PDA

View Full Version : Portland Timbers Displays

Bay Area Hibees
03-12-2015, 08:29 PM
These guys go to a lot of effort, impressive displays.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/03/portland-timbers-army-tifo-mls-cup

SausageSurprise
03-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Seems a bit too green brigadey for me

greenlex
04-12-2015, 03:28 AM
Their mascot is a real lumberjack with a chainsaw. Every time they score he cuts a big slice of a huge **** off log. You just catch a bit of the slice in the clip. The scorer gets presented with it. Clean sheet and the keeper gets one. The mascot has an impressive beard.:xtree2 that's what I'm Talkin aboot.

Cabbage East
04-12-2015, 06:06 AM
Tragic.

Bristolhibby
04-12-2015, 07:12 AM
I like the Tetris song they are singing.

J

Badger0762
04-12-2015, 09:47 AM
These guys go to a lot of effort, impressive displays.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/03/portland-timbers-army-tifo-mls-cup

Always enjoyed going to those games when I lived there:

Good atmosphere with the 22,000 sell out every game
Felt safe taking my daughters to all games
Able to have a pint or 2 during the game
Fans put in a lot of effort in those pre-match displays
positive atmosphere and always behind the team, don't think I ever heard them booed off at halftime or the end of a game

Tragic indeed.....

sambajustice
04-12-2015, 11:26 AM
Seems a bit too green brigadey for me

Is that Bobby Sands in the middle of that first one... :)

NAE NOOKIE
04-12-2015, 12:16 PM
Tragic.

I wish Easter Road was that 'tragic' every week.

4,000 folk behind the goals giving it everything they can to support the team and bringing noise and colour to the stadium ( in our colours too ) They take their inspiration from what they perceive European fans to be like, but the truth is there isn't a group of fans, certainly in the UK, who can hold a candle to them.

Of all American sports 'Soccer' is clearly the least sanitised and that's a source of pride to most American fitba fans as far as I can see. So much so, that I know they use the fact as a stick to beat followers of Baseball and American football with.

Its what Scottish football could have been like until the joyless merchants of doom over reacted to the Heysel and Hillsborough tragedies and the game became so controlled that you were treated like a drum set in a library if you tried to start a song and a bamboo stick with a flag on it became a deadly weapon.

If the choice was between what the Portland Timbers have and what we have in Scotland these days I know which one I would choose .... 'in a bloody heartbeat'

Biggie
04-12-2015, 01:23 PM

4,000 folk behind the goals giving it everything they can to support the team and bringing noise and colour to the stadium ( in our colours too ) They take their inspiration from what they perceive European fans to be like, but the truth is there isn't a group of fans, certainly in the UK, who can hold a candle to them.

Of all American sports 'Soccer' is clearly the least sanitised and that's a source of pride to most American fitba fans as far as I can see. So much so, that I know they use the fact as a stick to beat followers of Baseball and American football with.

Its what Scottish football could have been like until the joyless merchants of doom over reacted to the Heysel and Hillsborough tragedies and the game became so controlled that you were treated like a drum set in a library if you tried to start a song and a bamboo stick with a flag on it became a deadly weapon.

If the choice was between what the Portland Timbers have and what we have in Scotland these days I know which one I would choose .... 'in a bloody heartbeat'

A big **** off one like these at a rangers / hearts game would be class...especially one mocking their finances, or cheating. The Milan fans do these at the san siro and they look epic.
Even one to cover the gaping spaces of empty seats most weeks would make ER look a bit busier.

Badger0762
04-12-2015, 01:45 PM

Spot on. I took my 15 year old to a game there in July - she was joining in the songs, and went a little nuts when "we" (they are my 2nd team) scored a last minute winner.
Took her to a game earlier this season here and she asked not to go back. Her comment was that the Hibs games were "depressing with a negative atmosphere".
People complain at the lack of fans and wonder why!

GreenLake
04-12-2015, 01:54 PM
It will be great to see the Timbers win their first MLS Cup and rub Seattle's nose in it. :greengrin

Onceinawhile
05-12-2015, 12:41 AM
It will be great to see the Timbers win their first MLS Cup and rub Seattle's nose in it. :greengrin

Indeed. It would give the residents difficulty sleeping.

Sleepless in seattle a?

