PDA

View Full Version : Home Form - lack of Goals

Libby Hibby
02-01-2016, 06:32 PM
First of all great three points today and good to bounce back after the Rangers game but I feel we need to start being a bit more ruthless, show a bit more urgency and score a few more goals, certainly at home.

Granted it's difficult when teams come to ER and play anti football but in the last 3 home games we have only scored 1 in each of these games, I still feel we are quite pedestrian at times and if we are not careful, we may drop points at home if we don't put more goals passed teams as some team will take a chance against us.

Please for the points today but we do need to start going for the jugular in games earlier.

Just my observations of course.

GGTTH

Vault Boy
02-01-2016, 06:43 PM
Tend to agree. The goals from midfield particularly have dried up recently and I think this needs to be addressed.

Golden Bear
02-01-2016, 06:45 PM
First of all great three points today and good to bounce back after the Rangers game but I feel we need to start being a bit more ruthless, show a bit more urgency and score a few more goals, certainly at home.

Granted it's difficult when teams come to ER and play anti football but in the last 3 home games we have only scored 1 in each of these games, I still feel we are quite pedestrian at times and if we are not careful, we may drop points at home if we don't put more goals passed teams as some team will take a chance against us.

Please for the points today but we do need to start going for the jugular in games earlier.

Just my observations of course.

GGTTH

Correct. Time for the team to make things happen rather than waiting on something to happen.

Booked4Being-Ugly
02-01-2016, 06:55 PM
Teams are coming to ER and digging in, looking to slow the pace down and waste as much time as possible.

We need to work on trying to break these teams down and being more inventive around the box.

marinello59
02-01-2016, 07:01 PM
Teams are coming to ER and digging in, looking to slow the pace down and waste as much time as possible.

We need to work on trying to break these teams down and being more inventive around the box.

We are breaking them down. We win most of them.

Northernhibee
02-01-2016, 07:02 PM
As long as at the final whistle we've scored more than the other team then job done. Whether 1-0, 10-0 or 26-25 then that's what counts.

Thecat23
02-01-2016, 07:03 PM

The draw with Falkirk and the last min goal v QOS proves we are finding it very difficult. I think we well once we are done in this window start winning more comfortable like The Huns today and Falkirk seem to do.

ballengeich
02-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Today's performance showed both our strengths and weaknesses. We dominated the game with some lovely inter-passing, and Oxley had very little to do, but made few chances and the only goal came from a penalty conceded in a move which looked no more likely than others to bring a goal. The same problems have been apparent all season. The midfield lacks width and don't score goals. They don't score goals because they don't get into scoring positions often enought. I specifically watched the Raith penalty area when the ball was played into it and hardly ever saw any of our midfield there. When Cummings and Malonga weren't left on their own it was as likely to be one of the back four helping. The midfield are good players individually, but the blend just isn't quite right and that's why The Rangers will probably win the division.

Northernhibee
02-01-2016, 07:10 PM
Today's performance showed both our strengths and weaknesses. We dominated the game with some lovely inter-passing, and Oxley had very little to do, but made few chances and the only goal came from a penalty conceded in a move which looked no more likely than others to bring a goal. The same problems have been apparent all season. The midfield lacks width and don't score goals. They don't score goals because they don't get into scoring positions often enought. I specifically watched the Raith penalty area when the ball was played into it and hardly ever saw any of our midfield there. When Cummings and Malonga weren't left on their own it was as likely to be one of the back four helping. The midfield are good players individually, but the blend just isn't quite right and that's why The Rangers will probably win the division.

One loss in twenty or so - sorry but I think that last sentence is defeatist. It's a very close call IMO

banchoryhibs
02-01-2016, 07:12 PM
I would like to see Anier given more of a game as he provides something different up front. He's a bit more direct and can use his size and weight to good effect when we're trying to break down a 10 man defence.

And what's happened to Carmichael?

It's good to get a win immediately but we really do have to start putting teams away more efficiently. :flag:

greenlex
02-01-2016, 07:15 PM
We don't move the ball quickly enough. It's not lack of goals that's bothering me. It's the ponderous style we seem to have adopted of late. When we did today and at times the one touch stuff was terrific but it's all to brief and all too sporadic. There seems to be a lack of urgency .

ballengeich
02-01-2016, 07:15 PM
One loss in twenty or so - sorry but I think that last sentence is defeatist. It's a very close call IMO

I agree it's a close call, but I suspect that there will be games like today where we'll dominate, but drop points in a 0-0 or 1-1 draw and that these games will eventually decide the title. I don't think that our play and formation have to alter much to make the difference so I see my post as a call for an adjustment rather than defeatism.

MWHIBBIES
02-01-2016, 07:16 PM
The draw with Falkirk and the last min goal v QOS proves we are finding it very difficult. I think we well once we are done in this window start winning more comfortable like The Huns today and Falkirk seem to do.We had 10 men against Falkirk for over half the game, why is that never mentioned when using that game as an example? We were absolutely all over them before it.

CockneyRebel
02-01-2016, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=banchoryhibs;4536036]I would like to see Anier given more of a game as he provides something different up front. He's a bit more direct and can use his size and weight to good effect when we're trying to break down a 10 man defence.

He had an op on his groin 3weeks go and needs 6 weeks more for recovery.

Ronniekirk
02-01-2016, 07:31 PM
I would like to see Anier given more of a game as he provides something different up front. He's a bit more direct and can use his size and weight to good effect when we're trying to break down a 10 man defence.

It's good to get a win immediately but we really do have to start putting teams away more efficiently. :flag:

carmichael back running in training but Stubbs saying about six weeks away from being able to be considered for first team and that will be assuming no set back .
so he may be able to play his way into team for the run in or be option from the bench .

But given how important he was for Queen of the South last season injuries have meant he hasn't had opportunity to show what he can do

erin go bragh
02-01-2016, 08:07 PM

A few guys were saying today that Anier is going back to Dundee Utd . Been recalled by Mixu seemingly .
Pity if true as the little action he has played ,he has looked the part .

Peevemor
02-01-2016, 08:14 PM
A few guys were saying today that Anier is going back to Dundee Utd . Been recalled by Mixu seemingly .

They spoke about this during the hibs tv commentary today. I didn't catch all that was said, but under the terms of the agreement Utd. can't recall him unilaterally so it looks like he's staying.

Cod Boy
02-01-2016, 08:15 PM

I would have thought he would have went back there as soon as the window reopened.Seems strange that he was on the bench today as there could have been a risk he got injured.

erin go bragh
02-01-2016, 08:17 PM
[QUOTE=Peevemor;4536126]They spoke about this during the hibs tv commentary today. I didn't catch all that was said, but under the terms of the agreement Utd. can't recall him unilaterally so it looks like he's staying.[/QUOTE

Good news if thats true :aok:

Thecat23
02-01-2016, 08:32 PM
We had 10 men against Falkirk for over half the game, why is that never mentioned when using that game as an example? We were absolutely all over them before it.

I had actually forgot that. We defo had more of the ball against them before the sending off can't remember any chances though? Not saying there wasn't but I just remember a lot of ball holding.

Famous Fiver
02-01-2016, 08:35 PM
Three points.

End of.

bingo70
02-01-2016, 08:53 PM
Three points.

End of.

It's not the end of it though.

Nobody is denying it's great to get the three points but as long as it's as tight as that there's a danger we'll drop points.

If we're going to win this league we need to be scoring more goals and be less reliant on Cummings imo

Northernhibee
02-01-2016, 08:58 PM
It's not the end of it though.

Nobody is denying it's great to get the three points but as long as it's as tight as that there's a danger we'll drop points.

If we're going to win this league we need to be scoring more goals and be less reliant on Cummings imo

As long as there's a goal in it to Hibs favour we won't.

HoboHarry
02-01-2016, 09:00 PM
They spoke about this during the hibs tv commentary today. I didn't catch all that was said, but under the terms of the agreement Utd. can't recall him unilaterally so it looks like he's staying.
They were saying that the loan is until the end of the season but that there was a clause which would allow Hibs to ship him back if it hadn't been working out. Cliff was fairly clear in his belief that DU have no right to bring him back without our agreement.

MWHIBBIES
02-01-2016, 09:02 PM
It isn't really a tactics thing IMO. We attack pretty well honestly but our players aren't clinical. Keatings and Boyle both missed easy chances against Queens, McGeough missed one today. If those go in we win both games comfortable and this thread doesn't exist. Our players need to finish the chance when we create them.

bingo70
02-01-2016, 09:03 PM
As long as there's a goal in it to Hibs favour we won't.

Like it did against st mirren, Falkirk and very nearly did against qots?

As I said it was great to get the three points today but looking beyond the result imo we've got problems in that team as we're not scoring enough goals. We got away with it today and we're good enough defensively to get away with it most weeks but if we don't learn to score more goals we won't win this league imo

Pretty Boy
02-01-2016, 09:03 PM
It isn't really a tactics thing IMO. We attack pretty well honestly but our players aren't clinical. Keatings and Boyle both missed easy chances against Queens, McGeough missed one today. If those go in we win both games comfortable and this thread doesn't exist. Our players need to finish the chance when we create them.

Spot on.

We had enough chances to win by 3 goals or more today. It's nothing to do with tactics that we didn't take those chances.

bingo70
02-01-2016, 09:06 PM
Spot on.

We had enough chances to win by 3 goals or more today. It's nothing to do with tactics that we didn't take those chances.

We've been saying that since the start of last season though and while I don't necessarily disagree with you our lack of goals still concerns me.

Colr
02-01-2016, 09:11 PM

More tactical flexibility? Need someone experienced in the middle to orchestrate that.

Pretty Boy
02-01-2016, 09:13 PM
We've been saying that since the start of last season though and while I don't necessarily disagree with you our lack of goals still concerns me.

I'd like to see us score more, goes without saying. However numerous times this season we have won by 1 goal or got a result without hitting top gear. That wasn't always the case last season.

I accept going forward we may have to be more clinical or we may drop daft points but as it is since the St Mirren game at ER it hasn't really cost us this season.

Northernhibee
02-01-2016, 09:14 PM
Like it did against st mirren, Falkirk and very nearly did against qots?

As I said it was great to get the three points today but looking beyond the result imo we've got problems in that team as we're not scoring enough goals. We got away with it today and we're good enough defensively to get away with it most weeks but if we don't learn to score more goals we won't win this league imo

If we manage a scrappy 1-0 in every game we play we win the league. Today was another box ticked and we should be happy we found a goal against a team hell bent on playing for a 0-0 draw.

greenlex
02-01-2016, 09:15 PM
If we manage a scrappy 1-0 in every game we play we win the league. Today was another box ticked and we should be happy we found a goal against a team hell bent on playing for a 0-0 draw.

Technically not true.

HH81
I am just pleased the home form is not lack of wins.

As long as they keep coming goal amounts are not too important.

CropleyWasGod

No longer the case, unfortunately.

If we do that, and Rangers win all their other games, they win the league.

BoomtownHibees
If we manage a scrappy 1-0 in every game we play we win the league.

No we wouldn't

jabis
02-01-2016, 09:19 PM

End of ,was at the game,3points.

Pete
02-01-2016, 09:20 PM
If we won each game 1-0 the chances are we would win the league. I'd say 99%.

:rolleyes:

bingo70
02-01-2016, 09:26 PM

I am happy we won the game I still think there's a bigger issue worth discussing though.

We won't win every game 1 nil, I'm sure of that so we need to start scoring more goals imo

Sir David Gray
02-01-2016, 09:26 PM

We would lose it on goal difference, if Sevco won all their games except the one against us.

My_Wife_Camille
02-01-2016, 09:27 PM

No longer the case, unfortunately.

If we do that, and Rangers win all their other games, they win the league.
Exactly. Which, incidentally, would be down to the very thing that Northernhibee is insisting isn't a problem.

Northernhibee
02-01-2016, 09:29 PM
Exactly. Which, incidentally, would be down to the very thing that Northernhibee is insisting isn't a problem.

I'll never be unhappy with us winning a game. Sadly it seems some people on here will find any reason whatsoever to knock the team.

Do you really think that Sevco are going to win every single other game this season? All we need to do is keep winning. 1-0, 2-0, 5-0, 10-0 - they call count. Hook or by crook, wins win leagues.

Pretty Boy
02-01-2016, 09:32 PM
Out of interest how many Scottish league titles have been decided on goal difference in recent times?

1986 famously and Rangers won it on GD the year Celtic took over 8.2M fans to Seville. Did Gretna pip St Johnstone once on goal difference? I'm struggling to think of many others. I think people are getting a bit hung up on something that is unlikely to determine how the league ends up.

Libby Hibby
02-01-2016, 09:35 PM
I'm not saying that winning one nil is a problem, far from it but I just think we need to start winning more convincingly at home as by the law of averages, some team is going to trip is up if we only keep scoring 1 goal at ER.

Also I genuinely think crowds will start to increase if we are scoring more goals...goes without saying really

bingo70
02-01-2016, 09:35 PM
Out of interest how many Scottish league titles have been decided on goal difference in recent times?

1986 famously and Rangers won it on GD the year Celtic took over 8.2M fans to Seville. Did Gretna pip St Johnstone once on goal difference? I'm struggling to think of many others. I think people are getting a bit hung up on something that is unlikely to determine how the league ends up.

I don't think the goal difference is the concern, it's the inevitability of us dropping points if we don't score more goals at home that's the concern

lord bunberry
02-01-2016, 09:36 PM
I'd like to see us score more, goes without saying. However numerous times this season we have won by 1 goal or got a result without hitting top gear. That wasn't always the case last season.

I accept going forward we may have to be more clinical or we may drop daft points but as it is since the St Mirren game at ER it hasn't really cost us this season.
:agree: Played 19 won 14 drew 2 lost 3 we are the masters of the 1 goal victory. Last season we would've run hearts much closer had we done the same. We've found a style that wins games and although we'd all rather we won by a bigger margin, we're still right in the mix despite the fact the Huns have been hammering teams.

Libby Hibby
02-01-2016, 09:38 PM
I'll never be unhappy with us winning a game. Sadly it seems some people on here will find any reason whatsoever to knock the team.

Do you really think that Sevco are going to win every single other game this season? All we need to do is keep winning. 1-0, 2-0, 5-0, 10-0 - they call count. Hook or by crook, wins win leagues.

Yeah but we're not winning 2-0, 5-0, 10-0 are we? Winning 1-0 is ok but it's a dangerous score line if we are continually only scoring 1 in our home games

My_Wife_Camille
02-01-2016, 09:39 PM

It is possible to be happy about a result and still have concerns about the performance just as it's possible to get a good result from a poor performance. Voicing concerns over our lack of goals isn't just finding a reason to knock the team, it's a valid concern that could come back to haunt us come the end of the season.

And no I don't think that Sevco will win every other game this season and that's not something I said. By the same logic I could ask you if you really think we'll win every game 1-0? I'm sure, like me, you'd say no.

That doesn't change the fact that there's every chance that we could be neck and neck with Rangers on the last day of the season and at the rate we're scoring goals so far this season we would lose out.

I don't think the goal difference is the concern, it's the inevitability of us dropping points if we don't score more goals at home that's the concern
This too. The whole goal difference chat distracted from my initial point that we're more likely to drop silly points if we don't score more goals.

Onion
02-01-2016, 09:56 PM
We bounce back from a horrible loss with a 3 point win against one of the trickiest opponents and it's still not good enough for some. Stubbs and the team have done amazing things this season, developing the steal and determination we've lacked for years, winning matches we're used to losing, and competing at the right end of the table, and STILL it's not good enough ?

Just hope Stubbs and Dempster don't read this kind of stuff. They'd despair.

bingo70
02-01-2016, 09:58 PM
We bounce back from a horrible loss with a 3 point win against one of the trickiest opponents and it's still not good enough for some. Stubbs and the team have done amazing things this season, developing the steal and determination we've lacked for years, winning matches we're used to losing, and competing at the right end of the table, and STILL it's not good enough ?

Have you tried reading some of the very valid points people are making rather than just spouting off?

Everybody is happy with the three points today.

Libby Hibby
02-01-2016, 10:00 PM

I think everyone is happy with 3 points today but the lack of goals is a concern to me and others and perhaps you also

Northernhibee
02-01-2016, 10:02 PM
Have you tried reading some of the very valid points people are making rather than just spouting off?

Everybody is happy with the three points today.

Really?

bingo70
Really?

Yes

B.H.F.C

I've not really read anybody slating the team.

I think everybody acknowledges it is a good 3 points but want to discuss the things we could do better.

greenlex
02-01-2016, 10:06 PM
Really?

Why wouldn't they be happy with three points? You're looking for something that isn't there.

Northernhibee
02-01-2016, 10:09 PM
Why wouldn't they be happy with three points? You're looking for something that isn't there.

The negativity is relentless on here sometimes. Tough game today and three points but some can't let the dust settle before picking holes.

lord bunberry
02-01-2016, 10:11 PM
The negativity is relentless on here sometimes. Tough game today and three points but some can't let the dust settle before picking holes.
That's not true, everyone is delighted with the win, there's no doubt that a lack of the killer instinct is a bit of a concern.

