PDA

View Full Version : Osman / Stubbs / Racism

jodjam
09-01-2016, 04:25 PM
Missed game today. Watched SSN in Tenerife with some elderly Everton fans. Wanted to chat Stubbs and they mentioned Osman signing.

Cue second goal. I jump up in delight. I'm asked who malonga is. I tell them and met with the reply "a black badŁ@rd". My simple reply as Everton were 1up was who scored their goal.

Just truly mental in this day and age. Ggtth

Nameless
09-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Some people are just born ********s.

Greencore
09-01-2016, 04:29 PM
If they said anything like that at Goodison they would be kicked about. Considering the love Everton fans have for big rom.

Spike Mandela
09-01-2016, 04:32 PM
Even in this day and age racism is never far from the surface, some of the things I hear others say in my work , at Hibs games and in the pubs still make me cringe and my toes curl.

If my daughters and their friends are anything to go by though thankfully the younger generation will see it slowly eradicating.

sambajustice
09-01-2016, 04:33 PM
Missed game today. Watched SSN in Tenerife with some elderly Everton fans. Wanted to chat Stubbs and they mentioned Osman signing.

Cue second goal. I jump up in delight. I'm asked who malonga is. I tell them and met with the reply "a black badŁ@rd". My simple reply as Everton were 1up was who scored their goal.

Hmmmm, I experienced something similar with an Everton fan recently. I had my nike Hibs polo on, not expecting anyone to know who Hibs were in West Yorkshire, toddled off up to the local and got a few looks, one boy in the bog started calling me a Fenian B, (about 5 times), started slavering about the Louden Tavern, called me a fenian ******* again, realised it was a Hibs top and then decided I wasn't a fenian b.

Mental, kind of lost respect for everton now tbh!

Pretty Boy
09-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Hmmmm, I experienced something similar with an Everton fan recently. I had my nike Hibs polo on, not expecting anyone to know who Hibs were in West Yorkshire, toddled off up to the local and got a few looks, one boy in the bog started calling me a Fenian B, (about 5 times), started slavering about the Louden Tavern, called me a fenian ******* again, realised it was a Hibs top and then decided I wasn't a fenian b.

Are Everton not the 'Catholic' club in Liverpool?

Obviously no other city is as tragic about these things as Glasgow but historically speaking.

Greencore
09-01-2016, 04:36 PM

Don't they have a chapel on their badge?

GordonHFC
09-01-2016, 04:40 PM

Isn't Goodison built on to the side of a chapel?

emerald green
09-01-2016, 04:44 PM

It's not a chapel. It's called the Everton Tower.

sambajustice
09-01-2016, 04:46 PM

Obviously no other city is as tragic about these things as Glasgow but historically speaking.

Apparently they are supposed to be the "timmy" team!

Scott Allan Key
09-01-2016, 04:51 PM

That's what an Evertonian told me in trying to win my allegiance, whether that makes them an 'Hibernian' founded football team I am not sure though.

Lancs Harp
09-01-2016, 05:24 PM
The church at the corner of the ground at Goodison is St Lukes, its an Anglican church.

The team has its roots as St Domingo Methodist Church sunday school.

Craig_HFC
09-01-2016, 05:25 PM
Every club has its' ********s.

Everton are, historically anyway, the Catholic club in Liverpool and where the "Hail Hail" chant originated.

Scott Allan Key
09-01-2016, 05:29 PM
The church at the corner of the ground at Goodison is St Lukes, its an Anglican church.

The team has its roots as St Domingo Methodist Church sunday school.

Interesting, and is it true Liverpool were founded by the Orange Order and didn't sign Catholics on schoolboy terms until the 80's?

nonshinyfinish
09-01-2016, 05:29 PM

I remember standing at a bus stop on North Bridge with some w*** from Middlesbrough banging on about they're a Catholic team, repeatedly pointing to his left foot and explaining in detail how Alan Shearer's a proddy whatever.

Not sure what was more staggering: that folk outside Norn Iron/the west of Scotland are into this pish, or that he thought it would impress me.

Scouse Hibee
09-01-2016, 05:34 PM

Any talk of sectarian division is unfounded as both clubs share the same origins.

Sergey
09-01-2016, 05:35 PM
Kevin Campbell was the first black player to play for Everton and that was only circa 15 years ago.

Ironically, he almost single-handedly kept them in the Premiership in his first season, as he bagged a few goals in the closing matches.

Scouse Hibee
09-01-2016, 05:35 PM
Interesting, and is it true Liverpool were founded by the Orange Order and didn't sign Catholics on schoolboy terms until the 80's?

Total pish mate.

Scouse Hibee
09-01-2016, 05:38 PM
Kevin Campbell was the first black player to play for Everton and that was only circa 15 years ago.

