PDA

View Full Version : James McPake

Hibeesmad
04-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Highly unlikely to play again this season after an injury on his knee Saturday, must be devestated

Iceman1875
04-01-2016, 12:13 PM
I sympathise with his injury but until he stops with the Maverick lunges in which he believes is defending, then he is always going to put his body at risk.

At Easter Road we play...

Ozyhibby
04-01-2016, 12:15 PM
I sympathise with his injury but until he stops with the Maverick lunges in which he believes is defending, then he is always going to put his body at risk.

I watched Sportscene last night and that's exactly what I was thinking. Brought back horrible memories of him in a Hibs shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
04-01-2016, 12:18 PM

Yep, feel for the guy as it looked a shocker of an injury but his suspect positioning made those kind of high risk tackles a far too frequent part of his game.

patch1875
04-01-2016, 01:39 PM
My mates a Dundee fan he heard that he may even miss the start of next season.

Fingers crossed he makes a full recovery.

Squealing pig
04-01-2016, 01:46 PM
Speedy recovery

Smartie
04-01-2016, 01:51 PM
He's played quite a lot for them up until now though, hasn't he? I have been surprised, given how injury-prone he was when he was with us.

I liked McPake and thought he was a good player. But pound for pound he must have been one of our worst ever signings. He'd been reliable during his loan spell and I reckon we probably pushed the boat out a bit financially to get him on a permanent deal only for his form to be poor (probably playing through injury) or for him to be out altogether.

I often wonder, mainly due to how many games he has played for Dundee over the past 18 months if he could have come in and made a difference towards the end of Butcher's time with us?

I hope he gets over it and gets back playing soon though because he was an honest, wholehearted player who made a big difference when he came in on loan and was a huge improvement on some of the work-shy impostors we had the misfortune of watching around that miserable period.

S4uzee
04-01-2016, 01:56 PM
He's played quite a lot for them up until now though, hasn't he? I have been surprised, given how injury-prone he was when he was with us.

I liked McPake and thought he was a good player. But pound for pound he must have been one of our worst ever signings. He'd been reliable during his loan spell and I reckon we probably pushed the boat out a bit financially to get him on a permanent deal only for his form to be poor (probably playing through injury) or for him to be out altogether.

I often wonder, mainly due to how many games he has played for Dundee over the past 18 months if he could have come in and made a difference towards the end of Butcher's time with us?

I hope he gets over it and gets back playing soon though because he was an honest, wholehearted player who made a big difference when he came in on loan and was a huge improvement on some of the work-shy impostors we had the misfortune of watching around that miserable period.
Agree with that. Might not have made much difference in terms of being relegated but he should've definitely played

greenlex
04-01-2016, 01:58 PM
His Second touch is often this kind of tackle. He often makes these lunges but His positioning and touch are usually the lead up play. Hope he recovers quickly.

hibs0666
04-01-2016, 02:04 PM
I've dislocated my kneecap five times. It's ****ing sore.

Smartie
04-01-2016, 02:07 PM
I've dislocated my kneecap five times. It's ****ing sore.

Is it one of those things that is permanently weaker and more likely to happen again once you've done it once? Having done it 5 times would suggest this.

He could do really do without another one of those injuries given the back issues he's had the past.

Big_Franck
04-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Did Snodgrass not miss more than a year with the same injury? Can't see him being back anytime soon.

Whatever his limitations I don't think anyone would say he gave anything less than 100% every time he played for us. I wish him a speedy recovery.

hibs0666
04-01-2016, 03:23 PM
Is it one of those things that is permanently weaker and more likely to happen again once you've done it once? Having done it 5 times would suggest this.

He could do really do without another one of those injuries given the back issues he's had the past.

Yeah you really should do a lot of work to build up quads to minimise likelihood of re-occurrance. I wasn't diligent enough though, and the affected kneecap still wiggles if you give it a shoogle.

hibs0666
04-01-2016, 03:24 PM
Did Snodgrass not miss more than a year with the same injury? Can't see him being back anytime soon.

Whatever his limitations I don't think anyone would say he gave anything less than 100% every time he played for us. I wish him a speedy recovery.

I think McPake is 31 now, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is a career-ending injury given his age.

brog
04-01-2016, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE=Iceman1875;4537274]I sympathise with his injury but until he stops with the Maverick lunges in which he believes is defending, then he is always going to put his body at risk

IMO it was the poor touch by another ex Hibby, John Rankin, that created the problem for James McP. The poor touch meant the ball was available. James actually won the ball cleanly but he's not the most agile of players & his momentum, along with JR's caused the horrible collision. Not the greatest player we'll ever see at ER but no one could doubt his courage or commitment. Good luck James.

NAE NOOKIE
04-01-2016, 03:59 PM
One of, if not the only, Hibs player who could hold his head up after that final. Always gave 100% I wish him a speedy recovery.

worcesterhibby
04-01-2016, 04:04 PM

Definitely remember a 93% performance against Killi.......PETRIE !!!

MWHIBBIES
04-01-2016, 04:32 PM
I watched Sportscene last night and that's exactly what I was thinking. Brought back horrible memories of him in a Hibs shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHorrible memories of him playing really well and keeping us up?

Northernhibee
04-01-2016, 04:46 PM
Horrible memories of him playing really well and keeping us up?

Soon as he signed a contract with us he was honking. Still wish him a speedy recovery, naturally.

lord bunberry
04-01-2016, 04:50 PM
Horrible memories of him playing really well and keeping us up?
Exactly, he was the difference between staying up and going down that season IMO.

Green Fish
04-01-2016, 05:11 PM
Good guy, gives his all. Speedy recovery.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

MrRobot
04-01-2016, 05:19 PM
Wish him a speedy recovery.

greenlex
04-01-2016, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=Iceman1875;4537274]I sympathise with his injury but until he stops with the Maverick lunges in which he believes is defending, then he is always going to put his body at risk

IMO it was the poor touch by another ex Hibby, John Rankin, that created the problem for James McP. The poor touch meant the ball was available. James actually won the ball cleanly but he's not the most agile of players & his momentum, along with JR's caused the horrible collision. Not the greatest player we'll ever see at ER but no one could doubt his courage or commitment. Good luck James.
He was booked for the challenge.

brog
04-01-2016, 05:33 PM
[QUOTE=brog;4537401]
He was booked for the challenge.

I know, by Kevin Clancy! :wink:

greenlex
04-01-2016, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=greenlex;4537473]

I know, by Kevin Clancy! :wink:

😀

givescotlandfreedom
04-01-2016, 06:00 PM
One of, if not the only, Hibs player who could hold his head up after that final. Always gave 100% I wish him a speedy recovery.

That's true. He'd have run through brick walls for us - all the best, James.

Ozyhibby
04-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Exactly, he was the difference between staying up and going down that season IMO.

Our points per game ratio did not change from before he signed in Jan and after. Neither McPake nor Pat Fenlon kept us up, Dunfermline did. We were the 2nd worst team in the top flight that season, with and without James McPake.
A disastrous signing.

marinello59
04-01-2016, 06:52 PM

I would disagree. Too many of his do or die tackles were as a result of his own poor positioning. His total inability to play a ball forward from defence with any sort of confidence made him a liability.
Opinions. :greengrin

ALF TUPPER
04-01-2016, 06:53 PM
Fractured Knee-cap reported on BBC this evening. Poor guy.

😳

James McPake !! James McPake !!

lord bunberry
04-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Our points per game ratio did not change from before he signed in Jan and after. Neither McPake nor Pat Fenlon kept us up, Dunfermline did. We were the 2nd worst team in the top flight that season, with and without James McPake.
A disastrous signing.

I don't think it's as simple as that, when we needed someone to step up and be a leader he filled that role. I thought he came in and galvanised a squad that was in danger of becoming demoralised.

lord bunberry
04-01-2016, 07:01 PM
I would disagree. Too many of his do or die tackles were as a result of his own poor positioning. His total inability to play a ball forward from defence with any sort of confidence made him a liability.
Opinions. :greengrin
I think that liability is harsh on the guy. He struggled with injuries once he signed a permanent deal, but he didn't let himself or anyone else down. As you say opinions :greengrin

marinello59
04-01-2016, 07:05 PM
I think that liability is harsh on the guy. He struggled with injuries once he signed a permanent deal, but he didn't let himself or anyone else down. As you say opinions :greengrin

Maybe that was a bit harsh. I just did not get the acclaim he was getting at the time. Then again I was one of the few who thought Alan O'Brien would eventually come good so what do I know? :greengrin

Ozyhibby
04-01-2016, 07:06 PM
He wouldn't get near our team just now as I think we have 4 centre halves at the club that are better than him. The fact he was club captain shows just how bad our recruitment had become although that was clear by the amount of loan signings we were making. Every transfer window was a crisis.

matty_f
04-01-2016, 07:22 PM
A disastrous signing.

Dunfermline never kept us up, we did. That's like Celtc fans saying "We didn't win the league, just all the other teams lost it." Ridiculous way to make a terrible point.

I'm amazed that you can call McPake a disastrous signing, the points per game ration might not have changed post-his signing, but who's to say it wouldn't have got worse if he hadn't signed. IMHO, McPake's attitude and commitment dragged us to results in a good few games, other took a lead from him as well.

As someone said earlier, he'd have run through walls for us, to call him a disastrous signing is OTT, hysterical nonsense that is completely out of touch with what McPake did for us.

JimBHibees
04-01-2016, 07:30 PM
Dunfermline never kept us up, we did. That's like Celtc fans saying "We didn't win the league, just all the other teams lost it." Ridiculous way to make a terrible point.

I'm amazed that you can call McPake a disastrous signing, the points per game ration might not have changed post-his signing, but who's to say it wouldn't have got worse if he hadn't signed. IMHO, McPake's attitude and commitment dragged us to results in a good few games, other took a lead from him as well.

As someone said earlier, he'd have run through walls for us, to call him a disastrous signing is OTT, hysterical nonsense that is completely out of touch with what McPake did for us.

Agree completely he IMO certainly wasn't a disastrous signing. Always showed great character and leadership at a time no one else did. Unlucky with injuries.

Ozyhibby
04-01-2016, 07:34 PM

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not saying he wasn't committed or didn't try hard. He just wasn't very good. His positional play was awful and he spent a lot of time on his backside after trying to make last ditch tackles to cover himself. His performances in games against the yams were particularly bad (his decision to header the ball at knee height straight to Stevenson in the game that cost Fenlon his job typical of his way of playing). You only need to speak to a yam to see how fond of him they were.
I'm not hysterical, he's gone now and I wish him well with his recovery.

Waxy
04-01-2016, 07:43 PM
Remember the vast majority screaming for Hibs to give him a deal.Wish him a quick and full recovery.

matty_f
04-01-2016, 07:44 PM
Remember the vast majority screaming for Hibs to give him a deal.Wish him a quick and full recovery.

:agree:

marinello59
04-01-2016, 07:45 PM

He was hugely popular.

Jonnyboy
04-01-2016, 07:49 PM
He wouldn't get near our team just now as I think we have 4 centre halves at the club that are better than him. The fact he was club captain shows just how bad our recruitment had become although that was clear by the amount of loan signings we were making. Every transfer window was a crisis.

Ozy, I'm going to have to review my decision to vote for you on the PM board if you keep this up :wink:

Edit: Speedy and full recovery James

Bostonhibby
04-01-2016, 07:53 PM

:agree: Decent leader on the pitch, never hid. Wish him well.

Wheat Hound
04-01-2016, 08:06 PM
The only Hibs player to have scored a Scottish Cup final goal this century 😲😢😢

MWHIBBIES
04-01-2016, 08:22 PM
A disastrous signing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk:faf: Absolute nonsense.

Smartie
04-01-2016, 08:38 PM
I don't think being a good, wholehearted player when he played is enough to stop him being a disastrous signing, unfortunately for him.

He was brilliant when he was here on loan, exactly what we'd been crying out for and he was head and shoulders above the crap we'd had to endure leading up to that time.

The fans really took to him and I reckon we'll have probably influenced Petrie to push the boat out for him.

From that point on he was poor for us, although I'm sure he was playing through injuries.

