Row H
31-12-2015, 10:16 PM
Cringe.

Hiber-nation
31-12-2015, 10:25 PM
Worst ever if that's possible.

Fife-Hibee
31-12-2015, 10:27 PM
About as funny as a fart in a space suit !

Treadstone
31-12-2015, 10:28 PM
Eleven writers!

Billychaotic182
31-12-2015, 10:30 PM
It's not even about Scottish football anymore a few Rangers and Celtic jokes and the very dated Fankie Mcavennie jokes. Really poor

Squealing pig
31-12-2015, 10:30 PM
Thought it was best in years

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-12-2015, 10:34 PM
They should've chucked it years ago like I did. I was just waiting patiently for this thread without going through the pain of watching it.

Sir David Gray
31-12-2015, 10:40 PM
I caught a couple of minutes of it and that was more than enough.

Utter pish.

Colr
31-12-2015, 10:44 PM
Parochial pish.

Stuarty27
31-12-2015, 10:48 PM
Parochial pish.

I thot it was quite good this year

Golden Bear
31-12-2015, 10:49 PM
Could have read this thread last year or for that matter a good few years ago. Nothing changes, still the same degree of direness. Cheers, let's have another one.

ionahibby
31-12-2015, 10:50 PM
Bar a couple of sketches the usual pish! No mention of any other team except the bigot bros!

AFKA5814_Hibs
31-12-2015, 10:50 PM
Watched it live for the first time in years. Really so poor. Is there any need whatsoever to still have Frank McAvennnie, he hasn't been relevant since the mid 90s. Gie it up Mr Watson yer times up.

Colr
31-12-2015, 10:51 PM
I thot it was quite good this year

Michtie me!!

Golden Bear
31-12-2015, 10:59 PM
Michtie me!!

It obviously never featured Liam Craig who was always a favourite of Stuarty!

HibbyAndy
31-12-2015, 11:15 PM
It's not even about Scottish football anymore a few Rangers and Celtic jokes and the very dated Fankie Mcavennie jokes. Really poor

:agree:
The worst ever by far

poolman
31-12-2015, 11:24 PM
Absolute mince, give it up 😴

ALF TUPPER
31-12-2015, 11:34 PM
I thought it was better this year than its been for a long time.

Scouse Hibee
31-12-2015, 11:59 PM
Best one for a long time in my opinion.

Hibby D
01-01-2016, 12:31 AM
I enjoyed it too. Best for a while!

SkintHibby
01-01-2016, 12:44 AM
Lol. BBC Scotland is tragic at new year. Switched off OAE within a minute. Still Game repeat and Carol Kirkwood dragged up from London to present from Edinburgh.

I despise the BBC and its utter contempt for Scotland.

Glad I don't pay for that nonsense.

Those of you that put up with pish like this are easily pleased.

Jim44
01-01-2016, 12:47 AM
I haven't watched it for years as it is absolute crap. It's frightening, considering we pay their wages, that they feel the annual need to patronise the nation with tenth rate comedy 'entertainment'.

Thecat23
01-01-2016, 08:12 AM
Stopped watching it ages ago now. Jonathan Watson isn't a comedian or an impressionist. Folk should stop moaning and instead stop watching it and maybe we will get something better at NY.

Pretty Boy
01-01-2016, 08:12 AM
'Where's ra burds?'

'Mibbes aye, mibbes naw'

'Vewy pwoud of my pwayers'

*Cliched Rangers joke here*

*Cliched Celtic joke to avoid claims of bias here*

**Repeat for 15 minutes**

*Nonsensical politcal joke here*

'Mumble, mumble, mumble' - Dennis Law

'Haw haw haw' - Chick Young

*Final Rangers and Celtic jokes*

'Where's ra burds' again to finish.

Didn't watch it last night and I doubt I'm far off. About 15 years past it's sell by date.

Carheenlea
01-01-2016, 08:36 AM
'Where's ra burds?'

'Mibbes aye, mibbes naw'

No need to spoil it for those of us who have yet to see and enjoy the annual belly laughs before the bells. :grr:

Del Boy
01-01-2016, 08:47 AM
Worse than I even thought it could be

Utter utter *****

bookert
01-01-2016, 08:52 AM
Worse than I even thought it could be

Utter utter *****

First time I had watched it for years and was expecting the worst. Instead I thought it was decent, less emphasis on football. His take off of "Stonemouth" was spot on, " I've been away" "but now I'm back". Pleasantly surprised.

SouthMoroccoStu
01-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Any Hibs mentions?

greenpaper55
01-01-2016, 09:34 AM
Lol. BBC Scotland is tragic at new year. Switched off OAE within a minute. Still Game repeat and Carol Kirkwood dragged up from London to present from Edinburgh.

Aye like Nicola selfie's favourite programme-River City ! i kid you not. Just imagine the tripe we would get if we had a SBC run by her and Salmond ?.

jdships
01-01-2016, 09:43 AM
I caught a couple of minutes of it and that was more than enough.

Utter pish.

That was me also
Absolutely dire
Same went for Elaine C Smiths " Burds" - purile

MSK
01-01-2016, 09:48 AM
That was me also
Absolutely dire
Same went for Elaine C Smiths " Burds" - purileElaine C Smith, toothache is funnier than her 😁

easty
01-01-2016, 09:50 AM
We get the same thread every year, yet people keep watching it the next again year! Like getting food poisoning at the same restaurant every new year, but still going back the next year, then being surprised its happened again.

Carheenlea
01-01-2016, 10:08 AM
As is often the case, the "Only an Excuse?" televised show never reached the quality of the original radio broadcast in the late 80's that parodied the great Scottish Football documentary series from that time "Only a Game?" Watson's take on the narrator of that documentary William Mcllvanney was probably his best. The radio show became a bit of a cult classic, and the first televised versions while funny, didn't have the same impact of the original.

heretoday
01-01-2016, 10:41 AM
Elaine C Smith, toothache is funnier than her 

Her finest hour was as Mary Doll. Nothing much since then. Lots of actors have only one big part to remember in their careers. Lots of writers do one great book also. The rest is disappointment.

Alfred E Newman
01-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Any Hibs mentions?

Don't be silly.

s.a.m
01-01-2016, 11:12 AM
As is often the case, the "Only an Excuse?" televised show never reached the quality of the original radio broadcast in the late 80's that parodied the great Scottish Football documentary series from that time "Only a Game?" Watson's take on the narrator of that documentary William Mcllvanney was probably his best. The radio show became a bit of a cult classic, and the first televised versions while funny, didn't have the same impact of the original.

:agree: We used to have a recording of the radio version, and it was clever and very funny, and provided some much needed satire on the Scottish game. The early TV shows were better the current ones (though not anywhere good as the radio show), and I suppose it's become a bit of a victim of it's position as a Hogmanay family 'entertainment' fixture. My mum, who knows nowt about football, and has even less interest, looks forward to it.

marinello59
01-01-2016, 12:02 PM
I watched Dumb and Dumber To this morning. Only an Excuse doesn't seem quite as bad now. :greengrin

SteveHFC
01-01-2016, 12:12 PM
Is this worth watching?

Lago
01-01-2016, 12:16 PM
The whole New Year thing on TV is a joke, Jackie Bird and the Bay City Rollers or Elaine C. Smith with wee Nicola Sturgeon and her mum, heavens above a parody of Scotland if ever there was.

SausageSurprise
01-01-2016, 12:17 PM
The whole New Year thing on TV is a joke, Jackie Bird and the Bay City Rollers or Elaine C. Smith with wee Nicola Sturgeon and her mum, heavens above a parody of Scotland if ever there was.

Ever since the referendum we have become a parody of ourselves

doddsy
01-01-2016, 12:19 PM

Still Game repeat was shocking. Had homophobic and sexist lines and with a dead dog scene which was horrendous. I used to enjoy that show until last night. In addition why on earth does the Beeb think the dull as ditchwater Jackie Bird and Carol Kirkwood should present the spectacle of Hogmany as they have zero personality in my opinion and are middle class autocue readers. We need a Sex Pistols Jonny Rotten revolution methinks. Stereo typical nonsense from the Beeb again unfortunately, bet the media can't wait for the sectarian shame to raise it's ugly head again of a Celtic Rangers game which will be the cream on the cake for them.

Lago
01-01-2016, 12:25 PM

Sadly, I can't but agree with you.

SteveHFC
01-01-2016, 12:32 PM
Sadly, I can't but agree with you.
:agree:

bod
01-01-2016, 12:33 PM
'Where's ra burds?'

'Mibbes aye, mibbes naw'

Didn't watch it last night and I doubt I'm far off. About 15 years past it's sell by date.

quite far off actually

marinello59
01-01-2016, 12:34 PM

This type of programming has been the New Year norm for decades. The referendum has nothing to do with it.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-01-2016, 12:41 PM

Just since the referendum?

James70
01-01-2016, 01:08 PM
Aye like Nicola selfie's favourite programme-River City ! i kid you not. Just imagine the tripe we would get if we had a SBC run by her and Salmond ?.

