PDA

View Full Version : Hibs vs West Ham

SausageSurprise
23-12-2015, 10:31 PM
Does anyone have the line ups for the friendly against West Ham in 1998?

It was a 1-1 and Stevie Crawford scored a penalty. I've googled it a million times but can't seem to find anything about it. It's really just to see if many of the West Ham golden generation made an appearance that night or not

Michael
23-12-2015, 10:33 PM
This thread has line ups: http://www.hibeesbounce.com/showthread.php?72090-hibs-v-west-ham

iwasthere1972
24-12-2015, 01:57 AM
Does anyone have the line ups for the friendly against West Ham in 1998?

It was a 1-1 and Stevie Crawford scored a penalty. I've googled it a million times but can't seem to find anything about it. It's really just to see if many of the West Ham golden generation made an appearance that night or not

I happened to be at that game. Still got the ticket as well. I remember us getting and scoring a penalty but I couldn't have in a million years told you who the scorer was.

Smartie
24-12-2015, 07:34 AM
I remember hearing a good story about that game.

John Hartson was one of the hottest properties in English football at the time. He'd not long signed for West Ham from Arsenal for about £5 million before going on to join Wimbledon for £7.5 million not too long after.

This game saw him come up against Yogi Hughes who was by then playing CH for us and was in his early thirties. Seemingly Hartson was made up by this because Yogi had been his idol growing up, Yogi himself having been a rumbustious young striker (not unlike John Hartson) who had played for Swansea in the lower leagues for a short spell early in his career. Hartson went to watch Swansea regularly as a kid and was heavily influenced by him. He loved the fact that he got the chance to come head to head with his favourite player in this game. Seemingly Yogi was quite taken aback when Hartson told him this.

It doesn't seem so weird now that Swansea are a regular fixture in the Premier League.

zlatan
24-12-2015, 08:11 AM
I remember begging my dad to go to this match purely because I wanted to do the Abooooooooooooooooooooooooooou chant at Samassi Abou.

patlowe
24-12-2015, 08:23 AM
All I remember from that game was the West Ham fans shouting 'Abou' every time said player had the ball. Confused a few folk in the East.

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-12-2015, 08:59 AM
I remember hearing a good story about that game.

John Hartson was one of the hottest properties in English football at the time. He'd not long signed for West Ham from Arsenal for about £5 million before going on to join Wimbledon for £7.5 million not too long after.

This game saw him come up against Yogi Hughes who was by then playing CH for us and was in his early thirties. Seemingly Hartson was made up by this because Yogi had been his idol growing up, Yogi himself having been a rumbustious young striker (not unlike John Hartson) who had played for Swansea in the lower leagues for a short spell early in his career. Hartson went to watch Swansea regularly as a kid and was heavily influenced by him. He loved the fact that he got the chance to come head to head with his favourite player in this game. Seemingly Yogi was quite taken aback when Hartson told him this.

It doesn't seem so weird now that Swansea are a regular fixture in the Premier League.

Wimbledon paying £7.5 million pounds for a player makes you look twice though?

Smartie
24-12-2015, 09:34 AM
Wimbledon paying £7.5 million pounds for a player makes you look twice though?

Ever-presents in the Premier League at that point.

Changed days.

Juice-Terry
24-12-2015, 10:26 AM
My first ever Hibs game.

SausageSurprise
24-12-2015, 03:48 PM
This thread has line ups: http://www.hibeesbounce.com/showthread.php?72090-hibs-v-west-ham

Thanks. I remember the program was a big cup final size glossy double edition for both the West Ham and Barnsley games.

The Barnsley game was the naming of the Famous Five Stand with the 4 surviving members being there open it along with Bobby Johnstones wife/daughter and when they were introduced on the park Gordon Smith sprinted on iirc

Purple & Green
24-12-2015, 10:48 PM
Hibs - Gottskalksson, Renwick, Shannon, Dennis, Hughes, Dietrich, Harper, Skinner, Crawford, Lavety, McGinlay. Subs: Occo, Bannerman, Miller, Paton, Dempsey, Gardiner.

West Ham - Hislop, Sinclair, Hodges, Pearce, Potts, Coyne, Mean, Moncur, Hartson, Berkovic, Omoyinmi. Subs: Miklosko, Lampard, Boylan, Abou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SausageSurprise
24-12-2015, 10:54 PM
Hibs - Gottskalksson, Renwick, Shannon, Dennis, Hughes, Dietrich, Harper, Skinner, Crawford, Lavety, McGinlay. Subs: Occo, Bannerman, Miller, Paton, Dempsey, Gardiner.

West Ham - Hislop, Sinclair, Hodges, Pearce, Potts, Coyne, Mean, Moncur, Hartson, Berkovic, Omoyinmi. Subs: Miklosko, Lampard, Boylan, Abou

Jason Gardiner seemed to be around for years and years. Did he ever make a first team appearance??

I remember Chris Reid had a wee run when Olie the Goalie was having a mare then after we were 2 up at Fir Park after 7 minutes we lost 6-2 and soon after Bryan Gunn came in

Cabbage East
26-12-2015, 06:42 AM
I remember a couple of west ham fans that were, for some reason in the east stand just under the gantry. They got an absolute doing.

ACLeith
26-12-2015, 06:50 AM
Thanks. I remember the program was a big cup final size glossy double edition for both the West Ham and Barnsley games.

The Barnsley game was the naming of the Famous Five Stand with the 4 surviving members being there open it along with Bobby Johnstones wife/daughter and when they were introduced on the park Gordon Smith sprinted on iirc

I think Johnstone was there and it was Willie Ormond's widow. And the "Gay Gordon" did sprint across the pitch.

Onceinawhile
26-12-2015, 07:07 AM

I can figure out who all out players are, apart from occo?

Who's that?

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-12-2015, 07:37 AM
Probably should be Bocco.

Scouse Hibee
26-12-2015, 09:16 AM
Jason Gardiner seemed to be around for years and years. Did he ever make a first team appearance??

I remember Chris Reid had a wee run when Olie the Goalie was having a mare then after we were 2 up at Fir Park after 7 minutes we lost 6-2 and soon after Bryan Gunn came in

No Jason never made a first team appearance.

eastmainsmsh
26-12-2015, 09:42 AM
No Jason never made a first team appearance.

Thought he was a very good keeper as well

Scouse Hibee
26-12-2015, 10:09 AM
Thought he was a very good keeper as well

Yeah good lad too,worked with him for a couple of years after he packed in playing.

Purple & Green
27-12-2015, 06:48 PM
Occo had me scratching my head as I think boco had already left by then. Maybe some misspelt trialist. I think Jason never did play a competitive game for Hibs but did win a Scotland under 21 cap.

MartinfaePorty
27-12-2015, 06:54 PM
IIRC Jimmy Boco definitely came on as sub in a friendly that pre-season and promptly got fouled which resulted in him having to be subbed and never playing for us again.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk