PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs on talk sport

blackpoolhibs
08-12-2015, 10:09 AM
Just got in the car and caught the last sentence of an interview with him. All I heard was him saying he wants to manage at the highest level, anyone hear the rest of what was said?

w pilton hibby
08-12-2015, 10:22 AM
More here

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/alan-stubbs-in-no-hurry-to-leave-hibs-1-3969478

CallumLaidlaw
08-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Just got in the car and caught the last sentence of an interview with him. All I heard was him saying he wants to manage at the highest level, anyone hear the rest of what was said?

I didn't hear it, but sounds like he was just repeating what he said to the BBC yesterday -
"As a player I wanted to play at the highest level. As a coach or a manager then one day I would like to coach at the highest level. If I didn't have those aspirations and dreams then there would be no point in me entering this business that I am in."

4 Front Teeth
08-12-2015, 11:25 AM
Sounded to me that he will leave if he gets a good offer. He had plenty chances to say that in the short term he wants to stay and win the league but didn't say so.

The board would be mad to not have a draft short list in case something happens.

SeanWilson
08-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Sounded to me that he will leave if he gets a good offer. He had plenty chances to say that in the short term he wants to stay and win the league but didn't say so.

The board would be mad to not have a draft short list in case something happens.

i didn't get that at all (though i dont doubt that he would)... i just think he is a very straight talking, no nonsense kind of guy. I'd rather exactly what it says on the tin than that plonker over in Govan, respectfully. :wink:

4 Front Teeth
08-12-2015, 11:35 AM
i didn't get that at all (though i dont doubt that he would)... i just think he is a very straight talking, no nonsense kind of guy. I'd rather exactly what it says on the tin than that plonker over in Govan, respectfully. :wink:

Seemed to me like Big Al was trying to prompt him to say he wanted to finish the job but he didn't bite.

BH Hibs
08-12-2015, 11:40 AM

He also said he was happy here and the only way to get offers is by winning games. Pretty much what he's said along tbh. I don't think he's going anywhere this season unless something were to happen at Celtc. Even then they may think he's too inexperienced and I don't think they'll sack Deila.:gwa:

Ozyhibby
08-12-2015, 12:01 PM
I would have preferred if he had said he would be finishing the season no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not In The Know
08-12-2015, 12:20 PM
i hope he stays, he owes us to the end of the season at least. Mind you if he doesn't get us promoted i don't think any team will be after him...

Makes you wonder how no clubs have been linked to Nielson over the road?

Billy Whizz
08-12-2015, 12:22 PM
i hope he stays, he owes us to the end of the season at least. Mind you if he doesn't get us promoted i don't think any team will be after him...

Makes you wonder how no clubs have been linked to Nielson over the road?

Probably because Nielson doesn't pick the team

Famous Fiver
08-12-2015, 12:39 PM
Definitely got ambitions to 'manage at the highest level'.

Why didn't he say that he is at a club with massive potential, opportunity to get into Premier League and take the club on to trophies and European football? In other words there is a career here for him. Quite definitely did not say that, and if he jumps on to the managerial merry go round he'll go the same way as the rest of them. Spun off in no time.

Stay here and build it Alan. There is plenty of opportunity and reward here. The grass is not always greener.

J-C
08-12-2015, 12:44 PM

Why didn't he say that he is at a club with massive potential, opportunity to get into Premier League and take the club on to trophies and European football? In other words there is a career here for him. Quite definitely did not say that, and if he jumps on to the managerial merry go round he'll go the same way as the rest of them. Spun off in no time.

Stay here and build it Alan. There is plenty of opportunity and reward here. The grass is not always greener.

I can see what you are saying, too quick to jump ship to a so called bigger club, Mowbray did the same and was probably still a rookie manager when he went to W Brom and TBH hasn't really done anything of note since he left, Stubbs would do well to think on that before he decides the time is right.

Steve20
08-12-2015, 12:57 PM
If he leaves us and we're still in the second tier, then his time here can't be called a success. He's improved us on the pitch but I think he owes us promotion for giving him his first steps in management.