Ironically, he almost single-handedly kept them in the Premiership in his first season, as he bagged a few goals in the closing matches.

Nonsense. Cliff Marshall was Everton's first black player. And Amokachi played before Campbell.

bingo70
09-01-2016, 05:38 PM

I can't believe that's true?

I've no idea of anyone else before him but there surely has to have been someone???

_hucks_
09-01-2016, 05:39 PM
Liverpool and Everton split from the same Presbyterian club. There isn't a Catholic protestant suicide.

bingo70
09-01-2016, 05:40 PM
Nonsense. Cliff Marshall was Everton's first black player.

Daniel amokachi as well

Lancs Harp
09-01-2016, 05:42 PM
Basically Everton who played at Anfield before Liverpool did, fell out with the landlords over rent and moved across Stanley Park.

The landlord and club president (think he was called Houlding) then formed his own team, Liverpool FC to play at Anfield.

Everton actually won their first league title whilst Anfield was their home and before Liverpool were formed.

Scott Allan Key
09-01-2016, 05:51 PM
Any talk of sectarian division is unfounded as both clubs share the same origins.

It is crazy to think that much of Liverpool and Glasgow's wealth relied on Britain's historic slave trade. Some of the worlds richest cities of their day.

We may move on one day as a society when we stop pussyfooting about political correctness and actually teach our young people about the 'nitty gritty' (very deliberate words) of our Great British wealths' foundations.

Baader
09-01-2016, 05:57 PM

That isn't true.

Sergey
09-01-2016, 06:32 PM
Nonsense. Cliff Marshall was Everton's first black player. And Amokachi played before Campbell.

Apologies for the misinformation regards to Campbell. I did read that he was the first black player at Everton but the article was obviously wrong.

BTW - I've never heard of Chris Marshall.

Daniel amokachi as well

See above - I was indeed spouting pish :greengrin

Scott Allan Key
09-01-2016, 06:40 PM
Total pish mate.

I asked the question based on received opinion I didn't hold as gospel.

Scouse Hibee
09-01-2016, 07:08 PM
I asked the question based on received opinion I didn't hold as gospel.

Yeah I know, I wasn't meaning you were spouting pish :-)

Baldy Foghorn
09-01-2016, 07:33 PM

Sad that racism is still an issue....We are all human ffs

Craig_HFC
09-01-2016, 07:47 PM

Total bollocks, as always.

NadeAteMyLunch!
09-01-2016, 07:55 PM
Sound like the worst kind of folk. Probably the first folk to bang on about Lukaku and cheer him on, yet abuse other black players. Clowns

Dashing Bob S
09-01-2016, 07:57 PM

Liverpool founded by a Conservative politician and businessman?

Leith Mo
09-01-2016, 08:19 PM
Always prefered Everton to Liverpool but I do remember being put off by hearing on a documentary once a good few years ago that some (not sure if a "minority" or not) used to chant "Everton Are White!"

bigwheel
09-01-2016, 08:37 PM
Horrible to hear the OP met such racists clowns..on the background of Liverpool & Everton...this is an interesting read...everything you need to know is in here..

http://toffeeweb.com/season/09-10/comment/fan/RedBlueGreenOrange.pdf

Scouse Hibee
09-01-2016, 09:20 PM
Always prefered Everton to Liverpool but I do remember being put off by hearing on a documentary once a good few years ago that some (not sure if a "minority" or not) used to chant "Everton Are White!"

They did once throw inflatable bananas when John Barnes played against them.

jodjam
09-01-2016, 09:51 PM
Sad that racism is still an issue....We are all human ffs

I agree brockie. Didn't start thread as an Everton bashing thread but the attitudes in the pub watching ssn was strange

Sioux
09-01-2016, 10:05 PM
Got involved with a guy from Liverpool in a bar in Tenerife, Hoops Bar, while watching that Monday night game at Ibrox, September before last, Hibs scored third I'm up giving it Yes! He started up a conversation as I into went to the bar and stupidly my wife had asked him if he was a Liverpool or Everton fan. God knows why she did. Anyhow she told I've been going to Anfield for about 20 years off and on. BAD move. This guy couldn't work out how I could be a Hibs fan and go to Anfield. "The reds are all flutists" he said. He was an Everton fan and a Celtic fan. He went on and on about the 'flutists' to the point I was getting well pissed off.

Went back in for another pint and he asked me to get him a drink. I told him slightly loudly to F off and take his catholic protestant pish and stick it up his arse. At this point the barman came out and asked "what's the problem big man?"

Anyhow the wee fanny moved on before he got slapped, either by me or the barman.

The point of this is I've never heard any of that stuff at Anfield or Goodison, nor when speaking to anyone at the games.

To put in into another context I work in Bootle quite often and have never had a conversation on these lines. Scousers that I know don't do any of that nonsense, except for that clown.

SausageSurprise
09-01-2016, 10:09 PM
Got involved with a guy from Liverpool in a bar in Tenerife, Hoops Bar, while watching that Monday night game at Ibrox, September before last, Hibs scored third I'm up giving it Yes! He started up a conversation as I into went to the bar and stupidly my wife had asked him if he was a Liverpool or Everton fan. God knows why she did. Anyhow she told I've been going to Anfield for about 20 years off and on. BAD move. This guy couldn't work out how I could be a Hibs fan and go to Anfield. "The reds are all flutists" he said. He was an Everton fan and a Celtic fan. He went on and on about the 'flutists' to the point I was getting well pissed off.

Went back in for another pint and he asked me to get him a drink. I told him slightly loudly to F off and take his catholic protestant pish and stick it up his arse. At this point the barman came out and asked "what's the problem big man?"

Anyhow the wee fanny moved on before he got slapped, either by me or the barman.

The point of this is I've never heard any of that stuff at Anfield or Goodison, nor when speaking to anyone at the games.

To put in into another context I work in Bootle quite often and have never had a conversation on these lines. Scousers that I know don't do any of that nonsense, except for that clown.

I thought Celtic and Liverpool had a wee love in with each other

Sioux
09-01-2016, 10:10 PM
I thought Celtic and Liverpool had a wee love in with each other

Not according to that idiot.

Greencore
09-01-2016, 10:13 PM
Everton hate Rangers and have always preferred Celtic over the Rangers. Taken from one of their songs
"we hate Bill Shankly
And we hate St John
But most of all we hate Big Ron
And we'll hang the Kopites one by one
On the banks of the Royal Blue Mersey

So to hell with Liverpool and Rangers too
We'll throw them all in the Mersey
And we'll fight fight fight
With all our might
For the lads in the Royal Blue Jersey"

Scouse Hibee
09-01-2016, 10:15 PM

Never heard any of that nonsense in my life in Liverpool. Guess I've been lucky to avoid erseholes like that.

hhibs
09-01-2016, 10:15 PM
It is crazy to think that much of Liverpool and Glasgow's wealth relied on Britain's historic slave trade. Some of the worlds richest cities of their day.

We may move on one day as a society when we stop pussyfooting about political correctness and actually teach our young people about the 'nitty gritty' (very deliberate words) of our Great British wealths' foundations.

Sad but true,wealth based on "shipping" ,"tobacco" as they would have it......my backside....... Slavery was the real axis of the wealth ,the rest followed.

A very ugly part of history and one kept well under wraps.

Scouse Hibee
09-01-2016, 10:19 PM
Everton hate Rangers and have always preferred Celtic over the Rangers. Taken from one of their songs
"we hate Bill Shankly
And we hate St John
But most of all we hate Big Ron
And we'll hang the Kopites one by one
On the banks of the Royal Blue Mersey

So to hell with Liverpool and Rangers too
We'll throw them all in the Mersey
And we'll fight fight fight
With all our might
For the lads in the Royal Blue Jersey"

Jeez that song is ancient, never heard of Everton hating Rangers and the amount of dealings with players beteeen them both over the years suggests otherwise.

Lancs Harp
09-01-2016, 10:30 PM
You'll always get a few dickheads wherever you, but I do think one or two of you on this thread are looking for something that just isn't there.

Liverpool and Everton fans reading this thread would be shaking their heads the same way we would reading another teams message board describing us a diet celtic, which believe me many football fans down south think. People thinking something doesn't make it right and a few views on this thread are way off the mark IMO

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-01-2016, 10:38 PM
You'll always get a few d1ckheads wherever you, but I do think one or two of you on this thread are looking for something that just isn't there.

Liverpool and Everton fans reading this thread would be shaking their heads the same way we would reading another teams message board describing us a diet celtic, which believe me many football fans down south think. People thinking something doesn't make it right and a few views on this thread are way off the mark IMO

True. You could easily substitute both teams allegenices and it could have been a Hibs fan who could have said the same to an Everton fan. I'm sure we have a few racists amongst our own support.

SunshineOnLeith
10-01-2016, 11:19 AM

Your sources in Lithuania feed you that fact, aye?

jingler1954
10-01-2016, 11:39 AM
True. You could easily substitute both teams allegenices and it could have been a Hibs fan who could have said the same to an Everton fan. I'm sure we have a few racists amongst our own support.

On the train back from Kircaldy some prick was saying if you are not a Hibs fan you are either isis or a poof. What an embarrassment.

Thecat23
10-01-2016, 11:53 AM
On the train back from Kircaldy some prick was saying if you are not a Hibs fan you are either isis or a poof. What an embarrassment.

Couple were lifted when they got off the train. They were filmed and it's all over FB. No idea if it's the same person/persons you are talking about though.

jgl07
10-01-2016, 08:09 PM

No City apart from Belfast I would correct.

Everton were known as the 'priests team at one stage and used to give free admission to RC priests. Liverpool fans were far more likely to wave Union Flags at matches than those of Everton.

That has long since faded in Liverpool as it has in Manchester and Edinburgh.

majorhibs
10-01-2016, 08:54 PM

Everton were known as the 'priests team at one stage and used to give free admission to RC priests. Liverpool fans were far more likely to wave Union Flags at matches than those of Everton.

Belfast is Belfast, there really is nowhere else like it.

Forza Fred
10-01-2016, 09:35 PM

Indeed we do, not least among my, erm more mature generation, I have noticed over the years.

It's an educational thing I guess which I think is addressing it slowly.

Still can't believe reruns of early 70s show 'Beggar my Neighbour'? got air time here on Fox Classics, with their cringing jokes about one being a Nig Nog and calling him Sambo. Etc, etc......mind you I too probably thought it was funny at the time it originally went to air.

One of the characters, the white one, Eddie, was a Manchester United fan incidentally.

Scouse Hibee
10-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Indeed we do, not least among my, erm more mature generation, I have noticed over the years.

Still can't believe reruns of early 70s show 'Beggar my Neighbour'? got air time here on Fox Classics, with their cringing jokes about one being a Nig Nog and calling him Sambo. Etc, etc......mind you I too probably thought it was funny at the time it originally went to air.

One of the characters, the white one, Eddie, was a Manchester United fan incidentally.

It was called Love Thy Neighbour was it not?

Thief
10-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Yeah, but 'beggar my neighbour' sounds better! [emoji1]

jgl07
10-01-2016, 11:07 PM
They did once throw inflatable bananas when John Barnes played against them.
The inflatable bananas thing was very widespread in English Football at the time and had nothing to do with racial abuse.

It started at Manchester City in the late 1980s. City had an English player of Hungarian decent called Imre Varadi. Somewhere along the line a supporter with a speech impediment called him Imre Banana and the name stuck. In fact Varadi's Twitter handle is still: Imre Varadi (@imre_banana).

The inflatable bananas started appearing at matches and other teams followed suit. West Ham had inflatable hammers, Grimsby had inflatable fish and Bury inflatable black puddings.

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2011/3/16/how-the-inflatable-banana-almost-saved-football.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTmaXOcwdRo

Lancs Harp
10-01-2016, 11:14 PM
It wasnt an inflatable banana thrown at John Barnes and it was racially motivated.

Theres load on the internet about it, just gogle it.http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02058/sport-barnes0_2058991c.jpg (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwig4c-YvKDKAhVEVxoKHeX8CSEQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffoo tball%2Fcompetitions%2Fpremier-league%2F8898054%2FFormer-Liverpool-star-John-Barnes-says-society-is-to-blame-for-racism-problem-that-football-just-cant-shift.html&psig=AFQjCNG9GC4auiDba1_8CQ2YMGFdyjVqiQ&ust=1452557414468175)

Lucius Apuleius
11-01-2016, 07:42 AM

Sambo is actually a pretty popular name in Nigeria. However, obviously if used racially it is wrong but it does get me thinking. I guess it would be along the lines of calling the Froggies Pierre or the Krauts Hans, englanders George and maybe the sweaties as Hamish?

Scouse Hibee
11-01-2016, 08:21 AM
The inflatable bananas thing was very widespread in English Football at the time and had nothing to do with racial abuse.

It started at Manchester City in the late 1980s. City had an English player of Hungarian decent called Imre Varadi. Somewhere along the line a supporter with a speech impediment called him Imre Banana and the name stuck. In fact Varadi's Twitter handle is still: Imre Varadi (@imre_banana).

The inflatable bananas started appearing at matches and other teams followed suit. West Ham had inflatable hammers, Grimsby had inflatable fish and Bury inflatable black puddings.

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2011/3/16/how-the-inflatable-banana-almost-saved-football.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTmaXOcwdRo

I was there so I know it was racial abuse, inflatable bananas along with real ones!

superfurryhibby
11-01-2016, 08:44 AM
Sad but true,wealth based on "shipping" ,"tobacco" as they would have it......my backside....... Slavery was the real axis of the wealth ,the rest followed.

A very ugly part of history and one kept well under wraps.

The life of the urban poor in Britain was not a thing of beauty in Britain well in to the 20th century. Miners were virtual serfs until nationalisation of the pits and you only have to look at old photos to see bairns running about with no shoes on their feet well into the 20th century. I myself grew up in flats with no inside toilets, hot water etc until we moved to Prince Regent St, Leith in 1974.

There are many casual racists amongst the wider population and that is reflceted in football. Some elements of our support have had a very dubious history of racially motivated violence, just to add to their football related violence.