PDA

View Full Version : St Mirren & Partick Thistle Fans to Sit Together

Frazerbob
10-12-2015, 09:58 AM
For the upcoming Scottish Cup tie in Paisley there will be areas for fans of both clubs to sit together. Interesting move by the clubs. Hope it's a success......wonder if we'll get to do the same at the next Derby! :take that

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/partick-thistle/1335436-partick-thistle-and-st-mirren-fans-to-mix-in-same-stand-in-cup-clash/

cabbageandribs1875
10-12-2015, 10:05 AM
good on them, hopefully a success

cam75
10-12-2015, 10:08 AM
The saints game 2 seasons ago had a stand like that,my daughters favourite game👍
ggtth

CentreLine
10-12-2015, 10:17 AM
And not before time. This should be possible at every ground but sadly we keep promoting conflict instead of sport by telling people they need to be segregated. I always felt that we Edinburgh clubs missed an opportunity after the two Liverpool teams did it following Hillsborough. Every club in the country could and should IMHO have grasped that opportunity to take down the segregation barriers and give the occasion back to the supporters. Yes, including the ugly sisters. I have long felt that segregation promotes tribalism. No chance now I fear but with seated stadia it should not be beyond the game to achieve

Frazerbob
10-12-2015, 10:19 AM
The saints game 2 seasons ago had a stand like that,my daughters favourite game
ggtth

Good point, it's happened for years at St Johnstone.

MWHIBBIES
10-12-2015, 10:20 AM
And not before time. This should be possible at every ground but sadly we keep promoting conflict instead of sport by telling people they need to be segregated. I always felt that we Edinburgh clubs missed an opportunity after the two Liverpool teams did it following Hillsborough. Every club in the country could and should IMHO have grasped that opportunity to take down the segregation barriers and give the occasion back to the supporters. Yes, including the ugly sisters. I have long felt that segregation promotes tribalism. No chance now I fear but with seated stadia it should not be beyond the game to achieveFans prove week after week all over the world they cannot be trusted.

When bams stop running on the park, throwing bottles/coins and setting off fireworks/flares we might have a case for the removal of segregation.

HH81
10-12-2015, 10:20 AM
I go to rugby and we all stand together/sit.

People drink and stuff and never any trouble.

marinello59
10-12-2015, 10:22 AM
And not before time. This should be possible at every ground but sadly we keep promoting conflict instead of sport by telling people they need to be segregated. I always felt that we Edinburgh clubs missed an opportunity after the two Liverpool teams did it following Hillsborough. Every club in the country could and should IMHO have grasped that opportunity to take down the segregation barriers and give the occasion back to the supporters. Yes, including the ugly sisters. I have long felt that segregation promotes tribalism. No chance now I fear but with seated stadia it should not be beyond the game to achieve

I agree.

HH81
10-12-2015, 10:25 AM
At Fulham you can go in this stand where they have away end at one end and rest of it is netruel and this was when in premiership.

I sat in netruel bit with a Newcastle fan.

Broken Gnome
10-12-2015, 10:26 AM

Rugby benefits from the way it's officiated though, a ref is generally respected and most of the time it hard to tell whether they are right or wrong. Football fans would be pissed off and be in disagreement with those around them every few minutes.

silverhibee
10-12-2015, 10:27 AM

:rules:

Football Forum.

None of your egg nonsense on hear. :greengrin

And I don't want to be sitting next to a opposition fan.

marinello59
10-12-2015, 10:35 AM
Fans prove week after week all over the world they cannot be trusted.

When bams stop running on the park, throwing bottles/coins and setting off fireworks/flares we might have a case for the removal of segregation.

We have had plenty of threads on here complaining about the over policing of football fans. Yet the idea of sitting near rival fans is dismissed because we can't be trusted to behave.

Since90+2
10-12-2015, 10:39 AM
Maybe we should trial it at Easter Road for the Rangers game next year?

silverhibee
10-12-2015, 10:44 AM
We have had plenty of threads on here complaining about the over policing of football fans. Yet the idea of sitting near rival fans is dismissed because we can't be trusted to behave.

And we can't be trusted, FFS we can't even sit next to our own fans without fights/arguments taking place whether it be ER Dumbarton or Hampden.

I would say maybe a good idea if it was family's only, but Hampden showed that even mums & dads with there kids can't behave, there is a reason we are separated, because we can't be trusted to behave ourself's.

marinello59
10-12-2015, 10:50 AM
And we can't be trusted, FFS we can't even sit next to our own fans without fights/arguments taking place whether it be ER Dumbarton or Hampden.

I would say maybe a good idea if it was family's only, but Hampden showed that even mums & dads with there kids can't behave, there is a reason we are separated, because we can't be trusted to behave ourself's.

I agree with you about doing it with family sections.
I'd see that as a starting point only though.

Treadstone
10-12-2015, 11:05 AM
The majority could cope. The minority would spoil it. I know which group would get the headlines.

Peevemor
10-12-2015, 11:09 AM
There are Hibs supporters I didn't want to sit next to at matches - let alone fans of other teams.

Derby days for me were always the same - meet up with a crew of mates for beer, hibees and Jambos, before the match the same again after. The losers always got it tight but it was always good craic whatever.

lucky
10-12-2015, 11:15 AM
The majority could cope. The minority would spoil it. I know which group would get the headlines.

Spot on

Carheenlea
10-12-2015, 11:47 AM
Prior to the Cup Final in 2012 there were concerns about thousands of rival fans travelling from Edinburgh to Glasgow for the day, but the atmosphere that morning was something special. Even non football fans remarked about it. On the train through, Hibs and Hearts fans shared carriages despite intentions to segregate trains, but everyone sat in their own company looking forward to the game, and without trouble. The day did somewhat turn sour after that on the pitch of course, but there was some evidence that day that we can be trusted to behave ourselves with other fans. I wouldn't like to sit in mixed stands as I like the tribalism and camaraderie of watching my team with like minded people, but have no problem, and enjoy mixing with fans of our opposition pre/post match.

SanFranHibs
10-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Just think it is good the St Mirren and Partick fans can keep each other company.

Gatecrasher
10-12-2015, 12:00 PM
I'd hate sitting next to an opposition supporter, I like the them against us part of football.

PiemanP
10-12-2015, 12:36 PM
I'd hate sitting next to an opposition supporter, I like the them against us part of football.

:agree: This for me too. It works in rugby, everything's a bit more friendly there though. I don't want games against the OF/hearts/Aberdeen to have a friendly atmosphere.

Saying that, for the games against smaller teams who your lucky if they bring two tractors' worth i'd have no problem sticking them (together) in an empty section of any of the three home stands. You'd get no trouble and it save Hibs a load of money through closing a stand.

adhibs
10-12-2015, 02:48 PM

Not for me either. Have no problem being around opositiob fans pre and post match, woukd have no interest in sitting next then while they moan/ celebrate during a game

Onion
10-12-2015, 02:58 PM
For the upcoming Scottish Cup tie in Paisley there will be areas for fans of both clubs to sit together. Interesting move by the clubs. Hope it's a success......wonder if we'll get to do the same at the next Derby! :take that

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/partick-thistle/1335436-partick-thistle-and-st-mirren-fans-to-mix-in-same-stand-in-cup-clash/

What's new ? Hearts fans sit with away supporters at every Hibs home game.

Pete
10-12-2015, 03:00 PM
What's new ? Hearts fans sit with away supporters at every Hibs home game.

And vice versa (not sure why you mentioned hearts first as if they are some huge entity). Difference is we don't broadcast it.

blackpoolhibs
10-12-2015, 03:04 PM
Maybe we should trial it at Easter Road for the Rangers game next year?

Hibs already do it by selling hospitality in the west, it's had the odd kerfuffle in the past depending on the importance of the game.

LancashireHibby
10-12-2015, 03:06 PM
The examples cited in this thread in terms of Fulham, rugby league and additionally the Bundesliga all have away sections as well, be it self-segregated in a sense or full on fenced in stuff as is the case with the ultras in Germany, with the mixed sections elsewhere being families, older folk etc.

There is certainly scope for looking after both ends of the spectrum, and might even alleviate the odd issues you get with people complaining that their views are blocked by people standing up etc.

Thecat23
10-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Sadly far to many bell ends in football that make right Noal Hunts of themselves for it to work. 99% want to watch football but the other just want to scream abuse or look for bother and it would only take one to kick it off.

Look at the hassle we've had with our own fans at away games!!

Big_Franck
10-12-2015, 03:42 PM
Not for me. One of the best, if not the best, thing about going to games is the rivalry, banter and one
-upmanship you get with the oppositions fans. Particularly so in the big games but even against the likes of dundee utd etc.

Take that away from football and I doubt i'd attend again.

Nameless
10-12-2015, 04:10 PM
I enjoy watching games in the pub when you have a broad range of supporters. Even if you don't follow the teams you're watching, it makes it more interesting when you have people who are invested in the result near by. I watched a Dundee derby in a pub with an Arab, 2 dons and a hun, the chat was more fun than the match. I think fans mixing is a great idea, and would enhance the match day experience.

erin go bragh
10-12-2015, 04:46 PM
Back in the late 80s .my jambo mate had a couple of complimentry derby tickets for the old main stand at Easter Road. We got a taxi from our local to the game and sat together watching a 1=1 draw ,then got another fast black back to the boozer .

heretoday
10-12-2015, 06:23 PM
There are Hibs supporters I didn't want to sit next to at matches - let alone fans of other teams.

Derby days for me were always the same - meet up with a crew of mates for beer, hibees and Jambos, before the match the same again after. The losers always got it tight but it was always good craic whatever.

Too right. We were all behind the goal as No 7 went in. Lots of banter and condescending remarks toward the jam tarts! Then we went and got wrecked together. Next day it was business as usual. No one was tearing their hair out. Happy days.

Pretty Boy
10-12-2015, 06:39 PM

Spot on.

frazeHFC
10-12-2015, 06:39 PM
The rivalry in football is what makes I so good. Would hate to have mixed stands.

Sir David Gray
10-12-2015, 07:31 PM
Not for me.

Just because there is segregation, doesn't mean to say that there needs to be fights before and after the game.

Anyway most of the situations where fights occur wouldn't be the games where people would be allowed to sit together.

I have no interest at all in sitting next to the other team's fans.

B.H.F.C
10-12-2015, 07:34 PM
Sounds crap to me. I like the rivalry at football. Atmosphere is bad enough at a lot of games without sitting holding hands with opposing fans.

Pete
10-12-2015, 07:40 PM
Don't see the problem with a neutral section for families or something like that. I remember the north terrace at Hampden used to be the neutral section for some matches and nobody killed each other.

Frazerbob
10-12-2015, 09:47 PM
It isn't that long ago that away fans were welcomed into the old Centre Stands at Easter Road and Tynie on Derby Day.........of course Hearts still have theirs lol

monktonharp
10-12-2015, 10:04 PM
Maybe we should trial it at Easter Road for the Rangers game next year?maybe you should put that bottle away, and slide your chair away from the monitor

NadeAteMyLunch!
10-12-2015, 10:17 PM
I'd rather we put our efforts into being able to buy a pint at the game

Speedy
10-12-2015, 10:20 PM
Rugby benefits from the way it's officiated though, a ref is generally respected and most of the time it hard to tell whether they are right or wrong. Football fans would be pissed off and be in disagreement with those around them every few minutes.

About the same as usual then? :greengrin

HappyHanlon
11-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Lets all buy half and half scarves while we're at it :rolleyes:

matty_f
11-12-2015, 02:15 PM
Can you imagine the confusion that would ensue if opposing drummers ended up beside each other!?

For that reason, I'm out.

My_Wife_Camille
11-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Lets all buy half and half scarves while we're at it :rolleyes:

What next? Applauding the opposition? Wearing opposition teams colours? Scrums?

marinello59
11-12-2015, 02:46 PM
Can you imagine the confusion that would ensue if opposing drummers ended up beside each other!?

For that reason, I'm out.

They could end up breaking each other's drums. For that reason, I'm in.

Dashing Bob S
11-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Hope there's extreme carnage. The game will never recapture its soul unless we return to 80's values where every club had an aggressive, tooled-up firm, intent on inflicting maximum damage on rival fans and caring nothing for the game. And dressing decently.

Alfred E Newman
11-12-2015, 03:52 PM
Being brought up in the era before segregation I've seen both sides of it, some great banter and some violence. I have to say the banter easily outnumbered the bad days. I dont mind mixing with opposition supporters after all they are just the same as us with different colours on with maybe the Old Firm an exception.

Keith_M
11-12-2015, 05:50 PM
Segregation was introduced at ER in the mid 70s but the South Wing of the old Main Stand, and the Enclosure in front of it, was always mixed (outside of OF and Hearts games)

I'd be in favour of bringing back something similar, even if it's purely a Family Section.

Dinkydoo
11-12-2015, 06:49 PM
Horrible idea. I'm not going to be a danger to anyone whilst sitting next to opposition fans but for me it would seriously impact on my enjoyment of the game.

I like to sing, jump around and celebrate with my fellow Hibs fans; if I was sitting next to an opposing fan I'd feel guilty about celebrating too much and annoyed if they were taking enjoyment out of giving us a pumping.

I think I just care about Hibs too much :faf:

heretoday
11-12-2015, 07:50 PM
Hope there's extreme carnage. The game will never recapture its soul unless we return to 80's values where every club had an aggressive, tooled-up firm, intent on inflicting maximum damage on rival fans and caring nothing for the game. And dressing decently.

It was the majorettes at half-time that used to drive the fans into a mindless frenzy.

Dashing Bob S
11-12-2015, 10:51 PM
It was the majorettes at half-time that used to drive the fans into a mindless frenzy.

The good old innocent days when we needed only sexual frustration rather than heaps of cocaine to ignite us into mindless violence.

ALF TUPPER
12-12-2015, 08:00 AM
That's nice .... St Midden and Thistle fans to sit together . Good idea ....

Can we book them a table for 2 please ? 😊