PDA

View Full Version : Formation - Midfield in particular

PPZPOL
20-12-2015, 07:28 AM
Interesting to see how we set up next week, I assume similar to how we did when we beat them at ER recently. Yesterday it seemed that Fyvie was being overrun when we didn't have the ball, quite isolated and it gave QOS mids a bit more time on ball than you'd probably like.
I know we now set up differently depending on the team we are playing which is what happens when you have both a good manager and a good squad to adapt. This can only be a good thing as we literally have about 5 forwards we can start or bring on so other teams have no idea what we are going to do. Absolutely love to watch us now, for all the work AS has done with the club this is the first time he's not been chasing a huge gap and he deserves this chance to give it a real go - I think he'll show his class even more now.
GGTTH

Ozyhibby
20-12-2015, 07:54 AM
We will sit in next week and hit them on the break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2015, 07:59 AM
We were a man short in midfield yesterday but we didn't have many options with McGeough and Bartley both out. This was a problem either side of half time but in the first 20 we should have been 2-0 up and cruising.

Most important thing about Ibrox is being clinical, we had chances last time there and missed them and it cost us. Defensively they are rubbish IMO.

J-C
20-12-2015, 08:19 AM
The 3 in the midfield works well but yesterday was a day to forget from Fyvie and McGinn didn't have his best game either. Henderson gives you the energy missing from McGeouch, as does McGinn but Fyvie's passing and tackling yesterday was a big disappointment and needs to improve drastically, TBH I would like to see 3 at the back and a midfield of Henderson, McGinn and McGeouch.

PPZPOL
20-12-2015, 08:32 AM
The 3 in the midfield works well but yesterday was a day to forget from Fyvie and McGinn didn't have his best game either. Henderson gives you the energy missing from McGeouch, as does McGinn but Fyvie's passing and tackling yesterday was a big disappointment and needs to improve drastically, TBH I would like to see 3 at the back and a midfield of Henderson, McGinn and McGeouch.

I think Fyvie's performance was affected by being a man light in there. Great having options though. I was pleasantly surprised at Anier, for some reason thought he wouldn't be so mobile. Seems to look like he'll mix it as well which I think we miss when Cummings and Malonga play as they don't contest balls in the air very well.

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2015, 08:35 AM
The 3 in the midfield works well but yesterday was a day to forget from Fyvie and McGinn didn't have his best game either. Henderson gives you the energy missing from McGeouch, as does McGinn but Fyvie's passing and tackling yesterday was a big disappointment and needs to improve drastically, TBH I would like to see 3 at the back and a midfield of Henderson, McGinn and McGeouch.Fyvie was easily our best player until the last 20 when McGinn starting running things.

Fyvie has been excellent for weeks, it is really strange that people don't see it. Everything we do goes through him, he covers for both fullbacks when they go forward, he transitions the ball between defense and attack, is always available for a pass, works extremely hard closing down all over the park and is getting better every week. Class player who is easily one of the first names on the team sheet.

Onion
20-12-2015, 08:52 AM
Fyvie was the only midfielder functioning yesterday. McGinn was out of sorts and Henderson missing for long spells. This left Fyvie as the only effective driver and defender in midfield and he was over-run. QOS dominated that area. Luckily they had zero up front and our back 4 coped with everything they hey had.

Sevco will be completely different challenge. Their arrogance will ensure they attack us from KO at Ibrox and Stubbs will set the team up to counter that. In many ways, playing the Huns is easier than QOS.

hibs0666
20-12-2015, 08:56 AM
Every player from middle to front in the starting eleven had a howler. Unfair to pick on any of them as they err all equally bad. But we won and that's all that matters.

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2015, 09:00 AM
Every player from middle to front in the starting eleven had a howler. Unfair to pick on any of them as they err all equally bad. But we won and that's all that matters.Henderson and McGinn were brilliant in the last 20. They also would have had assists in the first half if Keatings (from Hendersons cross) and Boyle (from McGinns ball over the top) had scored easy chances.

Fyvie was very good throughout.

Northernhibee
20-12-2015, 09:01 AM
Fyvie was the only midfielder functioning yesterday. McGinn was out of sorts and Henderson missing for long spells. This left Fyvie as the only effective driver and defender in midfield and he was over-run. QOS dominated that area. Luckily they had zero up front and our back 4 coped with everything they hey had.

Sevco will be completely different challenge. Their arrogance will ensure they attack us from KO at Ibrox and Stubbs will set the team up to counter that. In many ways, playing the Huns is easier than QOS.

Sevco's confidence is evaporating rapidly and you can see on RangersMedia that their support is already getting on their back. A win next week and they'll crumble.

Hibee87
20-12-2015, 09:05 AM

Your spot on, last season's results proved that. The huns expect to attack usfeom ko. Hibs are 10 rtimes better at sitting in and hitting in break that every other team, and its exactly what we wikl do. Oh and our defence is prett solid compared to the rest

Pretty Boy
20-12-2015, 09:05 AM
Every player from middle to front in the starting eleven had a howler. Unfair to pick on any of them as they err all equally bad. But we won and that's all that matters.

Don't think that's fair.

Fontaine was an absolute rock at the back and was a large part of why we dragged ourselves over the line imo. His distribution wasn't always great but a lot of that was due to a lack of options showing short in midfield so he was having to go long. I also thought Stevenson has a pretty decent game. Fyvie started well but as said above was totally overrun at times, he was always willing to take the ball under pressure and trying to make telling passes.

I think part of the problem yesterday was we got increasingly anxious as time ticked by and started trying to make passes that were never on and force the game. That's not something we have been guilty of this season and there will be many nervy games between now and seasons end so hopefully Stubbs can make sure it doesn't become a habit.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-12-2015, 09:07 AM
Like the idea of a back four with Bartley sweeping in front. Not sure where he is with his fitness though.

Tyler Durden
20-12-2015, 09:08 AM
Fyvie's distribution was terrible yesterday, it was quite plain to see. No doubt he's a good player but he was very poor yesterday.

Pretty Boy
20-12-2015, 09:09 AM
Like the idea of a back four with Bartley sweeping in front. Not sure where he is with his fitness though.

I don't think Bartley will be fit. Think it will be January for him.

I wonder if Hanlon will be asked to play that role though.

jacomo
20-12-2015, 10:06 AM

That would be my first choice too, with someone else at DM if Bartley isn't fit. I think a back 3 offers space for Wallace and Tavenier to exploit.

J-C
20-12-2015, 03:27 PM
That would be my first choice too, with someone else at DM if Bartley isn't fit. I think a back 3 offers space for Wallace and Tavenier to exploit.

Not if you have 2 wingers or wingbacks pushing up on them and keeping them occupied, Rangers play with 2 wide man and Waghorn on his own, keep the wide guys busy and expose their weakness in the middle and at the back.

trev the hat
20-12-2015, 03:36 PM
I think Dom & Dylan will replace Boyle & Keats 442.
If all fit of course.

Sir David Gray
20-12-2015, 03:37 PM
What's the script with McGeouch?

People were saying last week that he was touch and go for the Falkirk game and that he would definitely be back for yesterday's game and obviously he didn't even make the bench.

Has he had a relapse?

If he's fit, he would be one of the first names on the teamsheet but match fitness would be a concern.