PDA

View Full Version : Least Favourite Stadium

Colr
09-01-2016, 07:46 AM
Sister thread to the favourite stadiums. What's the worst stadium and why?

I don't know that I would say its the worst but I find Hampden dissappointing.

sbell1875
09-01-2016, 07:51 AM
Tannadice without a shadow of a doubt for me.

Horrendous for parking, terrible view, expensive, poor recent record up there, United play in tangerine and the worst thing by a mile is the over zealous stewarding.

However, I've been hit with a coin at Ibrox so that runs Tannadive pretty close.

HibbyAndy
09-01-2016, 07:54 AM
Will always be ibrox by a mile...The vile the hatred and you just feel intimadation the minute you are near the place..A horrible nasty little place with secratarian pish.

BroxburnHibee
09-01-2016, 08:00 AM
Yep Ibrox by a mile.

Pretty Boy
09-01-2016, 08:10 AM
I actually like Ibrox as a stadium, it's conductive to a loud atmosphere, the 0-3 cup game with 5500 Hibbies going mental near raised the roof.

Hampden is shocking for what it is supposed to be. For utter crapness Central Park takes some beating.

lucky
09-01-2016, 08:11 AM
Hampden. Crap views and nearly always heartbreak when we are there.

Since1875Hibs
09-01-2016, 08:19 AM
Hampden.
Tannadice.
Celtic.

For away days, in that order.

GreenArmyyy!
09-01-2016, 08:25 AM
Hampden.
Tannadice.
Celtic.

For away days, in that order.

Spot on!

GreenArmyyy!
09-01-2016, 08:26 AM
Cowdenbeath is the worst place I've ever been.

highland hibbee
09-01-2016, 08:27 AM
Hampden.Tannadice.Celtic.For away days, in that order.Caley Park, total ****holeCeltic ParkHunbrox

CB_NO3
09-01-2016, 08:38 AM
Tannadice and Parkhead for horrible stewards and rubbish view. I love going to Ibrox.

Carheenlea
09-01-2016, 08:42 AM
Central Park is bad, but for me it falls into the `so bad it`s good` category. Will have more anecdotes about away games to Cowdenbeath than to say St Mirren Park, a dull, characterless subbuteo stand arena. Alloa falls into the `so bad it`s good` as well, but for true crapness, Falkirk comes out top. A three sided freezing cold wind tunnel on edge of town where the open side offers views across wasteground to Grangemouth refinery.

Nameless
09-01-2016, 08:52 AM
Hampden is terrible. If you are in the first 15 rows behind the goal, good luck seeing anything. As a national stadium it is an embarrassment.

I dislike Pittodrie, as the ankle breaking away section is a nightmare.

southsider
09-01-2016, 08:53 AM
Hampden is a sh*t-hole and should be flattened and rebuilt. England and Wales have bright new stadiums paid for by the Governments, we should do the same. I hate all those lego stadiums with no sole. St J, St M, Broadwood etc.

Hibby_G
09-01-2016, 09:08 AM
Will always be ibrox by a mile...The vile the hatred and you just feel intimadation the minute you are near the place..A horrible nasty little place with secratarian pish. Mines too ... Horrible place:lolrangers::lolrangers:

Craig_HFC
09-01-2016, 09:12 AM

Aye but this thread is about stadiums!

;-)

Ringothedog
09-01-2016, 09:24 AM
Broomfield, a crap stadium infested by bigoted fans

E10 Rifle
09-01-2016, 09:40 AM
Any soulless, out-of-town 'arena' that is miles away from a proper boozer.

Keith_M
09-01-2016, 09:49 AM
Central Park & Recreation Park currently, closely followed by the away end at Celtc Park, with its missing seats, massive pillar and idiotic stewards/police.

O'Rourke3
09-01-2016, 09:51 AM
Old Tynecastle. No facilities and poor entrances and exits. S*****le

Stantons Angel
09-01-2016, 09:57 AM
/It has to be "the cauldron of hate" Ibrox for me!!! even before i buy the ticket i know only too well that i will be faced with intimidation, sectarian bile, incompetent policing and stewarding and the most disgusting set of football supporters i have ever seen!

It just such a horrible place to go, but you got to support Hibs everywhere they go havent you?

Hermit Crab
09-01-2016, 10:01 AM
Never been a fan of the upper tier at tannadice.

Northernhibee
09-01-2016, 10:03 AM
Pittodrie is cold, windy and dated. Hate it.

Colr
09-01-2016, 10:07 AM
Hampden is terrible. If you are in the first 15 rows behind the goal, good luck seeing anything. As a national stadium it is an embarrassment.

I dislike Pittodrie, as the ankle breaking away section is a nightmare.

Apparently, pittodrie is gaelic for dung heap - which is what occupied the site before it was converted to a football ground.

mim
09-01-2016, 10:12 AM
I take it naebody's been to Cliftonhill, then :sick:

jodjam
09-01-2016, 10:21 AM
Was just going to post about albion rovers but beaten to it. A poor mans Cowdenbeath

Since90+2
09-01-2016, 10:22 AM
Falkirk stadium must be a contender. Lego stadium in the middle of nowhere a good walk from the train station and no boozers nearby.

The fact it doesn't have a stand down a whole side of the pitch just means it's also devoid of any atmosphere.

high bee
09-01-2016, 10:34 AM
New Douglas Park has to be up there, absolute embarrassment of a stadium for a top flight club. Not keen on St Mirren Park and the likes but at least it has 4 stands. There are other places without 4 stands but I'm sure that their 3rd stand is temporary and i cringe every time I see that bus on tv. The whole place just looks soulless and reminds me of a council run park with a couple of small stands chucked in.

Alfred E Newman
09-01-2016, 10:37 AM
Used to love going to Fir Park in the old pre all seater days but that huge stand with a top tier that you can't see the goal line from is the pits.

Bishop Hibee
09-01-2016, 10:38 AM
Central Park Cowdenbeath. Dump where it is impossible to get a decent view of the pitch. Recreation Park Alloa is pretty soulless too.

ekhibee
09-01-2016, 11:07 AM
In the olden days Boghead was by far the worst stadium I'd been to, but now the Falkirk stadium takes some beating (for crapness). I remember when we played them in the cup not long after they'd opened it and they only had 2 stands; there was another 'temporary stand' at the far end but I use that term loosely. Dunno if it's changed, as I haven't been back. We humped them that day but I'm also sure it was the game Riordan got booked and missed the SC semi against the Yams.

GreenArmyyy!
09-01-2016, 11:46 AM
Outside of Scotland I went to the El Madrigal (Villarreal) v Real Madrid a few weeks ago. I was in the Real Madrid end which was at the top of the stadium inside a glass box, horrendous atmosphere and the town itself was even worse....

Dashing Bob S
09-01-2016, 11:59 AM
Hampden. It's ugly and completely irrelevant. Bulldoze it.
Ibrox for the bigotry, Tynecastle for the smell.

I'll chip in on a contentious choice: Pittodrie. It is freezing, even in a heatwave, and a badly designed dogs breakfast of different stands. A'deen should have done a lot better developing it during their 80's ascendancy.

Albanian Hibs
09-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Falkirk, Cowdenbeath and Alloa

Houchy
09-01-2016, 12:17 PM
I'd have to go for Ipox for the crap we have to suffer every time we go there. I refuse to go anymore.

Ricky Bobby
09-01-2016, 12:20 PM

I'll chip in on a contentious choice: Pittodrie. It is freezing, even in a heatwave, and a badly designed dogs breakfast of different stands. A'deen should have done a lot better developing it during their 80's ascendancy.

Agree with all of these, would add Cowdenbeath to list.
English premiership Tottenham is brutal, cramped seating and area makes Gorgie look like St Tropez

NAE NOOKIE
09-01-2016, 01:19 PM
Of grounds I have visited the old Boghead is probably the biggest hole I have ever been to, though the old Love Street runs it close. Its got to be Hampden though, an utter disgrace of a 'national stadium' there are impoverished banana republics in Africa with better.

As proved by the favourite stadium thread a ground can be an utter dump but still be a great day out .... Ayr Utd :aok:

Which brings me to my least favourite ground in the universe, even though I've never been there. It has to be St Mirren Park ... how can you start with a blank canvas and still come up with such a bland, unimaginative, soulless ground, with massive gaps between the stands sucking any atmosphere out of the place ....... Its as if the folk who designed it ( the place is an insult to the word ) had never been to a football match in their lives, let alone any love for the game or understanding of what makes a ground special. If I had been a St Mirren fan and had seen the plans beforehand I'd have lain down in front of the Bulldozers.

St Mirren Park ........... Grrrrrrrrrr !!! :grr:

emerald green
09-01-2016, 01:28 PM
I've always hated Tynecastle - both old and new versions.

The old version for the "Black Hole of Calcutta" behind the terracing at the school end, and also pish running down the terracing steps and getting my flares ruined at the Gorgie Road end. A real dump of a place.

