposed to be Lawrie Reilly, but I think he was injured and replaced at the last minute.

Knowledge!

SausageSurprise
10-01-2016, 10:23 AM
Who was the big Icelandic(?) guy who played in one 0-0 derby over at Gorgie bread bins then disappeared?

I think he might've been a Jocky Scott signing? it was way before Mcleish anyway

craigmounthibby
10-01-2016, 10:35 AM
When Alex Millar was manager he played Thorsten Schmugge in midfield in an away game at Aberdeen, which we won 2-0. Think it was 1994.

The guy never played for us again though, so maybe it wasn't a loan, but a trial?

craigmounthibby
10-01-2016, 10:36 AM
Who was the big Icelandic(?) guy who played in one 0-0 derby over at Gorgie bread bins then disappeared?

I think he might've been a Jocky Scott signing? it was way before Mcleish anyway
Finnish player Juha Riipa?

Pretty Boy
10-01-2016, 10:40 AM

Only player to play for Hibs that never left the centre circle in his entire career with us.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-01-2016, 10:44 AM
When Alex Millar was manager he played Thorsten Schmugge in midfield in an away game at Aberdeen, which we won 2-0. Think it was 1994.

The guy never played for us again though, so maybe it wasn't a loan, but a trial?

Was that no the bloke that took too much NightNurse ?

Colr
10-01-2016, 10:44 AM

Attempted full signings. Refvik was quite a player as I recall.

EHZERO7
10-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Martin Henderson, a forward from Rangers is one of first i remember and did we not have a striker from Brora Rangers called Jim McKay who scored on his debut against Blackburn Rovers in the Anglo Scottish Cup

Jonnyboy?????

stantonhibby
10-01-2016, 11:48 AM
Attempted full signings. Refvik was quite a player as I recall.

Yeah......the expectation was that Mathison would be the one to watch but it was Refvik who scored a couple of goals.

On a complete tangent I remember we signed Ricky Hill from Jamaica I think......signed in the winter so the headline was Brrricky Hill. Can't recall him actually playing for us.

Onceinawhile
10-01-2016, 12:02 PM
Only player to play for Hibs that never left the centre circle in his entire career with us.

Ray Wilkins?

Septimus
10-01-2016, 12:14 PM
Sir Matt Busby.

The Hibee Harp
10-01-2016, 12:22 PM
Around mid to late 80's we had Tom Carson on an emergency loan from Dundee for a game or two after Alan Rough and I think Robin Rae got injured.

Wheat Hound
10-01-2016, 12:24 PM
Around mid to late 80's we had Tom Carson on an emergency loan from Dundee for a game or two after Alan Rough and I think Robin Rae got injured.

I think this is the first actual loan signing for us

eastmainsmsh
10-01-2016, 12:33 PM
Yeah......the expectation was that Mathison would be the one to watch but it was Refvik who scored a couple of goals.

On a complete tangent I remember we signed Ricky Hill from Jamaica I think......signed in the winter so the headline was Brrricky Hill. Can't recall him actually playing for us.

Was that the same Ricky Hill that played for Luton and England Ty ?

brog
10-01-2016, 01:01 PM
Sir Matt Busby.

Not really a loan, rather a wartime signing where players were encouraged to play for a club close to where they were stationed. A great signing whichever way!

brog
10-01-2016, 01:04 PM
Martin Henderson, a forward from Rangers is one of first i remember and did we not have a striker from Brora Rangers called Jim McKay who scored on his debut against Blackburn Rovers in the Anglo Scottish Cup

Jonnyboy?????

Jim Mc was a trialist rather than a loan player. IIRC he scored at Celtc on his debut but also scored as you say in Anglo Scot cup. A bit like Rory McAllister now Jim preferred to stay up north & earn more from Footy & his p/t job. His son was also top scorer in Highland League until recently.

Iggy Pope
10-01-2016, 01:07 PM

Jonnyboy?????

I remember seeing Henderson on his debut, Pittodrie I think and I was surprised we didn't sign him. Came up from Leicester as I recall, Jock Wallace had taken him there from the Huns.

I think Jim McKay was a trialist? As well as Blackburn, I think he got a goal at Parkhead before vanishing. Peculiar.

Equally peculiar around the same era was the fellah Ricky Hill who came from Bermuda, got unveiled at ER in front of the crowd and left without kicking a ball. The Eckersley of his day.......

Hiber-nation
10-01-2016, 01:13 PM
Was that the same Ricky Hill that played for Luton and England Ty ?

Nah, not him. There's a photo of him in a Hibs programme which I have somewhere, posing on an icy ER pitch.

silverhibee
10-01-2016, 01:13 PM
How many loans have we had in since Stubbs & Leeann took over.?

Iggy Pope
10-01-2016, 01:22 PM
I remember seeing Henderson on his debut, Pittodrie I think and I was surprised we didn't sign him. Came up from Leicester as I recall, Jock Wallace had taken him there from the Huns.

I think Jim McKay was a trialist? As well as Blackburn, I think he got a goal at Parkhead before vanishing. Peculiar.

