PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian History Day 114

big-mo
05-12-2015, 09:22 AM
Season 1988-89

Former Barcelona star, Steve Archibald was signed despite stiff competition from Liverpool; he becomes that season’s club’s top scorer with 15 goals.

3rd October, Gordon Rae was awarded a testimonial; Hibs played Manchester United but lost 3-0.

October, Hibs again make history when they are the first club in the country to be listed on the stock exchange. Fans bought 62.5% of the available shares in Hibs at a cost of 55p each; this was branded as “an opportunity to share in Hibernian’s future”. The shares were soon trading at 75p. It was later revealed that more than half of the £2m raised went to pay off loans to a Dutch-registered company, again owned by David Rowland. By the end of the year shares had dropped to 35p each and at one point were standing at a low of 18p.

November, Hibs ended up in dispute with Lord Lyon who was responsible for the use of Heraldic symbols in Scotland; the club crest encompassed a crown which had never been approved by the Lord Lyon. A competition was held for a new design for the new crest.

May, Hibs finished 5th in the league and qualified for Europe for the first time in 11 years.

Season results –
Scottish Cup S/F
League Cup 4th round
League SPD 5/10 Pld36 W13 D9 L14 F35 A42 Pts31

southsider
05-12-2015, 09:41 AM
I still have my share certificate ((somewhere). Imagine us signing a player from FC Barca now !

hibsfan7
05-12-2015, 10:45 AM
i still have my share certificate ((somewhere). Imagine us signing a player from fc barca now !

as long as it was messi