Salt N Sauzee
08-12-2015, 01:21 PM
I can see what you are saying, too quick to jump ship to a so called bigger club, Mowbray did the same and was probably still a rookie manager when he went to W Brom and TBH hasn't really done anything of note since he left, Stubbs would do well to think on that before he decides the time is right.

I would say taking West Brom up to the Premier League and into an FA Cup Semi Final in the same season is a pretty notable achievement.

Admittedly his time Celtic was a failure. But he done alright with Middlesbrough, he took them from battling down the bottom of the Championship to the right end of the table. And right now he has Coventry sitting 2nd in League One.

Think it's unfair that he's judged by fans up here solely on his time with Celtic as he's done quite well everywhere else he's been.

SeanWilson
08-12-2015, 01:25 PM

probably because as much as all of what you say is true... Scottish football is still absolutely shate and at the end of the day 'managing at the top level' would not constitute taking hibs in to a pre season european nonventure against shamrock rovers...

PatHead
08-12-2015, 01:27 PM
The problem with being a football manager is that you are only a couple of games away from the sack. Remember at the beginning of the season there were a number of posters wanting Stubbs emptied after the The Rangers match or if we didn't win the league. Wonder what they think now?

Anyway, you couldn't blame Stubbs for taking a higher paid job with a larger profile down south. Don't want it to happen but I am sure it will someday. On the whole clubs don't show loyalty to their managers so why should the managers show loyalty to the club.

Who was our last manager to see out his contract, Blobby?

BSEJVT
08-12-2015, 01:38 PM
I would have preferred if he had said he would be finishing the season no matter what.

Whilst there is no doubt that most of us would like to have heard that.

It would have been a soundbite nothing more

GJP anyone?

lucky
08-12-2015, 02:05 PM
He's no different to any other in football, if he gets a good offer else where he'll go. But the only way he'll get one is if Hibs are winning games. He knows success for Hibs = success for him. It's a win win

NAE NOOKIE
08-12-2015, 02:18 PM
He's no different to any other in football, if he gets a good offer else where he'll go. But the only way he'll get one is if Hibs are winning games. He knows success for Hibs = success for him. It's a win win

:agree:

JimBHibees
08-12-2015, 02:35 PM
probably because as much as all of what you say is true... Scottish football is still absolutely shate and at the end of the day 'managing at the top level' would not constitute taking hibs in to a pre season european nonventure against shamrock rovers...

What do you mean non-advernture that would be a great trip. :greengrin

DavieRoy
08-12-2015, 04:35 PM
http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/scottish-football/10092357/stubbs-dismisses-reading-link

Jim44
08-12-2015, 04:48 PM
If they are claiming that Aretha's rant was not much of a denial, Stubb's was even less of a denial. While I don't think that he will leave us for the Reading job if the rumours hot up, his words there give him plenty of scope for accepting a job with another club at any time in the future.

Thecat23
08-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Kind of feel for Stubbs here. He can't say he's going to stay 100% because you never know what offer is round the corner! So if he did say that then left us the fans would call him a judas etc.

He's handled it very well and he's saying all he can without lying. If a bigger club comes for him (which they will) we will hopefully be in a position where we ourselves have a shortlist of managers that could easily fill the void he leaves.

My concern is that we manage to get a full coaching team as good as this one. It's not just Stubbs that we will lose as the others will no doubt follow. So a lot to think about for our board. In the meantime I say enjoy him as he's Hibs manager right now and that's good enough for me.

California-Hibs
08-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Wish he would come out and be blunt about not going anywhere but I understand how he's answering the questions. I personally would be absolutely devastated if Stubbs was to leave us. He's massively important to us!

Thecat23
08-12-2015, 05:17 PM
If he leaves us and we're still in the second tier, then his time here can't be called a success. He's improved us on the pitch but I think he owes us promotion for giving him his first steps in management.

Considering the mess we were in when he walked in the door to the foundations that he's put in place for anyone else that comes in, that itself is successful. Make no mistake when Butcher went we were a shambles top to bottom.

PatHead
08-12-2015, 05:18 PM
Not wanting him to go but the Hibs job is far more attractive than it was when he arrived with Rod no longer in charge.

Thecat23
08-12-2015, 05:18 PM
Wish he would come out and be blunt about not going anywhere but I understand how he's answering the questions. I personally would be absolutely devastated if Stubbs was to leave us. He's massively important to us!

I'll be gutted the day he goes as well. But managers lifespan at clubs is something like 3 years max so we just need to be ready to get someone in who's like minded.

SeanWilson
08-12-2015, 05:33 PM
What do you mean non-advernture that would be a great trip. :greengrin

😂😂😂 yeah, fair play!

Viva_Palmeiras
08-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Considering the mess we were in when he walked in the door to the foundations that he's put in place for anyone else that comes in, that itself is successful. Make no mistake when Butcher went we were a shambles top to bottom.

Hope to God we've learned the lessons otherwise all the repeated pain was worthless.

Lago
08-12-2015, 07:02 PM

I agree with you, unfortunately I think he could leave us than we expect or want, remember his family are all down South.

Thecat23
08-12-2015, 07:16 PM
Hope to God we've learned the lessons otherwise all the repeated pain was worthless.

You and me both. I do believe having LD here is a huge factor in how we have changed the way we do things!

Aldo
08-12-2015, 07:26 PM
You and me both. I do believe having LD here is a huge factor in how we have changed the way we do things!

I think it's a given that the club will not make many wholesale changes like the previous 7 years.

A lot of time effort and money has gone into changing the club and its ethos.

I would think that when Stubbs does decide to go then a similar type manager with the same ethos and style of play will be brought in.

That's what I hope anyway.

Thecat23
08-12-2015, 07:42 PM
I think it's a given that the club will not make many wholesale changes like the previous 7 years.

A lot of time effort and money has gone into changing the club and its ethos.

I would think that when Stubbs does decide to go then a similar type manager with the same ethos and style of play will be brought in.

That's what I hope anyway.

Yep, those kind of changes will destroy anything that's been built up. Southampton and Swansea model I'd expect we will try copy.

Aldo
08-12-2015, 07:51 PM
Yep, those kind of changes will destroy anything that's been built up. Southampton and Swansea model I'd expect we will try copy.

Agreed. Will be along those lines I would suspect!

Zazu62
08-12-2015, 09:11 PM
If he was to leave. Who would be the next gaffer?

bingo70
08-12-2015, 09:15 PM

John Doolan would be my bet.

We've made a big deal about wanting continuity and trying to follow Swansea and southamptons model, John Doolan had just started to deal with the Wigan first team when he joined us, wouldn't surprise me at all if one of the attractions was the likelihood of him getting the managers job if Stubbs proved to be a success.

Zazu62
08-12-2015, 09:18 PM
John Doolan would be my bet.

We've made a big deal about wanting continuity and trying to follow Swansea and southamptons model, John Doolan had just started to deal with the Wigan first team when he joined us, wouldn't surprise me at all if one of the attractions was the likelihood of him getting the managers job if Stubbs proved to be a success.

Wouldn't he go with Stubbs?

eastterrace
08-12-2015, 09:52 PM

tango man maybe, joking maybe michael oneil as after the euros his northern ireland can only go one way.

bingo70
08-12-2015, 09:55 PM
Wouldn't he go with Stubbs?

No idea, I've never asked him.

I think that'd be the right way to go for us though and I think getting offered the job could be appealing to him.

Would depend on what he wants to do though, he might have no interest in becoming a manager .

J-C
08-12-2015, 10:05 PM

I think that'd be the right way to go for us though and I think getting offered the job could be appealing to him.

Would depend on what he wants to do though, he might have no interest in becoming a manager .

Not really a manager now though, head coach with LD doing a lot of the behind the scenes running of the club, all he has to do is coach and point out the players he wants brought in.

bingo70
08-12-2015, 10:12 PM
Not really a manager now though, head coach with LD doing a lot of the behind the scenes running of the club, all he has to do is coach and point out the players he wants brought in.

sorry, not sure I get you, are you saying that's all Stubbs does? Also not sure how that differs from a traditional type manager?

If that is what you mean I'd disagree with you, he has to deal with the media, the pressure of every decision coming under scrutiny, has to motivate players (not just coach them), he has to convince players to join us and he would have to deal with being much more in the public eye than he was when he was assistant.

Apologies if I picked you up wrong and that's not what you meant

jabis
08-12-2015, 10:21 PM
Outed happy clapper here........he's here.......enjoy............ftf with who's next carp !

silverhibee
08-12-2015, 11:48 PM

I think if Stubbs got a decent gig Doolan would move with him.

erin go bragh
09-12-2015, 12:47 AM
Stubbs said he has aspirations to manage at the very top . Nothing wrong with that . He will leave with my best wishes once the treble is won :)

GGTTH

Ronniekirk
09-12-2015, 08:05 AM
There is nothing new in what he is saying that's always been his view and he was up front from the start he was ambitious and wanted to manage at the highest level .
Given the job has done so far ,it's hardly surprising that other Clubs are not taking notice .i am sure his preference would be to stay and get us promoted and That in itself will raise his stock ,and would lead to even more interest.
Agree with The Cat , he could easily have been tempted to endear himself to the fans by saying I have a job to finish at Hibs and I will stay ,get them promoted ,and look forward to the challenge managing them in the top leaugue .But he knows that's already there for him ,and if that's what he thinks is best for his Managerial career that's what he will do .
But he is a honest person as the Scott Allan situation showed .He has said he is Ambitions and that means when he thinks the time is right and the right Club comes along ,he will move to help further his Ambition to Manage at the Highest level ,and some of our key players will move to do likewise .That's just a fact now in modern Football .
But I also agree with The other poster that said lets just enjoy him and the current players while they are here ,starting with a Bumper Crowd for the Falkirk game ,given we haven't played for three weeks

09-12-2015, 10:46 AM
Stubbs hasn't said or done anything wrong. He's remained respectful to our Club (unlike Steve Clarke - who like Calderwood wanted to publicly see if another club had a better selection of sweeties). Stubbs wants to work at the highest level. He's said what any ambitious person would say about their future job prospects regardless of what profession they are in. I want this in any manager at Hibernian.

What do supporters want to hear? .....I'm going nowhere. Not going to happen. Managers and players know that its all about keeping your stock high. Behind both are agents who work hard ensuring that their clients who have value get talked about in the media and in the case of Managers more importantly boardrooms. Stubbs being on Sky Sports beams his CV to every potential suitor, and given he was there to talk about being Manager of the month for the second month running just adds further to the CV.

I think he's doing a great job but his big test comes between now and the end of the season. Win promotion and his stock gets even higher. God forbid, no promotion his stock will come crashing down.

McLeish like Stubbs rebuilt a team that played attractive football and won more than they lost. Eck overstayed his time at Hibs and lost interest and we stuttered once his head had been turned by David Murray. I hope Alan keeps his focus through these distractions and sees out the season with promotion in the bag and a good tilt at both Cup. If he succeeds we succeed. If he does that his stock will be as high as it can be and it will probably be the time to move on.

Until then :gwa:

Hibeesmad
09-12-2015, 10:54 AM
Reading set to appoint Brian McDermott today, betting has been suspended.

Lago
09-12-2015, 12:02 PM

Swansea on the verge of binning their current manager having previously binned a manager, not much of a role model to follow I would suggest.

Thecat23
09-12-2015, 12:10 PM
Swansea on the verge of binning their current manager having previously binned a manager, not much of a role model to follow I would suggest.

Laudrup wasn't a bad manager, didn't he get them into the Europa Cup? Anyway the structure they have has showed what can happen when they replace a manager with someone with the same ideas.

Just because they have sacked one and look like binning Monk shortly doesn't mean their model doesn't work. The history tells they have done very well since they changed they way they want to play and build a side.

Southampton have the same philosophy.

bigwheel
09-12-2015, 12:14 PM

With average term for an EPL manger sitting about 14 months - Monk has done better than average .....

Big L
09-12-2015, 09:54 PM
I think R onnie Deila will be binned at the end of this season and if Stubbs gets an interview I think he will get the job! I think thats why he's up here. The top guys like Moyes etc don't need the hassle an old firm gig brings which limits celtics choice.