Just because he was a decent player and put his body on the line doesn't mean he wasn't an awful signing which unfortunately he was.

His problems weren't (imo) his fault though so we should give him a bit of respect.

SausageSurprise
04-01-2016, 09:36 PM
Soon as he signed a contract with us he was honking. Still wish him a speedy recovery, naturally.

This

Andy74
04-01-2016, 10:14 PM

Interesting then that Dunfermline had just beaten us at home prior to them coming in.

B.H.F.C
04-01-2016, 10:26 PM
Interesting then that Dunfermline had just beaten us at home prior to them coming in.

Was it not the other way around and we had just beaten them at East End Park prior to all the loan signings late in the window?

Andy74
04-01-2016, 10:32 PM
Was it not the other way around and we had just beaten them at East End Park prior to all the signings loan signings late in the window?

Somewhere between actually. Just before Fenlon arrived we had lost at home to them. We won 3-2 there mid Jan. I think only Doyle and Francombe had arrived signing wise.

SausageSurprise
04-01-2016, 10:39 PM
Somewhere between actually. Just before Fenlon arrived we had lost at home to them. We won 3-2 there mid Jan. I think only Doyle and Francombe had arrived signing wise.

Eion Doyle signed early to mid December and scored on his debut in the cup at Cowdenbeath. The week after a late Leigh Griffiths winner at EEP got us a 3-2 win

The Tom Soares, Matt Dohertys and Jorge Claros' were last minute loan deals iirc

Add in your Roy Donovans and all the other useless ****ers that were signed in that window too

MWHIBBIES
04-01-2016, 10:44 PM
Eion Doyle signed early to mid December and scored on his debut in the cup at Cowdenbeath. The week after a late Leigh Griffiths winner at EEP got us a 3-2 win

The Tom Soares, Matt Dohertys and Jorge Claros' were last minute loan deals iirc

Add in your Roy Donovans and all the other useless ****ers that were signed in that window tooThat Cowdenbeath game was 7th January, a week after Doyle signed.

Sir David Gray
04-01-2016, 10:47 PM
The only Hibs player to have scored a Scottish Cup final goal this century 

I don't think we should really be broadcasting this to be honest! :wink:

SausageSurprise
04-01-2016, 10:48 PM
That Cowdenbeath game was 7th January, a week after Doyle signed.

I'm thought Doyle signed a good wee while before he actually played his first game. The Irish season had finished in November time and they were awaiting his registration coming over

Happy to be corrected though

Smartie
04-01-2016, 10:48 PM

Add in your Roy Donovans and all the other useless ****ers that were signed in that window too

Useless they may have been, they were a vast improvement on what we had before.

Our league performances in the second half of that season were better than the first and the abominable cup final performance detracts from the fact that it was a decent achievement getting there in the first place.

MWHIBBIES
04-01-2016, 10:49 PM
I'm thought Doyle signed a good wee while before he actually played his first game. The Irish season had finished in November time and they were awaiting his registration coming over

Happy to be corrected thoughFairly sure it was January 1st or last few days of December that we announced it.

SausageSurprise
04-01-2016, 10:53 PM
Useless they may have been, they were a vast improvement on what we had before.

Our league performances in the second half of that season were better than the first and the abominable cup final performance detracts from the fact that it was a decent achievement getting there in the first place.

Other than McPake while on loan they weren't much better than what we'd had before in my opinion. Jorge Claros did improve greatly after he had his pre season, but he wasn't that great in his first 5 months

Pete
04-01-2016, 11:01 PM
You only need to speak to a yam to see how fond of him they were.

Bloody hell. The day I start using whatever they say about one of our players as any sort of barometer...

Andy74
04-01-2016, 11:52 PM
Other than McPake while on loan they weren't much better than what we'd had before in my opinion. Jorge Claros did improve greatly after he had his pre season, but he wasn't that great in his first 5 months

We went from having lost at home to Dunfermline to beating them twice, the last one quite convincingly, finishing reasonably clear of them and getting to a cup final. We were better than we were. Anyway...

B.H.F.C
05-01-2016, 12:07 AM
We went from having lost at home to Dunfermline to beating them twice, the last one quite convincingly, finishing reasonably clear of them and getting to a cup final. We were better than we were. Anyway...

Depends on the way you look at it I suppose. Ninth in the league when he took over but finished eleventh so not that much better.

lyonhibs
05-01-2016, 07:17 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not saying he wasn't committed or didn't try hard. He just wasn't very good. His positional play was awful and he spent a lot of time on his backside after trying to make last ditch tackles to cover himself. His performances in games against the yams were particularly bad (his decision to header the ball at knee height straight to Stevenson in the game that cost Fenlon his job typical of his way of playing). You only need to speak to a yam to see how fond of him they were.
I'm not hysterical, he's gone now and I wish him well with his recovery.

Your 2nd + 3rd sentences sum it up for me. He did have a couple of great games where he dominated our penalty box, both on the ground and in the air, but most of the time he was forever reacting to a dangerous situation that his own Humpty positioning has played a big role in creating, hence the guts or glory lunges.

Great when they worked, but often left him on his arse bypassed by the game.

Never gave less than his best though, which is a damn sight more than some of the shysters he played with so I wish him a speedy recovery.

Andy74
05-01-2016, 10:10 AM
Depends on the way you look at it I suppose. Ninth in the league when he took over but finished eleventh so not that much better.

The teams around us had games in hand when we were ninth. Oh, and we were absolutely dire. We were in proper danger of going down even at that early point.

B.H.F.C
05-01-2016, 10:49 AM
The teams around us had games in hand when we were ninth. Oh, and we were absolutely dire. We were in proper danger of going down even at that early point.

Which is exactly how we were right up until the second last game of the season.

14 points from 15 games when he took over. Finished with 33 which means we took 19 from the remaining 23 games. Hard to call that an improvement.

WeeRussell
05-01-2016, 12:26 PM
Certainly wish him all the best in his recovery. He was a trier for us and injuries caused him a lot of bother.

You could tell things were bad by the immediate concern from a few United players around him.
By the way - he could easily have been sent off for the challenge.

eastmainsmsh
05-01-2016, 12:29 PM
Wish James mcpake a quick recovery liked him

--------
06-01-2016, 10:50 AM
My mates a Dundee fan he heard that he may even miss the start of next season.

Fingers crossed he makes a full recovery.

He could be playing against us next season ...

Fancy one of those lunges crippling McGinn or Cummings?

Just saying.

BSEJVT
06-01-2016, 11:03 AM
Although an extremely limited footballer, both playing wise and in his decision making, he stood out like a beacon amongst the dross that had infested the club at that time, because of his attitude.

The decision to sign him permanently given his known injury problems was indicative of the piecemeal and ill thought out transfer dealings we were renowned for in that period.

I hope he makes a recovery, but its not an easy injury to recover from.

jdships
06-01-2016, 11:48 AM
Although an extremely limited footballer, both playing wise and in his decision making, he stood out like a beacon amongst the dross that had infested the club at that time, because of his attitude.

The decision to sign him permanently given his known injury problems was indicative of the piecemeal and ill thought out transfer dealings we were renowned for in that period.

I hope he makes a recovery, but its not an easy injury to recover from.

Good post and says it all for me
A " trier" but not a great deal more
Wish him a speedy recovery !!

Danderhall Hibs
06-01-2016, 01:12 PM

Just saying.

Has he crippled many in his career Doddie?

hibs0666
06-01-2016, 01:26 PM

Just saying.

What does McPake have against McGinn or Cummings that he would want to cripple them?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
06-01-2016, 03:18 PM
Wish him a speedy recovery, always liked the big man and gave his all for Hibs.

Thecat23
06-01-2016, 03:23 PM
What does McPake have against McGinn or Cummings that he would want to cripple them?

Nothing, I think he's saying that's his way of playing and could maybe hurt someone I.e Cummings or McGinn.

Hope he recovers soon, hate seeing injuries like that on anyone.

MWHIBBIES
06-01-2016, 03:24 PM

I hope he makes a recovery, but its not an easy injury to recover from.The whole forum wanted him signed at the time and was delighted when it happened.