BoomtownHibees
02-01-2016, 10:13 PM

It is possible to be looking for improvement but still be positive about today's result. I've not seen anybody on here saying they aren't happy with the 3 points

Sergey
02-01-2016, 10:15 PM

You'll be telling us all next that the Man Utd fans are delighted with 3 points today using that analogy.

I'm not looking for an argument - but it was Raith Rovers we played today.

Ronniekirk
02-01-2016, 10:15 PM
Yeah but we're not winning 2-0, 5-0, 10-0 are we? Winning 1-0 is ok but it's a dangerous score line if we are continually only scoring 1 in our home games

We are in a dip in form , think that's clear so I assume at some point we will come out of that and start winning more comfortably ?However I agree with one of your earlier posts that scoring more goals would help getting fans back ,particularly younger fans who get bored more easily if we don't up the tempo ,create more chances and take them .
But for now we just need to continue to win at any cost ,and hang in there .

Pete
02-01-2016, 10:20 PM
We dip in form and we scrape results. When Rangers dip in form they draw with dross like Morton and Livingston.

Relax people. :thumbsup:

Danderhall Hibs
02-01-2016, 10:24 PM
We dip in form and we scrape results. When Rangers dip in form they draw with dross like Morton and Livingston.

Relax people. :thumbsup:

Aye but when they're on form they hammer folk - we rarely do. That's one of the points being made isn't it?

B.H.F.C
02-01-2016, 10:27 PM

That's rubbish.

Nobody, as far as I've seen, has slated the team. People just think there are areas for improvement. It doesn't automatically mean people are being negative.

Pretty Boy
02-01-2016, 10:28 PM
Aye but when they're on form they hammer folk - we rarely do. That's one of the points being made isn't it?

For all they hammer folk, they have played the same number of games as us this season and managed only 1 more win, against us. You get the same number of points for winning 1-0 as 6-0. All the stuff about only winning 1-0 makes it more likely we will drop points is thus far this season unfounded. Rangers have yet to shake off us or Falkirk, who don't hammer many teams, so I'm not really worried about what they do on form until such time as we start losing ground, rather than gaining it, on or off form.

Northernhibee
02-01-2016, 10:32 PM
There was no need to chase a second goal too hard today. Raith were never in a month of Sundays going to score, we had the little threat that they had going forward completely contained. If we opened ourselves up too much then that might have changed.

Stubbsy will recognise that in games where we don't have such a rock solid control that we might need to look at a second. As it is, three points well earned. Look at the negatives at a later date if you must but if you can't celebrate the positives before looking for lessons to be learned then you're missing out :flag:

Danderhall Hibs
02-01-2016, 10:34 PM
For all they hammer folk, they have played the same number of games as us this season and managed only 1 more win, against us. You get the same number of points for winning 1-0 as 6-0. All the stuff about only winning 1-0 makes it more likely we will drop points is thus far this season unfounded. Rangers have yet to shake off us or Falkirk, who don't hammer many teams, so I'm not really worried about what they do on form until such time as we start losing ground, rather than gaining it, on or off form.

I get that - I just think handing out a few doings helps create a fear factor which helps you. When teams come to your ground thinking they can cling on for a draw it makes it harder.

Falkirk having a better goal difference than us is poor IMO - it might not matter but it could.

greenlex
02-01-2016, 10:34 PM
You'll be telling us all next that the Man Utd fans are delighted with 3 points today using that analogy.

I'm not looking for an argument - but it was Raith Rovers we played today.
Bollocks. I'm saying there is no one unhappy we took three points today.

Libby Hibby
02-01-2016, 10:36 PM
There was no need to chase a second goal too hard today. Raith were never in a month of Sundays going to score, we had the little threat that they had going forward completely contained. If we opened ourselves up too much then that might have changed.

Stubbsy will recognise that in games where we don't have such a rock solid control that we might need to look at a second. As it is, three points well earned. Look at the negatives at a later date if you must but if you can't celebrate the positives before looking for lessons to be learned then you're missing out :flag:

I think Stubbsy was chasing a second...hence why he brought on Keatings and Anier opposed to Forster and McGregor

macca70
02-01-2016, 10:36 PM
Lack of goal threat from midfield, I'd like to see McGinn tried in Henderson's position at the top of the midfield diamond.

Thought mcgeogh was excellent today so hopefully having him back will give us the spark and creativity we seem to be lacking from midfield.

Northernhibee
02-01-2016, 10:37 PM
I think Stubbsy was chasing a second...hence why he brought on Keatings and Anier opposed to Forster and McGregor

Bartley looked tired after his first game back from injury and Keatings headed up the diamond, Anier was there to hold the ball up and replaced our top goalscorer.

You don't see out games by removing your midfield or attack.

hibee_nation
02-01-2016, 10:39 PM
Delighted we won but teams know how to nullify us now. We won today but not convinced we can do it every week. Teams look as a draw against us as a good result. We need to up our game.

cabbageandribs1875
02-01-2016, 10:45 PM
Yes

you're wasting your time trying to explain, lets leave it until later in the season when a healthy GD might be required to stop things going against us, you will get the same ones(well maybe) realising how important it was in all the previous games to get the goal count up, then it will be...'aww man, wish we had scored more goals now'......duh !!!

Sir David Gray
02-01-2016, 10:46 PM
Our home so far, compared with the same stage last season;

This season

P-10
W-8
D-2
L-0
F-18
A-6
PTS-26

Last season

P-10
W-4
D-5
L-1
F-16
A-9
PTS-17

More goals scored
Less goals conceded
More points gained

I'm happy with that! :aok:

truehibernian
02-01-2016, 10:48 PM
Delighted we won but teams know how to nullify us now. We won today but not convinced we can do it every week. Teams look as a draw against us as a good result. We need to up our game.

Only a couple of sides in 19 games - not bad 'nullifying' eh ? One of those games we played a half with 10 men and still looked the better side.

Still loads and loads of football to be played, injuries to occur, suspensions, etc.

For me the next 5 games are defining - win in both cups and we have a final to look forward to and a renewed vigour - we also have Falkirk away in that group of games. This will be a testing month for us, get through unscathed I can see us winning the league.

Sergey
02-01-2016, 10:49 PM
Bollocks. I'm saying there is no one unhappy we took three points today.

Put down the reefer and think before you post.

There are clearly folks who are unhappy - not with the fact that we took three points - it's how and the nature.

BTW - Maidstone beat Margate today in the Pub League - big crowd, too.

Pretty Boy
02-01-2016, 10:50 PM
you're wasting your time trying to explain, lets leave it until later in the season when a healthy GD might be required to stop things going against us, you will get the same ones(well maybe) realising how important it was in all the previous games to get the goal count up, then it will be...'aww man, wish we had scored more goals now'......duh !!!

I think most get it, a better GD would be nice.

But we are currently 24 goals worse off than Rangers, that ship has sailed, we are never making that up so winning 1-0 or winning 4-0 makes little difference as long as we win.

The_Exile
02-01-2016, 10:54 PM
This is the most difficult league to get out of, very good Premiership calibre teams have the same issues in the Championship down south too. It's all about winning games in this league regardless of the score and performance IMO.

greenlex
02-01-2016, 10:58 PM

There are clearly folks who are unhappy - not with the fact that we took three points - it's how and the nature.

Which is exactly what I'm arguing ya dafty. We're the Madstone fans happy?

truehibernian
02-01-2016, 11:14 PM
This is the most difficult league to get out of, very good Premiership calibre teams have the same issues in the Championship down south too. It's all about winning games in this league regardless of the score and performance IMO.

Good post, this league requires consistency and that's something Hibs haven't had a lot in a fair few seasons - this season we are in both cups and only 3 pts off the top.......way better than last season already, so consistency is there.

Hibs also played an Aberdeen side flying and a Dundee Utd side faltering - scored 5 conceded 0 !

The Rangers played St Johnstone at home and got beaten 3-1 but it should have been 6 !! And that's when they (The Rangers) were apparently 'flying'

Hibs are doing just fine and will continue to do so.

hibs0666
02-01-2016, 11:19 PM

But seeing as we've lost one game in 20, the they have nothing to whinge about. **** Maidstone. 😃

Borderhibbie76
02-01-2016, 11:45 PM
I get that - I just think handing out a few doings helps create a fear factor which helps you. When teams come to your ground thinking they can cling on for a draw it makes it harder.

Falkirk having a better goal difference than us is poor IMO - it might not matter but it could.
You really are glass half empty ah...ps we have a game in hand over Falkirk

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

McKenzie
03-01-2016, 12:02 AM
Were people not moaning last season about the number of goals conceded? All good teams are built from the back so I'm failing to see the problem in all these clean sheets. Going by all accounts there was no trouble for the ox today so what's the panic? Raith are supposedly one of the better teams in the league

neil7908
03-01-2016, 12:18 AM
I think we have some cracking individual players but we definitely need a bit more width in the team. Too often when we play teams with 11 men behind the ball we try and break them down through the middle but often struggle when the ball goes to the flanks. McGinn, McGeogh, Fyvie, Henderson, Bartley are all good players but when they are played as a 4 and get forced out wide they struggle. I'm hoping we sign a winger in January and then Stubbs has the difficult task of people picking who should drop out. That or its 4-3-3 from me with Boyle in.

matty_f
03-01-2016, 12:40 AM
You really are glass half empty ah...ps we have a game in hand over Falkirk

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
He's right, though.

It would be terrific to see us dish out a few hidings to teams who should be nowhere near us given the gulf in resources between the clubs.

I genuinely would take 1-0 wins every week, but that's not to say i wouldn't like to see 2,3, or 4 goals from Hibs more often.

I think even for the players' confidence, gubbing a team would be a big lift for them.

truehibernian
03-01-2016, 12:48 AM
He's right, though.

It would be terrific to see us dish out a few hidings to teams who should be nowhere near us given the gulf in resources between the clubs.

I genuinely would take 1-0 wins every week, but that's not to say i wouldn't like to see 2,3, or 4 goals from Hibs more often.

I think even for the players' confidence, gubbing a team would be a big lift for them.

Matty we have though ? We've dumped Aberdeen out the cup, battered Utd, beaten The Rangers, humped St Mirren......we aren't Barcelona we are Hibs, we are against sides that set up 6 or 7 at the back at times.

We are in a cup semi, in the SC, only 3 points off the top of the league - where were we this point last year ?

matty_f
03-01-2016, 12:55 AM
Matty we have though ? We've dumped Aberdeen out the cup, battered Utd, beaten The Rangers, humped St Mirren......we aren't Barcelona we are Hibs, we are against sides that set up 6 or 7 at the back at times.

We are in a cup semi, in the SC, only 3 points off the top of the league - where were we this point last year ?

Fair points :agree:

I don't want to take anything away from the team - we're winning and that's the most important thing.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
03-01-2016, 12:55 AM
Tempo. We should be dictating the pace of the majority of the games we play in this league.

matty_f
03-01-2016, 12:56 AM
Tempo. We should be dictating the pace of the majority of the games we play in this league.

We do. We're just quite ponderous at times.

truehibernian
03-01-2016, 12:58 AM

We do - check the stats all games this year including cup games.

Forza Fred
03-01-2016, 01:00 AM
Obviously I haven't seen any games, but sometimes being far removed from the emotion of it all can help.

While delighted to pick up three points, I would not be truthful if the 'just getting there'' manner shoreline wise, did not concern me for the future.

It reminds me of the habit some drivers have of ignoring the changing lights and travelling through instead of stopping.

99 out of a hundred times it might be ok, and reinforces the 'she'llbe right' factor, but if the behaviour is not corrected then there could be catastrophic consequences with the one time it DID matter.

We DO have a problem scoring goals..compared to Rangers.

I would rather this was addressed BEFORE we have cause to lament it.

Wishful thinking, has it's place, but surely after the Sevco game, when we score 1 at home and /Sevco hit 6 away from home in their next games,it is not too hard to work out who has bounced back the better?

Mikey09
03-01-2016, 01:08 AM
Would anyone be bothered if we won every game 1-0 till the end of the season?! Probably not...

HibbiesandtheBaddies
03-01-2016, 01:10 AM
We do. We're just quite ponderous at times.

That's the problem though isn't it. Before the break/postponed Morton game we were starting games a a much quicker pace and we looked much better for it.

Forza Fred
03-01-2016, 01:17 AM
Would anyone be bothered if we won every game 1-0 till the end of the season?! Probably not...

Problem is though Mikey, based on the balance of probabilities.....we probably won't.

truehibernian
03-01-2016, 01:26 AM
Problem is though Mikey, based on the balance of probabilities.....we probably won't.

The Rangers were apparently strolling to the title according to everyone and the media - are they ?

Speedy
03-01-2016, 01:35 AM
We had 10 men against Falkirk for over half the game, why is that never mentioned when using that game as an example? We were absolutely all over them before it.

It was a strange game. Looked like a game between 2 teams who hadn't played in a while. (Which of course, was the case)

Agree we were on top first half though

Forza Fred
03-01-2016, 01:48 AM
The Rangers were apparently strolling to the title according to everyone and the media - are they ?

Probably:greengrin

California-Hibs
03-01-2016, 02:26 AM

This season

P-10
W-8
D-2
L-0
F-18
A-6
PTS-26

Last season

P-10
W-4
D-5
L-1
F-16
A-9
PTS-17

More goals scored
Less goals conceded
More points gained

:top marks

Libby Hibby
03-01-2016, 02:43 AM

This season

P-10
W-8
D-2
L-0
F-18
A-6
PTS-26

Last season

P-10
W-4
D-5
L-1
F-16
A-9
PTS-17

More goals scored
Less goals conceded
More points gained

So am I trig but as I originally stated, it's the last 3 games that is causing me a bit of concern...1 goal in each of those games has made all of the games a bit tight naturally. As someone else has said winning 1-0 every week is good by me but it does increase the chances of the opposing team sneaking a point, a few 3-0's or 4-0's thrown in now and again against our league opposition wouldn't go a miss.

truehibernian
03-01-2016, 03:28 AM
Probably:greengrin

Personally I'm happy for the 'champs elect' who are 'forging ahead' by an 'unassailable' 3 points to sign injury prone failed wingers from Doncaster Rovers - especially when we are signing better next week !

Steve-O
03-01-2016, 04:27 AM

Falkirk have a better goal difference than us and Sevco are better off by almost 30 goals.

It needs improvement. League placing could come down to goal difference!

Forza Fred
03-01-2016, 04:31 AM
Falkirk have a better goal difference than us and Sevco are better off by almost 30 goals.

We hopefully will beat Falkirk's goal difference by end of season but have no hope of catching Sevco's.

Lucius Apuleius
03-01-2016, 07:04 AM

Apart from winning the league, it matters not a whit. If we are second or third we still have to play Falkirk in the playoffs. Personally I don't think there is a huge advantage where the game is played first. If we are not good enough to beat them over two legs then we won't deserve to be promoted. I understand the argument that there is a greater possibility of slip ups if we are only scoring one goal. However, there will be slip ups from us and the hun before the end of the season, no matter how many goals we score. As it happens I think we will have a better GD than Falkirk at the end of the season. If we win our game in hand by 1, we are two of a difference. If we beat them by one in a couple if weeks, we are even. Finishing top is the aim, we do that by winning. The number of goals we win by from here in is irrelevant.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-01-2016, 09:17 AM

That's not really the point though because who would not accept that? The question that you need to ask is that would we all be happy with only scoring one goal per game until the end of the season.

Phil MaGlass
03-01-2016, 09:19 AM
I'm not saying that winning one nil is a problem, far from it but I just think we need to start winning more convincingly at home as by the law of averages, some team is going to trip is up if we only keep scoring 1 goal at ER.

Also I genuinely think crowds will start to increase if we are scoring more goals...goes without saying really

I agree with you I think crowds would increase a tad if we were to be scoring more goals.

Forza Fred
03-01-2016, 09:26 AM
That's not really the point though because who would not accept that? The question that you need to ask is that would we all be happy with only scoring one goal per game until the end of the season.

Yep, it's all about establishing a cushion, a margin for error at the back.

Defensive, refereeing mistakes DO happen, and if we only score 1 goal every game, then again the balance of probabilities are that we will drop points a number of times.

More than one goal provides a cushion.

O'Rourke3
03-01-2016, 10:20 AM
I feel a Godwin's Law moment coming on.

We've travelled full circle this at lease twice on this thread and repeating the same points. Winning every game 1-0 is fine. Not scoring more is disappointing. Probability makes it likely we'd slip up.

For me, we are creating a lot of chances, we are generally out playing the opposition. Even at 1-0 we don't look as though we are leaking anything at the back. Maybe we've already had our slip up in the Falkirk game?

The referee was a Nazi.....

Since90+2
03-01-2016, 10:55 AM
Given how close this league is its not inconceivable that the first 3 places could be settled by goal difference.

I would say Rangers are out of sight in that regard so is effectively worth a point to them , Falkirk are similar to ourselves so the people saying it doesnt matter if you win 1-0 or 10-0 may be proven wrong.

