PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Hill

Colr
19-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Brown bread.

Supplied the fuel for quite a bit of banter with Scotland fans in his day.

Big impact on the game including opening up the wage structure RIP

heretoday
19-12-2015, 01:52 PM
One of the best pundits because he was articulate and he knew what he was talking about.

YehButNoBut
19-12-2015, 01:52 PM
Never well liked in Scotland but did have an influence on the game down south RIP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35141430

Jimmy Hill, one of English football's most influential figures, has died aged 87. As chairman of the Professional Footballers' Association, he led the campaign for the scrapping of maximum wages for professional footballers.
The former Match of the Day presenter made more than 600 appearances on the programme.
His other numerous roles in football included player, manager, chairman and analyst.

He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 2008.
In a statement, his agent, Jane Morgan, said: "It is with great sadness that Bryony Hill and the children of Jimmy Hill have announced that Jimmy passed away peacefully aged 87 after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease. Bryony was beside him."

Pretty Boy
19-12-2015, 01:54 PM
My memory of him is that he was generally worth listening to when he commented on all things football related, whether you agreed with him or not.

Horrible illness he was suffering from and I hope he's at peace now.

Scottie
19-12-2015, 02:01 PM
My memory of him is that he was generally worth listening to when he commented on all things football related, whether you agreed with him or not.

Horrible illness he was suffering from and I hope he's at peace now.
:agree: RIP

Jones28
19-12-2015, 02:05 PM
Heard an interview with his wife on the sportsound podcast a couple of months back. Heartbreaking to see anyone with Alzheimer's. RIP

Fife-Hibee
19-12-2015, 02:16 PM
Rip

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-12-2015, 02:29 PM
He was always aware that he was on the wind-up when it came to Scottish footie fans but he was a real football man.

Mr White
19-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Did a lot of charity work quietly and without fuss apparently. RIP.

tamig
19-12-2015, 03:51 PM
Heard an interview with his wife on the sportsound podcast a couple of months back. Heartbreaking to see anyone with Alzheimer's. RIP

Heard that too. Very sad. RIP Jimmy Hill.

snooky
19-12-2015, 03:53 PM
I like the characters in the game & Jimmy 'Toe-poke' Hill was certainly one of them.
Sad to hear of his illness and death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pal-KiZogo

wookie70
19-12-2015, 03:57 PM
Great shout from my mate - A wee chorus of we hate Jimmy Hill, Rest in Peace should go up. I suspect the singing boysvare a few decades too young to know the song.

Thecat23
19-12-2015, 04:26 PM
He always said he took the banter with the Scottish fans as just that. All in good fun! Done loads for the game and many charities. One of the good ones from back in the day.

--------
19-12-2015, 05:08 PM
One of the great men of British football.

Besides his work for the PFA and for Coventry City he was a very intelligent and perceptive commentator on the game and a true gentleman.

Very sorry to hear he's gone, but I suspect his death will be a merciful release from a horrible illness.

All respect, Jimmy. You've been sadly missed.

Forza Fred
19-12-2015, 05:34 PM
A good guy with a mischievous sense of humour.

Took the lambasting he received for his toe poke comment as it was intended, just banter.

Was a great ambassador for the game.

Sergey
19-12-2015, 06:40 PM

Besides his work for the PFA and for Coventry City he was a very intelligent and perceptive commentator on the game and a true gentleman.

Very sorry to hear he's gone, but I suspect his death will be a merciful release from a horrible illness.

Well said, Doddie.

FWIW, even up until his illness got the better of him, he was still involved in the game with Corinthian Casuals. He was made Life President and it will be interesting to read their statement.

Right up until the end he understood the importance of football at grass-root level.

I didn't always agree with his views, but he knew a lot more about the game than I will ever know.

cabbageandribs1875
19-12-2015, 06:45 PM
iirc he took the little ditty scotland fans sang about him on the chin(and what a chin it was) heard him speak quite highly of scotland and he loved the 'banter' he had with us scots, horrible illness he had as well RIP jimmy hill

marinello59
19-12-2015, 06:50 PM

Spot on Doddie.

--------
19-12-2015, 09:41 PM
Spot on Doddie.

Having stood at Hampden when the choir was in full voice, I'm sorry to say there wasn't a lot of 'good nature' about the 'banter' directed at him. Not that I could detect, anyway.

As an administrator he was way ahead of his time, and if we had a few more like him running football today the game might be in a much better state.

Sunderland fans don't like him- he delayed the KO of a relegation decider against Bristol City for ten minutes to allow overspill afns into the ground. Ten minutes from the end of the Coventry game the result of the Sunderland match - they lost 2-0 - was flashed up on the electronic scoreboard (told you he was ahead of his time - this was 1977) and Coventry played the last 10 minutes making absolutely sure they didn't lose rather than trying to win.

Sunderland were relegated and not best pleased. It's never been quite decided whether it was mischief or misunderstanding - in other words whether the whole thing was a calculation on Hill's part to gain an obvious advantage, or a matter of good intentions and crossed lines among the City admin staff ...

( Do I hear a chorus of 'Aye, right' from the cynics among us? :devil:)

TBH, in the same circumstances I would hope that OUR CEO and board would display the same dedication and ingenuity to keep US in the top division (supposing we ever get back there... :wink:).

And Coventry were hs team ...

Pretty Boy
19-12-2015, 09:44 PM
Having stood at Hampden when the choir was in full voice, I'm sorry to say there wasn't a lot of 'good nature' about the 'banter' directed at him. Not that I could detect, anyway.

As an administrator he was way ahead of his time, and if we had a few more like him running football today the game might be in a much better state.

Sunderland fans don't like him- he delayed the KO of a relegation decider against Bristol City for ten minutes to allow overspill afns into the ground. Ten minutes from the end of the Coventry game the result of the Sunderland match - they lost 2-0 - was flashed up on the electronic scoreboard (told you he was ahead of his time - this was 1977) and Coventry played the last 10 minutes making absolutely sure they didn't lose rather than trying to win.

Sunderland were relegated and not best pleased. It's never been quite decided whether it was mischief or misunderstanding - in other words whether the whole thing was a calculation on Hill's part to gain an obvious advantage, or a matter of good intentions and crossed lines among the City admin staff ...

( Do I hear a chorus of 'Aye, right' from the cynics among us? :devil:)

TBH, in the same circumstances I would hope that OUR CEO and board would display the same dedication and ingenuity to keep US in the top division (supposing we ever get back there... :wink:).

So he (maybe) screwed over Sunderland?

He's just gone way up in my estimation and I always liked him anyway.

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-12-2015, 09:45 PM
Just seen the wee tribute to him on SKY Sports. He did an awful lot for the game. Not sure I knew all that

MGmick
19-12-2015, 10:00 PM
Liked, loathed or laughed at. The man certainly made a mark in every aspect of the game and deserves to be remembered.

Baader
19-12-2015, 10:17 PM
A man who truly cared for the game. Gains my respect for that.

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2015, 10:30 PM
In the game on and off the pitch and then in the media he was a massive influence on all things football. RIP a true football man in every sense of the word.

NAE NOOKIE
19-12-2015, 11:45 PM
Rip

givescotlandfreedom
20-12-2015, 12:54 AM
He was in the Balmoral Hotel on the night of my brother's school leavers' dance IIRC and came through and had some good natured chat with everyone and took part in a bit of banter about the usual. He later went to the effort to write to the school in praise of the pupils' attitutudes and conduct. A really nice guy by all accounts. RIP.

wookie70
20-12-2015, 09:47 AM
Great interview with Bob Wilson on 5live. I never realised Jimmy Hill wrote a gold disc cup final song. A man of many talents. From the interview Jimmy Hill just seemed to ooze football. I doubt there is also anyone who has been a player, coach,manager,administrator,pundit and also ran the line in an important top level game not to mention being first with the 3 point for a win and the aforementioned top of the pops song. A true legend of football.

Lucius Apuleius
20-12-2015, 10:11 AM
A great football brain. I always thought he took the song as banter although I am not convinced it was always sung in banter.

RIP Jimmy, hopefully at peace now.

Carheenlea
20-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Younger fans might be unaware of how innovative and pioneering Jimmy Hill was in the modernisation of the game. Growing up he was never far from our TV screen and always had opinions that were worth listening to. His wife's interview on Sportsound a couple of weeks ago was both fantastic and heartbreaking at the same time.

Edson Arantes
20-12-2015, 02:25 PM
Jimmy was alright. :agree:

RIP

weecounty hibby
20-12-2015, 03:13 PM
Jimmy was alright. :agree:

RIP
He was indeed and I never thought he ever came across as being aloof!:wink:

ancient hibee
20-12-2015, 04:04 PM
Led the way with panels of experts at TV football.

Had a good sense of humour-always insisted he made Johnny Haynes the player he was.

Phil MaGlass
20-12-2015, 04:14 PM
His knowledge on the game was immense he took quite a bit of stick for his toe poke piece but as time wore on more and more scots fans took to him. Saw him at a couple of scotland games. Great ambassador to the game.

--------
21-12-2015, 10:00 PM
So he (maybe) screwed over Sunderland?

He's just gone way up in my estimation and I always liked him anyway.

:faf:

the authorities weren't as careful in those days about all the final day games being played at exactly the same date and time. Personally, I think it was just one of those things - the referee was the guy who agreed to the delayed KO, and the Sunderland result went up on the scoreboard just as it came in without deliberate malicious intent.

The complaint wasn't upheld, and maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it?

But like you, I liked the man very much, and could listen to him talking football all night. He knew and understood the game (and respected it) in a way most administrators nowadays do not.

Sammy7nil
21-12-2015, 10:20 PM

Hear hear or here here :greengrin

kaimendhibs
21-12-2015, 10:25 PM
RIP Jimmy Hill. Always liked him