Folk who think Eastenders is depressing viewing should try watching this rubbish.

Speedy
01-01-2016, 01:29 PM
Best in a while.

A lot of ***** in it but also a few really good sketches.

lord bunberry
01-01-2016, 01:30 PM

Lighten up

Spike Mandela
01-01-2016, 01:35 PM
Not the worst I've ever seen. Think he's got better writers in.

Betty Boop
01-01-2016, 01:37 PM
https://twitter.com/iainrfc17/status/682715857966002181

Squealing pig
01-01-2016, 01:38 PM
Think Warburton was a peach . rest ofit was well above the usual standard .

grunt
01-01-2016, 02:21 PM
The budget in Scotland for comedy at the BBC just isn't there any more Mrs Browns Boys is filmed in Glasgow and takes up a huge chunk of the Budget ...I hadn't realised that Mrs Brown's Boys was classed as comedy.

hhibs
01-01-2016, 02:30 PM

You really do make up a lot of sh don't you.

Baader
01-01-2016, 04:02 PM
Flogging a dead horse springs to mind. Not had the misfortune of seeing it yet. Is he still trotting out the likes of McAvennie and others who are long in the past... The occasional laugh about Rangers bigotry.. Could just watch last year's one to see what missed I suppose.

Ronniekirk
01-01-2016, 04:02 PM
I hadn't realised that Mrs Brown's Boys was classed as comedy.

Sadly it is smiley

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
01-01-2016, 04:06 PM
Utter pish. Rangers, Celtic and man Utd......... :rolleyes:

SausageSurprise
01-01-2016, 04:09 PM
I also posted this in the sectarian thread

Eradicating sectarianism and bigotry isn't being helped by our state broadcaster making light of the subject on Only an Excuse, a program which is most associated with Scottish football or to be precise Rangers, Celtic and Sevco

Baldy Foghorn
01-01-2016, 04:11 PM
Utter pish. Rangers, Celtic and man Utd......... :rolleyes:

Add in Salmond and Mone, and you had the full guff for half an hour, how Watson gets to commission this rubbish is beyond me

Hermit Crab
01-01-2016, 04:13 PM
Add in Salmond and Mone, and you had the full guff for half an hour, how Watson gets to commission this rubbish is beyond me

:agree: Dire stuff.

Colr
01-01-2016, 04:16 PM

I flicked over to BBC Scotland for a while. It was dire. Embarrassing, even.

Alfred E Newman
01-01-2016, 05:22 PM
I flicked over to BBC Scotland for a while. It was dire. Embarrassing, even.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the spoof police clips between the programs . If this tripe is the best BBC Scotland can do they really should throw in the towel.

kaimendhibs
01-01-2016, 05:50 PM
I am surprised nobody has mentioned the spoof police clips between the programs . If this tripe is the best BBC Scotland can do they really should throw in the towel.
If you mean Scots Squad, I can't bear to look at it. It's utter rubbish

Pretty Boy
01-01-2016, 06:00 PM
If you mean Scots Squad, I can't bear to look at it. It's utter rubbish

Is that the show with Grado the wrestler in it?

If so it's woeful

kaimendhibs
01-01-2016, 06:12 PM

If so it's woeful

Not sure about the wrestler, had to switch off and Cannae watch it now

Ronniekirk
01-01-2016, 06:15 PM

If so it's woeful

Yep that's the one P B

Baldy Foghorn
01-01-2016, 06:23 PM

If so it's woeful

After event's of Monday the spoof show ain't that far from the truth..........

Clarence
01-01-2016, 06:48 PM
First time I've stayed in and watched tv on Hogmanay for about 20 years. It's clear they keep TV terrible to get people to go out and spend money. Bay City Rollers were like darts players doing kareoke, perving on spray painted Jackie bird.

McD
01-01-2016, 08:08 PM
Watched it this evening after recording it (haven't watched it live for several years), and it was awful. There's usually one or two sketches that get me laughing, not a single one this time.

a long time ago, this used to be must watch for my mates and I, in the days of Gerry Mcnee, Jim White (pre sky), the targets were much broader, you'd see Darren Jackson, Steve Fulton, etc getting the piss taken . There was no/little McAvennie, less political/any-Scottish-person-on-BBC stuff, and in general some much funnier content. This was when tony roper was still involved.

These days there's a few obligatory fergie skits, a few Alec salmond/Scottish Parliament stints, and mostly Rangers/Celtic dirges.

Time to be retired.