GreenOnions
09-01-2016, 01:43 PM
Definitely Hampden. Why they couldn't just designate it as a football stadium and get rid of the huge area behind the goals?

A decision made by someone who isn't interested in football and who was trying to please everyone. It's like that old saying about a zebra being a horse designed by a committee. Rubbish - and an embarrassment as a national stadium.

GreenOnions
09-01-2016, 01:46 PM

They call the large stand behind the goals "Dick's big erection" after Dick Donald - the ex-chairman whose decision it was to build it (I think). Strange decision indeed to build that.

The Gorf
09-01-2016, 01:46 PM
Somerset Park. But for pure hatred it has to be hunbrox.

jgl07
09-01-2016, 01:50 PM
Meadowbank for me.

portyhibernian
09-01-2016, 01:52 PM
The Ibrox experience is certainly not something anyone enjoys, but the actual stadium itself is actually quite a decent one IMO. Worst ground I've set foot in has to be Central Park but closely behind that is Recreation Park then New Douglas Park. Special mention also to Tynecastle which is probably the most ramshackle asbestos ridden death trap in the UK.

09-01-2016, 09:20 PM
New Douglas Park for me. No excuse for such a poor stadium when it was only built a few years ago. The view of the gazebo stand and the scaffolding behind the goal don't exactly make for a great football experience.

I'd rather stand in the rain at Cowdenbeath.

hhibs
09-01-2016, 10:33 PM
Old Tynecastle. No facilities and poor entrances and exits. S*****le

Had to laugh at that .

That will be as opposed to the new shiny 21st Century ,fit for purpose ,no asbestos allowed,Tynecasstle we all now see.:greengrin

Sylar
09-01-2016, 10:40 PM
I did one of those "tours of the stadiums" thing over a few years and I have to say, I loved visiting the "ramshackle" stadiums that have taken a pasting on here so far, including Alloa and Cowdenbeath.

Tannadice is deserving of its abuse, though the George Fox and Shed stands are both much better than where the away fans are housed.

I was at Almondvale with my dad today and it's deserving of a mention. Utterly lifeless with faded seats, no atmosphere, no shelter from the elements, no good pubs nearby and £5 if you want to park in the stadium car park - the catering is also wowfing and their gate-organisation is a shambles (scanning and checking every single £20 note, which most people will hand over for a £15 entry fee)! Livi would be better off getting a small stadium elsewhere in the town and reducing the size/costs because Almondvale isn't worth what it must cost on a given matchday.

monktonharp
09-01-2016, 10:54 PM
Central Park Cowdenbeath. Dump where it is impossible to get a decent view of the pitch. Recreation Park Alloa is pretty soulless too.
those 2 are ****holes. St Mirren park because their fans complain about even the slightest doubt of a throw in. Ibrox because of it's hunnery. Tyncastle because of it's smell. Tannadice because of the sleekit barsteward stewards that actually hide in the toilets to catch smokers! and last but not least Aberdeen, because the Polis take pleasure in placing a police officer at the end of every row at the away end, actually filming the actions of fans throughout the entire game and lifting folk for throwing a hat in the air .It's as if they don't actually want you to go to a match. how sad.

Sir David Gray
09-01-2016, 11:14 PM
For many different reasons, the worst grounds I've been at are;

Tannadice
Fir Park
Central Park
Recreation Park
Hampden
Parkhead

Liberal Hibby
09-01-2016, 11:33 PM
Worst ground I've ever been to is Cold Blow Lane/the Den. Saw Millwall v Everton there in the old English first division. Absolute death trap. After the Ibrox disaster Scottish grounds dropped their capacities but England kept cramming in thousands into tiny stadiums - Cold Blow Lane was licensed for more than Easter Road (around 25,000 when ER was 23,000) when it was physically half the size. I remember thinking I was going to be crushed on the way out as the entire terrace evacuated through a four feet wide tunnel on the way out.

Forza Fred
10-01-2016, 04:53 AM
I take it naebody's been to Cliftonhill, then :sick:

Funnily enough I have..once.

Went through on the Berwick Rangers team bus...one of my mates..Davie McQueen who won a Scottish junior cup medal with Bonyrigg and was with Berwick for a short time.arranged for me to get on.

It was a midweek afternoon game by memory and it was phishing down with rain..remember that much but not so much about the surroundings as Harry Melrose the manager gave me a complimentary for the stand.

