PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian Football Club

SkintHibby
24-12-2015, 08:31 AM
I grew up in West lothian to Glaswegian parents and started following Hibernian in 1984 thanks to my Hibee schoolmate.

Have a go at me. Insult me for not being a Leither and have a dig all you want but as a 45 year old man I will love Hibernian FC as much as any of you Edinburgers will.

I will always be proud to say I support Hibernian.

GGTTH.

Peevemor
24-12-2015, 08:33 AM
I grew up in West lothian to Glaswegian parents and started following Hibernian in 1984 thanks to my Hibee schoolmate.

Have a go at me. Insult me for not being a Leither and have a dig all you want but as a 45 year old man I will love Hibernian FC as much as any of you Edinburgers will.

GGTTH.

Good night was it?

Pretty Boy
24-12-2015, 08:34 AM
Why would anyone insult you for that? I'm not a Leither, both my parents were brought up in traditional Hearts areas off the city as was I. I've never felt any less of a Hibby or been treated as such because of that.

MrSmith
24-12-2015, 08:38 AM
Why would folk have a go at you? Unlike other teams, we are not niche nor focussed upon a certain element/s within society! As you know, we are a far reaching family and community club who stretch to reach out to many with an inclusive approach.

like you but as a 48 year old, I learned about Hibs at my local primary school :flag:

marinello59
24-12-2015, 08:50 AM

GGTTH.

Glory hunter. :greengrin

lyonhibs
24-12-2015, 08:55 AM

GGTTH.

Have you potentially partaken of the grape and/or grain?

Hibernian Verse
24-12-2015, 08:55 AM
When you wake up hungover as **** and realise just how much you love the Hibees. We've all been there.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Jack
24-12-2015, 08:57 AM
Pft!

Think you've got problems?

I'M ENGLISH!

blackpoolhibs
24-12-2015, 09:01 AM
Unless you have the full compliment of loyalty points, it's impossible to love Hibs as much as those who do. :duck:

hibs0666
24-12-2015, 09:04 AM
Unless you have the full compliment of loyalty points, it's impossible to love Hibs as much as those who do. :duck:

Nae need.

Lucius Apuleius
24-12-2015, 09:08 AM
Nae need.

It is the season of good cheer so would be nice to see you smile and take posts in the manner they are given. Unless of course this is a whoosh moment.

Bostonhibby
24-12-2015, 09:12 AM
Is it possible to buy some as I was born in Leith and have hardly got any!

FranckSuzy
24-12-2015, 09:14 AM

GGTTH.

Hope you're not driving today :tee hee:

Is it Monday yet? :hyper :tree :xlol :rudolph

hibee_nation
24-12-2015, 09:29 AM
Should real Hibby fans fae Leith no get an extra 100 loyalty points. :aok:

O'Rourke3
24-12-2015, 09:38 AM
I got 50 for being born in the Eastern....

NAE NOOKIE
24-12-2015, 09:41 AM

GGTTH.

Being born in Edinburgh or Leif for that matter aint what makes good Hibbies mate ...... its whats in yer heart that counts, not whats on yer birth certificate or yer postcode. :aok:

Bostonhibby
24-12-2015, 09:45 AM
Being born in Edinburgh or Leif for that matter aint what makes good Hibbies mate ...... its whats in yer heart that counts, not whats on yer birth certificate or yer postcode. :aok:
[emoji106]

Mark79
24-12-2015, 09:56 AM
I don't have a season ticket this year. Once owned a flat in Gorgie too.Think that puts me on negative loyalty points.

I'm the lowest of the low.

FranckSuzy
24-12-2015, 10:03 AM
I don't have a season ticket this year. Once owned a flat in Gorgie too.Think that puts me on negative loyalty points.

Do you steal from charity? If, as I would assume, the answer is a big fat "NO" then you are not the lowest of the low, never will be and you are in fact a good Hibby, my son :aok: :rudolph

CB_NO3
24-12-2015, 10:07 AM

GGTTH.
Good on you mate :thumbsup:

GordonHFC
24-12-2015, 10:20 AM
I was brought up in Linlithgow and my dad was a season ticket holder at Brockville, my mum's family were from Peterhead and had Aberdeen tendancies and my older brother is a glory hunting twat of a Celtic supporter but truth be told I would need to give him directions to Darkhead.

I remember back in 1967 (ish) my cousin asking if I wanted to go to a football match and asked if I wanted to go to Easter Road or Tynecastle and boy am I glad I chose the right one. We ended up going to see Hibs v Dundee and I think we lost 3 1. I remember, as a six year old, walking down London Road thinking 'christ does this road never end' but I was hooked and been going ever since. For the sake of a toss of the coin decision my life could have been so much worse. GGTTH :agree:

SunshineOnLeith
24-12-2015, 10:49 AM

Get out.

Bostonhibby
24-12-2015, 11:18 AM
I was brought up in Linlithgow and my dad was a season ticket holder at Brockville, my mum's family were from Peterhead and had Aberdeen tendancies and my older brother is a glory hunting twat of a Celtic supporter but truth be told I would need to give him directions to Darkhead.

I remember back in 1967 (ish) my cousin asking if I wanted to go to a football match and asked if I wanted to go to Easter Road or Tynecastle and boy am I glad I chose the right one. We ended up going to see Hibs v Dundee and I think we lost 3 1. I remember, as a six year old, walking down London Road thinking 'christ does this road never end' but I was hooked and been going ever since. For the sake of a toss of the coin decision my life could have been so much worse. GGTTH :agree:

:agree: The sun shines in the virtuous, what a break, if the coin had landed the other way you'd have to live with the stigma of the poppy theft and all those other embarrassing failures to pay.:flag:

GreenArmyyy!
24-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Well if you weren't a skintHibby when you made this profile you will be after your night out last night by the sounds of things! GGTTH

DH1875
24-12-2015, 12:53 PM

I'm a weegie hibby and would say 99% of our support couldn't care less where our fans all come from. Unfortunately though there are a small minority within our support who can neither accept or acknowledge that we have fans that come from/live in the west. I'm speaking from personal experiences and hope that the OP hasn't faced similar.

That said, the timing of the original post does seem a bit strange and can only imagine the OP was on a cracker of a night out last night. Hope it was a good one :thumbsup:

Denverhibby
24-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Pft!

I'M ENGLISH!
Can't all be perfect. :flag:

Islington Hibs
24-12-2015, 01:02 PM

GGTTH.

Brilliant- I have no idea what proportion of our support is from Leith but would suggest could well be under a third. I am originally from West Edinburgh and live around a mile from Tynecastle but I still see sense!

Bostonhibby
24-12-2015, 01:05 PM
I'm a weegie hibby and would say 99% of our support couldn't care less where our fans all come from. Unfortunately though there are a small minority within our support who can neither accept or acknowledge that we have fans that come from/live in the west. I'm speaking from personal experiences and hope that the OP hasn't faced similar.

That said, the timing of the original post does seem a bit strange and can only imagine the OP was on a cracker of a night out last night. Hope it was a good one [emoji106]
One of the things that I am really proud of is our appeal to as broad a fan base as possible, Hibernian, non sectarian, all welcome.

CL0762
24-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Born and brought up pretty much in Gorgie, my grandad still stays there as well.

Lancs Harp
24-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Proud to be part of the Hibs family.

One of the things I love about the club is that to the vast vast majority it doesn't matter where you come from as long as you support Hibs a real sense of belonging.

Im English and have no "genetic" link to Leith or Edinburgh but have never been made to feel anything other than very welcome on my numerous visits to Easter Road, to he extent that I now have a season ticket.

Top club, top fans. http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

wookie70
24-12-2015, 01:22 PM
My Uncle is the reason I am a Hibby. He is a proud Leither but I have never stayed in that sunny town. I took a look recently though and Easter Road has always been closer to where I live than the PBS.

tomf
24-12-2015, 02:49 PM
My father was a Rangers fan (a decent, fair-minded one I might add); he took me and my elder brother to see Hibs play Rangers in 1961. They beat us but my brother and I became Hibs fans that day. which our dad accepted in good part. Now I go to the games with my son and grandson. It is a great family club and family can be anywhere. I've seen Hibs cheated by other teams, I've seen them cheated by officials, seen them dismissed by the media, seen them win against the odds, I've seen starships off Orion's Belt...where am I going with this? Oh yes, I've seen Hibs lose out to lesser teams and all the worst elements of Scottish football but I have never felt that anyone was better than Hibs. I appreciate that there are millions of football fans who feel the same way about their teams but very few with more good reasons. Play the Hibs way.

Nameless
24-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Growing up I wasn't really a fan of any team. My granddad, who I adored, was a hun, so I'd look out for their results. I moved to Drummond high in 97, and not long after started going to hibs games. I have two mates to thank for putting me on the right road; Iain Denniston and Stewart Robertson - hibs class!!

FranckSuzy
24-12-2015, 04:35 PM
My father was a Rangers fan (a decent, fair-minded one I might add); he took me and my elder brother to see Hibs play Rangers in 1961. They beat us but my brother and I became Hibs fans that day. which our dad accepted in good part. Now I go to the games with my son and grandson. It is a great family club and family can be anywhere. I've seen Hibs cheated by other teams, I've seen them cheated by officials, seen them dismissed by the media, seen them win against the odds, I've seen starships off Orion's Belt...where am I going with this? Oh yes, I've seen Hibs lose out to lesser teams and all the worst elements of Scottish football but I have never felt that anyone was better than Hibs. I appreciate that there are millions of football fans who feel the same way about their teams but very few with more good reasons. Play the Hibs way.

Great post :thumbsup:

My dad was born and bred in Grove Street, grew up a Jambo but didn't go to the games. My uncle, however, lived in McDonald Road and was a regular at Easter Road and thankfully, he rescued my brother and I and the rest is history. I also had the misfortune to grow up in Hearts area and attend a school populated by them during the Miller years....

The nearest claim I have to Leith is being born in the Elsie Inglis but it matters not a jot. GGTTH.

portycabbage
24-12-2015, 04:42 PM
Why would folk have a go at you? Unlike other teams, we are not niche nor focussed upon a certain element/s within society! As you know, we are a far reaching family and community club who stretch to reach out to many with an inclusive approach.

like you but as a 48 year old, I learned about Hibs at my local primary school :flag:

I'm surprised you were still able to attend your local primary school as a 48 year old!

Ronniekirk
24-12-2015, 04:46 PM
Have never lived in Edinburgh but grew up if Fife and had an uncle that lived in Easter Rd who took me to get a lift over the turnstiles Never looked back after that ,and when I moved to the West coast aged 19 ,still supported Hibs .Never had any problem except when I was 15 someone mistook me for someone that was in the Young Leith Team ( whoever you are I took a doing for you )
Love Leith and always feel at home there when visiting .

SkintHibby
24-12-2015, 05:58 PM
Sorry lads I did indeed have a few sherbets last night and apologies if anyone was offended.

Non Edinburgh Hibee and proud of it.

GGTTH.

Bostonhibby
24-12-2015, 06:02 PM
Sorry lads I did indeed have a few sherbets last night and apologies if anyone was offended.

GGTTH.

Nah, you got a good wee thread going!:aok:

It's inspired me to write to Hibs telling them that since the missus and me were born in Leith, lived our very early lives there and were also married in the Assembly rooms we are bloody annoyed that the club haven't been in touch about putting some statues of us up outside the ground.

SkintHibby
24-12-2015, 06:11 PM
For someone who has never lived in Edinburgh I consider the area around ER my spiritual home and I have many pre and post match memories both good and bad.

Nothing will ever beat walking down London Road onto Easter Road then Albion Road.

Pretty Boy
24-12-2015, 06:36 PM

GGTTH.

Don't think anyone was offended. Glad to have you and many more like you on board for the ride.

Mark79
24-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Brought up in Joppa. Dad is a hibby and my uncle was (died young but we'll known amongst the casuals I believe, I look a bit like him and been approached many times asking if I'm related)

Both my grandads were hibbies with one being good mates with Tom Hart. He is still going strong at 93.

Father in laws first question was "what football team do you support" (that's 3PMs dad)

Now have two girls one is 4 and one 6 months old. 4 year old been to her first game against Dumbarton this year and loves them.

calumhibee1
25-12-2015, 09:04 AM
Hibs are the best thing there has ever been. Nothing will ever compare. Proud to be part of it all

SausageSurprise
25-12-2015, 09:06 AM

GGTTH.

My club, you're club... A'bdys club

SausageSurprise
25-12-2015, 09:08 AM
Hibs are the best thing there has ever been. Nothing will ever compare. Proud to be part of it all

Even better than millionaire shortcake? I think we're getting a bit carried away now

:D

Keith_M
25-12-2015, 09:28 AM
Has he sobered up yet?

:greengrin

hibs0666
25-12-2015, 11:09 AM
Grew up in Gorgie but the loyalties of me & my family were never in doubt.

Diclonius
25-12-2015, 11:42 AM
I was born in Longstone and my Dad supported Celtic. I chose Hibs over Hearts purely at random.

Do I win?

Thecat23
25-12-2015, 12:00 PM

Great post!

ben johnson
25-12-2015, 12:09 PM

GGTTH.

Many a good Hibbie came out of West Lothian. We traveled on the Bathgate and District Hibs Supporters Club bus run by Willie Kay. Calling at Uphall, Bathgate , Armadale etc on a bus out of Harthill . All aboard ! Hun central in those days.

cabbageandribs1875
25-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Many a good Hibbie came out of West Lothian. We traveled on the Bathgate and District Hibs Supporters Club bus run by Willie Kay. Calling at Uphall, Bathgate , Armadale etc on a bus out of Harthill . All aboard ! Hun central in those days.

i think billy passed away a couple of years ago, i think i've saw billy junior at ER a couple of times but not saw him around town lately so not sure if he's even still in the area these days

eezyrider
25-12-2015, 02:39 PM
I was born in Elsie Inglis at Abbeyhill and lived in Meadowfield/ Willowbrae so technically I'm not a Leither - does that mean I qualify for half loyalty points????

The strange thing is I don't ever remember anyone referring to Hibs as from Leith until about the late 80s. Am I imagining that?

EZ

matty_f
25-12-2015, 07:42 PM

True story: My Grandad was a Rangers fan, he took my dad and his brother to see Hibs v Rangers in 1961, and my dad decided to follow Hibs.

I now take my son with me and my dad to Easter Road.

Happy Christmas!

HibbiesandtheBaddies
25-12-2015, 08:09 PM

GGTTH.

Relax! I am Uber Hibby. I grew up a mile fae the ground in a family of generations of Hibbies.

I decree that your Hibbyness is authentic and cannot be refuted. :agree:

rcarter1
25-12-2015, 08:52 PM
Pft!

I'M ENGLISH!

I know the feeling, and Im not even English! Hibiness exists beyond nationality, creed or any other identity. I think I even know some Hearts fans, who, deep in their souls are Hibees.

blackpoolhibs
25-12-2015, 09:11 PM
Is it possible to buy some as I was born in Leith and have hardly got any!

They are easy to get on the black market.

Scouse Hibee
25-12-2015, 09:26 PM
My name is Keith and that rhymes with Leith so I am uber from England.

Hibbyradge
25-12-2015, 09:37 PM
My name is Keith and that rhymes with Leith so I am uber from England.

My name is Dave which doesn't rhyme with PBS so I'm ever more uber and I live in England. :na na:

Super_JMcGinn
25-12-2015, 09:44 PM
I was born in Elsie Inglis at Abbeyhill and lived in Meadowfield/ Willowbrae so technically I'm not a Leither - does that mean I qualify for half loyalty points????The strange thing is I don't ever remember anyone referring to Hibs as from Leith until about the late 80s. Am I imagining that?EZMy dad was born in Elsie Inglis too and is the reason me and all my extended family support our beloved club. He used to take as many as 6 of us and more to Hibs Kids games and always seemed to be able to get us tickets for most of the big games.He was brought up in West Pilton and he never considered them a Leith club.

Scouse Hibee
25-12-2015, 10:28 PM
My name is Dave which doesn't rhyme with PBS so I'm ever more uber and I live in England. :na na:

Why do they call you Dave.........Rodney

Hibbyradge
25-12-2015, 10:35 PM
Why do they call you Dave.........Rodney

How long have you had that brush?

Tinribs
25-12-2015, 10:52 PM
How long have you had that brush?

Shush now! He got a medal for that brush :greengrin

SkintHibby
26-12-2015, 03:25 AM
I posted the original comment because I have had a few Hibees in the past question my Hibbyness because I did not use words like "barry" or "pagger".

I hate sectarianism and Hibs were and are the only big non sectarian football club in the central belt.

Forever and ever!

Fishwicke
26-12-2015, 06:35 AM
I was born in Elsie Inglis at Abbeyhill and lived in Meadowfield/ Willowbrae so technically I'm not a Leither - does that mean I qualify for half loyalty points????

The strange thing is I don't ever remember anyone referring to Hibs as from Leith until about the late 80s. Am I imagining that?

EZI think you are right about the Leith thing. It probably started with the Hib supporting Proclaimers and the release of their song Sunshine on Leith in 1988. The Hibernian FC official club badge has Edinburgh on it.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-12-2015, 06:55 AM

EZ

You'll likely know Hbs.net own MrWhite then?

Mr White
26-12-2015, 08:41 AM

Leave me out of this mate i was born in fife :worried:

Did indeed live on meadowfield terrace for many years though so yes it's possible. How is life in the area VP? House next door to yours sold yet?

SkintHibby
26-12-2015, 09:41 AM
Leave me out of this mate i was born in fife

May I convey my sincerest condolences. Hope you managed to get out before it was too late. :-)

eezyrider
26-12-2015, 12:53 PM

I don't think I've had the pleasure of meeting him. My paper round in the 1970s covered Meadowfield Terrace though. Didn't Davie Bowman (Hearts, Dundee United) live in that street?

EZ

Mr White
26-12-2015, 12:56 PM
I don't think I've had the pleasure of meeting him. My paper round in the 1970s covered Meadowfield Terrace though. Didn't Davie Bowman (Hearts, Dundee United) live in that street?

EZ
I'm a wee bit younger than you then :greengrin

We moved there in 81 and while i knew dave bowman lived in the area and went to parsons green I'd never heard of him living in the street.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-12-2015, 01:43 PM
Leave me out of this mate i was born in fife :worried:

Did indeed live on meadowfield terrace for many years though so yes it's possible. How is life in the area VP? House next door to yours sold yet?

Good thx although the gales dismantled the trampoline...
you coming back for the break? My bro getting married on 30th so a bit hectic.
the house hasn't sold but no wonder they'd have been better stopping before furnishing the extent they did - waste of time money just check the pics on espc.

James.
26-12-2015, 01:55 PM
I'm from a family of Celtic fans however, by the grace of God, I chose Hibs as my team from a young age (so young in fact that I can't remember the specific reason as to why!)

Was no fun being a Hibby through here growing up sometimes but wouldn't change it for the world! :flag:

Mr White
26-12-2015, 01:58 PM
Good thx although the gales dismantled the trampoline...
you coming back for the break? My bro getting married on 30th so a bit hectic.
the house hasn't sold but no wonder they'd have been better stopping before furnishing the extent they did - waste of time money just check the pics on espc.
Aye i had a look and it's not great. My mum just bought a place round in lady nairne so I'll be back in the new year to help her get sorted. All the best for new year mate!

Dashing Bob S
26-12-2015, 01:58 PM
My father was a ninth generation Leith sailor who knocked up my mother, a sixth generation 'lady of the night' from the Port. He dragged her to ER when she was in labour with me, and I was born in the pie stall of the old stand at half-time, him using an old rusty breadknife to cut the chord. He grabbed me and my haemorrhaging mother, escorting us back up to the stand for the second half, telling her to stop moaning because the team were shooting down the slope in the second half. At the full-time whistle mother had perished and father left us for the pub. Lying there, in the stand, in her blood, I was adopted by a family of gypsy's who trace their Hibernian lineage back way past Canon Hannon's priesthood in Limerick.

So please - don't talk to me about being a REAL Hibby.

One Day
26-12-2015, 03:13 PM
My father was a ninth generation Leith sailor who knocked up my mother, a sixth generation 'lady of the night' from the Port. He dragged her to ER when she was in labour with me, and I was born in the pie stall of the old stand at half-time, him using an old rusty breadknife to cut the chord. He grabbed me and my haemorrhaging mother, escorting us back up to the stand for the second half, telling her to stop moaning because the team were shooting down the slope in the second half. At the full-time whistle mother had perished and father left us for the pub. Lying there, in the stand, in her blood, I was adopted by a family of gypsy's who trace their Hibernian lineage back way past Canon Hannon's priesthood in Limerick.

Brill post

Bostonhibby
26-12-2015, 05:33 PM

So that's where the legendary gypsy curse came from[emoji6]

Seriously DBS, what a post! Hilarious.

SunshineOnLeith
26-12-2015, 05:44 PM
I posted the original comment because I have had a few Hibees in the past question my Hibbyness because I did not use words like "barry" or "pagger".

I hate sectarianism and Hibs were and are the only big non sectarian football club in the central belt.

Forever and ever!

Barry.

lord bunberry
26-12-2015, 09:09 PM
Barry.
Barry gadge