Hermit Crab
01-01-2016, 08:25 PM
I don't think chick young featured last night either.

Colr
01-01-2016, 08:28 PM
First time I've stayed in and watched tv on Hogmanay for about 20 years. It's clear they keep TV terrible to get people to go out and spend money. Bay City Rollers were like darts players doing kareoke, perving on spray painted Jackie bird.

Did BBC Scotland manage to get the words of Auld Lang Syne correct. BBC London didn't.

marinello59
01-01-2016, 09:06 PM
Did BBC Scotland manage to get the words of Auld Lang Syne correct. BBC London didn't.

Most Scots can't.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-01-2016, 09:12 PM
I don't think chick young featured last night either.

That's the one highlight.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-01-2016, 11:44 AM

Funny you mention The Rollers, I thought they were wearing darts players t-shirts when I saw them.

Betty Boop
02-01-2016, 11:50 AM
No weekend Sportsound due to 'rights' reasons ? What a joke ! :confused:

Mikey09
02-01-2016, 12:18 PM
'Where's ra burds?'

'Mibbes aye, mibbes naw'

Thats actually funnier than the show... Not watched it for few years as it's no even remotely funny.

grunt
02-01-2016, 12:40 PM
No weekend Sportsound due to 'rights' reasons ? What a joke ! :confused:It's a problem with their DAB system; I think that's just the default message you're hearing.

Sammy7nil
02-01-2016, 01:30 PM

We had a referendum? I Can't believe I missed that :confused:

Betty Boop
02-01-2016, 01:31 PM
It's a problem with their DAB system; I think that's just the default message you're hearing.

SteveHFC
02-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Watched it this morning. Laughed at the Allan and Kingsley sketches.

02-01-2016, 05:09 PM
'Where's ra burds?'

'Mibbes aye, mibbes naw'

Pretty much aye.

.Sean.
03-01-2016, 11:16 AM

If so it's woeful
Grado the wrestler is toe-curling stuff.

The whole over-Scottishness of the whole BBC Hogmanay show is cringeworthy. Buys into every stereotype possible, it's a national embarrassment.

Pretty Boy
03-01-2016, 02:54 PM
Just watched on Youtube, it really was woeful and the impressions are horrendously bad.

Who was the ginger guy with tattoos in the Celtic top supposed to be? Griffiths? Forrest?

Danderhall Hibs
03-01-2016, 03:02 PM
Just watched on Youtube, it really was woeful and the impressions are horrendously bad.

Who was the ginger guy with tattoos in the Celtic top supposed to be? Griffiths? Forrest?

No idea - I assumed because he had tattoos it was a player but not a clue who it was. He used to do a piss take of a Celtic fan so it could be him?

Not ideal if folk don't know who the impressions are supposed to be though!

Doncaster_Hibby
03-01-2016, 05:48 PM
I enjoyed it this year, as I always do. It's maybe not quite as hilarious as it used to be but it's traditional. New Year's Eve wouldn't be the same without it.

Alfred E Newman
03-01-2016, 07:04 PM
I enjoyed it this year, as I always do. It's maybe not quite as hilarious as it used to be but it's traditional. New Year's Eve wouldn't be the same without it.

It certainly is becoming a tradition right enough.

Boyle89
03-01-2016, 08:58 PM

I think that's the problem. I think cause it's on every year we have just become used to it. There is a time for everything to come to an end and OAEs time probably came and went a few years ago. I used to love it but now it's gotten stale. He has a whole years worth of material to use yet he trots out the same characters years on end. How many times can you laugh at the same sketch? Sir Alex and mcavennie aren't funny anymore.

monktonharp
03-01-2016, 09:30 PM
I think that's the problem. I think cause it's on every year we have just become used to it. There is a time for everything to come to an end and OAEs time probably came and went a few years ago. I used to love it but now it's gotten stale. He has a whole years worth of material to use yet he trots out the same characters years on end. How many times can you laugh at the same sketch? Sir Alex and mcavennie aren't funny anymore.I do agree with you on that, However, I cant believe some of the stuff on here about Elaine c Smith and her sketch(s) merely pointing out what happened at your/and my house a few years ago with the daft uncle, the drunk auntie and the friendly neighbour wi a lump o' coal knockin' at the door after 12.did it not happen? were they in some sort of timewarp? were there not some/quite a lot of people that were sitting alone in Scotland this year (or last year) alone? was the programme(s) not about induceing memories of times gone by? did anyone on here, not actually see an uncle/faither/mother/auntie/daftsister that acted like that after a few drinks come the new year? I despair.the living room they sat in, was virtually what you sat in, before you got chased to bed, wi' a bit of cherry cake or black bun in yer hand . get a grip

monktonharp
03-01-2016, 09:59 PM
It certainly is becoming a tradition right enough.ok Mr Bogie, please tell us your best scenario Hogmanay. don't get political just invisage yourself, sitting in the living room alone, waiting for the bells. the door knocks, and your neighbour says..........

