PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs saying Fringe players can leave in January Window

Ronniekirk
09-12-2015, 08:29 AM
Stanton and Handling both mentioned again In evening News Article .Stubbs saying he won't stand in thier way if they want to pursue first team football elsewhere.
IGuess no real surprise there ,although with Danny s injury he hasn't been in a poisition to fight for a first team place .
Foster not mentioned ,but he is bound to be frustrated at lack of game time ,but you can't argue Hanlon Fontaine and McGregor are the first picks ,and to date Gray has managed to avoid the recurring hamstrings that occurred last season .
We know Eckersley is going perhaps without playing for the first team ,and
Feruz could well invoke his clause to cut short loan deal, given lack of Gane time to date .
Anier is another player that needs to either be given an opportunity to show what he can do in first team ,or see if United will take him back even if just to loan out to someone else ,although Stubbs has gone on record as saying he thinks he could do a job for us next year ,so he must be impressing him in Trainining .
Farid is clearly not yet able to play for any length of time and you would think that the back room team would have formed a view by now on the % age chances of him making a recovery to the point where he can play a part in team going forward
We will also get tested with bids for some players possibly

So while Stubbs is saying there may only be one or two coming in ,this could change if some of the above happens
Who else have we been linked with ,.Michael McGovern goalkeeper from Hamilton ,more likely to be a Pre Contract deal, if it's going to happen as out of contract next summer .

Brightside
09-12-2015, 08:38 AM
Expect Feruz and Stanton to go. Handling prob not as he is still in recovery. I'd put Forster on loan to give him game time...im sure plenty teams in our league would take him. Anier is here for the year. I think Eck will be offered a deal for rest of year.

Thecat23
09-12-2015, 09:37 AM
Stanton defo going. As you say underscore Feruz I can't see staying either! Forster is a tough one. He's a good defender and good cover but wants first team footy, I think he may go for good come the summer.

Andy74
09-12-2015, 09:43 AM
Stanton and Handling both mentioned again In evening News Article .Stubbs saying he won't stand in thier way if they want to pursue first team football elsewhere.
IGuess no real surprise there ,although with Danny s injury he hasn't been in a poisition to fight for a first team place .
Foster not mentioned ,but he is bound to be frustrated at lack of game time ,but you can't argue Hanlon Fontaine and McGregor are the first picks ,and to date Gray has managed to avoid the recurring hamstrings that occurred last season .
We know Eckersley is going perhaps without playing for the first team ,and
Feruz could well invoke his clause to cut short loan deal, given lack of Gane time to date .
Anier is another player that needs to either be given an opportunity to show what he can do in first team ,or see if United will take him back even if just to loan out to someone else ,although Stubbs has gone on record as saying he thinks he could do a job for us next year ,so he must be impressing him in Trainining .
Farid is clearly not yet able to play for any length of time and you would think that the back room team would have formed a view by now on the % age chances of him making a recovery to the point where he can play a part in team going forward
We will also get tested with bids for some players possibly

So while Stubbs is saying there may only be one or two coming in ,this could change if some of the above happens
Who else have we been linked with ,.Michael McGovern goalkeeper from Hamilton ,more likely to be a Pre Contract deal, if it's going to happen as out of contract next summer .

Eckersley I wouldn't be surprised to see staying for the season. A recent interview with him suggested he would be willing to look at dealying his US move.

staunchhibby
09-12-2015, 10:21 AM
Sam wanted to go in the last window but i think hibs were being awkward.

NAE NOOKIE
09-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Its a shame for the likes of Forster as he has been unlucky with injuries ... I would keep a hold of him because there is a decent defender in there if he could just stay fit ..... but I cant help thinking patience is probably wearing thin at ER with his seemingly never ending love affair with the treatment table.

You could say the same for Handling, though even when fit he never managed to establish himself in some pretty average first teams. As for Sam Stanton, he is obviously talented but he has been on the fringes for so long now its hard to see him making it with us, perhaps a move would kick start his career ... look at how its went for Spoony since he left.

I would hate to ever see Hibs become a club that bins players with long term injuries. But on the other hand players cant be allowed to stick around the club for season after season missing 1 out of every 3 games through injury. I also don't think we can afford to have guys sitting around the fringes of the first team into their early 20s .... by the time a player is 22 or 23 and has been at the club for 10 years, if he hasn't made a reasonable dent its unlikely he ever will .... I have a feeling Hibs may soon start to take a harder line on that.

Mikey09
09-12-2015, 10:34 AM
Forster will be going nowhere!

woodythehibee
09-12-2015, 10:45 AM
Forster has the makings to be a future Hibs captain. Cannot see him leaving permanently.

Smartie
09-12-2015, 10:52 AM
Forster has been shockingly unlucky.

He's a very good player and did well to re-establish himself in the side towards the end of last season before injuring himself again.

Whilst it's hard to argue that Fontaine, Hanlon and McGregor are our first choice centre-halves, he's not far behind them (if at all).

It would be a very dangerous game to let him go - that would leave us unable to play 3 at the back if any of the other 3 got injured. I'd imagine McGregor is our first choice reserve for Gray as well so allowing Forster to leave - even on loan - would be madness imo. Had Forster and Boyle been fit for last year's play-off it might have ended very differently. We gave McCall credit for sussing our tactics last year but by losing those players we lost the option to mix it up with the 3 at the back which worked out well for us at times last season.

We have decent cover in our squad for a reason.

jdships
09-12-2015, 10:58 AM
Forster has the makings to be a future Hibs captain. Cannot see him leaving permanently.

That's exactly what I have heard from more than one source :thumbsup:

HappyHanlon
09-12-2015, 11:00 AM
I'm expecting Carmichael to leave during the window - likely on loan.

bigwheel
09-12-2015, 11:12 AM

Whilst he has some strong attributes , his lack of mobility and pace will stop that happening . If Stubbs stays I'd be surprised to see him here next summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy74
09-12-2015, 11:21 AM

I think the opposite is more likely - Hibs clearly want the likes of Stanton to look elsewhere. I doubt we would have been saying they should go and then not allow them to do so. He hasn't been involved so no reason for us to be stopping anything.

bigwheel
09-12-2015, 11:27 AM

Well. As they were touting him to different clubs , that would surprise me

scoopyboy
09-12-2015, 11:29 AM
I think the opposite is more likely - Hibs clearly want the likes of Stanton to look elsewhere. I doubt we would have been saying they should go and then not allow them to do so. He hasn't been involved so no reason for us to be stopping anything.

Hibs weren't being awkward with Sam in the slightest.

He was close to going to Dundee Utd and something happened at their end is my understanding.

When I was first told about it Anier was mentioned in an exchange, I don't know if it was a loan exchange or a permanent move.

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Whilst he has some strong attributes , his lack of mobility and pace will stop that happening . If Stubbs stays I'd be surprised to see him here next summer

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkCentral defenders do not need to be quick if they can read the game well and play around it. You see examples of this all around the world every week yet some people still believe otherwise. Rob Jones captained Hibs to a league cup win and was extremely slow. Mertesacker over 100 caps for Germany and a world cup win. Daniel Van Buyten over 250 games for Bayern Munich winning a champions league and 4 league titles. Puyol, Koeman, Terry, Vidic etc. the list goes on.

bigwheel
09-12-2015, 11:33 AM
Central defenders do not need to be quick if they can read the game well and play around it. You see examples of this all around the world every week yet some people still believe otherwise. Rob Jones captained Hibs to a league cup win and was extremely slow. Mertesacker over 100 caps for Germany and a world cup win. Daniel Van Buyten over 250 games for Bayern Munich winning a champions league and 4 league titles. Puyol, Koeman, Terry, Vidic etc. the list goes on.

Those are fair points ...it's his lack of mobility that is harder to replace with game awareness - don't think Stubbs rates him that much - other managers might want to work with the positive assets he has ...

