PDA

View Full Version : Need for holding midfielder - Marvin Bartley

Kaiserclem
29-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Last season there were certain games where we were crying out for a solid, hard, strong holding midfielder that will let the more skilful players do their stuff. So, we sign Marvin Bartley and he does this job well whenever he has played. Not a flair 'footballer' but strong and does his job superb.

Why then do we not play him in a game where we all know beforehand this role is a MUST in a game at castle greyskull? Fyvie is better playing football but is not a holding midfielder.

Not giving Stubbs a hard time, as I think he is doing superbly, but sometimes big decisions have to be made and players won't be happy at being left out but if it is for the good of the team then they have to take it on the chin. I sometimes just worry that Stubbs doesn't want to upset certain players more than others at the risk of them wanting moves. We got outta jail at ER last time we played them as Wallace in particular was destroying us out wide left in the second half, but again we let him as we gave them so much space out wide that game and didn't once attempt to counteract this.

Stubbs has been a breath of fresh air and to get us within 3 points for the new year and a semi final again is amazing!

Keen to hear everyone's thoughts on Bartley non-appearance though. Injured??

Dalianwanda
29-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Fair point I think he would have been perfect for yesterday. As far as Im aware he has a back injury and won't be available till after the year..

Kaiserclem
29-12-2015, 12:34 PM
ah right, cheers for that. If that's the case then a fair reason I suppose lol No offence to others in our squad but he would have toughened us up in the middle.

Smartie
29-12-2015, 01:01 PM
i've been surprised (and a wee bit disappointed tbh) that we haven't used Bartley more, he's looked the part when he's played.

It's always easy with hindsight to say Fyvie should have been dropped but it is hard to make a strong case for dropping any of the midfielders.

Kaiserclem
29-12-2015, 01:03 PM
I have been disappointed also as he does his job well and allows others to play. I do feel Fyvie is better in a more advanced position also.

J-C
29-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Fair point I think he would have been perfect for yesterday. As far as Im aware he has a back injury and won't be available till after the year..

He was on the bench yesterday

Golden Bear
29-12-2015, 01:09 PM

He was on the bench yesterday so hopefully his back injury is no longer an issue.

Smartie
29-12-2015, 01:11 PM
I have been disappointed also as he does his job well and allows others to play. I do feel Fyvie is better in a more advanced position also.

Who do you drop though?

I think McGeoch is our best player, closely followed by McGinn so they have to start every game when fit.

Henderson has had a few shaky performances so maybe him. Great player to have on the bench to bring on too.

Kaiserclem
29-12-2015, 01:36 PM
I think games such as Rangers home & away, Falkirk home & away, QOS away etc. are examples of games where we need him holding and using the strength of his to allow 3 of the guys below to play our passing game and get us away from the long ball which is starting to creep in to our game.

McGeouch ( I agree, our best midfielder who's energy is fundamental to our game)
McGinn (looking tired?)
Henderson
Fyvie
Carmichael (not been given a chance yet but good player)
Boyle (wide right)

Great choi

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Have to say that I thought that Bartley would play if he was fit but we have not seen that. He has had his injuries and there is also a truth to not changing winning teams, but I thought this boy would play and do the rough stuff and win the ball for the creators in the team.

Dashing Bob S
29-12-2015, 03:16 PM
I think Bartley should be in as our midfield has gone off the boil. McGeough carried the rest of them.

McGinn - great player, but like all young talents, has gone off the boil. Hasn't performed last three games.

Henderson - looks a little lost. Big second half of season for him. Personally I doubt if he'll live up to the Celtic hype of being the next big Scottish star, possibly found his level.

Fyvie - no more needs to be said.

Squealing pig
29-12-2015, 03:19 PM
Team crying out for a destroyer like bartley in last nights game . but if he was injured nothing we can do about it except move on.

3 points behind . easily nake that up if we all get behind the team.

lord bunberry
29-12-2015, 03:20 PM
He hasn't played in any of the games against rangers so far iirc.

keep the faith
29-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Just because the midfield had a bad day yesterday doesn't mean Bartley is now a messiah.
For me he looks out his depth and doesn't offer much at all. Hope I'm proved wrong of course but "destroyer"? I don't think so.

gorgie greens
30-12-2015, 08:27 PM
Was calling for this before the game and got shot down in flames , think it's got to be horses for courses ,I felt the game was going to be a battle and agree about his flair or lack of it but he has that Matty Jack about him and felt we needed his presence ,but not sure if he was still carrying a knock or not

B.H.F.C
30-12-2015, 08:32 PM
Just because the midfield had a bad day yesterday doesn't mean Bartley is now a messiah.
For me he looks out his depth and doesn't offer much at all. Hope I'm proved wrong of course but "destroyer"? I don't think so.

Out his depth? In what way?

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-12-2015, 08:41 PM

Isn't it a wider point than just the ability of Bartley? He was bought as a type of player that we were missing and I thought that we would adjust to a certain style to accommodate that. Albeit that we have had injuries etc, but against the Rangers our midfielders were all the same player type just with different names.

keep the faith
30-12-2015, 09:31 PM
Out his depth? In what way?

I honestly have never seen him make an impact on any game he has played for us. He is a big lad but dont see what he offers at all. It's not like he is playing in the hold either as he is usually caught in no man's land.
Again I think he has all the physical attributes and would love him to be our proper holding midfielder, but I do fear there is a reason he has played his career in the lower leagues.

Smartie
30-12-2015, 09:52 PM
I honestly have never seen him make an impact on any game he has played for us. He is a big lad but dont see what he offers at all. It's not like he is playing in the hold either as he is usually caught in no man's land.
Again I think he has all the physical attributes and would love him to be our proper holding midfielder, but I do fear there is a reason he has played his career in the lower leagues.

Not the way I've seen his performances for us at all tbh.

He was poor at Dumbarton, as was just about everyone who played that day.

At all other times he has been at least competent and sometimes excellent.

I'd have liked to have seen him play more as he is physically stronger than our other midfielders and I think he'd have the positional discipline to keep it simple allowing the other midfielders - whoever they are - the creative freedom to express themselves.

As for the English lower leagues, he was highly regarded at Burnley, playing at a significantly higher level than the one we currently find ourselves at.

keep the faith
30-12-2015, 09:57 PM

I'd have liked to have seen him play more as he is physically stronger than our other midfielders and I think he'd have the positional discipline to keep it simple allowing the other midfielders - whoever they are - the creative freedom to express themselves.

As for the English lower leagues, he was highly regarded at Burnley, playing at a significantly higher level than the one we currently find ourselves at.

Fair do's Smartie. I dont see it and judging by the limited game time he is getting - especially when there have been a few games we would have benefited from a defensive midfielder, Stubbs might not be convinced either.
I hope you are right though. I will be delighted if I'm wrong.

B.H.F.C
30-12-2015, 10:02 PM

That's it for me.

He's a natural in the position he's being asked to play. I'm not a fan of trying to accomodate players in positions and I think that is what has happened with Fyvie of late, although he has done all right at times.

I think our other midfielders, particularly Henderson, contributed more earlier in the season when he was in the team.

Smartie
30-12-2015, 10:26 PM
Fair do's Smartie. I dont see it and judging by the limited game time he is getting - especially when there have been a few games we would have benefited from a defensive midfielder, Stubbs might not be convinced either.
I hope you are right though. I will be delighted if I'm wrong.

This is the crux of the matter.

Bartley has impressed me in his performances so far and I'd like to see him play more.

More importantly, Stubbs watches him in training every day and if he thought he offered more than those currently being picked then he'd have picked Bartley instead, which he has not done.

We'll see.

B.H.F.C
30-12-2015, 10:41 PM
This is the crux of the matter.

Bartley has impressed me in his performances so far and I'd like to see him play more.

More importantly, Stubbs watches him in training every day and if he thought he offered more than those currently being picked then he'd have picked Bartley instead, which he has not done.

We'll see.

To be fair, he started at Alloa which was the last game before the 3 week break and then got injured during that time and was only back on the bech yesterday.

I'm sure I read an interview with him where he said Stubbs had told him when he signed he'd only play once a week. That might have something to do with why he's been in and out the team. That said, there have been a couple of games that he hasn't started that I thought he would, mainly the first two games against Rangers.

J-C
31-12-2015, 12:05 AM
He hasn't played in any of the games against rangers so far iirc.

And we've lost 3 out of those 4 games.

QMU-1875
31-12-2015, 02:31 AM
Sincerely hope Bartley gets given a chance. I felt he played a part in the midfield in the games we have most convincingly win, he may not be the best technical footballer but his physical attributes and positional sense are very good

CapitalGreen
31-12-2015, 08:47 AM
And we've lost 3 out of those 4 games.

Bartley replaced McGeough at 1-0 in our home win and played very well.

J-C
31-12-2015, 10:01 AM
Bartley replaced McGeough at 1-0 in our home win and played very well.

Which is my point :aok: