PDA

View Full Version : Was Stubbs right to be confident in the press?

GlasgowHibee
28-12-2015, 04:03 PM
For me, nope. I would always want to play down our ability, much like the yams from the other side did all throughout last season. Can't help but feel that his attitude in the press will have spurred on The Rangers.

Peevemor
28-12-2015, 04:06 PM
For me, nope. I would always want to play down our ability, much like the yams from the other side did all throughout last season. Can't help but feel that his attitude in the press will have spurred on The Rangers.

Stubbs only stated the obvious - that sevco would be looking over their shoulders. Apart from that he didn't big us up too much at all.

I wish folk would stop coming out with this.

cabbageandribs1875
28-12-2015, 04:08 PM
no..........some appeared to enjoy it, apparently we have to have a swagger about us, me ? i'd prefer any swaggering be done on the pitch and NOT in the media :)

Pretty Boy
28-12-2015, 04:09 PM
Yes he was right. We had won 15 of our last 17 games and drawn 2. I'd be fuming if he wasn't confident.

Absolutely nothing wrong with talking our club up, it's a good counter balance to those who always want to drag it down. It wasn't our day today but Stubbs has confidence in this squad and his own ability and rightly so.

hibee_girl
28-12-2015, 04:10 PM
Of course he was right, he wasn't shouting we'd win comfortably but he had every faith in his group of players.

What else was he meant to say? We'll be crap and get hammered, may as well not turn up!!

GlasgowHibee
28-12-2015, 04:11 PM
Yes he was right. We had won 15 of our last 17 games and drawn 2. I'd be fuming if he wasn't confident.

Absolutely nothing wrong with talking our club up, it's a good counter balance to those who always want to drag it down. It wasn't our day today but Stubbs has confidence in this squad and his own ability and rightly so.

I agree with what you say, but, i'd rather the confidence was internal, rather than reiterated frequently in the press. Let the players and manager make the headlines on the pitch and in the dugout, not in the press conferences.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-12-2015, 04:14 PM
No. Had we won it would not have made the victory any sweeter. Just makes us look like we are choking on our words. Bragging doesn't sit well and as for talking the club up? Well there are ways to that and ways not to do that.

Peevemor
28-12-2015, 04:14 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/rangers/alan-stubbs-says-rangers-match-is-a-free-hit-for-his-team-1-3985709

"It is a free hit,” he stressed. “We go there and will have a right go at them. We are going to test them and they’ll test us, because it is two good teams, we have seen from the games, apart from the Petrofac game. They were close games, there is no denying that. But there is no pressure on us.

But the worst case scenario now is we’ll be three points behind them.

Now they are going through a period where I think it is two wins in six – not that I’ve noticed or anything – so it has been a little bit of a sticky period for them. They will come strong again, I’m not denying that. But I hope it’s not on Monday.

Stop with the over-confident stuff. He never once said we were going to win. He never once said sevco aren't a good team. All he said was that the pressure was on them, which is still the case.

HappyAsHellas
28-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Does anyone actually have any quotes of him bigging us up? From what I read, he said they were looking over their shoulders and he was confident in his players, so where does all the bragging bull come from?

Thecat23
28-12-2015, 04:18 PM
Yes, only if he then can back it up with tactics that take the game to them not sit in and let them batter us.

Peevemor
28-12-2015, 04:19 PM
Does anyone actually have any quotes of him bigging us up? From what I read, he said they were looking over their shoulders and he was confident in his players, so where does all the bragging bull come from?

The headlines above the articles - not from Stubbs' mouth.

BH Hibs
28-12-2015, 04:20 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/rangers/alan-stubbs-says-rangers-match-is-a-free-hit-for-his-team-1-3985709

Stop with the over-confident stuff. He never once said we were going to win. He never once said sevco aren't a good team. All he said was that the pressure was on them, which is still the case.

But don't let that get in the way of giving our manager a good doing.

GlasgowHibee
28-12-2015, 04:21 PM
"Rivals have now sussed out Rangers, claims Hibernian manager Alan Stubbs"

"Rangers are under the cosh, says Hibernian manager Alan Stubbs"

"Stubbs claims Warburton has had a “very easy” job transforming Rangers."

"Stubbs says Rangers are in denial if they’re shrugging off their recent form slump."

All newspaper headlines i've found within a minute or two, now I know the papers twist things, but I would just prefer if he said nothing and said things once we have won the league.

Peevemor
28-12-2015, 04:22 PM
"Rivals have now sussed out Rangers, claims Hibernian manager Alan Stubbs"

"Rangers are under the cosh, says Hibernian manager Alan Stubbs"

"Stubbs claims Warburton has had a “very easy” job transforming Rangers."

"Stubbs says Rangers are in denial if they’re shrugging off their recent form slump."

All newspaper headlines i've found within a minute or two, now I know the papers twist things, but I would just prefer if he said nothing and said things once we have won the league.

There you go. Now give me direct quotes from the past couple of weeks.

Steve20
28-12-2015, 04:22 PM
No. He's clearly tactically naive, so decided to shout his mouth off. Well, he failed to get us promoted last season and will be sitting 3rd in the second tier tomorrow night.

He won't get us promoted.

California-Hibs
28-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Close this thread.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
28-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Every right to be confident, we were on the back of being 18/19 games unbeated. However, I think he was maybe a bit too OVER confident and maybe cocky. He/we'll learn from that though...

Peevemor
28-12-2015, 04:24 PM
No. He's clearly tactically naive, so decided to shout his mouth off. Well, he failed to get us promoted last season and will be sitting 3rd in the second tier tomorrow night.

Are you stupid or deliberately on the wind up? No he didn't.

Onion
28-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Yes, as long as he was confident his players could walk his talk. They couldn't.

Today, too many Hibs players found wanting or missing in action. IMO only Cummings and McGeough showed any real belief or desire. Fyvie had a mare of game, McGinn did nothing and Henderson looked like a young laddie.

lucky
28-12-2015, 04:25 PM
Yes 100%. It's first time I can remember a Hibs manager playing the mind games with the Old Firm and rattling them. Shame that we never told the players they were there for the taking.

Scorrie
28-12-2015, 04:26 PM
I didn't think he said anything too over the top. Perhaps the best tactic is to stick to talking about your own team...

Thecat23
28-12-2015, 04:27 PM

Yes he will. Only 3 points off the top and he'll learn from this today. He's a good manager he's had a bad day though.

SausageSurprise

Behave. There's still lots of football to be played. We've not been at our best the last 2or3 weeks but we knew we'd hit a wee tough spell. It's just unfortunate that we've dropped points against our closest challengers

B.H.F.C

Do you just remember your login details when we lose?

hibee_girl
28-12-2015, 04:28 PM

Must be nice to be able to see into the future.

cabbageandribs1875
28-12-2015, 04:29 PM
Yes, as long as he was confident his players could walk his talk. They couldn't.

Today, too many Hibs players found wanting or missing in action. IMO only Cummings and McGeough showed any real belief or desire. Fyvie had a mare of game, McGinn did nothing and Henderson looked like a young laddie.

McGinn's not reached the standards he reached before the last 3 games, still a young laddie and hopefully it doesn't get him down, he's still got a lot of talent, agree re: Henderson, been off the boil of late as well

SON OF PADDY
28-12-2015, 04:31 PM

I believe in a man called Stubb's !!! GGTTH

green day
28-12-2015, 04:32 PM
....and here is a classic from The Suns Kenny Millar (supposedly a Hibs fan) now rewriting history.

Another erse

gaz1875
28-12-2015, 04:32 PM

:top marks

Dan Sarf
28-12-2015, 04:33 PM

Yes.

anon1875
28-12-2015, 04:34 PM
he just stated the obvious imo

'mon the beers
28-12-2015, 04:34 PM
Would we rather he said all the standard stuff or actually showed his belief in his team? Genuine question.

I think he should talk us up giving the run we've had, he clearly believes in his squad and rightly so IMO. Terrible game today that's a given but it's one game ffs.

southern hibby
28-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Whatever anyone thinks of AS he needs to be able to change tactics during a game. Make no mistake we were tactically lacking today and The Rangers made us pay.

Also we look very slow going forward and constantly punted high balls to our two strikers who never won a ball, so it was ironic Malonga scored with a header just of the ground

Last thing it's not a case of getting the knives out its a case of trying to be honest and for me AS tactics where in my eyes suspect.

GGTTH

Kato
28-12-2015, 04:35 PM
People reading the headlines and editorial while ignoring the content, which was pretty matter of fact.

hibb1
28-12-2015, 04:40 PM
We got beat,Rangers were better than us on the day,Learn all round and move on to next game it's there for the taking:thumbsup::flag:

matty_f
28-12-2015, 04:40 PM

Totally agree with this, there's always the risk of ending up with egg on your face when you are confident, but if you can't be confident after a run like we've been on, then you may as well give up.

Stubbs has a good side. His side has a good manager. We went to Ibrox with every right to be confident. Have The Rangers had a slump recently - absolutely. Stubbs did nothing wrong.

He was absolutely correct to big up his team. About time someone did.

You are a troll, I am utterly convinced of this. Tactically naïve? That's our first defeat in how long? You're at it.

Danderhall Hibs
28-12-2015, 05:06 PM

I'd much prefer he talked us down at every opportunity and instilled a lack of belief in the players at the same time.

I hate being confident and having belief.

Peevemor
28-12-2015, 05:09 PM
I'd much prefer he talked us down at every opportunity and instilled a lack of belief in the players at the same time.

He should ask Steve20 to do the press conferences and team talks. :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
28-12-2015, 05:10 PM

Good shout. Maybe get him involved in the tactics as well.

matty_f
28-12-2015, 05:18 PM

Good shout. Maybe get him involved in the tactics as well.

"There's nae point bothering the day lads, the game's up. Yer aw pish, Ah'm pish. We've nae chance, disnae matter that they're the worst team ever and that they're top of the league, we're pure hingin' and if we can keep it down to 5 or 6 against we'll have done well. Ah'm no' wanting you gaun' aw attacking like we wur in derbies under Alex Miller, Ah'm lookin' fur mair depressin' tactics and that."

Jim44
28-12-2015, 05:19 PM
Stubbs is confident and self-assured so he will be able to tolorate all the egg on his chin. This is not a knee-jerk reaction, as I've spoken about it on a few threads in the days before the match. Nothing will persuade me to change my mind that he was naive and made their win ten times as sweet.

gillythehibby
28-12-2015, 05:25 PM
A resounding YES every time. Never play it down to an opponent especially when your team has the best form in the league. We got beat, so what. We move on again.

matty_f
28-12-2015, 05:27 PM
A resounding YES every time. Never play it down to an opponent especially when your team has the best form in the league. We got beat, so what. We move on again.

:agree: Well said.

DavieB
28-12-2015, 05:30 PM

Correct, keep it going Stubbsy, it is annoying them, they only won today because of the mistakes we made .

GGTTH

Ronniekirk
28-12-2015, 06:04 PM
Correct, keep it going Stubbsy, it is annoying them, they only won today because of the mistakes we made .

GGTTH

I am going to be brutally honest It was a sublime finish from Cummings completely against the run of play We were rararely in the game for any period of time and we just kept punting the ball out of defence right back at them particularly in that first half .
Stubbs talked the talk but the players didn't back it up today .We could of lost by more and even when they were down to ten men they caused us problems .
Not saying anymore as really dissapointed by the manner in which we got beat
This was a chance to go top after all our hard work to catch them up We blew it simple as that.

How we now respond to that defeat is crucial ,as we need to bounce straight back .
Anier has made a difference in the last two games but wasn't given an opportunity, don't understand why he didn't get a run out towards the end of the game .

Sir David Gray
28-12-2015, 06:06 PM
Aye I would much rather hear our manager talk about how much better the other team is and how we're the underdog etc.

It's worked wonders for us in the past. :rolleyes:

PISTOL1875
28-12-2015, 06:12 PM
Of course he was right to be confident in the press.. Anyone who thinks he wasn't needs to have a look at themselves..

Would you rather he said words along the lines of we are underdogs and there's no point in turning up or does he go for it , be positive and talk up our chances of getting a result ??

Swedish hibee
28-12-2015, 06:20 PM
Yes to your question :agree:

greenpaper55
28-12-2015, 06:29 PM
Do your talking on the pitch...simple. There is nothing to be gained in shouting your mouth off.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-12-2015, 06:49 PM

But surely the important stuff is what is said at training and in the dressing room and at half time?

emerald green
28-12-2015, 07:03 PM
There's nothing wrong with a manager/coach sounding "confident" (of what? winning the match presumably?) in the press, but he needs to pick his words very carefully. Otherwise, he's at risk of getting his words to eat afterwards if his teams performance doesn't match the pre-match talk. Also, sometimes, it does no harm to play down your chances in public (but not in private) and then come out with all guns blazing on the pitch.

That's something Hibs failed to do today, again in a crunch match. That's really the question that has to be asked about the team's performance today. Why did his players performance not match the manager's confidence?

Lago
28-12-2015, 07:03 PM

I always like the phrase quietly confident, much better way to approach matters.

AFKA5814_Hibs
28-12-2015, 07:11 PM
It might be over played but do your talking on the park, otherwise you might end up having egg on your face. I still think we can win this league but let's forget about this slanging match and just get on with winning games.

Jonnyboy
28-12-2015, 07:15 PM
Are you stupid or deliberately on the wind up? No he didn't.

I know which option gets my vote :wink:

silverhibee
28-12-2015, 07:32 PM

Yes, if he wasn't confident then it would have been pointless turning up, s**t happens and Stubbs needs to lift the players for our next game.

To be honest I don't believe much of what managers say to the press, normally a different story to what is said in the dressing room.

JimBHibees
28-12-2015, 07:37 PM

You plainly hate Hibs.

Lago
28-12-2015, 07:47 PM
There's nothing wrong with a manager/coach sounding "confident" (of what? winning the match presumably?) in the press, but he needs to pick his words very carefully. Otherwise, he's at risk of getting his words to eat afterwards if his teams performance doesn't match the pre-match talk. Also, sometimes, it does no harm to play down your chances in public (but not in private) and then come out with all guns blazing on the pitch.

That's something Hibs failed to do today, again in a crunch match. That's really the question that has to be asked about the team's performance today. Why did his players performance not match the manager's confidence?

stoneyburn hibs
28-12-2015, 07:50 PM
He never really said anything wrong with regards to dissing the opponents. I welcome whatever he says if it's anything pro Hibs.
Why is this an issue ?

Deeds
28-12-2015, 07:53 PM
We got defeated today,! That's the way it goes sometimes/.. We sh"t ourselves as we've a young team who don't know yet how to win/dominate games. But we're geting better all the time.... Jason's goal world class....let's look at the positives

Velma Dinkley
28-12-2015, 07:57 PM
What is it he said that was over confident?

Ozyhibby
28-12-2015, 08:01 PM
Stubbs got it spot on. We need fans to start going to games again. We need to talk up every game we play in.
Everyone raved about what Barry Hearn said at Hampden last year but as soon as our manager starts doing it everyone gets a bit shy and starts worrying about what other people think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoneyburn hibs
28-12-2015, 08:15 PM
Stubbs got it spot on. We need fans to start going to games again. We need to talk up every game we play in.
Everyone raved about what Barry Hearn said at Hampden last year but as soon as our manager starts doing it everyone gets a bit shy and starts worrying about what other people think.

Well said Ozy, we (as fans) really need to get over (ourselves ?) and start believing how good this current squad is. It's easy to commentate on Hibs but let's start backing them.

Scouse Hibee
28-12-2015, 08:27 PM
Hibs manager has the audacity to step from the shadows and is given pelters from his own small minded fans, un****** believable.

SeanWilson
28-12-2015, 08:36 PM
Hibs manager has the audacity to step from the shadows and is given pelters from his own small minded fans, un****** believable.

He didn't get pelters in ibrox? As soon as he walked out to the press 900 hibs fans chanted his name....

Scouse Hibee
28-12-2015, 08:39 PM
He didn't get pelters in ibrox? As soon as he walked out to the press 900 hibs fans chanted his name....

I'm not talking about Ibrox.

SeanWilson
28-12-2015, 08:43 PM

Fair play.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
28-12-2015, 09:24 PM

What are you talking about then?

bookert
28-12-2015, 10:36 PM
Well said Ozy, we (as fans) really need to get over (ourselves ?) and start believing how good this current squad is. It's easy to commentate on Hibs but let's start backing them.

I am a season ticket holder, go to every home game and every other game I can and am embarrassed at Stubbs. We failed to beat Falkirk and struggled to beat Qos at home, these are teams with a fraction of hibs budget. Today we had a real test and we're second best all over the park, he needs to keep the bragging under wraps till we have something to brag about.

marinello59
28-12-2015, 10:49 PM
I am a season ticket holder, go to every home game and every other game I can and am embarrassed at Stubbs. We failed to beat Falkirk and struggled to beat Qos at home, these are teams with a fraction of hibs budget. Today we had a real test and we're second best all over the park, he needs to keep the bragging under wraps till we have something to brag about.

Wow.
You might want to looks at the fraction of Hibs budget in relation to today's game. Were you embarrassed at Stubbs during the unbeaten run?

stoneyburn hibs
28-12-2015, 10:51 PM

I must have missed him bragging ?

Danderhall Hibs
28-12-2015, 10:53 PM

:hilarious

Forza Fred
28-12-2015, 10:53 PM

I like others, am aware that headlines are dreamt up by a sub editor, and that the interviewee has no say in what they are.

While I have read articles where Stubbs is expressing confidence in his players....I have yet to read something where it suggests he is 'shouting his mouth off'

He basically answered questions in a positive manner.

Although I guess he could have said things along the lines of....." We have little chance against a Rangers. They are a huge club and we will be playing against them, knowing they are above us in the league, will have a huge home support, and score more goals than us. But the boys will turn up and do our best"

Or he could refuse to answer any questions at press interviews.

Methinks, the lesson learned is don't just read the headlines of the tabloids...or better still, don't read the tabloids.

Forza Fred
28-12-2015, 10:56 PM

A season ticket holder where I wonder?

Fishwicke
28-12-2015, 11:02 PM
I agree. Not embarrassed about our unbeaten run . But even more embarrassed if after all the bragging we drop to 3rd in the league should Falkirk beat Livingston today. God forbid.

Forza Fred
28-12-2015, 11:17 PM
I agree. Not embarrassed about our unbeaten run . But even more embarrassed if after all the bragging we drop to 3rd in the league should Falkirk beat Livingston today. God forbid.

Can you supply evidence of quotes identifying such 'bragging'?

As opposed to headlines supplied by a sub editor of the newspapers concerned?

Will help get your post count up too.

marinello59
28-12-2015, 11:26 PM
Stubbs is guilty of refusing to play the media game of acting like we are also rans against the mighty Sevco juggernaught. Long may it continue.

ALF TUPPER
28-12-2015, 11:36 PM
I was happy with everything he said in the lead up,
They were there for the taking today but we didn't do it,
That's the most frustrating thing for me. We are a better team but today we failed.

Hopefully we can come back on Saturday and hammer Raith. Someone is due a serious stuffing from us. Let's start on Saturday .

bookert
28-12-2015, 11:46 PM

This message forum makes me laugh. I have been a hibs supporter for fifty odd years, season ticket holder for many of these years, my son's a season ticket holder. I take my grandkids to the games but as soon as you express a view you can expect a reply like this. We were poor today, we have been poor for weeks now, we are playing in the second tier of a poor league. But I can't have an opinion on a message board, very sad.

Leithenhibby
28-12-2015, 11:53 PM

:agree: 100%

Absolutely nothing wrong with talking our club up, our manager had the audacity to state that they were having a tough time of it lately. Our fans aren't use to having a manager standing up to, and playing some mind games with the ugly sisters. Eddie Turnbull did it all the time.

Fishwicke
29-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Can you supply evidence of quotes identifying such 'bragging'?

As opposed to headlines supplied by a sub editor of the newspapers concerned?

Will help get your post count up too.
Hi Fred. I might call it bragging others might not. I've played different sports with my brothers, one in particular always liked to wind the opposition up by giving them the verbals. While I 'm the opposite and would rather wait until we had done the business. Alan's hibs tv pre match interview and reference to how many points we were behind them at one time in the season. (Credit to him and the team for catching up ) just reminded me of times when my brother used to congratulate us before a game had finished and we would go on to lose. It's in my nature. My problem.

GlasgowHibee
29-12-2015, 01:03 AM

The pink asbestos shed across the other side of the city.:agree:

lapsedhibee
29-12-2015, 05:43 AM
Are you stupid or deliberately on the wind up?

I know which option gets my vote

Why is there no "or both" option? :grr::panic:

Jones28
29-12-2015, 07:07 AM
I think if we had steamrollered Falkirk and QOTS yesterday's game would have been very different. As it is we didn't, but all Stubbs was doing was talking up his own team which you can't really have a go at him for after the last few months.

We shot ourselves in the foot yesterday with some choices in tactics and players which is what really let us down.

Stokesy's on fire
29-12-2015, 07:14 AM
You should approach every match confident so to answer the question Yes.

bookert
29-12-2015, 07:54 AM
You should approach every match confident so to answer the question Yes.

I am all for being confident going into games, I think it is niave to allow the press manipulate you into giving headlines that are going to fire up the opposition.

Peevemor
29-12-2015, 09:26 AM
I am all for being confident going into games, I think it is niave to allow the press manipulate you into giving headlines that are going to fire up the opposition.

It's naïve to think you can avoid it if that's the slant they want to give the story.

green day
29-12-2015, 09:42 AM

I had a wee twitter exchange with Kenny Millar (Sun journo who posts on here) last night - he tweeted after the game "Fair play to Rangers, they did their talking on the pitch".

I took that to be a fairly obvious dig at Stubbs

I asked him what Stubbs did but state facts, to which he replied "where did I say Stubbs had done anything wrong"

You see, even with a journo who is a self confessed Hibby, whatever is said can be twisted to make a headline.

As far as I am concerned, the Huns winning puts us right back under the radar - especially if Falkirk win tonight.

I am entirely happy with Stubbs media dealings - he knows fine that whatever he says he is stuffed - so he might as well be bullish.

SeanWilson
29-12-2015, 09:51 AM
We hadn't lost a football match in 4 months... If that doesn't allow for a confident attitude, what does? I like that hibs seem to have something about them again. I like that Alan plays with the press.... The team and club have a personality about them again and long may it continue.

Phil MaGlass
29-12-2015, 09:53 AM
We hadn't lost a football match in 4 months... If that doesn't allow for a confident attitude, what does? I like that hibs seem to have something about them again. I like that Alan plays with the press.... The team and club have a personality about them again and long may it continue.

:aok: 100%.

Pretty Boy
29-12-2015, 10:08 AM

Well said.

I'd much rather read what Stubbs has to say, that's what he actually says not the headlines, than the tired cliches so many managers come out with.

blackpoolhibs
29-12-2015, 10:13 AM

Exactly, and its should give the team and management a little bit of leeway rather than them being slaughtered from quite a few on here who should know better.

FFS the team have in the main been winning every week, of course we are unhappy at a loss but its 3 points. We've taken 32 points from 36 in the previous 17 games, the time to moan is when we are not winning and dropping points against Alloa or Dumbarton.

Some folk on here were complaining about the amount of doom and gloomers when we were losing points to these teams, yet now we lose 1 game in 17 THEY are at it when things are going much better.

And folk call me miserable? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

sleeping giant
29-12-2015, 10:15 AM
Are we seriously questioning being confident just because we got beat :faf:

We should just keep our wee provincial gobs shut and meekly accept our rogering.

Bishop Hibee
29-12-2015, 10:20 AM
One defeat and some folk going radge saying we won't go up, Stubbs is naive etc. Stubbs is still learning as a manager but I think he was right to crank up the pressure on Newco. As I've said previously on here, neither Hibs nor Rangers are good enough to go all season without slipping up. We just have to make sure we go on another good run again starting on Saturday.

matty_f
29-12-2015, 10:49 AM
Exactly, and its should give the team and management a little bit of leeway rather than them being slaughtered from quite a few on here who should know better.

FFS the team have in the main been winning every week, of course we are unhappy at a loss but its 3 points. We've taken 32 points from 36 in the previous 17 games, the time to moan is when we are not winning and dropping points against Alloa or Dumbarton.

Some folk on here were complaining about the amount of doom and gloomers when we were losing points to these teams, yet now we lose 1 game in 17 THEY are at it when things are going much better.

:top marksSpot on, BH.

Casper
29-12-2015, 10:51 AM
Stubbs only stated the obvious - that sevco would be looking over their shoulders. Apart from that he didn't big us up too much at all.

I wish folk would stop coming out with this.

Agree with this. It's not like he was slagging them off??

Casper
29-12-2015, 10:52 AM

Yup, well said [emoji106]🏻

Colr
29-12-2015, 10:56 AM
Agree with this. It's not like he was slagging them off??

They'll still be looking over their shoulders.

It'll be interesting to see if they make any signings in January given that they've had to pay the MA money back.

Smartie
29-12-2015, 12:07 PM
Maybe it's just me but I'm not a fan of trash talk, certainly not before big games.

If he wanted to have a wee gloat after picking up a result then fine but remember there are still 18 games to be played.

If he wins the league he can say what he wants.

I think he helped fire up the Rangers players and also their fans and I didn't think some of our players handled the hostile atmosphere well.

I like quiet confidence and I think he got this one badly wrong.

emerald green
29-12-2015, 01:16 PM
Maybe it's just me but I'm not a fan of trash talk, certainly not before big games.

If he wanted to have a wee gloat after picking up a result then fine but remember there are still 18 games to be played.

If he wins the league he can say what he wants.

I think he helped fire up the Rangers players and also their fans and I didn't think some of our players handled the hostile atmosphere well.

I like quiet confidence and I think he got this one badly wrong.

I agree with this. I posted previously that there's nothing wrong with a manager/coach being confident. That's fine and as it should be with his team on a long unbeaten run albeit not really setting the heather on fire. However, he must pick his words carefully as there is a good chance they can backfire.

AS appeared to be trying to play mind games with Warburton for some time leading up to this fixture. For example, AS mentioned that The Rangers had allowed a seemingly uncatchable lead slip away, and also said this match was a "free hit" for Hibs.

It was no such thing, and it seemed several Hibs players didn't turn up yesterday. Why was that? If AS is going to try playing mind games, then his team has to ensure that they win, or at least get a draw.

29-12-2015, 01:21 PM

Viva_Palmeiras
29-12-2015, 01:24 PM
What is one of the ,Rangers worst enemies?
Complacency.
So the scenario where they won and got the last? Laugh in the "mind games" just fuels that...
Rope-them-dopes