KeithTheHibby
09-12-2015, 12:32 PM

I think he is a very good centre half however how long does he hang about for? Both Fontaine and more recently McGregor have joined the club and have moved ahead of Forster in the pecking order.
He has been unlucky with injuries, granted however given the last couple of years perhaps he sees his future away from the club.

easty
09-12-2015, 12:43 PM
I'd like to keep Forster long term, though it might not be a bad thing for him to get a short term loan somewhere. Can't be doing his development any good not playing first team football.

The others, Feruz, Carmichael, Stanton, Handling, Eckersley, Anier - I'd not be disappointed to see all/some of them leave and be replaced.

jacomo
09-12-2015, 02:50 PM

Do you think the protracted Scott Allan saga and Danny Handlings injury complicated the issue? Sam Stanton got some game time early in the season as Hibs were suddenly short in midfield.

I agree that he now looks unlikely to break through into a regular starter.

Michael
09-12-2015, 02:55 PM
Really hope we hang onto Forster. Not fussed about the rest.

Bishop Hibee
09-12-2015, 03:18 PM

Out of all our summer signings he has turned out to be our strangest. I assumed he was signed as a winger but apparently prefers playing infield where he has no chance of getting a game.

Stanton, Eckersley, Feruz and Anier to go. I hope Malonga stays until the end of the season. Maybe bring 1 or 2 in on loan.

Big_Franck
09-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Really hope we hang onto Forster. Not fussed about the rest.

Pretty much sums it up for me. Although I don't think we've seen enough of the likes of Carmichael to really form an opinion.

jacomo
09-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Out of all our summer signings he has turned out to be our strangest. I assumed he was signed as a winger but apparently prefers playing infield where he has no chance of getting a game.

Stanton, Eckersley, Feruz and Anier to go. I hope Malonga stays until the end of the season. Maybe bring 1 or 2 in on loan.

I hope Malonga stays a lot longer than that.

snooky
09-12-2015, 03:58 PM

Alistair Carmichael? Can I pick the window he's leaving through? :wink:

southern hibby
09-12-2015, 04:19 PM
Watched Handling against Wigan and was good, don't know why but I believe with a few good players around him he will flourish.

However if I was him id ask to go on loan ( when fit) to get more game time, really believe if we let him go we will regret it .

GGTTH

StevieBoyKdy
09-12-2015, 04:35 PM
I'd say out the door permanently Stubbs is referring to. Feruz, Stanton, Harris, reguero, Carmichael, anier. 6 players no where near the first team. Would rather they were replaced with 2 bodies who would push for a start. Forster imo is a captain in waiting, but it's down to him if he wants to sign a new contract, with 3 centre Halfs ahead of him he might think it's time to move on. I really hope not.

Smartie
09-12-2015, 04:51 PM
Watched Handling against Wigan and was good, don't know why but I believe with a few good players around him he will flourish.

However if I was him id ask to go on loan ( when fit) to get more game time, really believe if we let him go we will regret it .

GGTTH

I can never make my mind up about Handling.

I feel sorry for him - his injury came at a terrible time for him. Even if he wasn't to play here he'd have benefitted from playing a lot of first team football - somewhere, anywhere. We had a lot of our best performances with him in the side last season although I have felt that he's flattered to deceive at times.

I can't really see him ever being much more than a handy squad player although we will always need those.

It is hard to see him as the kind of player who would go elsewhere and we'd live to regret it as he cranked it up a notch (Vaz Te, Clayton Donaldson, Steven Dobbie Richie Towell).

I could see us regretting losing Forster though as he's looked excellent at times and it has been bad luck with injuries rather than anything else that has stopped him becoming a first pick for us.

Ozyhibby
09-12-2015, 06:27 PM
This is going to be a massive January window for us. Hopefully Stubbs has the funds to get in the quality we need.

bigwheel
09-12-2015, 06:42 PM
This is going to be a massive January window for us. Hopefully Stubbs has the funds to get in the quality we need.

Am I the only one who thinks we have enough as is?? I'd be happy for no change...think we have enough to win, as long as we keep performing..maybe one centre forward - depending of Farid and Anier's fitness

Ozyhibby
09-12-2015, 06:47 PM
Am I the only one who thinks we have enough as is?? I'd be happy for no change...think we have enough to win, as long as we keep performing..maybe one centre forward - depending of Farid and Anier's fitness

No chance. We need a striker. Stubbs has said so himself. The quality we get will be down to the funds available.

portycabbage
09-12-2015, 06:52 PM

I don't think Forster is any less pacey or mobile than the likes of Hanlon or Fontaine, and he started 18 games under Stubbs last season despite injuries and Hanlon/Fontaine playing most weeks, so I think Stubbs rates him.

eastmainsmsh
09-12-2015, 06:55 PM
Handlings talented just needs to get going think he could be a cracking player

DH1875
09-12-2015, 06:58 PM
When is Forster out of contract?

B.H.F.C
09-12-2015, 07:29 PM
Handlings talented just needs to get going think he could be a cracking player

With the current squad I don't see him being anywhere near the starting 11 once fit.

Smartie
09-12-2015, 07:38 PM

No, I'm with you - I think we have enough.

If Farid isn't going to be fit it would be good to get another striker in and you could make an argument for getting a naturally left-sided winger. McGregor is decent cover for Gray.

I'd be happy just to hang onto everyone we already have tbh.

Andy74
09-12-2015, 08:45 PM
I hope Malonga stays a lot longer than that.

I love Malonga.

mca
09-12-2015, 09:01 PM
When is "Farid" Ever off the Treatment Table...

Great wee player but..

The Sundance Kid
09-12-2015, 09:14 PM
When is Forster out of contract?

End of the season

TheFamous1875
09-12-2015, 09:35 PM
When is "Farid" Ever off the Treatment Table...

Great wee player but..

I have a feeling he will be 'Farid' come the end of the season...

Bronson
09-12-2015, 09:53 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll be sorry to see Sam Stanton leave. Think he's got the potential to be a cracking player. Handling won't fuss me, but Forster MUST stay - that shouldn't even be up for debate IMO.

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2015, 11:54 PM
No chance. We need a striker. Stubbs has said so himself. The quality we get will be down to the funds available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk:faf: Football would be pretty simple if that was true.

Libby Hibby
10-12-2015, 05:38 AM
Players come, players go...just think, unfortunate for Handling as it was, but if he didn't have his injury in pre season, we may never had signed Keatings for example.

All players that may leave in January that have been mentioned previously are good squad players but imagine if Stubbs can replace them with 1st teamers!!! We'd have some squad then!!

I would just wait and see what happens and leave all the speculation to the papers...

California-Hibs
10-12-2015, 08:01 AM

Nope, I'm with your opinion also. Our squad is strong and just dandy at the moment. I'd be happy with no changes.

Lucius Apuleius
10-12-2015, 08:46 AM
I also would be happy if we keep all this squad without adding to it. I don't get your comment Oz about needing another striker. I thought we had a veritable plethora of them.

Billy Whizz
10-12-2015, 09:09 AM
I also would be happy if we keep all this squad without adding to it. I don't get your comment Oz about needing another striker. I thought we had a veritable plethora of them.

It was Stubbs who said he'd like a striker

scoopyboy
10-12-2015, 09:14 AM
I certainly wouldn't be happy with the squad as it is.

We are skating on thin ice with the forwards, an injury to Jason or Dom would be a disaster. James Keatings has also still to show he can play week in week out.

Not convinced we will get a return out of Feruz, Anier or Farid.

A striker is the bare minimum for me.

Smartie
10-12-2015, 09:19 AM
Playing 3 strikers works well for us. If Cummings and Malonga aren't on form then you can rely on Keatings to kelp one in from 20 yards. Our increased firepower has been the biggest improvement we have made this season.

We don't really have cover for them though. Feruz hasn't done enough to merit a bigger opportunity, Anier hasn't been fit, Farid is seldom fit but is an excellent player.

What if Keatings got injured and Dom/Jason were on international duty and we couldn't cancel the game? We all of a sudden look very short up front.

I can see why Stubbs might want a striker but my main priority in the window would be not to lose anyone.

J-C
10-12-2015, 09:24 AM
Playing 3 up top gives us an exciting attacking threat but as has been sadi we really don't have cover if any get injured. Boyle can come in and play up top but I prefer him from out wide with pace, Feruz will be gone and Farid will be lucky to even play again for us, that leaves Anier and who knows where we are with him. I'd like us to go for the lad from Dunfermline as he seems the type of player that would suit our system.

Smartie
10-12-2015, 09:26 AM
Playing 3 up top gives us an exciting attacking threat but as has been sadi we really don't have cover if any get injured. Boyle can come in and play up top but I prefer him from out wide with pace, Feruz will be gone and Farid will be lucky to even play again for us, that leaves Anier and who knows where we are with him. I'd like us to go for the lad from Dunfermline as he seems the type of player that would suit our system.

I forgot all about Boyle tbh.

He did very well for us last season but hasn't really done much this year.

Jim44
10-12-2015, 09:27 AM

We are skating on thin ice with the forwards, an injury to Jason or Dom would be a disaster. James Keatings has also still to show he can play week in week out.

:agree: If Stubbs can identify and get players, who, to use the in-vogue term, add value to the team, he should go for it. Sevco are aiming to strengthen, or replace if Tavernier or Waghorn, are sold or get injured. They are eyeing up a couple of Accrington Stanley players, Windass and Crooks and the young guy, Stewart of Dundee. Apparently the two AS players are attracting a lot of attention from clubs in the Championship. We've got to maintain our challenge and that means keeping strength in depth.

J-C
10-12-2015, 09:27 AM
I forgot all about Boyle tbh.

He did very well for us last season but hasn't really done much this year.

Hard to get a chance when the other 3 are doing so well.

silverhibee
10-12-2015, 09:45 AM

Stubbs has already said he would be hoping to bring a striker in the January window, Farid Anier Insall & Feruz have all contributed nothing to the team so far this season, Stubbs can't take the risk that they will all magically become fully fit or with Insall & Feruz not making much of a impact, so I can see why Stubbs wants another striker in, our main striker will be a wanted man come January by clubs down South, which would leave us with Malonga & Keatings as the only fully fit strikers for the rest of the season, but hopefully we keep hold of JC and we will still need another striker brought in with Farid & Anier still having doubts over there fitness, heavy pitches due to rain aren't good for players who have come back from long term injuries.

Pretty sure we will see a few players leaving and probably 2-3 players coming in.

jdships
10-12-2015, 10:31 AM
Bumped into a friend who is involved ( admin) with the " Development" side and I asked him about this .
Very non commital , as you would expect, but did say " Five names are in the frame ",
As the saying goes " Perm any five from eight " :greengrin

Saint Hibee
10-12-2015, 01:05 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll be sorry to see Sam Stanton leave. Think he's got the potential to be a cracking player. Handling won't fuss me, but Forster MUST stay - that shouldn't even be up for debate IMO.

Same for me. Stanton would be the one I'd be most disappointed to see leave. Admittedly, we're spoilt for choice in midfield at the moment, but I still think Stanton has the potential to be as good as the best of them.

Ozyhibby
10-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Id be surprised if we don't bring in 2/3 players in Jan and a similar amount will move on.
They will hopefully be replaced by higher quality.
We can play our part.
http://www.hiberniansupporters.co.uk/phone/donate.html

Andy74
10-12-2015, 01:13 PM
Same for me. Stanton would be the one I'd be most disappointed to see leave. Admittedly, we're spoilt for choice in midfield at the moment, but I still think Stanton has the potential to be as good as the best of them.

Sorry but he is miles away from the likes of McGinn, McGeough and Henderson.

Jones28
10-12-2015, 01:16 PM
Would be very sad to see Forster go, he's a tremendous player IMO

KeithTheHibby
10-12-2015, 01:38 PM

None of these guys are good enough to get a game as things stand. If we get promoted then arguably Stubbs needs to improve on what he has therefore pushing fringe players further down the line. I don't think any of the 3 you mention have a long term future at ER.

JimBHibees
10-12-2015, 02:05 PM

Nail on the head physically, ability and attitude wise IMO.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Would be very sad to see Forster go, he's a tremendous player IMO

This! I've always like Foz and he will get better.

GreenPJ
10-12-2015, 02:17 PM

I think Sam has potential to get there but isn't there at the moment, my concern is that if you lose one through injury and one to suspension who do we have to come in.

I see that McGinn, Henderson, McGeoch and Fyvie are the preferred 4 there really only is Bartley as another natural midfielder to bring in and he is defensive not an attacking midfielder. With the young lad Martin out on loan I would be concerned with only having one natural midfielder as cover.

BSEJVT
10-12-2015, 02:33 PM
I think Sam has potential to get there but isn't there at the moment, my concern is that if you lose one through injury and one to suspension who do we have to come in.

I see that McGinn, Henderson, McGeoch and Fyvie are the preferred 4 there really only is Bartley as another natural midfielder to bring in and he is defensive not an attacking midfielder. With the young lad Martin out on loan I would be concerned with only having one natural midfielder as cover.

Its the age old dilemma though for football teams,

Do I have cover for a few positions or do I spend the budget on someone who will take us forward?

The little I have seen of Sam Stanton hasn't persuaded me that he is a better deputy for any of the 4 named than Martin Boyle for example.

I doubt very much he is significantly better than someone from the development squad

Like Alex Harris, Sam Stanton got far more credit IMO than he deserved as he was the only relatively bright light in a bleak landscape

I think he has gotten, a far easier ride that someone like David Wotherspoon, who had contributed far more by his age

If you haven't nailed down a spot in the starting line up by his age IMO the only chance of your doing so is if there is a reduction in quality of the squad that creates a space for you

Thankfully we seem to be going in the other direction.

Ozyhibby
10-12-2015, 02:47 PM
It won't stop people debating it until they are gone but Stanton, Handling and Harris are finished at Hibs and the only reason they are still here is the length of their contracts.
None of them have a future at Hibs.
Not so sure about Forster.

J-C
10-12-2015, 06:20 PM
If you look at the players brought in to the midfield roles, McGinn has played around 100 games mostly in a struggling St Mirren side but was a shining light in that team, Sammy has played just over 50 odd games for us in mostly a struggling side and sparkled about 5 times, both players same age but McGinn is miles ahead of Sammy. Also Dylan and Fyvie are just 1 year older and they too are head and shoulders better than Sammy is, technically good players under JIm McDonaugh's reign but physically and mentally way behind.

J-C
10-12-2015, 06:25 PM

We've been playing 3 with 3 up top, rotating Bartley where needed, if as you say we have any injuries we're a wee bit short but Fyvie can play defensive or as a box2box. I just wonder how long we have to wait to see if Sammy and Handling ever reach their potential.

Lucius Apuleius
10-12-2015, 10:52 PM

I know that Scoops, but without looking back over old threads, how many posts were there saying we had too many strikers? Hunners if I remember correctly.

B.H.F.C
10-12-2015, 10:57 PM
I know that Scoops, but without looking back over old threads, how many posts were there saying we had too many strikers? Hunners if I remember correctly.

Thing is, only one of those strikers has scored regularly.

Other strikers we have do bring other things to the table but we could definitely be doing with more in the way of goals.

J-C
10-12-2015, 10:58 PM

We do have too many strikers unfortunately one is crocked, one is p1sh and the other isn't as good as we or he thought he was.

jacomo
10-12-2015, 11:19 PM

We have got too many strikers. Problem is 4 of them aren't ready and the other is Boyle, who's a wee bit raw.

If Farid was fit and playing and any of the others showed promise, I'd happily let 2 go.