BSEJVT
06-01-2016, 03:27 PM
The whole forum wanted him signed at the time and was delighted when it happened.

There's no way to say this without being arsey, which isn't my intention, but you cant speak for the whole forum

I for one did not want him signed and I would guess others didn't also.

Ozyhibby
06-01-2016, 03:46 PM
The whole forum wanted him signed at the time and was delighted when it happened.

You shouldn't sign people just because it would be popular with the fans otherwise we would be signing Riordon despite him not kicking a ball for about 4 years.

MWHIBBIES
06-01-2016, 04:19 PM
There's no way to say this without being arsey, which isn't my intention, but you cant speak for the whole forum

I for one did not want him signed and I would guess others didn't also.Fair enough. 99% wanted him signed, I remember loads of threads at the time.

I'm not speaking for the whole forum either, they spoke for themselves at the time.

MWHIBBIES
06-01-2016, 04:20 PM
You shouldn't sign people just because it would be popular with the fans otherwise we would be signing Riordon despite him not kicking a ball for about 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIndeed, you should sign players based on good performances, McPake gave 6 months of them while on loan.

Smartie
06-01-2016, 04:32 PM
I can't think of many signings during my time following Hibs that will have been met with higher approval from the fans, even in spite of a poor injury history and (probably) high wage demands.

It's easy to say with hindsight we shouldn't have signed him but I don't remember anyone at the time saying we should do anything other than push the boat and make sure he joined us.

Andy74
06-01-2016, 04:54 PM
I can't think of many signings during my time following Hibs that will have been met with higher approval from the fans, even in spite of a poor injury history and (probably) high wage demands.

It's easy to say with hindsight we shouldn't have signed him but I don't remember anyone at the time saying we should do anything other than push the boat and make sure he joined us.

Yep, it was supposed to be a test of our ambition and Petrie's tight fistedness at the time. We had to break the wage structure at the time. although I don't think we have one as such per player now we did then.

We all had a man crush on him at the time didn't we? :greengrin

marinello59
06-01-2016, 04:57 PM

I said at the time if we wanted a James McPake type player we could get one without breaking the bank. It didn't go down well it has to be said... But then few of my posts do. :greengrin

highland hibbee
06-01-2016, 11:29 PM
Wish him a speedy recovery, always liked the big man and gave his all for Hibs.

Ok often his second touch was a tackle, but hey ho slime bag Caldwell made a career out of that, James McPake played with his heart, something that was sadly lacking in our team the couple of seasons up to and including relegation.
however, as hopefully someone more in the know than me will confirm, didn't James buy out his contract down south to come to Hibs, which from memory was around 150k? I'm pretty confident I'm correct and therefore the laddie took a big financial hit to come here.
Just to confirm, there were better players at Hibs, but he did his best for us, and I for one wish him a speedy and full recovery.
oh, just to say most of the tackles he made for us were last gasp as he had already gone out of position to cover for some lazy arsed so and so with a slightly foreign sounding name, or maybe more than one. That's the reality of the state we were in.
all the best lad
ach and it's good to hear Malpas being consulted by BBC Scotland on the relegation struggle his old team face,....... Baw bag

Northernhibee
07-01-2016, 06:41 AM
If it wasn't for his attitude he'd be playing in Scottish league one or two. It says a lot for the quality of the man that his attitude sees him in the SPL for so long.

Smartie
07-01-2016, 09:05 AM
Ok often his second touch was a tackle, but hey ho slime bag Caldwell made a career out of that, James McPake played with his heart, something that was sadly lacking in our team the couple of seasons up to and including relegation.
however, as hopefully someone more in the know than me will confirm, didn't James buy out his contract down south to come to Hibs, which from memory was around 150k? I'm pretty confident I'm correct and therefore the laddie took a big financial hit to come here.
Just to confirm, there were better players at Hibs, but he did his best for us, and I for one wish him a speedy and full recovery.
oh, just to say most of the tackles he made for us were last gasp as he had already gone out of position to cover for some lazy arsed so and so with a slightly foreign sounding name, or maybe more than one. That's the reality of the state we were in.
all the best lad
ach and it's good to hear Malpas being consulted by BBC Scotland on the relegation struggle his old team face,....... Baw bag

Very good point re Caldwell.

I never warmed to Caldwell. I think it was his arrogance, I got a feeling that he rated himself much higher than us and that he only ever saw us a stepping stone to get to the level he deserved to be at. And in reality he was pretty pish, it was his poor positional play that saw him need to make those heroic tackles more often than not (see more than one spectacular lunging own goal for evidence). It still sticks in my craw that he was earning £40k a week at Wigan at one point as I never rated him as a player.

With McPake you got the feeling that he actually wanted to be at Easter Road which was an unusual occurrence in those days and whilst he was limited at least he was 100% committed. That should be a given for a footballer but there was a shameful spell where it was a rare occurrence in a Hibs player.

Stevie Reid
07-01-2016, 01:35 PM
The responses to Caldwell and McPake (and some other players) these days always stuns me. Caldwell was an excellent player for us and Celtic, and I put him in my CB partnership (along with Bamba) for a thread on here last year asking for our best XI from the last ten years. I honestly wonder what people think sometimes when they decry a lack of quality in our team in recent years, yet completely dismiss a player who went on to win numerous titles, caps, and play in the Champions League and EPL.

McPake was a revelation when he first arrived, exactly the kind of player and leader we were looking for at the time. We all shat ourselves when we thought he was injured for that cup final, and even though he didn't have a great game on the day, he did score a goal to pull us back into a game we could have been well out of by that stage.

I've had a quick look on Soccerbase for the one full season he had under Fenlon in 2012-13 - in 32 appearances we won 11, drew 12 and lost 9, which hardly suggests he was the complete headless chicken liability that many on here state he was (though he clearly wasn't anyway). I remember us showing great spirit to doggedly defend leads in many of our wins that season, much of that came from McPake. His interview after our 1-1 draw with Hearts at ER after the 5-1 game, where he stated that there was 'no way they would walk all over us again' (and indeed they didn't that season, no defeats and robbed of other victories) was lapped up by everyone on here. Let's not pretend otherwise.

A friend of mine bumped into him on holiday once when JM was Hibs captain and he said he spoke to him at length, and was immensely proud to be captain of our club. One of the saddest days of my Hibs supporting life (quite a statement) was when McPake was roundly booed off by our own support after getting sent off against Hearts in that 1-0 League Cup QF defeat, it was disgusting. As others have mentioned, supporters were clamouring for us to sign him, and many people's purchasing of a season ticket - and indeed Hibs' own ambitions - were apparently contingent upon it.

We did and he served us as well as he could - he was most definitely not without his flaws, but the revisionism on here is really quite staggering.

Ozyhibby
07-01-2016, 01:57 PM
The responses to Caldwell and McPake (and some other players) these days always stuns me. Caldwell was an excellent player for us and Celtic, and I put him in my CB partnership (along with Bamba) for a thread on here last year asking for our best XI from the last ten years. I honestly wonder what people think sometimes when they decry a lack of quality in our team in recent years, yet completely dismiss a player who went on to win numerous titles, caps, and play in the Champions League and EPL.

McPake was a revelation when he first arrived, exactly the kind of player and leader we were looking for at the time. We all shat ourselves when we thought he was injured for that cup final, and even though he didn't have a great game on the day, he did score a goal to pull us back into a game we could have been well out of by that stage.

I've had a quick look on Soccerbase for the one full season he had under Fenlon in 2012-13 - in 32 appearances we won 11, drew 12 and lost 9, which hardly suggests he was the complete headless chicken liability that many on here state he was (though he clearly wasn't anyway). I remember us showing great spirit to doggedly defend leads in many of our wins that season, much of that came from McPake. His interview after our 1-1 draw with Hearts at ER after the 5-1 game, where he stated that there was 'no way they would walk all over us again' (and indeed they didn't that season, no defeats and robbed of other victories) was lapped up by everyone on here. Let's not pretend otherwise.

A friend of mine bumped into him on holiday once when JM was Hibs captain and he said he spoke to him at length, and was immensely proud to be captain of our club. One of the saddest days of my Hibs supporting life (quite a statement) was when McPake was roundly booed off by our own support after getting sent off against Hearts in that 1-0 League Cup QF defeat, it was disgusting. As others have mentioned, supporters were clamouring for us to sign him, and many people's purchasing of a season ticket - and indeed Hibs' own ambitions - were apparently contingent upon it.

We did and he served us as well as he could - he was most definitely not without his flaws, but the revisionism on here is really quite staggering.

Was he getting booed off the park when he was here or is it revisionism now? Can't be both.

Stevie Reid
07-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Was he getting booed off the park when he was here or is it revisionism now? Can't be both.

Yes it can.

Winston Ingram
07-01-2016, 02:45 PM

This.

Should have had surgery on his back way before he did. Loved being our captain

Smartie
07-01-2016, 03:33 PM

It's a matter of opinion.

Your opinion of Caldwell is perfectly valid and to be fair it is one that has been shared by enough managers of excellent repute over the years to see him win the honours you mention.

I just never saw it, never took to him, never saw what the fuss was about.

I've been watching Hibs since the (very) early nineties and we have had probably going on for about 10 centre-halves that I would prefer to Caldwell, just a matter of choice and opinion.

Hunter
Sauzee (if you could call him a CH when he was playing sweeper)
Fenwick
Smith
Jones
Hogg
Bamba
McPake
Hanlon
Fontaine

For starters these are all players I'd rate above Caldwell. Caldwell would be lucky to push into a group just below them with McIntyre, Yogi, Zambernardi (I know, but I just liked him), Forster and now McGregor looks like he'd be up there with them too. I liked Shaun Dennis too. None of this "I'm a ball-playing centre-half destined for big things" pish about big Shaun.

Personal preference, I know I'm probably wrong but just the way I see it.

My mate who supports Celtc asked me what I thought of him when he joined, I told him "not much" and that I was glad to see him go. He didn't think much of him either in the end.

I agree with everything you say about McPake btw.

Stevie Reid
07-01-2016, 04:01 PM
It's a matter of opinion.

Your opinion of Caldwell is perfectly valid and to be fair it is one that has been shared by enough managers of excellent repute over the years to see him win the honours you mention.

I just never saw it, never took to him, never saw what the fuss was about.

I've been watching Hibs since the (very) early nineties and we have had probably going on for about 10 centre-halves that I would prefer to Caldwell, just a matter of choice and opinion.

Hunter
Sauzee (if you could call him a CH when he was playing sweeper)
Fenwick
Smith
Jones
Hogg
Bamba
McPake
Hanlon
Fontaine

For starters these are all players I'd rate above Caldwell. Caldwell would be lucky to push into a group just below them with McIntyre, Yogi, Zambernardi (I know, but I just liked him), Forster and now McGregor looks like he'd be up there with them too. I liked Shaun Dennis too. None of this "I'm a ball-playing centre-half destined for big things" pish about big Shaun.

Personal preference, I know I'm probably wrong but just the way I see it.

My mate who supports Celtc asked me what I thought of him when he joined, I told him "not much" and that I was glad to see him go. He didn't think much of him either in the end.

I agree with everything you say about McPake btw.

It is indeed all about opinions! Cheers for an interesting read in reply.

FWIW, though I liked every single CH you list up there, I would say that Fontaine would have to be ruled out for now (IMO) as he has only played for us in the Championship - if Paul Hanlon can play like he has in the Championship in the SPL, he be amongst my favourites ever, and I do believe he has the potential to do so; especially based on his performances when he and McPake partnered each other in 2012-13. I don't believe we'd have been relegated had he not been injured so often at the end of 2013-14 season.

Gary Smith was excellent but I'd still probably rate Caldwell higher, liked Fenwick a lot but again Caldwell over him - same for McPake and Hogg. Bamba probably on a par with Caldwell. Love Gordon Hunter, never a more committed player to play for us. Jones will always be remembered for scoring in that final and lifting the trophy, but I wasn't hugely fond of him as a player in the second half of his time here - especially after agitating over his contract situation, only months after apologising for the 'revolt' and saying that such things wouldn't happen again.

King Franck is just light years ahead of all of them.