PDA

View Full Version : Saturday's Tactics

GreenCastle
14-12-2015, 01:21 PM
What shape do people feel like we played against Falkirk in the 1st half?

2nd half with 10 players it was 4-4-1.

What do we think about the Hanlon experiment / holding midfielder ?

Keating playing on left ?

Henderson on the right ?

Did Malonga deserve to come off?

greenlex
14-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Tactics were spot on. Plenty chances when we had 11 men. Nullified their chances when we had 10. Went for it after they fluked their goal and got a deserved equaliser.

Onion
14-12-2015, 01:31 PM

Henderson on the right ?

Apart from the first 5 mins, Hibs were well on top until McGinn got his red card, so I think Hanlon in the defensive mid role worked ok. He's played there before. Malonga had to go off as we were short in midfield. Stubbs was never going to take off JC, and Keatings was our best player up to that point. IMO Stubbs got his tactics and formation spot on Saturday. I'd go with the same formation on Sat with 3 upfront (Keatings as link man).

SeanWilson
14-12-2015, 01:39 PM
Apart from the first 5 mins, Hibs were well on top until McGinn got his red card, so I think Hanlon in the defensive mid role worked ok. He's played there before. Malonga had to go off as we were short in midfield. Stubbs was never going to take off JC, and Keatings was our best player up to that point. IMO Stubbs got his tactics and formation spot on Saturday. I'd go with the same formation on Sat with 3 upfront (Keatings as link man).

:agree: I've been vocal of my concerns over AS tactial ability/use of subbs in the past but he got it spot on on Saturday. He really is a top manager/coach in the making and we should enjoy while it lasts!

The Sundance Kid
14-12-2015, 01:48 PM

Henderson on the right ?

I'd say the formation we tend to start with is 4-3-1-2 with Keatings playing just behind Malonga and Cummings.

I think Hanlon's midfield position was forced on Stubbs by the injuries to Bartley and McGeouch, plus Henderson only being fit enough for the bench, however I thought he coped well in a position that wasn't his usual

Definitely went 4-4-1 in the second half which I felt was a bit of an error by Stubbs as it left Cummings too isolated and brought Falkirk onto us. Agreed with Malonga being replaced by Henderson but thought he should have left Keatings up top in support of Cummings as the Malonga substitution had already restored our 3 in the midfield at the expense of a striker, we didn't at that point need to sacrifice a second forward to further bolster the midfield.

GreenCastle
14-12-2015, 02:08 PM
I'd say the formation we tend to start with is 4-3-1-2 with Keatings playing just behind Malonga and Cummings.

I think Hanlon's midfield position was forced on Stubbs by the injuries to Bartley and McGeouch, plus Henderson only being fit enough for the bench, however I thought he coped well in a position that wasn't his usual

Definitely went 4-4-1 in the second half which I felt was a bit of an error by Stubbs as it left Cummings too isolated and brought Falkirk onto us. Agreed with Malonga being replaced by Henderson but thought he should have left Keatings up top in support of Cummings as the Malonga substitution had already restored our 3 in the midfield at the expense of a striker, we didn't at that point need to sacrifice a second forward to further bolster the midfield.

Yup agree with most of this - Not sure if was a flat 3 in front of the 4. Seemed Hanlon sitting and more of a diamond in midfield - with Keatings at the top of it.

Keatings was bright in the 1st half but didn't get much of ball / faded out 2nd half.

I felt we sat slightly deeper 2nd half - not easy for JC playing up top 4 defenders against 1.

We definitely played with more urgency once we went 1v0 down. Like others I think if we had 10 more mins we could have got a winner.

Hibbyradge
14-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Stubbs talks about the tactics in this post match interview (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/tv/video/755).

Franck Stanton
14-12-2015, 02:29 PM

Henderson on the right ?

Tin Hat on here, but imo tactics/use of players available was all wrong on Saturday. Why play Hanlon as d/m when we have a [presumably] fit player who is a natural for the position in Bartley ? What is wrong wit McGeoch? why wasn't he even quoted on Sat? is he injured ? Why move McGinn from l/m to R/m ? Been outstanding recently so why move him ? Too many changes for such an important game, Yes we were by far the better footballing side, but at the end of the ay we only scored once, after having lost a really scrappy preventable goal. A for Malonga substitution - on performance didn't merit it, if we still had 11 players don't think it would have happened but to play 50-odd minutes with 10 men we needed grafters and he s more of a luxury player.
Hanlon is imo a rally good player who was "hung out to dry" second half when moved yet again to left midfield, not his fault but not his position, got nothing from him during this period -take note Stubbsy.

SeanWilson
14-12-2015, 02:31 PM
Tin Hat on here, but imo tactics/use of players available was all wrong on Saturday. Why play Hanlon as d/m when we have a [presumably] fit player who is a natural for the position in Bartley ? What is wrong wit McGeoch? why wasn't he even quoted on Sat? is he injured ? Why move McGinn from l/m to R/m ? Been outstanding recently so why move him ? Too many changes for such an important game, Yes we were by far the better footballing side, but at the end of the ay we only scored once, after having lost a really scrappy preventable goal. A for Malonga substitution - on performance didn't merit it, if we still had 11 players don't think it would have happened but to play 50-odd minutes with 10 men we needed grafters and he s more of a luxury player.
Hanlon is imo a rally good player who was "hung out to dry" second half when moved yet again to left midfield, not his fault but not his position, got nothing from him during this period -take note Stubbsy.

watch the after match interview. :agree:

The Sundance Kid
14-12-2015, 02:34 PM

Bartley was out with a back injury and McGeouch out with a groin strain according to Stubbs' post-match Hibs TV interview, hopeful that both will be back next week

Smartie
14-12-2015, 02:43 PM
I thought Hanlon did ok but I was surprised that his touch looked a bit heavy once or twice. It's not normally something you would say about him but I think he expected a bit more time than he got.

Hanlon's an excellent player though and he has all the attributes to be a success in that position. I'm not sure you can just come in and do it once every 20 games or so though.

The tactics were not the problem on Saturday. We were unfortunate with the sending off - that kind of thing happens from time to time, unfortunately it happens to us in the first half of a game when we'd struggled to break down a stuffy Falkirk team. It wouldn't have been so costly if we'd been 3-0 up on Alloa.

Sometimes you just need to shrug your shoulders and accept that it's not your day and, like Stubbs, I'm happier with the outcome of that game than I have been with certain Hibs victories in the past. If we win the league by a point that could be the point that did it.

It's a bit like Mowbray's comment - if we keep showing what we showed on Saturday then over a season we'll do all right.