Equally peculiar around the same era was the fellah Ricky Hill who came from Bermuda, got unveiled at ER in front of the crowd and left without kicking a ball. The Eckersley of his day.......

Apologies to all the people who beat me to this....

Peevemor
10-01-2016, 01:59 PM

We signed him from Bermuda (Hotels International FC) and he was the first modern day black player in the Scottish league (or so I remember reading at the time). I went to see him in the reserves a couple of times but he never made it to the first team and returned home after 6 months or so.

The Sundance Kid
10-01-2016, 02:03 PM
How many loans have we had in since Stubbs & Leeann took over.?

Mark Oxley from Hull, Matthew Kennedy from Everton, Jake Sinclair from Southampton, Dylan McGeouch from Celtic, Martin Boyle from Dundee, Keith Watson from Dundee United, Liam Henderson from Celtic, Islam Feruz from Chelsea, Henri Anier from Dundee United and Niklas Gunnarsson from Valerenga

blackpoolhibs
10-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Hearts apparently don't agree with loan deals, and wont partake in this process of signing players.

Hibiza
10-01-2016, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=Ringothedog;4541898]I am sure Isaac refvik and Sven mathieson were on loan.But will more than likely be wrong as usual.[/QUOTEbeat me to it ringo

superfurryhibby
10-01-2016, 02:42 PM
HIbs had Sir Matt Busby on loan from Liverpool during WW2 (1941-43). Earliest loan that I'm aware of.

highland hibbee
10-01-2016, 03:15 PM
Ok, I can add a bit about Jim MacKay. I'm an Industrial Abseiler and when I did my first course, back in 2003, Jim was also on the course, I think he will be in his mid sixties now. A big fit man, and a hellish nice man too, , and from memory he's a welder. He scored an absolute screamer against Celtic, I think at Parkhead, which he took great delight in telling me about, think it was a contender for goal of the season back then, and again from memory I think he went to Sunderland, who may even have been his parent club. Hope that's some help.

Iggy Pope
10-01-2016, 03:20 PM
Ok, I can add a bit about Jim MacKay. I'm an Industrial Abseiler and when I did my first course, back in 2003, Jim was also on the course, I think he will be in his mid sixties now. A big fit man, and a hellish nice man too, , and from memory he's a welder. He scored an absolute screamer against Celtic, I think at Parkhead, which he took great delight in telling me about, think it was a contender for goal of the season back then, and again from memory I think he went to Sunderland, who may even have been his parent club. Hope that's some help.

Like!

DH1875
10-01-2016, 03:38 PM
Did was not loan celtic half a team for their first ever game???

lyonhibs
10-01-2016, 03:59 PM

I give you Ray Wilkins and to a lesser extent, Jarko Wiss. Although he did pretend to take corners so maybe that's him out of contention.

erin go bragh
10-01-2016, 03:59 PM
We loaned Celtic a few players in 1888 . And were repaid by two of their directors poaching most of our team .

GGTTH

Sweet Left Peg
10-01-2016, 04:00 PM

Juha Riipa won't be for long.

D'yer Know What I Mean?

jgl07
10-01-2016, 04:08 PM

There was an Icelandic Jim Duffy signing (Jim shopped at Iceland) called Bjarne Larusson. He came on as a sub against Motherwell and scored. He appeared a couple of of other times.He was out of his depth and McLeish emptied him pronto.

There were a number of trialists who appeared h
once before not signing but managed to get nicknames. There was the Finn called Rippa (Jack obviously) and Thorsten Schmugge (Smug *******). The latter looked really good but Hibs couldn't sort out a deal.

Peevemor
10-01-2016, 05:44 PM
There was an Icelandic Jim Duffy signing (Jim shopped at Iceland) called Bjarne Larusson. He came on as a sub against Motherwell and scored. He appeared a couple of of other times.He was out of his depth and McLeish emptied him pronto.

There were a number of trialists who appeared h
once before not signing but managed to get nicknames. There was the Finn called Rippa (Jack obviously) and Thorsten Schmugge (Smug *******). The latter looked really good but Hibs couldn't sort out a deal.

I heard that Schmugge was staying at the West End Hotel (at that time half-owned by Donald Park) and made a dick of himself with the drink - thus Hibs didn't pursue their interest.

Baader
10-01-2016, 05:46 PM
Tom Carson played a few games in goal for us on loan from Dundee in 1986 I seem to recall...

jgl07
10-01-2016, 06:33 PM
I thought that Schmugge was the one who had a dog that he could not bring with him at the time. Or am I mixing him up with someone else?

Purple & Green
10-01-2016, 11:12 PM

Alright Brian

That's the one I was going to say, but it's now triggered something in my head that we loaned at least one player to cover a game before the 1914 cup final or replay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purple & Green
10-01-2016, 11:13 PM
Tom Carson played a few games in goal for us on loan from Dundee in 1986 I seem to recall...

And Bobby smith played a few games on loan around 1981,

The late Neil Brown's site had loans detailed out post war I seem to recall.

Purple & Green
10-01-2016, 11:31 PM
On a similar note I think I found in the region of 30 players listed as junior or trialist going back to 1893 - some during the wars, some in the second division years 31-33.