PDA

View Full Version : Time-wasting

theonlywayisup
20-12-2015, 09:33 AM
What frustrates you most about football? Well for me it is the time-wasting that is so popular amongst all teams. This is not a "let's get at QoTS" post, but time-wasting in general. All teams do it, to varying degrees! I've no doubt that Hibs will do it at Ibrox, as other teams (including The Rangers) have done at Easter Road.

We've seen many 'good' examples of time-wasting. I recall a Hibs-Hertz game at ER from a few years ago, when Hertz had a corner, the ball was cleared and the Hertz centre-back falls over (in our box delayed reaction style) forcing the ref to stop play when Hibs were on the attack. The ref stops play, the player goes off seemingly dazed and then makes a miracle recovery and waits to get back on the pitch, whilst the Hertz goalie returns the ball back to our goalie, after which the Hertz defender returns to the pitch. Not criticising Hertz in anyway, all teams do it and it is anti-football.

Other examples, the time to take goal-kicks (yes Oxley) & free kicks, the time to make substitutions (the slow walk off the pitch), the corner flag 'dance'. There are others and they are all anti-football.

So what can the football authorities do to eradicate time-wasting from our game? Well I've always been off the opinion that if a player needs a doctor to come onto the pitch for any situation then that player should be off for 5 minutes. So if the ref stops play because a player is down motionless, that player is off for 5 minutes to give him the time to recover from his obvious injury. I know it's not perfect, but it would, in my opinion, get rid of the majority of examples when a player just goes down to disrupt play and rob us punters of a minute of 'action'.

Others, put a time limit on substitutions - say 15 seconds. If there was, your own team mates would be helping you off the pitch if you really needed it.

Thoughts?

The Leith Dutch
20-12-2015, 09:51 AM
As much of the effectiveness of time wasting is based on injury time and the judgement of the officials - who a great many fans believe to be either inept or biased - replace injury time and play to 90 minutes with a visible clock which, like Rugby is stopped at specified times (e.g. a player being down or a restart).

Referee should only stop for head knocks and bin the culture of kicking the ball out of play when the opposition have a man down.

More controversially I'd also make it a free kick offence to take it to the corner and make no attempt to do anything other than stop the opposition getting the ball. People have paid money to watch a game of football and this taking it to the corner crap is nothing other than deliberately stopping the game.

Baader
20-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Play acting. Diving annoys me more than time-wasting.

Arch Stanton
20-12-2015, 10:04 AM
If players are strolling to the touchline the ref should restart the game as soon as they are off the pitch.

After all, substitutions were introduced as a way to improve the game which Hibs subs definitely did - the exact opposite with QoS.

Hibee87
20-12-2015, 10:08 AM
As much of the effectiveness of time wasting is based on injury time and the judgement of the officials - who a great many fans believe to be either inept or biased - replace injury time and play to 90 minutes with a visible clock which, like Rugby is stopped at specified times (e.g. a player being down or a restart).

Referee should only stop for head knocks and bin the culture of kicking the ball out of play when the opposition have a man down.

More controversially I'd also make it a free kick offence to take it to the corner and make no attempt to do anything other than stop the opposition getting the ball. People have paid money to watch a game of football and this taking it to the corner crap is nothing other than deliberately stopping the game.
I agree aboutvthe rugby style stop clock, but the corner thing you mentioned is just ridiculous. What next, a free kick for passing between the back 4

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-12-2015, 10:15 AM
Annoys me when you see a team wasting time with supposed injuries , and the tide turns and they go a goal down, they then get the injury time to work in their favour. Not sure how practical it would be to control that though other than to be a bit firmer to stop it happening in the first place. Making a rule that keepers couldn't pick up deliberate passbacks was a measure to stop time wasting.

Godsahibby
20-12-2015, 10:18 AM
It is frustrating but part of the game. Our own players are guilty of it, how many bookings has Oxley picked up this season for wasting time at kicks. At the Rangers game every single one of us were shouting to kill the game.

Eyrie
20-12-2015, 10:34 AM
The solution to players feigning injury to disrupt the game is very simple - allow the physio on to treat an "injured" player whilst play continues.

high bee
20-12-2015, 10:40 AM

If we're keeping injury time then a time limit should be there for subs as someone else mentioned. if the player doesn't leave the field in 15 seconds then the substitution should be lost (i.e. If they had 1 sub left they now have none) and the player that should have left the field should be booked, to avoid it being a time wasting measure in itself. To make this fair the player should be allowed to leave at a sideline close to him rather than walk to the dugout. As an added measure the play should restart bang on 15 seconds so if they take 15 seconds to leave the field then the plate may restarts immediately, so if they want someone to defend a corner, like on Saturday, they need to get a shift on. Obviously the team making the change can signal to start play before the 15 seconds is up so that if it is a positive change and they don't want more seconds to pass.

On the injury side, If a player goes down injured and the opposition is on the attack then play should continue unless it's a head injury. If it's a head injury then the play should be stopped an the team on the attck should be awarded a free kick in the position they were last in possession.

The Leith Dutch
20-12-2015, 10:40 AM
I agree aboutvthe rugby style stop clock, but the corner thing you mentioned is just ridiculous. What next, a free kick for passing between the back 4

I think there's a difference there - passing between the back four isn't great but the opposition have options to press them for the ball which may lead to some decent football - either a chance for those chasing or them over committing.

My problem with the take it to the corner stuff is that you leave the team pressing for the ball little option but to kick the player shielding.
I'm thinking you get a 2 or 3 second use it or lose it window. Maybe even a drop ball as that seems to work out well for us :greengrin

O'Rourke3
20-12-2015, 10:48 AM
I think there's a difference there - passing between the back four isn't great but the opposition have options to press them for the ball which may lead to some decent football - either a chance for those chasing or them over committing.

My problem with the take it to the corner stuff is that you leave the team pressing for the ball little option but to kick the player shielding.
I'm thinking you get a 2 or 3 second use it or lose it window. Maybe even a drop ball as that seems to work out well for us :greengrin
Cant agree with this one . Keeping possesion is part of the game. I'm still beeling at the ref giving Celtic a free kick in the Tennants sixes when Hibs simply kept the ball moving....

Sent via the bushes @ EM

weecounty hibby
20-12-2015, 10:49 AM
Allow the physio onto the park as play continues. This will allow quicker treatment if someone is actually injured as they don't have to wait on the ref allowing them on and will also stop the bull**** melodramatics from the ****in great big pansies that play the game nowadays.

Newry Hibs
20-12-2015, 10:56 AM
Don't know why play has to stop for a substitution to be made anyway. There's a fourth official who can make sure there's only 11 on the pitch at any one time. Of the exception is when a player is down injured and needs to be carried off (I see about physios on during paly has been mentioned). I suppose the trouble is all 90th minute subs will suddenly be for 'injuries' with the player going down hurt.

Geo_1875
20-12-2015, 10:57 AM
Stop the clock for injuries. Referee shouldn't stop play except for head knocks. No tactical substitutions in added time.

Hawick hibee
20-12-2015, 11:16 AM
Why not just let the physio on as the game continues no need to time waste with injuries then, the player getting the treatment can leave the field with the physio and await to be allowed on but the game has not stopped. It works in rugby as the game would only stop if serious injury occurred highlighted by doctor or physio. Football could learn loads from rugby no fake injuries as the game doesn't stop, the way the players conduct themselves with officials really puts footballers to shame at times.... Rant over, If the queens player (Kyle Hutton) never faked a head injury yesterday they would have taken a point yesterday so instead of blaming the referee take a look at the player who held his head seemingly injured and proceeded to jump up once the play had stopped only to find the physio running towards him. Is this the Rangers Kyle Hutton if so cheers Kyle done us a favour ya dafty.....

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-12-2015, 11:27 AM
Stop the clock for injuries. Referee shouldn't stop play except for head knocks. No tactical substitutions in added time.

I think that there is something in the subbies changes. As this is part and parcel of the game, l don't see why there are extra minutes added on. You know who is coming on for who. 30 seconds and it is over. Any longer is time wasting. Book the player coming off for dissent.

Andy74
20-12-2015, 11:56 AM
Why not just let the physio on as the game continues no need to time waste with injuries then, the player getting the treatment can leave the field with the physio and await to be allowed on but the game has not stopped. It works in rugby as the game would only stop if serious injury occurred highlighted by doctor or physio. Football could learn loads from rugby no fake injuries as the game doesn't stop, the way the players conduct themselves with officials really puts footballers to shame at times.... Rant over, If the queens player (Kyle Hutton) never faked a head injury yesterday they would have taken a point yesterday so instead of blaming the referee take a look at the player who held his head seemingly injured and proceeded to jump up once the play had stopped only to find the physio running towards him. Is this the Rangers Kyle Hutton if so cheers Kyle done us a favour ya dafty.....

It works in rugby because it's far more predictable where the play is going. Generally nowhere fast.

Onion
20-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Agreed. Time wasting by a team trying desperately not to get beat is anti-football, much worse than a team trying to retain a lead. QOS were a great example of this yesterday.

So when a goal is scored in the last min of injury time against a side like that, it smacks of justice and feels great.

Ronniekirk
20-12-2015, 12:13 PM
They were at it at every opportunity towards the end of the game ,and for that alone deserved to get beat .We are paying top dollar to watch championship football and they were so brazenly doing it .At one point the players being subbed looked as if they were static they were so slow coming off , then they were feigning injury and taking the piss IMO ,and agree I think the ref had had enough of it .
Made the winner so mutch sweeter though and got the fans pumped up

greenlex
20-12-2015, 03:38 PM
It works in rugby because it's far more predictable where the play is going. Generally nowhere fast.

What does it matter where the play is going? Get on with the game. If a player is being treated on the park they should be judged to have left the field of play. They should also have to leave the field of play after being treated until they are waved back on as it is now. If the player or Physio inadvertently interferes with play whilst on the pitch it should be treated in the same way as when the ref does.
Adopting this would stop timewasting and actually get physics on to the players that actually need treated quicker. Jobs a good un.
Fourth official dealing with subs rather than stopping the game is a decent shout too.

Ricky Bobby
20-12-2015, 03:58 PM
Oxley is very guilty of wasting time when we are winning, but it always seems to be counter productive because we seem to develop a sit back and defend what we have attitude. You can also sense the crowd getting nervous when we play like that.
QoS got what they deserved yesterday. Too much play acting going on.

Eyrie
20-12-2015, 06:54 PM

Actually, it works in rugby because players only go down injured during open play when they are genuinely injured. And rugby is a sport with real physical contact compared to football.

A football pitch is more than large enough for play to continue whilst a player is treated.

Holmesdale Hibs
20-12-2015, 07:46 PM
Time wasting, diving, faking injury are all peeves of most football fans. All forms of dishonest cheating although I realise that sounds a bit silly. Sad thing is, teams are considered 'nieve' if they don't participate.

FIFA also piss me off. I can't think of a more corrupt organisation in the history of the planet.

AZhibee
20-12-2015, 08:07 PM
Perhaps just accept it as part of the game?

Stopping the clock for injuries makes sense.

Attempt to make it more counterproductive, guy goes down with injury for 1 minute could result in 2 minutes added on depending on circumstance.

Penalize goal kick stalls or similar with a 1 minute add on, Oxley alone could cause a half to go over 55 minutes with this one. Penalize slow walk offs with a yellow card, and a 2 minute add on.

Publically shame time wasters on Internet chat boards.

hibbytam
20-12-2015, 08:08 PM

That really irritated me yesterday. They took it in the corner to waste time, when it was 0-0 and there was 5-10 minutes to go. How little ambition must you have to do that?

I don't mind it so much when the team are winning, it's entirely within the rules and upto the other team to take the ball back, and I certainly won't complain if hibs are doing that next week when we're winning. But to do it at 0-0 when the other team are having an off day isn't on.

Sammy7nil
20-12-2015, 09:09 PM
The solution to players feigning injury to disrupt the game is very simple - allow the physio on to treat an "injured" player whilst play continues.

And if the injury is in the six yd box right in front of goal? It works in rugby as the try line is the width of the pitch and the fact the player is injured most of the time. Remember the blood rule incident

Eyrie
20-12-2015, 10:10 PM
And if the injury is in the six yd box right in front of goal? It works in rugby as the try line is the width of the pitch and the fact the player is injured most of the time. Remember the blood rule incident

Obviously common sense would apply if the incident was in the box, but how often does that happen?

The reason that rugby players are actually injured most of the time is precisely because play does not stop for them to be treated, so there is no gain in feigning injury.

PatHead
20-12-2015, 10:11 PM
The biggest point is a player might actually be injured and not faking it. If you force him to stay off for 5 minutes you are disadvantaging the team who have had a player fouled.

The simplest thing is to add realistic time on and if the ref feels time is being wasted book the culprit. Basically apply the rules as they stand.

Sammy7nil
20-12-2015, 10:15 PM
Obviously common sense would apply if the incident was in the box, but how often does that happen?

The reason that rugby players are actually injured most of the time is precisely because play does not stop for them to be treated, so there is no gain in feigning injury.

I love the first sentence obviously common sense would apply :greengrin:wink:

Eyrie
20-12-2015, 10:16 PM
I love the first sentence obviously common sense would apply :greengrin:wink:

OK, so we agree that there's not a snowball in hell's chance of this happening then :cb

bob12345
20-12-2015, 10:39 PM

It's a fair point. Whilst 95% of the time the injured player wouldn't get in the way, no doubt they would from time to time. Could see a physio-gate or two with defence splitting passes being blocked. An injury in the box, I think play would have to be stopped. What about just outside it... Could teams tactically create an injury there to stop the opposition shooting from 25yds.

I'd certainly like to see it trialled though. Something needs.to change and this would be worth a shot.

marleyhib
21-12-2015, 12:11 PM
Time wasting gets my goat. Would be up for rolling subs for starters, was saying as much at the game on Saturday.

Newry Hibs
21-12-2015, 12:26 PM
I think if refs added on the correct time at the end to negate the time wasting - this would help. Luton scored a winner on 90 +10 on Saturday. No idea why so much was added on, but if there were more matches this long then time wasting as a tactic wouldn't be so profitable.

Radium
21-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Slightly off topic but have always thought that the game should be restarted with an indirect free kick to the team who were in possession when the ref stopped play.

Geo_1875
21-12-2015, 12:40 PM
Slightly off topic but have always thought that the game should be restarted with an indirect free kick to the team who were in possession when the ref stopped play.

That makes sense as few bounce-balls are contested nowadays. And it would stop the smart ***** who lump the ball out of play in the corner or for a bye kick.

snooky
21-12-2015, 01:19 PM
I think if refs added on the correct time at the end to negate the time wasting - this would help. Luton scored a winner on 90 +10 on Saturday. No idea why so much was added on, but if there were more matches this long then time wasting as a tactic wouldn't be so profitable.
Agreed but also the feigned injury is a tactic used to take the heat out of the game if the player's team is under pressure.
I hope the players who fake injury get their just desserts of blame when a player who has a serious injury is ignored in error
Crying wolf can have dangerous implications.

Smartie
22-12-2015, 08:20 AM
There's something quite funny about us getting wound up about this the week before we go to Ibrox.

It's part of the game and on occasion every team will employ it.

What you have to do is do it well and if it explodes in your face (like it did with Queens on Saturday) then you can't really say anything about it.

If we use it for half an hour on Saturday (and if we're in front I'd fully expect us to do so) and get away with it we'll all talk about how well we managed the end of the game. If we lose an equaliser in the 12th minute of injury time as the result of a drop-ball following a feigned injury we can piss and moan about it but we'll only have ourselves to blame for not putting the game to bed earlier.

s.a.m
22-12-2015, 08:29 AM
There's something quite funny about us getting wound up about this the week before we go to Ibrox.

It's part of the game and on occasion every team will employ it.

What you have to do is do it well and if it explodes in your face (like it did with Queens on Saturday) then you can't really say anything about it.

If we use it for half an hour on Saturday (and if we're in front I'd fully expect us to do so) and get away with it we'll all talk about how well we managed the end of the game. If we lose an equaliser in the 12th minute of injury time as the result of a drop-ball following a feigned injury we can piss and moan about it but we'll only have ourselves to blame for not putting the game to bed earlier.

Quite.

Onion
22-12-2015, 08:56 AM
Oxley is very guilty of wasting time when we are winning, but it always seems to be counter productive because we seem to develop a sit back and defend what we have attitude. You can also sense the crowd getting nervous when we play like that.
QoS got what they deserved yesterday. Too much play acting going on.

Harsh on Ox, no worse than any other keeper. For some reason the QOS keeper had to have a drink of water every time the ball went behind him, except strangely in the 94th min 😏

Bill Milne
22-12-2015, 09:38 AM
The upside to time-wasting is the enormous joy for the fans when the offending team is caught with their pants down, as happened on Saturday. I recall a similar game against Dundee United when Alex Smith and his coaches were openly laughing on the touchline at their sides blatant time-wasting, when the ref gave a penalty for Matty Jack for an obvious dive deep into injury time and Latapy rapped it in for a 1-0 win to us. IIRC Alan Combe was also sent off after the final whistle for cracking up at the officials.

lord bunberry
22-12-2015, 09:45 AM

Football players will do anything to gain an advantage, they will just make sure they go down in an area where the game has to be stopped.

147lothian
23-12-2015, 02:15 AM
The upside to time-wasting is the enormous joy for the fans when the offending team is caught with their pants down, as happened on Saturday. I recall a similar game against Dundee United when Alex Smith and his coaches were openly laughing on the touchline at their sides blatant time-wasting, when the ref gave a penalty for Matty Jack for an obvious dive deep into injury time and Latapy rapped it in for a 1-0 win to us. IIRC Alan Combe was also sent off after the final whistle for cracking up at the officials.

Aye a remember that one too, the ref had just spoke to the utd player for I think it was putting his arms round Jack and verbal abuse? The ref looked away, Jack took a dive as if he had been kicked and the ref pointed to the spot, the joy at the final whistle, was the same as the QoS game, there is a real sense of justice in beating teams who blatantly time waste for a draw!

AZhibee
23-12-2015, 04:16 AM

Thought this myself, but then again this could lead to even more time wasting...kind of like widening a road, just brings more drivers.

Keith_M
23-12-2015, 06:56 AM
How about booking players who feign injury. Some of them are so blatant it'd be easy to decide if it merits a booking.

If that's not acceptable, then a player that goes down appearing to be badly injured must leave the field, and stay off for a minimum time, e.g. five minutes.

If they really are as badly injured as they're making out, then the manager can make a substitution.

Geo_1875
23-12-2015, 07:07 AM
How about booking players who feign injury. Some of them are so blatant it'd be easy to decide if it merits a booking.

If that's not acceptable, then a player that goes down appearing to be badly injured must leave the field, and stay off for a minimum time, e.g. five minutes.

If they really are as badly injured as they're making out, then the manager can make a substitution.

As long as you include goalkeepers in this. They get away with murder now. They should have to leave the field after treatment like every other player.

Keith_M
23-12-2015, 07:12 AM
As long as you include goalkeepers in this. They get away with murder now. They should have to leave the field after treatment like every other player.

Definitely.

snooky
23-12-2015, 08:14 AM
It's really up to the players to stop this. As a professional body they should be policing themselves with regards to the whole unsavoury business of cheating by diving or feigning injury.
I recall Rob Jones chastising Latapy for diving at ER. Well done big man, I thought at the time.

lapsedhibee
23-12-2015, 08:42 AM
It's really up to the players to stop this. I recall Rob Jones chastising Latapy for diving at ER. Well done big man, I thought at the time.
Hard to imagine which individual player at Liverpuddle might have called out Gerrard, though, or who at Manchester United Rooney, when they did it.

Keith_M
23-12-2015, 09:35 AM
Hard to imagine which individual player at Liverpuddle might have called out Gerrard, though, or who at Manchester United Rooney, when they did it.

Considering this has become a common tactic employed and condoned by lots of Managers, I doubt this is going to happen.

lapsedhibee
23-12-2015, 10:31 AM
Considering this has become a common tactic employed and condoned by lots of Managers, I doubt this is going to happen.

:agree: If Moronho gets the gig at MU, he and Ashley Young are going to be a Special Combination.

leggeto
23-12-2015, 10:37 AM
If your going to do it,do it properly and take it to the flag durie was good at it,play acting does my nut in,but when players go down holding their head there's nothing much else the ref can do but stop the game

HappyHanlon
23-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Every team does it - nothing new and won't change.

It's especially crap when you have 3-1 on your coupon and the players take the ball into the corner at 2-1

Prof. Shaggy
23-12-2015, 12:21 PM

Aye a remember that one too, the ref had just spoke to the utd player for I think it was putting his arms round Jack and verbal abuse? The ref looked away, Jack took a dive as if he had been kicked and the ref pointed to the spot, the joy at the final whistle, was the same as the QoS game, there is a real sense of justice in beating teams who blatantly time waste for a draw!

Dive!!??
Wash your mouth with carbolic!
:grr:
I think if you check the YouTube highlights, you'll see the DU defender clearly stamp down the back of Matty's Achilles.

Matty had taken a throw-in United wanted played back to them and the defender was getting some retaliation in.

I can't imagine that anyone jumping in pain the way Matty did would expect to be awarded a penalty.
It was our good luck the ref was the idiosyncratic and incompetent Freeland.