Ronniekirk
03-01-2016, 10:11 PM
I do agree with you on that, However, I cant believe some of the stuff on here about Elaine c Smith and her sketch(s) merely pointing out what happened at your/and my house a few years ago with the daft uncle, the drunk auntie and the friendly neighbour wi a lump o' coal knockin' at the door after 12.did it not happen? were they in some sort of timewarp? were there not some/quite a lot of people that were sitting alone in Scotland this year (or last year) alone? was the programme(s) not about induceing memories of times gone by? did anyone on here, not actually see an uncle/faither/mother/auntie/daftsister that acted like that after a few drinks come the new year? I despair.the living room they sat in, was virtually what you sat in, before you got chased to bed, wi' a bit of cherry cake or black bun in yer hand . get a grip

Folk of our age can relate to that but not the younger generation .i like a bit of nostalgia now and then ,but agree that the Mcavennie sketches have had thier day so obviousv what's coming next

KWJ
04-01-2016, 04:22 AM
As someone living overseas I still enjoy watching it, sure it's moved away from the football a bit but that's most likely down to it having a broader audience these days.

Don't understand why they broadcast from Glasgow and don't do more from Edinburgh where we get Hogmanay bang on.

Negativity on this thread is the most tiring dirge.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-01-2016, 08:36 AM
Negativity on this thread is the most tiring dirge.

The show is further out of date than the tin of sardines my old dear has had in the kitchen cupboard for about the last 10 years.

WeeRussell
04-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Thought it was best in years

It was - and was still brutal!

I too, didn't get the Celtic player one - guessing Griffiths cos of the Tattoos!

Used to be brilliant as well - I just don't think he bothers too much with putting any effort in anymore.

For example - it wouldn't have been hard to do Stubbs as a new one.

The last time I really enjoyed Watson was when he used to do a quickfire few minutes on Offside on a Monday night! 8/9 years ago maybe?

Danderhall Hibs
04-01-2016, 04:50 PM
Pretty boy said he saw it on Youtube. Might be on the iPlayer as well?

Carheenlea
04-01-2016, 07:08 PM
It was - and was still brutal!

I too, didn't get the Celtic player one - guessing Griffiths cos of the Tattoos!

Used to be brilliant as well - I just don't think he bothers too much with putting any effort in anymore.

For example - it wouldn't have been hard to do Stubbs as a new one.

The last time I really enjoyed Watson was when he used to do a quickfire few minutes on Offside on a Monday night! 8/

"Offside" was a painful watch - I find Tam Cowan to be quick witted and entertaining without a script in his hand, but anything pre written like "Offside" or his penned articles just don't work for me.
Maybe Scottish Football and television comedy just doesn't work full stop.

Dashing Bob S
04-01-2016, 10:39 PM
Been pish for the best part of two decades. Genuinely didn't know it was still on.

WeeRussell
05-01-2016, 11:29 AM
Pretty boy said he saw it on Youtube. Might be on the iPlayer as well?

:agree: I watched it on Iplayer end of last week.

dangermouse
06-01-2016, 04:21 PM
Time to retire this dinosaur of a programme when you don't recognise most of the characters. Glad I went to the concert in the Gardens, should have shown that instead. Mon the biff!

JT Fae The Toon
06-01-2016, 10:56 PM
ok Mr Bogie, please tell us your best scenario Hogmanay. don't get political just invisage yourself, sitting in the living room alone, waiting for the bells. the door knocks, and your neighbour says..........

........ "wherze ra burds ?"

Sylar
07-01-2016, 10:33 PM
The only highlight of the Hogmanay festivities worth watching is coming to iPlayer tomorrow - Biffy's full live set from the Gardens :thumbsup:

Only an Excuse needs burned and buried.

WeeRussell
08-01-2016, 11:34 AM
The only highlight of the Hogmanay festivities worth watching is coming to iPlayer tomorrow - Biffy's full live set from the Gardens :thumbsup:

Only an Excuse needs burned and buried.

Fully aware I'll be in a large minority here.. but I'd rather watch a pish only an excuse than that!

Poor man's foo fighters... awful :na na: