PDA

View Full Version : Video Technology

Frazerbob
08-01-2016, 06:24 PM
Listening to a debate on Sportsound about video technology. Everyone seems to think it's a good idea to at least trial it, except Jim Goodwin. Funny that!

brog
08-01-2016, 07:16 PM
Was on BBC news tonight. They showed 2 examples of wrong decisions, the Celtc/ICT non pen decision from last year & the Yam, Clum I think sending off. Gave a chance for Capt Caveman to mumble something to the camera. You may have thought the easiest use of VT would be the one currently in use in England, ie goal line technology but I guess that would have meant showing Leigh's 2 yards over the line effort! I know, I'm paranoiac but imagine if that "goal" was not given for one of the uglies!

SausageSurprise
08-01-2016, 07:21 PM
Noticed on ITV they showed Maradona's Hand of God goal against England but somehow forgot to show England's third goal from the 66' final

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2016, 07:36 PM
Noticed on ITV they showed Maradona's Hand of God goal against England but somehow forgot to show England's third goal from the 66' final

Maybe cos Sky proved "beyond doubt" the other day that it crossed the line?

SuperAllyMcleod
08-01-2016, 07:37 PM
I'm never comfortable with this sort of technology. Take the current situation in England - if a striker goes up for a header, it comes off the bar, over the line but isn't given. At the moment, the ref would be informed by the technology that it was a goal - fair enough.

However, if, during the same scenario, the linesman incorrectly puts his flag up for offside when the striker is actually onside, the goal will not be given. That's surely unfair? The striker has done exactly the same thing.

Now, if a striker is put through on goal and an incorrect offside flag goes up (and the ref blows his whistle) before he rounds the keeper then the striker has been denied a clear goal scoring opportunity - even if technology can clear up the mistaken offside, how can you restart and give the striker the same opportunity?

My point is, it's almost impossible to say what is clear cut and what isn't, so why favour certain decisions over others? To my mind, although mistakes are made, the game is fine as it is.

pontius pilate
08-01-2016, 07:52 PM
They mentioned this on talks port yesterday the IFAB where discussing it. I'm sure they had Graeme poll on the points he made where valid maybe use the fourth official to be the video ref.

danhibees1875
08-01-2016, 08:25 PM
I think there are a lot of questions that would need answered first:

Where would you draw the line? Just goal line technology? Penalty decisions? Off sides? Corners?

How would you then restart the game?

Who makes the decision and how long is play stopped to allow it to be made?

Would it be in effect at every level of the game?

What happens when mistakes are still made despite the technology being available?

I'd personally be against it. Mistakes happen, that's part of life and so should be part of football. If it does come in, which I think it will, I'd like to see something akin to tennis where each team is given a set number of calls per game to use- the captain of either team decides when.

ekhibee
08-01-2016, 09:17 PM
If it helps improve the decision-making of referees, and stops Hearts getting every decision in their favour at Tynecastle then I've got no problem with it at all. Similarly, if it stops the old firm from getting blatantly wrong decisions in their favour then I've got no problem with that either.

emerald green
09-01-2016, 04:08 PM
I think there are a lot of questions that would need answered first:

What happens when mistakes are still made despite the technology being available?

Of course a lot of questions would need to be answered first, and an agreed plan put in place initially. As things develop, and might then be seen to be not working very well, then changes could be made. It doesn't all have to happen at once. It will take time to bed in and then be developed.

No system involving human beings will ever be 100% foolproof / idiot-proof. But the whole point is to try to cut down on obvious errors on the part of officials and ultimately to help them, and ensure fairness as far as is possible.

To do nothing, given there is something there that can be used to help, just doesn't make any sense any longer IMHO.

ancient hibee
09-01-2016, 07:04 PM
Rugby is awash with video technology but in the case of the wrong penalty decision against Scotland the ref wasn't allowed to use it.Leave football as it is.Off the ball incidents can be looked at later as now.

Bristolhibby
09-01-2016, 07:09 PM
I'm never comfortable with this sort of technology. Take the current situation in England - if a striker goes up for a header, it comes off the bar, over the line but isn't given. At the moment, the ref would be informed by the technology that it was a goal - fair enough.

However, if, during the same scenario, the linesman incorrectly puts his flag up for offside when the striker is actually onside, the goal will not be given. That's surely unfair? The striker has done exactly the same thing.

Now, if a striker is put through on goal and an incorrect offside flag goes up (and the ref blows his whistle) before he rounds the keeper then the striker has been denied a clear goal scoring opportunity - even if technology can clear up the mistaken offside, how can you restart and give the striker the same opportunity?

My point is, it's almost impossible to say what is clear cut and what isn't, so why favour certain decisions over others? To my mind, although mistakes are made, the game is fine as it is.

Unless with using the technology you play the "advantage" then review the goal afterwards.

They do it in the NFL. All scoring plays are reviewed. Should only take about a minute tops and then you wouldn't have flag happy linesmen stopping goals.

Downside, Barry Fergusons goal v Italy in 2006 would have been chalked off.
Plus side the ref could have reviewed Huttons "foul", that lead to their winner.

J

09-01-2016, 09:02 PM
Big believer if the technology is available use it.

What do you think would have been the video reviewers decision here....................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeaF7DXByU4

bigwheel
09-01-2016, 09:11 PM
Other than goal line technology I've no wish for technology in football ...I like the fact that the game at the park on a Sunday is almost identical from what we watch on a Saturday. Let's not make them two different games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carheenlea
09-01-2016, 09:11 PM
They mentioned this on talks port yesterday the IFAB where discussing it. I'm sure they had Graeme poll on the points he made where valid maybe use the fourth official to be the video ref.

Must have been on the "Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast"..?

silverhibee
09-01-2016, 10:55 PM
Maybe cos Sky proved "beyond doubt" the other day that it crossed the line?

:tee hee:

silverhibee
09-01-2016, 11:01 PM
Other than goal line technology I've no wish for technology in football ...I like the fact that the game at the park on a Sunday is almost identical from what we watch on a Saturday. Let's not make them two different games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:top marks

Scottish football is boring enough, with all this technology you won't be able to have a good argument about if it was a red or not, or was it inside the box or out, leave it the way it is. This is all for the armchair supporter.

Scottish Football.

Killing me softly.