Do remember the bus trip though with Berwick's goalie..former Hibs goalie Willie Wilson doing his best to sell business shirts that he had got hold of somehow to all the players.:agree

Forza Fred
10-01-2016, 04:57 AM
New Douglas Park for me. No excuse for such a poor stadium when it was only built a few years ago. The view of the gazebo stand and the scaffolding behind the goal don't exactly make for a great football experience.

I'd rather stand in the rain at Cowdenbeath.

Don't agree with the last sentence but agree with New Douglas Park as a soulless supermarket type place.

TV executives will also tell you that such stadiums with their amateurish looking backdrop, do nothing to improve the perception of Scottish football to people outside Scotland.

Keith_M
10-01-2016, 06:51 AM
Don't agree with the last sentence but agree with New Douglas Park as a soulless supermarket type place.

TV executives will also tell you that such stadiums with their amateurish looking backdrop, do nothing to improve the perception of Scottish football to people outside Scotland.

I actually preferred the old stadium at Hamilton.

Torto7062
10-01-2016, 06:56 AM
Will always be ibrox by a mile...The vile the hatred and you just feel intimadation the minute you are near the place..A horrible nasty little place with secratarian pish.

Couldn't agree more..I've not been back since the 3 nil roasting we gave them in the cup when O'connor and Co scored

Stoney Hibee
10-01-2016, 07:52 AM

:agree:

craigmounthibby
10-01-2016, 09:47 AM
Dumbarton's "stand" is rubbish.

And parkhead for their restricted view seats - a bargain at £27, with a view of only one goal :grr:

Killiehibbie
10-01-2016, 10:56 AM
Parkhead been once many moons ago since they put seats in, never again.

kaimendhibs
10-01-2016, 01:27 PM
Central Park is the worst by far! Tannadice is poor and away section at pittodrie is rubbish.

Scouse Hibee
10-01-2016, 01:46 PM
Cowdenbeath,couldn't actually believe we were in the right place when I was first there. Also hate these souless stuck in the middle of nowhere near a pub stadiums.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-01-2016, 01:53 PM
Tannadice. For whatever reason, whether the travelling support is 300 or 3000, there always appears to be issues with the stewards. No idea why away support doesn't get to sit behind the goal in the old Shed. Seems easier and safer to manage.

Hermit Crab
10-01-2016, 01:55 PM
Tannadice. For whatever reason, whether the travelling support is 300 or 3000, there always appears to be issues with the stewards. No idea why away support doesn't get to sit behind the goal in the old Shed. Seems easier and safer to manage.

That's where we used to located before they moved us to the Main stand.

howdenthehibby
10-01-2016, 02:31 PM
Couldn't agree more..I've not been back since the 3 nil roasting we gave them in the cup when O'connor and Co scored

Me too ! I cant even watch us play Sevco on telly anymore , as the vile bigotry just makes me feel physically sick . I'm sure there are plenty more like us.

H18 SFR
10-01-2016, 03:19 PM
Somerset Park. But for pure hatred it has to be hunbrox.

I love Somerset, it's a proper old fashioned stadium.

ben johnson
10-01-2016, 03:29 PM
Always thought the ridiculous attitude of the stewards at Tannadice made for an uncomfortable viewing experience. We played them a week or so after Slask Wroclaw had descended on Tannadice. No ott stewarding that night as the brave stewards cowered downstairs as the Poles did as they pleased. We mentioned this to a few of the stewards as they layed down the law to young Hibbies in front of us. 2 stewards not happy and the third burst out laughing and said your right we were too scared to even watch the game.

NAE NOOKIE
10-01-2016, 06:00 PM

Me neither. Easier to manage as you say and would also make the ground look fuller on TV as well. I have fond memories of having a lit fag stuck in my ear under that shed back in the day :greengrin

tinnyhibby
10-01-2016, 06:39 PM
New Bayview. Apart from the pretty good pies.

Onceinawhile
10-01-2016, 06:46 PM
I like rugby Park, but there's just not enough leg room.

Other than that it has to be parkhead, no seats, giant pillar, often held back and the locals are pricks.

HappyAsHellas
10-01-2016, 07:05 PM
The old Shawfield stadium with the greyhound track running round it was a tip of the highest order. Also remember one night years ago at Fir park, long before the stand was built for away fans. It was bucketing down and at half time we went to the "toilets" which were stuck on the back of the shed that runs the length of the pitch. It was essentially a three sided brick wall with a door and no roof. The drain from the trough just ran onto the ground at your feet and the polis lifted a fan for having a slash against the wall outside. Also a trip to the old Firhill where some of the locals raided the bus and stole our newspapers - I was about 14 at the time and couldn't my head round that one.