Danderhall Hibs
03-01-2016, 11:04 AM
Apart from winning the league, it matters not a whit. If we are second or third we still have to play Falkirk in the playoffs. Personally I don't think there is a huge advantage where the game is played first. If we are not good enough to beat them over two legs then we won't deserve to be promoted. I understand the argument that there is a greater possibility of slip ups if we are only scoring one goal. However, there will be slip ups from us and the hun before the end of the season, no matter how many goals we score. As it happens I think we will have a better GD than Falkirk at the end of the season. If we win our game in hand by 1, we are two of a difference. If we beat them by one in a couple if weeks, we are even. Finishing top is the aim, we do that by winning. The number of goals we win by from here in is irrelevant.

If we finish 3rd we'd have to play 2 matches against someone else before we get a crack at Falkirk.

Danderhall Hibs
03-01-2016, 11:06 AM

This season

P-10
W-8
D-2
L-0
F-18
A-6
PTS-26

Last season

P-10
W-4
D-5
L-1
F-16
A-9
PTS-17

More goals scored
Less goals conceded
More points gained

Only 2 more goals scored than last season even though we're flung compared to then?

Pretty Boy
03-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Only 2 more goals scored than last season even though we're flung compared to then?

Double the wins, less than half the draws, no defeats, 9 points more and 3 less goals conceded.

Our lack of goals doesn't seem to be costing us too much so far.

Libby Hibby
03-01-2016, 11:18 AM
Double the wins, less than half the draws, no defeats, 9 points more and 3 less goals conceded.

You're correct PB but more goals scored would certainly make things at lot less tense coming into the last 10 mins or so in my opinion but delighted for the 3 points yesterday and that this team seem able to see games out better than previous sides.

bingo70
03-01-2016, 11:20 AM

If the league finished now though we wouldn't be where we want to be so id disagree.

How we compare to last year is neither here nor there imo, what matters is how we compare to Rangers and Falkirk this year, to date I'd say we're hanging in there and doing well but if we've got genuine ideas of winning this league we need to find a way of scoring more goals imo.

I think if you were to take a step back and pretend it wasn't hibs in the equation and it was say the top of the premiership you'd agree that the team scoring more goals and thumping teams more often are more likely to win it against a team that scrapes narrow wins.

Pretty Boy
03-01-2016, 11:21 AM
You're correct PB but more goals scored would certainly make things at lot less tense coming into the last 10 mins or so in my opinion but delighted for the 3 points yesterday and that this team seem able to see games out better than previous sides.

I've said a million times I'd like to see more goals.

But all the stuff about lack of goals costing us is totally unfounded this season. We have lost 1 game in the last 18, ironically in a game in which we scored 2 goals. All the law of averages stuff has no basis as the 'law of averages' is a nonsense concept.

Danderhall Hibs
03-01-2016, 11:24 AM
I've said a million times I'd like to see more goals.

But all the stuff about lack of goals costing us is totally unfounded this season. We have lost 1 game in the last 18, itonically in a game in which we scored 2 goals. All the law of averages stuff has no basis as the 'law of averages' is a nonsense concept.

It's not costing us (excluding the st Mirren draw) but it could cost us.

Pretty Boy
03-01-2016, 11:24 AM
If the league finished now though we wouldn't be where we want to be so id disagree.

How we compare to last year is neither here nor there imo, what matters is how we compare to Rangers and Falkirk this year, to date I'd say we're hanging in there and doing well but if we've got genuine ideas of winning this league we need to find a way of scoring more goals imo.

I think if you were to take a step back and pretend it wasn't hibs in the equation and it was say the top of the premiership you'd agree that the team scoring more goals and thumping teams more often are more likely to win it against a team that scrapes narrow wins.

The league doesn't end now though so it's an irrelevant argument. If the EPL ended at Christmas Leicester would be champions but it didn't and neither does our league, there's half a season to go.

If we can get close to matching the form of our last 18 games in our next run of fixtures we'll be in a fantastic position regardless of how many goals we score in each game.

Pretty Boy
03-01-2016, 11:28 AM
It's not costing us (excluding the st Mirren draw) but it could cost us.

Jason Cummings getting injured in training could cost us, a day with horrendous weather could prove a leveller and cost us, we could score 2 goals and lose 4 poor ones to cost us.

It's all ifs, buts and maybes. As it is we are winning games by 1 goal and doing what we need to do.

Danderhall Hibs
03-01-2016, 11:31 AM
Jason Cummings getting injured in training could cost us, a day with horrendous weather could prove a leveller and cost us, we could score 2 goals and lose 4 poor ones to cost us.

It's all ifs, buts and maybes. As it is we are winning games by 1 goal and doing what we need to do.

I know but goal difference has to be considered before it's too late.

As it stands if we win 1-0 every week we're not guaranteed to win the league.

Pretty Boy
03-01-2016, 11:36 AM
I know but goal difference has to be considered before it's too late.

As it stands if we win 1-0 every week we're not guaranteed to win the league.

The goal difference ship has sailed. We need to find 24 goals with Rangers in 17 remaining games. If we are going to win the league it will be by gaining more points and nothing else.

That's been my point all through the thread, we need to better the points Rangers gain between now and the end of the season and we'll do that by winning games by whatever score. If we can score more goals then great, it will ease a bit tension and maybe breed a bit more confidence in a squad already brimming with it, if we continue winning by 1 goal every week then we're unlikely to be in any worse a position come seasons end than if we win by 2 goals or more every week.

As it stands if we win 5-0 every week we aren't guaranteed to win the league.

greenlex
03-01-2016, 11:38 AM
The goal difference ship has sailed. We need to find 24 goals with Rangers in 17 remaining games. If we are going to win the league it will be by gaining more points and nothing else.

That's been my point all through the thread, we need to better the points Rangers gain between now and the end of the season and we'll do that by winning games by whatever score. If we can score more goals then great, it will ease a bit tension and maybe breed a bit more confidence in a squad already brimming with it, if we continue winning by 1 goal every week then we're unlikely to be in any worse a position come seasons end than if we win by 2 goals or more every week.
:agree: No unlikely about it.

Danderhall Hibs
03-01-2016, 11:42 AM

Presumably you're just dismissing Falkirk?

And I'd love to see us win 5-0 even once never mind every week. I reckon that'd be enough to turn the goal difference over as well.

Pretty Boy
03-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Presumably you're just dismissing Falkirk?

And I'd love to see us win 5-0 even once never mind every week. I reckon that'd be enough to turn the goal difference over as well.

If over the course of the season ourselves and Rangers don't end up with more points that Falkirk I'd be stunned and raging.

Anyway I'm out because this could continue going in circles forever.

Danderhall Hibs
03-01-2016, 11:48 AM
If over the course of the season ourselves and Rangers don't end up with more points that Falkirk I'd be stunned and raging.

It already has!

You're right though it's one of those things we should debate when it matters and we can't do anything about it...

Lago
03-01-2016, 12:01 PM

And to gain more points we are dependent on other teams taking points off rangers and not off us.

BoomtownHibees
03-01-2016, 12:10 PM
Can't believe how negative Stubbs is being by saying he would have liked another goal

Ringothedog
03-01-2016, 01:00 PM

Dunfermline beat cowdenbeath in front of more than double the Maidstone crowd and the populations of the Scottish clubs is a third of the English clubs. Pub leagues indeed.

My_Wife_Camille
03-01-2016, 01:11 PM
Can't believe how negative Stubbs is being by saying he would have liked another goal
Exactly, we just get 3 points against a tough side and some people just can't wait to find an excuse to knock the team and get the knives out.

greenlex
03-01-2016, 01:24 PM
Exactly, we just get 3 points against a tough side and some people just can't wait to find an excuse to knock the team and get the knives out.

Right. Last post on this thread. There is very few if any got theknives out. Fans are not unhappy about winning yesterday. Folk are just pointing out that the lack of goals( particularly at home) will cost us points going forward. It's cost us against Falkirk and St Mirren already at home and neatly cost us against QoS. These are facts. IMO a wee bit more urgency when in possession will increase the chances rested and by definition goals scored. Fansare not unhappy but are concerned.

Northernhibee
03-01-2016, 01:30 PM
Right. Last post on this thread. There is very few if any got theknives out. Fans are not unhappy about winning yesterday. Folk are just pointing out that the lack of goals( particularly at home) will cost us points going forward. It's cost us against Falkirk and St Mirren already at home and neatly cost us against QoS. These are facts. IMO a wee bit more urgency when in possession will increase the chances rested and by definition goals scored. Fansare not unhappy but are concerned.

Two games in half a season to pick from suggests it's not newly as much of an issue as you're suggesting.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-01-2016, 01:34 PM

That's the point exactly. However that opinion doesn't fit in with the only two categories allowed just now of either happy clapper or doom and gloomer.

greenlex
03-01-2016, 01:40 PM
Two games in half a season to pick from suggests it's not newly as much of an issue as you're suggesting.

There's plenty to pick from as we rarely win by more than the odd goal but I just picked those as they were fairly recent. I think after having reeled Rangers in its more tangible just his much damage a couple of lost points here and there an do. Defo last post on this thread. 😄

Sir David Gray
03-01-2016, 01:41 PM

:agree: Falkirk will finish 3rd and I think it will be by around 10 points in the end. I honestly don't see them coming close to winning the league by the time we get to April or May.

I fancy us to make a statement in a couple of weeks by beating them at the Falkirk Stadium.

I still fancy us to beat Sevco to the title as well.

My_Wife_Camille
03-01-2016, 01:54 PM
greenlex, try reading my other posts on this thread pal and then check who it was I was accusing of having the knives out :wink:

Calidad
03-01-2016, 01:57 PM
I personally think McGinn suffers outwide. He's probably our most talented player, but he's not involved from that wide left position. Am I the only one who thinks he should play more central? He'd chip in with a few more goals if he did in my opinion.

Henderson suffers from the same problems on the opposite flank. Neither are wingers.

Squealing pig
03-01-2016, 01:59 PM
Dagnall will hit double figures

NAE NOOKIE
03-01-2016, 03:30 PM
I don't think for a second we will claw back the Sevco goal difference, but we can make a dent in Falkirk's with a better strike rate.

My worry, like most folk, is that a one goal lead in any game leaves us open to dropping points to a daft mistake at the back. By failing to go more than a goal up in games we are piling huge pressure on our defenders .... lets face it, if the worse happens its the poor sods at the back there will be threads moaning about, not the forwards.

Somebody mentioned Dagnall ... It will be interesting to see what he can do, I notice his Indian club average nearly 50,000 at home.

Lucius Apuleius
03-01-2016, 03:39 PM
If we finish 3rd we'd have to play 2 matches against someone else before we get a crack at Falkirk.

You are right of course. However I still reckon we will finish above Falkirk and stick by the rest of my post. 😊

rcarter1
03-01-2016, 04:30 PM
I don't think for a second we will claw back the Sevco goal difference, but we can make a dent in Falkirk's with a better strike rate.

My worry, like most folk, is that a one goal lead in any game leaves us open to dropping points to a daft mistake at the back. By failing to go more than a goal up in games we are piling huge pressure on our defenders .... lets face it, if the worse happens its the poor sods at the back there will be threads moaning about, not the forwards.

Somebody mentioned Dagnall ... It will be interesting to see what he can do, I notice his Indian club average nearly 50,000 at home.

Agree, the goal scoring rate is leaving us vulnerable in games.

The bold bit is so true, and at times, unfair. I often blame midfielders/midfield and even the strikers to some extent for a poorly conceded goal. Defenders can't do much if left exposed or out numbered, or if someone sticks one in the top corner from 30 yards.