Ozyhibby
05-12-2015, 03:04 AM
I think it looks class. We could do with some of that here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KWJ
05-12-2015, 05:55 AM
Haven't been to an MLS game yet but my question and concern is how much the fans care about the actual game on the pitch?

I think that's what British and other Europeans find toughest to connect with, it's more about the entertainment than the desire for your team to win. Maybe it's not a bad thing.

I mind going to an Asian Champions League match in Melbourne where Victory needed to win to have a chance to progress. 2 mins to go and it should've been nail biting stuff. Instead the fans were doing a conga round the stadium.

I went to an NBA game and the atmosphere and whole thing was great fun while the game itself, as seems to be the case with NBA, might as well have been the last quarter alone.

I really enjoy the NHL games but with them being so often (82 in regular season with 3/7 making playoffs and chance for 5/7) each game doesn't have that must win feel about it. Again though, really good entertainment.

KWJ
05-12-2015, 05:58 AM
To add to that though, I should say I think I'd have more enthusiasm about taking a tourist to a Flames game than Hibs game. I used to be all about taking visitors to one of the bigger games but while the passion remains they have a more sinister element that I don't necessarily want to introduce visitors to.

NAE NOOKIE
05-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Spot on. I took my 15 year old to a game there in July - she was joining in the songs, and went a little nuts when "we" (they are my 2nd team) scored a last minute winner.
Took her to a game earlier this season here and she asked not to go back. Her comment was that the Hibs games were "depressing with a negative atmosphere".
People complain at the lack of fans and wonder why!

Its pretty clear that I'm a fan of what happens at Portland, but that doesn't mean to say that we cant have our moments ... in the recent games against Aberdeen and especially Dundee Utd Easter Road was rocking and proved ( not for the first time ) that it doesn't have to be packed out for it to have a great atmosphere.

Unfortunately our games in this league just don't get the crowd going because there isn't that end to end football you get in games against premiership clubs.

God Petrie
05-12-2015, 12:55 PM
Dismal level of football. Hard to take any fans seriously who don't have a footballing history to be honest.

NAE NOOKIE
05-12-2015, 01:08 PM
Dismal level of football. Hard to take any fans seriously who don't have a footballing history to be honest.

Oh FFS .... That's the sort of comment I'd expect from the maroon side of town.

Bishop Hibee
05-12-2015, 02:15 PM
A bit too manufactured for me but the U.S. Is a different culture than Scotland. No denying it all looks good but no way does their club mean the same to them as Hibs does to tens of thousands of Hibs fans who've lived and breathed Hibs all their life.

Good to see the States beginning to embrace the world sport at last though.

greenlex
06-12-2015, 09:36 PM

2 up in 7 mins.😎

silverhibee
06-12-2015, 09:44 PM
2 up in 7 mins.

Nice to hear. :greengrin

silverhibee
06-12-2015, 09:45 PM
2-1

greenlex
06-12-2015, 10:02 PM
Kin boooo

mca
06-12-2015, 10:07 PM
That Fattie Boyd - Spoiled it all.. :wink:

God Petrie
06-12-2015, 10:09 PM
Oh FFS .... That's the sort of comment I'd expect from the maroon side of town.

Can you make a coherent counter point instead of unimaginative "you're a Jambo" Patter

silverhibee
06-12-2015, 11:25 PM
Timbers save my weekend. :thumbsup: :nanafunk:

Thecat23
06-12-2015, 11:46 PM
Can you make a coherent counter point instead of unimaginative "you're a Jambo" Patter

So because they don't have history you can't take them seriously? Isn't that bad 'patter.'

Bit of a daft thing to say as they are playing in a better league than we are just now!

NAE NOOKIE
07-12-2015, 11:30 AM

Its quite simple GP

Your statement smacked of arrogance and snobbery. What you were suggesting is that because the Timbers are a new club ( there has in fact been various incarnations of them since the 70s ) their fans efforts to support the club are to be dismissed as a passing fad, or not worthy of praise by us 'real' football fans.

When Hibs were founded in 1875 there was no model to copy as far as 'fan culture' went and like every other club from that time our fan culture and the clubs place in the community grew over decades, as did the size of its following, just like every other club in Europe.

Its different for fans of clubs in MLS ...... They are coming into the game with over a hundred years of European and South American fan culture to take inspiration from and a mass media to showcase and advertise the game, it is hardly a surprise that they are acting accordingly. One thing they do have to contend with that we didn't is four other major professional sports two or three of which are so ingrained in the American psyche that they look on 'soccer' as practically un American. Or to quote Sheldon Cooper in 'The Big Bang Theory' ...... "a commie plot" :greengrin Followers of these other sports appear to take the same snobby attitude to 'soccer' fans as you do.

The American's learnt a lesson from the failed models of the 70s and with the possible exceptions of New York City and LA Galaxy they have ditched the practice of filling their teams with knackered old 'galacticos' from Europe, so much so that fans of the other clubs take the piss out of New York City for their signing policy.

MLS is not going to go away like the old leagues of the 70s that much is clear ... the new model is much more sustainable and much more focussed on building a community fan base that will follow clubs in the good and the bad times ... the prime example of that is Portland Timbers and the fact that many clubs are spending hundreds of millions building their own stadiums. MLS in spite of massive competition from other sports that we don't have to contend with is already one of the best supported leagues in the world.

For all these reasons I found your attitude to the Timbers fans to be unfairly and arrogantly dismissive and of the same mindset that encourages Yams to dismiss us as 'the wee team' or pundits on 'Talk sport radio' to dismiss the Europa League as an irrelevance because its too small a competition for the giants of English football.

Ozyhibby
07-12-2015, 11:36 AM
Its quite simple GP

Your statement smacked of arrogance and snobbery. What you were suggesting is that because the Timbers are a new club ( there has in fact been various incarnations of them since the 70s ) their fans efforts to support the club are to be dismissed as a passing fad, or not worthy of praise by us 'real' football fans.

When Hibs were founded in 1875 there was no model to copy as far as 'fan culture' went and like every other club from that time our fan culture and the clubs place in the community grew over decades, as did the size of its following, just like every other club in Europe.

Its different for fans of clubs in MLS ...... They are coming into the game with over a hundred years of European and South American fan culture to take inspiration from and a mass media to showcase and advertise the game, it is hardly a surprise that they are acting accordingly. One thing they do have to contend with that we didn't is four other major professional sports two or three of which are so ingrained in the American psyche that they look on 'soccer' as practically un American. Or to quote Sheldon Cooper in 'The Big Bang Theory' ...... "a commie plot" :greengrin Followers of these other sports appear to take the same snobby attitude to 'soccer' fans as you do.

The American's learnt a lesson from the failed models of the 70s and with the possible exceptions of New York City and LA Galaxy they have ditched the practice of filling their teams with knackered old 'galacticos' from Europe, so much so that fans of the other clubs take the piss out of New York City for their signing policy.

MLS is not going to go away like the old leagues of the 70s that much is clear ... the new model is much more sustainable and much more focussed on building a community fan base that will follow clubs in the good and the bad times ... the prime example of that is Portland Timbers and the fact that many clubs are spending hundreds of millions building their own stadiums. MLS in spite of massive competition from other sports that we don't have to contend with is already one of the best supported leagues in the world.

For all these reasons I found your attitude to the Timbers fans to be unfairly and arrogantly dismissive and of the same mindset that encourages Yams to dismiss us as 'the wee team' or pundits on 'Talk sport radio' to dismiss the Europa League as an irrelevance because its too small a competition for the giants of English football.

Great post. It's hard to see us improving our game when people are so resistant to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenLake
07-12-2015, 03:05 PM
Its quite simple GP

Giovani Dos Santos is a young Mexican star, Robbie Keane has never been knackered and Stevie G had a great season until the last few games when the whole team kind of lost form. I loved watching Pirlo and Villa while Frank sat in one of the suites injured unfortunately. Their team is very new and it will take a few years to develop a team at a new club. Pirlo and Villa will help them develop the new players and fill the stadiums everywhere they play. :na na:

We had our first full year as season ticket holders and were over the moon watching the Galaxy games. Much of what you said is exactly what we discovered and I liked it a lot. Games were mostly competitive and of a style of play that was interesting to watch.

Having said that. There is something about watching the Hibees which can't be replaced and I watch live streams early hours with rabid enthusiasm. :greengrin

Vini1875
07-12-2015, 04:08 PM

Exactly. I'd take half as many at ER with half as much enthusiasm and it that would still be far more than we have right now. Colour, songs and flags I would have over the moaners any day.