PDA

View Full Version : Playing Premiership matches abroad

PatHead
08-12-2015, 12:34 PM
Being investigated according to BBC and Doncaster. Wish he would stick to improving the game here instead of taking matches away from Easter Road or the likes.

Playing Premiership matches abroad "could be part of an exciting new future", says Scottish Professional Football League chief Neil Doncaster.
Celtic and Dundee are exploring the possibility of playing a Premiership fixture in the USA. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34906274)
Doncaster says Scottish football should keep an open mind regarding any ideas that could help the game to grow.
"We owe it to everyone involved to look at what's possible and work through the ramifications," Doncaster said.
Talks between Celtic and Dundee are at an advanced stage, with Boston and Philadelphia potential host cities for a league fixture between the sides next season. The clubs plan to put a formal proposal before the SPFL in the next few weeks.
"Certainly if we're talking about innovation, that is exciting innovation," Doncaster told BBC Scotland.
"I think there are all sorts of considerations that have to be worked through. The Premier League had similar plans south of the border a few years ago which ultimately came to nothing (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34872925) , but there is a demand there to explore it.
"Let's not have a closed mind to anything. Let's see how it could be part of an exciting new future for the game."

Famous Fiver
08-12-2015, 12:42 PM
Doncaster is a dolt.

UEFA/FIFA will not allow it. End of.

What would he say if Chelsea decided to play Liverpool in Glasgow the same day as the mighty Huns were taking on Alloa at Hunbrox?

Can't believe the man is so stupid.

CropleyWasGod
08-12-2015, 12:46 PM
This thing about Celtic and Dundee is a strange one.

If "talks are at an advanced stage", that suggests to me that Dundee KNOW they will still be in the top league next season. Does that mean that they expect reorganisation, and that there will be no relegation this season?

PatHead
08-12-2015, 12:48 PM

If "talks are at an advanced stage", that suggests to me that Dundee KNOW they will still be in the top league next season. Does that mean that they expect reorganisation, and that there will be no relegation this season?

Only if The Rangers are still struggling come March. :greengrin

Suppose at least they are not touting an Bigot Firm match

Gatecrasher
08-12-2015, 12:55 PM
nothing but a Celtic promotional tool, bin it and move on to the next half baked idea.

Steve20
08-12-2015, 12:55 PM
So basically, tough luck if you're a season ticket holder unless you're willing to travel abroad to watch the matches played there.

jgl07
08-12-2015, 12:56 PM

Well the revamped League Cup with group stages is to be launched next season.

Could it be that is to replace the lost fixtures caused by League expansion?

Eight groups of five teams would produce an extra four matches for most PD teams possibly one more for those in UEFA competitions. It could also probably be rigged to include an extra Glasgow and Edinburgh Derby.

CropleyWasGod
08-12-2015, 12:57 PM

Eight groups of five teams would produce an extra four matches for most PD teams possibly one more for those in UEFA competitions. It could also probably be rigged to include an extra Glasgow and Edinburgh Derby.

Isn't it just 2?

Thought it was 2 home, 2 away?

PatHead
08-12-2015, 01:00 PM

Doubt they can "rig" it to get the extra derby as it is unlikely Celtic will ever be in the group stages. If regionalised every chance Hibs and Hearts could be though. It will allow Celtic and others to arrange glamour friendlies or to play in pre-season tournaments which would be more lucrative for them.

As I said earlier it is definately the first step to summer football.

LancsHibs
08-12-2015, 01:05 PM

Maybe that they assume they will be in the premier league next year, i.e don't expect to be relegated :dunno: To be fare I don't expect them to be relegated either.

JimBHibees
08-12-2015, 01:08 PM

Maybe it is this season