PDA

View Full Version : Morton game in doubt?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Moulin Yarns
05-12-2015, 10:19 AM
Greenock Morton ‏@Morton_FC (https://twitter.com/Morton_FC) 2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Morton_FC/status/673099156915900416)
Pitch passes inspection so it is GAME ON for today's match vs @HibsOfficial (https://twitter.com/HibsOfficial).

Super_JMcGinn
05-12-2015, 10:23 AM
I have been so looking forward to this game to keep the momentum going. Why would I then have a strange feeling of disappointment when I found out it's going ahead ? I hope the players have the mental fortitude to deal with these horrendous conditions.

Moulin Yarns
05-12-2015, 10:25 AM
Hibernian FC ‏@HibsOfficial (https://twitter.com/HibsOfficial) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/HibsOfficial/status/673100265143328768)
#GMFCvHFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/GMFCvHFC?src=hash): The pitch has passed an inspection. It's game on at Cappielow today

Raith v The new club is off, another chance to keep the pressure on :thumbsup:

liamh2202
05-12-2015, 10:27 AM
The weathers brutal here,, dont think im going to take my boy... Its a real shame the family tickets couldnt be accomodated in the covered stand

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-12-2015, 10:27 AM
What's the weather like

Its absolutely hosing it down, nice big Wetherspoons at foot of the hill from the station, bring your bus pass as I think its over 65s only!

Billy Whizz
05-12-2015, 10:28 AM
The weathers brutal here,, dont think im going to take my boy... Its a real shame the family tickets couldnt be accomodated in the covered stand

2 out of my 3 aren't now going, although they've bought tickets

hibee_nation
05-12-2015, 10:30 AM
Its absolutely hosing it down, nice big Wetherspoons at foot of the hill from the station, bring your bus pass as I think its over 65s only!

That will be the James Watt or Hibee HQ for today

andyf5
05-12-2015, 10:30 AM
I'm going and happy to buy tickets off those not going now. In Corstorphine

Sent from my P022 using Tapatalk

emerald green
05-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Well they know it will continue to rain and the grounds man sounds like he knows his pitches capability to absorb the rainfall so would think on this occasion the ref should factor the grounds mans judgement into the equation at least in relation to whether the pitch will be playable .

Fair enough, I hope the groundsman's judgement is sound.

My concern, as far as playing football on such a surface is concerned, is that these conditions do not favour Hibs style of play and the game just turns into a farce, particularly if conditions continue to deteriorate.

Yes, the conditions are the same for both teams, but my point is these conditions suit some teams better than others.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-12-2015, 10:33 AM
That will be the James Watt or Hibee HQ for today

Crazy prices, even by 'Spoons levels. eg Strongbow £2.35.

silverhibee
Imagine sitting in that stand with the wind like this.

I take it that is why it has been called off.

grunt
Yes, the conditions are the same for both teams, but my point is these conditions suit some teams better than others.
Perhaps they suit Morton better than us. Good reason then for Morton to try to make sure the game goes ahead.

Jim44
05-12-2015, 10:35 AM
Chatting to my daughter who's driving through Greenock at this minute and can't believe the game's on.

ALF TUPPER
05-12-2015, 10:36 AM
Hibs Official on Twitter saying - ground passed an inspection. Seems game on. ?
I'll double check elsewhere folks 🤓

flash
05-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Must be a high chance of a late call off which would be so unfair on the travelling fans.

Pretty Boy
05-12-2015, 10:38 AM

My concern, as far as playing football on such a surface is concerned, is that these conditions do not favour Hibs style of play and the game just turns into a farce, particularly if conditions continue to deteriorate.

Tbh if we keep the ball on the deck we should be ok.

It will be teams who play the long ball who will really struggle as the ball will either be well overhit or hang in the air. Oxley will need to be on his toes today to make sure he's first to any balls through the middle.

emerald green
05-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Perhaps they suit Morton better than us. Good reason then for Morton to try to make sure the game goes ahead.

That's why I would have preferred the game to be postponed TBH. I think the conditions will definitely suit Morton better than Hibs.

Good luck to all the Hibs fans who have spent time and money travelling through to support the team in this weather. Respect.

ALF TUPPER
05-12-2015, 10:43 AM
Not a day for participating or watching any kind of sport IMO.

Still, ...., I'm goin'. Mon the Hibees

GreenCastle
05-12-2015, 10:44 AM

The surface will be fine - it has good drainage.

It's the crazy wind and lack of protection from either end stands. The stadium is near the water and unlike ER where the stands give protection it will be like playing on a public park.

This will definitely suit Morton more than it will help us - except several high balls into the box - lets hope the back 4 and Ox cope.

Massive 3 points required today - would take a scrappy 1v0.

Safe travels to all the fans and players!

emerald green
Tbh if we keep the ball on the deck we should be ok.

It will be teams who play the long ball who will really struggle as the ball will either be well overhit or hang in the air. Oxley will need to be on his toes today to make sure he's first to any balls through the middle.

I hope so. See also my post #267. :aok:

silverhibee
Celtic game off, Partick game off and the St Mirren game looks like it will get called off. Morton boy must be some groundsman.

He uses a lot of sand. :greengrin

HH81
Wish I was going. Bloody trains!

cabbageandribs1875
05-12-2015, 10:48 AM
every fan going through today should get extra loyalty points :aok: get the morton directors to sit in an open terracing today, let them see what it's like

silverhibee
05-12-2015, 10:48 AM
It's not the 1970s now tho...and 17 quid to stand and get soaked is a disgrace. It's 2015 not 1950

And my point was about the safety of fans travelling to the match. .is that rubbish too??

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

2 seasons ago they were charging £10 entrance for the wooden main stand. :rolleyes:

Super_JMcGinn
05-12-2015, 10:54 AM
The surface will be fine - it has good drainage.

It's the crazy wind and lack of protection from either end stands. The stadium is near the water and unlike ER where the stands give protection it will be like playing on a public park.

This will definitely suit Morton more than it will help us - except several high balls into the box - lets hope the back 4 and Ox cope.

Massive 3 points required today - would take a scrappy 1v0.

Safe travels to all the fans and players!

My worry is the high ball also, please do it today Hibs. PLEASE !!

GreenCastle
05-12-2015, 11:01 AM
every fan going through today should get extra loyalty points :aok: get the morton directors to sit in an open terracing today, let them see what it's like

:agree: The sooner we are out this league the better!

cabbageandribs1875
05-12-2015, 11:01 AM
only 3 games on in the big boys league

Dundee v Aberdeen
Killie pies v Arabs
Ross co v st.johnstone

and

Alloa v Dumbarton
Morton v the cabbage

O'Rourke3
05-12-2015, 11:05 AM
Hope everybody gets there safely and on time. Reminded of the time a Liverpool Game was cancelled due to snow. Pitch was perfect but Luton team stuck in snow. Everybody moaning the pitch was fine. Fine pitch should not be the only factor in postponing games. The fact some people can get there or others take a risk in doing so should not alter the safety concerns.

Lucius Apuleius
05-12-2015, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=Hermit Crab;, nobody,complained 20-30 years ago. What's changed?[/QUOTE]

I'm 20 or 30 years older fir a start!!! Got a ticket but not going. Apart from probably not being able to stand for that length of time, to even attempt it in this weather just dies not in any way appeal. I do have my loyalty points though. 😅

bigwheel
05-12-2015, 11:09 AM
*CLOSED* ⚠ 💧 #A8 Greenock - Now closed in both directions at Cappielow Park due to flooding 😔 #BeAware

latest Transport for Scotland Tweet

kaimendhibs
05-12-2015, 11:10 AM
Road closed in both directions at Cappielow due to flooding.

B.H.F.C
05-12-2015, 11:14 AM
Thought I better leave early with all the horror stories about the roads. Just behind the team bus at Bathgate now.

Pretty Boy
05-12-2015, 11:18 AM
Thought I better leave early with all the horror stories about the roads. Just behind the team bus at Bathgate now.

Just passing through Glasgow.

Roads very clear and moving freely. Bit surface water so most folk being careful but, touch wood, no delays so far.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-12-2015, 11:24 AM
The Old Bank Bar for the lunch time games, very smart/cheap pub.

Pretty Boy
05-12-2015, 11:26 AM
The Old Bank Bar for the lunch time games, very smart/cheap pub.

How's visibilty in Greenock? Just at Glasgow Airport and it's very misty.

bigwheel
05-12-2015, 11:28 AM
another Greenock road warning..

A8 Greenock closed both ways at Pottery Street because of flooding. Major traffic problems.

Don't leave it late to get here guys....

Largshibby
05-12-2015, 11:30 AM

Just been in Greenock and the rain is torrential. If this game goes ahead the conditions will favour just one team and thats Sevco.

Hermit Crab
05-12-2015, 11:35 AM
Games off. Police decision.

bigwheel
Game off - police decision

SteveHFC
Just arrived in Greenock. Could have called it off earlier

Malthibby
05-12-2015, 11:36 AM
It's off, really sorry for eveyone who is on the way or even there.

givescotlandfreedom
05-12-2015, 11:40 AM
Gash. Has it dramatically changed in Greenock or could we have been told ages ago?

frazeHFC
05-12-2015, 11:40 AM
Good that, wait til fans are nearly there before calling it off.

Pretty Boy
05-12-2015, 11:41 AM
What a ****ing farce. Almost in Greenock, this decision should have been made hours ago.

The Police must have had an idea of the conditions and future forecast at the same time as we all did. Worse than useless.

O'Rourke3
According to Radio Scotland now called off!

PiemanP
What an absolute farce. It was clear from the weather forecast that this game should have been called off first thing.

liamh2202
05-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Right decision.... Absolute scandal its taken so long to come

Blaster
05-12-2015, 11:43 AM
What an absolute farce. It was clear from the weather forecast that this game should have been called off first thing.

Exactly mate. Everyone knew it was going to happen. Typical that fans are thought about at the last minute

Danderhall Hibs
05-12-2015, 11:44 AM
What a ****ing farce. Almost in Greenock, this decision should have been made hours ago.

The Police must have had an idea of the conditions and future forecast at the same time as we all did. Worse than useless.

To be fair they've waited to give it a chance and have called it off before you had to leave the house. You just left super early?

Hiber-nation
05-12-2015, 11:44 AM

Yep it's utterly ridiculous. Should have been called off yesterday.

Billy Whizz
05-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Just heard the news as I was passing Livingston fortunately

marinello59
Not even in Glasgow yet as train was delayed due to flooding on the line. A quick bite to eat then train home. At least we stayed dry.:greengrin

Pretty Boy
To be fair they've waited to give it a chance and have called it off before you had to leave the house. You just left super early?

On a bus.

All the supporters buses that are going through will be somewhere on route at the moment. Some of the roads we have passed have clearly been flooded for a while as there is cones out around them etc.

Killiehibbie
05-12-2015, 11:46 AM
The pitch might be in good nick but as I mentioned earlier the main road floods often and causes chaos in the surrounding area.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-12-2015, 11:47 AM
Get yourselves to The old bank bar, cracking boozer.

silverhibee
05-12-2015, 11:48 AM
https://twitter.com/Morton_FC?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7 Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Pretty Boy
05-12-2015, 11:49 AM
Ancient Order of Hibernians social club on Port Glasgow for an hour or so it is.

GreenCastle
05-12-2015, 11:49 AM
That is a total farce!

Another balls up with Scottish Football and a kick in the teeth to fans.

Surely Greenock Morton officials (groundsman) / ref / police consult the morning of a game to make a decision on current and future conditions. We have seen the police call games off before due to conditions around ER but IIRC it was done with plenty of time?!

Poor poor organisation - something I would except in a Sunday league fixture.

silverhibee
05-12-2015, 11:50 AM
SSN still have the game going ahead. :rolleyes:

Golden Bear
05-12-2015, 11:50 AM
Scandalous! You can never predict the weather but for the game to be declared "on" then a short time later "off" ,really is quite staggering even by Scottish football standards.

bigwheel
05-12-2015, 11:51 AM
That is a total farce!

Another balls up with Scottish Football and a kick in the teeth to fans.

Surely Greenock Morton officials (groundsman) / ref / police consult the morning of a game to make a decision on current and future conditions. We have seen the police call games off before due to conditions around ER but IIRC it was done with plenty of time?!

Poor poor organisation - something I would except in a Sunday league fixture.

come on...Game called off 2 1/2 hours before kick off is not a farce....Pitch is playable, roads have caused a problem - good decision making...

lucky
05-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Clearly the police have public safety in mind when making these decisions. The pitch might be playable but the travel and safety of fans must be a priority

Super_JMcGinn
05-12-2015, 11:54 AM
I have never been so happy to hear Hibs are not playing. I feel for the fans who were on route and those who are in Greenock already, but look at the bigger picture guys, in those conditions an adverse result was more than likely and or possible injuries/suspensions. Roll on next week .

Golden Bear
05-12-2015, 11:54 AM
Clearly the police have public safety in mind when making these decisions. The pitch might be playable but the travel and safety of fans must be a priority

Only up to a point, personal decision making has got to come in to it. If some fans want to risk it then so be it.

Pretty Boy
05-12-2015, 11:55 AM
come on...Game called off 2 1/2 hours before kick off is not a farce....Pitch is playable, roads have caused a problem - good decision making...

The conditions have been like this and worsening for 24 hours. To declare the game on then off in the space of an hour and a half is a farce.

HibbyKeith
05-12-2015, 11:56 AM
Can't say I'm overly disappointed with the decision.

They have a great pitch so we are more than capable of playing our style of football but today's weather made it a bit of a lottery.

--------
05-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Gash. Has it dramatically changed in Greenock or could we have been told ages ago?

Short answer - it was obvious to me last night that unless the weather improved dramatically in contradiction to all forecasts the game should be called off.

Our weather has been coming in from the west for the last three/four days and this morning we've had worsening high winds and very heavy rain - the same as Greenock and Glasgow have had.

There are severe weather warnings out for the whole of Central Scotland, and that means police are advising people not to travel unless absolutely necessary. I'm certainly staying snug and warm in the house. I just hope my roof stays on.

Just seen that Calmac have warnings up that the Gourock-Rothesay boat may be cancelled at short notice due to weather, and the Arran boat won't sail again after she reaches Gourock early this afternoon - reason, bad weather.

Last time I looked, