PDA

View Full Version : David Farrell book signing

car1973
11-12-2015, 11:49 PM
This might have been mentioned already but Dave Farrell will be in the shop tomorrow from 12.30 signing copies of his book. It really is an excellent read. Find out which Hibs player refused to wear his shirt at Airdrie!

https://twitter.com/HibsOfficial/status/675369133308043264

Dashing Bob S
12-12-2015, 12:57 AM
This might have been mentioned already but Dave Farrell will be in the shop tomorrow from 12.30 signing copies of his book. It really is an excellent read. Find out which Hibs player refused to wear his shirt at Airdrie!

https://twitter.com/HibsOfficial/status/675369133308043264

I normally detest player autobiogs, but this is very good, and it's written with a silky playmaker's rather than uncompromising ball winner's panache and style. But then that's probably because DF wrote it himself instead of relying on a Record or Sun sports 'journalist'.

Carheenlea
12-12-2015, 08:21 AM
I`ll be buying this, and hopefully manage to get a signed copy if through in time today. Have only heard positive things about David Farrell`s book, and it sounds very different to the traditional footballer autobiography.

Cabbage East
12-12-2015, 09:05 AM
Surprised there's not been more threads about this. I'll be getting the book, he's a good writer and deserves some support.

HIBERNIAN-0762
12-12-2015, 09:13 AM
A pretty decent player for us in the early 90s, never shirked a tackle and had a pretty good shot from memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4sNZeLB-KE

Dalianwanda
12-12-2015, 09:54 AM
what would you constitute being worthy of having enough material to fill a book?

Oops you deleted it ;-)

Pretty Boy
12-12-2015, 10:07 AM
It's a decent read. Some good stories about a level of the game a lot of us can probably relate to to some extent.

As said above it makes a huge difference knowing the player himself wrote it. I've read his blog for a while and he has a lot of good things to say.

HH81
12-12-2015, 10:19 AM
Is there anyway to get a signed copy delivered? That would be cool.

FranckSuzy
12-12-2015, 10:21 AM
I'll be popping along to pick up the copy DF has kindly donated to the Leith Links auction. Top man :aok:

hibee
12-12-2015, 10:23 AM
A pretty decent player for us in the early 90s, never shirked a tackle and had a pretty good shot from memory.

I remember he liked a tackle but I don't remember him scoring many goals in fact did Alex Miller not tell him to stop that celebration until he could score more regularly.

HIBERNIAN-0762
12-12-2015, 10:36 AM
I remember he liked a tackle but I don't remember him scoring many goals in fact did Alex Miller not tell him to stop that celebration until he could score more regularly.

Knowing Miller that is probably true.

Bristolhibby
12-12-2015, 10:44 AM
Almost finished the book, a really good read. Gives another insight into what football must be like for most professional players in the world.

Met him on that Cup Final day, as he was our taxi driver! A truly nice guy and well knowledgable about football. Even came into the Harp and Castle for a pint after.

J

car1973
12-12-2015, 02:12 PM

If you email grant@tecklebooks.co.uk, he will sort you out.

HH81
12-12-2015, 02:23 PM
If you email grant@tecklebooks.co.uk, he will sort you out.

Oh nice one thanks for that.

Carheenlea
12-12-2015, 02:59 PM

I picked up a copy in shop, and while David Farrell had finished and moved to a Q&A function in Edinburgh Suite, there were signed copies left behind for sale. I'd phone shop asap if you can't get past today I'm sure they can sort you out.

Cod Boy
12-12-2015, 09:09 PM
Met David in the gyle today very nice guy had a wee bit banter with my laddie and happy to get a photo

Thief
05-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Just finished the book and really enjoyed it. Written straight from the heart and I almost felt every bit of pain and emotion he went through.
Even changed my long held opinion of Alex Rae :-)
Recommend [emoji106]

brog
05-01-2016, 06:49 PM
In 1994 I went to Kazakhstan for the first time. I went into the US oil company camp bar at night & the walls were bedecked with American sporting memorabilia. There was one proper footy strip on display, not only was it a Hibs strip it was Davie's strip from the 1993 LC final. It turned out Davie's pal ran the bar. Separately Alex Rae has a place in Portugal & I've met him a few times. He's a really good guy & I wish them both well, up to a point! :wink:

KWJ
05-01-2016, 07:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4sNZeLB-KE

Quite the crowd for that game and I woulda bet ma pet dug on Keith Keith Keith burying that open goal!

monarch
05-01-2016, 07:40 PM
I got this book as a Xmas present and can confirm that it's an excellent read. He describes the non glamorous side of the game excellently and mirrors the reality of the game, as it is, for the 90% of players who exist outwith the Beckham/Ronaldo/Rooney bubble.

Iggy Pope
05-01-2016, 08:20 PM

The book sounds like a great read and the blog certainly is.
IIRC the telling off he got from Miller was for asking for the match ball when he had finally bagged a goal after months and months of trying without looking like scoring.

Steve-O
07-01-2016, 10:00 AM
Quite the crowd for that game and I woulda bet ma pet dug on Keith Keith Keith burying that open goal!

My first ever trip to Kilmarnock! And the only time I ever went before Rugby Park got rebuilt. Not a bad game too.

BSEJVT
07-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Really enjoyed the book and didn't pull many punches in it either

I did one of my coaching badges with him and he was a nice bloke too.

Conj
07-01-2016, 06:19 PM
My first ever trip to Kilmarnock! And the only time I ever went before Rugby Park got rebuilt. Not a bad game too.

Mine too and I can remember slating taking a short corner before the first goal because "they never work" , then when the next corner was taken short saying "fair enough, we scored off one short corner but we won't do it again!!"

Peevemor
07-01-2016, 06:49 PM
I really enjoyed the book. He comes across as a decent, modest guy who recognises his strengths and weaknesses both in and away from football. I also appreciated that it wasn't a name dropping fest as some of these books can be.

I'm sure there is more behind the scenes dishing of dirt he could have done, but he sticks mostly to stuff that directly affected him.