PDA

View Full Version : Darren McGregor

Mango Man
20-12-2015, 04:03 PM
He has been a superb signing, no nonsense defender, not seen the guy lose a challenge in the air yet. The Rangers will be spewing at this excellent piece of buisness from Hibs.

erin go bragh
20-12-2015, 04:09 PM
Him , Fontaine and Hanlon are our best centre half's in years.

GGTTH

bingo70
20-12-2015, 04:13 PM
He has been a superb signing, no nonsense defender, not seen the guy lose a challenge in the air yet. The Rangers will be spewing at this excellent piece of buisness from Hibs.

Was thinking that yesterday, just a no frills, probably under appreciated centre half that you can rely on to do his job. Looking at Rangers yesterday it's absolutely bonkers they let him go.

Worth noting as well that despite qots having more of the ball than they probably should have they still managed to create absolutely nothing, huge credit to the whole back 4 (5 including oxley) for that.

green day
20-12-2015, 04:16 PM
One of the STV sports journos tweeted last night that he couldnt believe that Rangers deemed McGregor to be surplus to requirements............but kept Kiernan and Wilson !

It was indeed a very very strange set of decisions. Who cares, benefited us !

Just seems such a relaxed defender. If I had one (very minor) criticism, it would be that he should get forward more often - but, hey you cant have everything, eh?

Stuarty27
20-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Superb signing.

He is first choice centre half now, straight fight between Hanlon and Fontaine to play alongside him IMO.

lucky
20-12-2015, 04:34 PM
He's been a fantastic signing. He just does his job every week. The Huns must be spewing that they let him go especially to us

NAE NOOKIE
20-12-2015, 05:25 PM
Couldn't agree more, the guy has been a rock since he signed, which is why I was bloody annoyed yesterday when the crowd were getting on his back for not getting the ball up the park quicker ... the more they did it the worse his distribution got, you could feel his nerves kicking in. He is just the kind of never say die no nonsense defender we are going to rely on at Ibrox, but he isn't bloody Pique and folk need to remember that.

He's been a great signing http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

edwards
20-12-2015, 05:28 PM
He's been a fantastic signing. He just does his job every week. The Huns must be spewing that they let him go especially to us

Great signing him and Fontine played well as did our Captain and Lewis played well also

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Couldn't agree more, the guy has been a rock since he signed, which is why I was bloody annoyed yesterday when the crowd were getting on his back for not getting the ball up the park quicker ... the more they did it the worse his distribution got, you could feel his nerves kicking in. He is just the kind of never say die no nonsense defender we are going to rely on at Ibrox, but he isn't bloody Pique and folk need to remember that.

He's been a great signing http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gifYep, it is very easy to spot the ones who know nothing about football. Kick it long and give it away or keep it and look for an opening? Easy choice.

Onion
20-12-2015, 05:35 PM

If we win this league, the Scott Allan and Darren McGregor transfers will be seen as major factors that will stick in the gullets of the Huns for years to come. Has defence has been superb this season and that's all due to competition for places and the likes of McGregor.

B.H.F.C
20-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Yep, it is very easy to spot the ones who know nothing about football. Kick it long and give it away or keep it and look for an opening? Easy choice.

There's a difference between an aimless punt long and moving it quicker. And we needed to move it quicker. Like when we scored the goal. It wasn't exactly a great pass from McGinn but Anier made something of it. From the corner flag at our end to the ball being in the net only took a few seconds.

For too much of the game we did dither on the ball with it being passed between Fontain, McGregor and Oxley. We miss Hanlon who is better at bringing the ball out than the other two. That said, I'm pretty happy with any two of the three playing.

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2015, 05:45 PM
There's a difference between an aimless punt long and moving it quicker. And we needed to move it quicker. Like when we scored the goal. It wasn't exactly a great pass from McGinn but Anier made something of it. From the corner flag at our end to the ball being in the net only took a few seconds.

For too much of the game we did dither on the ball with it being passed between Fontain, McGregor and Oxley. We miss Hanlon who is better at bringing the ball out than the other two. That said, I'm pretty happy with any two of the three playing.There isn't when Cummings/Keatings are up front which was when the moaning was happening. Watch any big club who play passing football, their defenders can have the ball for a few minutes looking for a opening. Far better option than booting it long.

Seveno
20-12-2015, 05:50 PM

For too much of the game we did dither on the ball with it being passed between Fontain, McGregor and Oxley. We miss Hanlon who is better at bringing the ball out than the other two. That said, I'm pretty happy with any two of the three playing.

Exactly my thoughts.

B.H.F.C
20-12-2015, 06:02 PM
There isn't when Cummings/Keatings are up front which was when the moaning was happening. Watch any big club who play passing football, their defenders can have the ball for a few minutes looking for a opening. Far better option than booting it long.

Just listened to Graems Souness after the Swansea game talking about similar. They had 650 odd passes but had two shots on target in 90 minutes. Doesn't matter how much you pass it if you aren't going anywhere with it.

I'm not suggesting we just punt the ball up the park. But it needed moved forward quicker at times. Not just down to the centre halves, I thought the midfield were poor yesterday as well.

lord bunberry
20-12-2015, 06:07 PM
He's one of those players you barely notice is playing as he just does everything with the minimum of fuss. He absolutely strolls through games. How rangers thought he wasn't good enough is beyond me.

emerald green
20-12-2015, 06:22 PM
Excellent signing, a good footballer, and a Hibs supporter too.

Darren is like night and day, ability wise, compared to some of the donkeys that have played in defence for Hibs in recent seasons.

stevie-bee
20-12-2015, 06:24 PM
Bought a loaf of Warburton's for the first time this week. Was good at first, but went stale quicker than I expected.

bookert
20-12-2015, 06:49 PM
Yep, it is very easy to spot the ones who know nothing about football. Kick it long and give it away or keep it and look for an opening? Easy choice.
He's a decent defender, but I think we miss Hanlons distribution from the back, it means our midfield are struggling to accept passes from the back four, thought that against Falkirk and again yesterday.

wookie70
20-12-2015, 07:11 PM
McGregor has been excellent but I am puzzled why he isn't paired with Hanlon. Hanlon, imo, was our best centre half for the early part of the season and is by far the best passer between the three of them. They are all more than capable at this level but I think we have missed Hanlon's passing both in terms of accuracy and the speed he uses it. If we play 4 at the back against The Rangers then it would be Hanlon and McGregor in the centre for me. I think we will play all three next Monday though.

Greenworld
20-12-2015, 07:19 PM
Wow what is the problem we keep on winning yet something is not right I think everything is good paul might not be agreeing to a new contract or something u never know

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

bingo70
20-12-2015, 07:22 PM
Wow what is the problem we keep on winning yet something is not right I think everything is good paul might not be agreeing to a new contract or something u never know

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I think Stubbs likes to rotate his centre halfs to keep them all fresh and to ensure they've all got an understanding with each other.

I think the three of them are excellent and I couldn't pick the best two, against the Rangers I'd like all three to be playing.

Greenblood70
20-12-2015, 07:22 PM
What a great signing Darren has been, the bloke seems so modest and does his job quietly and effectively. Looks like he's loving life back in Leith.

pundy man
20-12-2015, 09:16 PM
He's one of our own.

Dream as a boy to play for Hibs and got here at last.

100% every week

bigwheel
20-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Agree with the OP. Top notch signing - getting better each week ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bay Area Hibees
20-12-2015, 10:28 PM
Great signing. Foster is great young player that hope we keep too. Stubbs knows his stuff no doubt. We have great options and another defender to come in, not sure where coverage is for?

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2015, 10:35 PM
Great signing. Foster is great young player that hope we keep too. Stubbs knows his stuff no doubt. We have great options and another defender to come in, not sure where coverage is for?We have no right back cover.

weecounty hibby
21-12-2015, 09:17 PM
Huns I know are spewing about McGregor leaving and joining us. Even worse when I inform them that they actually paid him to leave.😁

Sir David Gray
21-12-2015, 09:20 PM
We have no right back cover.

Gray and McGregor can both play at RB.

Danderhall Hibs
21-12-2015, 09:32 PM
Gray and McGregor can both play at RB.

Forster spent some time over there as well and was ok.

MWHIBBIES
21-12-2015, 09:36 PM
Gray and McGregor can both play at RB.I'd hope Gray can considering he plays there every week. McGregor is definitely a center back and didn't offer much width when he played right back in the league cup. Since we don't play with wingers our width comes purely from fullbacks and we'd lose a big offensive threat if Gray was to get a bad one and McGregor/Forster had to play there.