PDA

View Full Version : Kick Off

Famous Fiver
13-12-2015, 07:13 PM
Does my head in!

We kick off. What do we do? Lay it off then play back to left back position to play across the back for defenders to get a 'feel' of the ball. Knock it into midfield, lay it back again. What do the opposition do while all this is going on?

Drop into their well rehearsed defensive formation and wait for us. Settles them down from minute one.

Why oh why don't we set up an attacking move by going forward from the kick off? Get the forwards and wing backs running, get the defenders turning and try to force something right away. Have a shot, anything, instead of the tepid way we start games.

Is it just me, or am I too old fashioned?

Stevie Reid
13-12-2015, 07:14 PM
I'm pretty sure from our restart yesterday after Falkirk scored that Jason Cummings ran it forward and played David Gray in in an advanced position in the Falkirk half. Set the tone for our next few minutes and the equaliser.

FromTheCapital
13-12-2015, 07:16 PM
Does my head in!

We kick off. What do we do? Lay it off then play back to left back position to play across the back for defenders to get a 'feel' of the ball. Knock it into midfield, lay it back again. What do the opposition do while all this is going on?

Drop into their well rehearsed defensive formation and wait for us. Settles them down from minute one.

Why oh why don't we set up an attacking move by going forward from the kick off? Get the forwards and wing backs running, get the defenders turning and try to force something right away. Have a shot, anything, instead of the tepid way we start games.

Is it just me, or am I too old fashioned?

Think almost every team does that mate.

You have to feel your way into games but if you look at games such as, Dundee United, we completely blew them away with a series of attacks in the first 15 minutes.

Obviously, going crazy on attack right from the start is how you concede goals, never mind score them but I do agree that we should try get out the blocks as fast as possible, something which I think we have been pretty good at so far this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecat23
13-12-2015, 07:25 PM
One week McGinn or whoever should do a Zemamma and just run at them. That goals from Stokes against the Huns left them stunned. 12 seconds I think it was!

Famous Fiver
13-12-2015, 07:25 PM
I agree about the restart. It's the match kick off I am on about.

hibbysam
13-12-2015, 07:52 PM
One week McGinn or whoever should do a Zemamma and just run at them. That goals from Stokes against the Huns left them stunned. 12 seconds I think it was!

Left them stunned? They went on to hammer us 4-1 if I mind right??

ancient hibee
13-12-2015, 07:56 PM
I thought everyone realised that at a kick off the idea is to hold onto the ball and stop the other team having it at the start.

Famous Fiver
13-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Glad to give them it back when it is lying in the back of their net!!!

Too obvious, no?

eastterrace
13-12-2015, 09:05 PM

yes makalamby kinda helped them to get that result.

Pretty Boy
13-12-2015, 09:21 PM

Tbf we were all over them until Liam Miller passed the ball straight to a hun in midfield and Kenny miller scored from the through ball.

We fell apart after that and the fact our keeper then decided to do one of his comedy routines didn't help either.

danhibees1875
13-12-2015, 09:32 PM
Maybe I've not been paying enough attention but I thought we usually played it back to Midfield and then lumped a diagonal ball to a rushing fullback to give away a throw in?

We definitely just ran it forward from 1-0 down yesterday; something I think we should do more. :agree:

nonshinyfinish
13-12-2015, 10:40 PM
Anyone remember the manoeuvre from the Williamson years where the two forwards would sprint together down one wing, and two midfielders would take the kick-off and punt the ball towards them? As I remember it, there was a period of months where we tried this every week and it never ever came close to achieving anything of note.

Eyrie
13-12-2015, 11:20 PM
Anyone remember the manoeuvre from the Williamson years where the two forwards would sprint together down one wing, and two midfielders would take the kick-off and punt the ball towards them? As I remember it, there was a period of months where we tried this every week and it never ever came close to achieving anything of note.

Similar thing in the Miller years, when Keith Wright was the missed target for the overhit pass.

SaulGoodman
13-12-2015, 11:50 PM

Aye but the first 12 seconds were braw.

portycabbage
14-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Aye but the first 12 seconds were braw.

One of those "late for kick-off" scenarios for me. :doh:

MWHIBBIES
14-12-2015, 12:39 AM
Indeed, I'd prefer if we gave the ball away and put ourselves under pressure right from the off.