Reading sack Steve Clarke according to sky

greenginger
04-12-2015, 08:53 AM

What's his odds for the Fulham job ? :greengrin

Billy Whizz
04-12-2015, 08:58 AM

When you go for an interview with another club, when you're already in employment, you can't expect the fans to support you. Deserves all he gets

Big_Franck
04-12-2015, 09:15 AM
When you go for an interview with another club, when you're already in employment, you can't expect the fans to support you. Deserves all he gets

Totally agree. Clarke comes across as a bit of a knob IMO.

zlatan
04-12-2015, 09:15 AM
I lost £50 because Mikey said he was gonna be our next manager after Hughes. I think of that and weep every time I read his name.

J-C
04-12-2015, 09:17 AM
I lost £50 because Mikey said he was gonna be our next manager after Hughes. I think of that and weep every time I read his name.

He was interviewed for the job here though but wages were out our league.

hibs0666
04-12-2015, 09:32 AM
Warby's the man for this gig.

Caversham Green
04-12-2015, 09:45 AM
Not a surprise, He was given a very clear warning after the Fulham fiasco that results and style had to improve.

I've never really warmed to the man, for no particular reason, but for a run of about 5-6 games he had the team playing as well as I've seen them even in the promotion years - before and after that they were pretty awful. There's actually a bit of the Butcher about him - well regarded but his record is actually pretty poor.

I just pray the Royals don't go for 'Warby' now. Aside from Reading, his Brentford side were the worst footballing side I saw at the Mad last season. Very obvious that Davie Weir was coaching them.

jacomo
04-12-2015, 09:49 AM
Not a surprise, He was given a very clear warning after the Fulham fiasco that results and style had to improve.

I've never really warmed to the man, for no particular reason, but for a run of about 5-6 games he had the team playing as well as I've seen them even in the promotion years - before and after that they were pretty awful. There's actually a bit of the Butcher about him - well regarded but his record is actually pretty poor.

I just pray the Royals don't go for 'Warby' now. Aside from Reading, his Brentford side were the worst footballing side I saw at the Mad last season. Very obvious that Davie Weir was coaching them.

Can't believe Clarke even entertained the idea of moving to Fulham. If he wants to succeed as a manager, he needed to stay at a club for long enough to show some real achievements.

Also, fans don't like their manager or players openly considering somewhere else, and rightly so.

Caversham Green
04-12-2015, 09:58 AM
Can't believe Clarke even entertained the idea of moving to Fulham. If he wants to succeed as a manager, he needed to stay at a club for long enough to show some real achievements.

Also, fans don't like their manager or players openly considering somewhere else, and rightly so.

Correct. Fulham was really no more than a sideways move - if it was a PL club they would mostly have been understanding about it.

According to the club he's been 'relieved of his duties'.
http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-steve-clarke-relieved-of-his-duties-2834510.aspx
that sounds like gardening leave to me so the move to Fulham might still not be on. 'Warby' would be a better fit for them anyway.

Smartie
04-12-2015, 10:02 AM
Warby's gonna need to wrestle his magic hat back off Stubbs if he's to get any of these jobs.

hibs0666
04-12-2015, 10:05 AM
Why is Chewy never mentioned in relation to these gigs?

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-12-2015, 12:57 PM
Left Reading with no real option. Must think a lot of himself.
Billy Davies is in the same mould IMO.

J-C
04-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Left Reading with no real option. Must think a lot of himself.
Billy Davies is in the same mould IMO.

Not having any problem wasn't the problem, speaking to Fulham while under contract was.

Smartie
04-12-2015, 01:56 PM
Smacks of the Calderwood "sweeties" incident only this time the club have done the right thing.

I'm glad to see this happen, he's not an easy guy to warm to and he disrespected Reading by speaking to Fulham who aren't really a step up in any way.

Although - like Calderwood - he'll probably land on his feet again fairly soon with a cushy assistant's post somewhere.

ancient hibee
04-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Another good coach who runs into difficulty when having to put it altogether and pick the right players.

eastmainsmsh
04-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Think Pearson or Brian McDermott or magic prat

Haymaker
04-12-2015, 07:50 PM
Another good coach who runs into difficulty when having to put it altogether and pick the right players.

Agreed, he is a very good coach but being the top man is another thing entirely.

Caversham Green
04-12-2015, 09:12 PM
Think Pearson or Brian McDermott or magic prat

Pearson looks like the early favourite but Reading have Thai owners now and his son disgraced himself in Thailand....

Sherwood's also getting a lot of mentions but I wouldn't be surprised if they just promoted Martin Kuhl. I still think Martin Keown might fancy having a go at management, and he's be a good fit at Reading.

Smartie
04-12-2015, 10:09 PM
Pearson looks like the early favourite but Reading have Thai owners now and his son disgraced himself in Thailand....

Sherwood's also getting a lot of mentions but I wouldn't be surprised if they just promoted Martin Kuhl. I still think Martin Keown might fancy having a go at management, and he's be a good fit at Reading.

This is the first time I've heard of him since I had about 20 doubles of his panini football sticker in about 1986 when he played for Birmingham City.

Him and bloomin' John Barnes. I had hundreds of him.

Caversham Green
05-12-2015, 08:25 AM
This is the first time I've heard of him since I had about 20 doubles of his panini football sticker in about 1986 when he played for Birmingham City.

Him and bloomin' John Barnes. I had hundreds of him.

He's youth team coach at Reading at the moment - in temporary charge of the first team since Clarke's departure. Maybe doesn't sound promising but it worked well with Brian McDermott who was nominally head scout until Rodgers was sacked.

His son Aaron is on Reading's books and I think he's still on loan to Dundee United. Promising youngster by all accounts.

Billy Whizz
05-12-2015, 08:27 AM
He's youth team coach at Reading at the moment - in temporary charge of the first team since Clarke's departure. Maybe doesn't sound promising but it worked well with Brian McDermott who was nominally head scout until Rodgers was sacked.

His son Aaron is on Reading's books and I think he's still on loan to Dundee United. Promising youngster by all accounts.
Is he the David Luiz look alike?

Caversham Green
05-12-2015, 08:29 AM
Is he the David Luiz look alike?

Yep, that's him.

How's he doing at the Arabs?

Billy Whizz
05-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Yep, that's him.

How's he doing at the Arabs?

Not too well, can't remember if he played against us

Caversham Green
05-12-2015, 08:40 AM

He was on the fringes of the first team here - came on as sub a few times but I never actually saw him play.

No doubt he'll be the first name on the sheet if his old man gets the gig.

Big L
05-12-2015, 08:21 PM
He was interviewed for the job here though but wages were out our league.

He never got as far as an interview, his story is that Petrie called him and asked if he was interested, he said yes, and never heard another squeak!!

J-C
05-12-2015, 08:30 PM
He never got as far as an interview, his story is that Petrie called him and asked if he was interested, he said yes, and never heard another squeak!!

Only going by what I was told, still didn't come here either way.

Caversham Green
06-12-2015, 08:01 AM

The story at Fulham was that he had virtually agreed the deal and then when the story broke he (or more accurately, his agent) started demanding add-ons. That's why Reading made a point of saying that Fulham had acted honourably throughout. There were similar stories at the time he was linked with Hibs - maybe that's how his agent works.

Anyway, given his performance and conduct I'm not sorry we missed out.

PatHead
06-12-2015, 07:37 PM

He did Billy

Got subbed and was pish.

Heard his loan will not go beyond January. Utd fans can't believe he was so highly rated,

Mr White
06-12-2015, 07:43 PM
He did Billy

Got subbed and was pish.

Heard his loan will not go beyond January. Utd fans can't believe he was so highly rated,

Was watching the yams game at Tannadice on bt a couple of months ago and kuhl stood out for 1. Looking like sideshow bob and 2. A ridiculous flicked up to him free kick that went a couple of feet over the bar. Looked humpty.

lucky
06-12-2015, 07:45 PM
At a fans meeting RP hinted Clarke did have the job but refused to move to Edinburgh so Hibs withdrew the offer.