PDA

View Full Version : 4 into 2?

Expecting Rain
29-12-2015, 10:57 AM
Seems like yesterdays performance highlighted a few flaws in the current set-up, for me the the 4 players that represented the midfield are all centre mid players and there are always going to be 2 from the 4 in any given order that are playing out of position. Yesterdays game was crying out for a holding midfielder like Bartley especially in the first 60 minutes, also there is a real lack of width in the team which means that Hibs always have to be intricate and precise when working into scoring positions, these flaws are never really recognised when we are playing inferior opposition. The pairing of two strikers of the same ilk in my opinion was an error of judgement and a luxury given the nature of this particular fixture. A very average Rangers team were made to look much better than they actually are and although Stubbs has quite rightfully taken the plaudits for an excellent season and turn around at the club i think it is understandable that there has been some criticism in the way things panned out and i`m sure he has more than a few options up his sleeve in the january window, don`t forget Rangers still have to come to Easter Road. Hopefully Hibs can move on from this set back and ratchet up a few more goals to put more pressure on our rivals for the title.

Since90+2
29-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Agree the midfield was unbalanced yesterday as we basically had 4 central midfielders shoehorned in. You can get away with it against the lesser teams in the league but not against Rangers.

We need McGinn in the middle of the park where he is at his best. He can do a job outwide but is not the same player.

Boyle also needs to play outwide right to give the midfield some natural width and pace.

Expecting Rain
29-12-2015, 11:08 AM
Agree the midfield was unbalanced yesterday as we basically had 4 central midfielders shoehorned in. You can get away with it against the lesser teams in the league but not against Rangers.

We need McGinn in the middle of the park where he is at his best. He can do a job outwide but is not the same player.

Boyle also needs to play outwide right to give the midfield some natural width and pace.

It would be difficult to drop 2 of the current 4 from a potentially talented set of midfielders but i think the iclusion of Bartley and Boyle would have given us a better balance away from home and a greater opportunity to have taken a point from a difficult fixture.

Geo_1875
29-12-2015, 11:16 AM
Complete lack of width in midfield and no variety up front. If Dom is fit he must play. Jason and Keatings too similar and don't hold the ball enough. Malonga and Cummings with Boyle giving the width would have been much better yesterday. Would also have stopped the ball coming back so quickly as well.

nellio
29-12-2015, 12:00 PM
Agree about McGinn being needed in the middle. He's wasted out wide IMO.

happiehibbie
29-12-2015, 10:58 PM
Boyle really !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jones28
29-12-2015, 11:12 PM
Why sit so deep? Surely playing one up top, with a holding midfield pair and 3 forward playing midfielders would be the best option?

Oxley
Gray McGregor Fontaine Stevenson
Bartley/Mcgeouch Hanlon
Henderson McGinn Boyle
Cummings

Or using wing backs?
Either way some of the tactics were poor, but individual errors from most players on the park are what cost us.

J-C
30-12-2015, 08:21 AM
Why sit so deep? Surely playing one up top, with a holding midfield pair and 3 forward playing midfielders would be the best option?

Oxley
Gray McGregor Fontaine Stevenson
Bartley/Mcgeouch Hanlon
Henderson McGinn Boyle
Cummings

Or using wing backs?
Either way some of the tactics were poor, but individual errors from most players on the park are what cost us.

I've been wanting Stubbs to try this tact but he still insists on the diamond shape, a 4-2-3-1/4-5-1 formation might have worked better on monday, able to move from defence to attack smoothly.

jimmythefish
30-12-2015, 09:34 AM
If it's a diamond bartley holding McGinn top o the diamond mcgeouch right fyffie left

Expecting Rain
30-12-2015, 09:49 AM
Boyle really !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a long term solution but offered a better balance
on the day, at least for 50-60 minutes.

ancient hibee
30-12-2015, 07:45 PM
The midfield always looks better when Malonga is upfront because he always makes himself available for the ball and has the skill to protect it.Not starting him was a mistake.

truehibernian
30-12-2015, 07:52 PM
The midfield always looks better when Malonga is upfront because he always makes himself available for the ball and has the skill to protect it.Not starting him was a mistake.

I can see why Stubbs went with Keatings and Cummings after watching Falkirks Baird and O'Hara pick them apart at times. The Rangers didn't really have to work hard for their goals, two unforced errors from Fontaine and Fyvie cost us at vital times and The Rangers were clinical.

What disappointed me more was Boyle not starting to be honest as he would have protected Gray and been potent as a threat - for me at the expense of Henderson and putting McGeouch central.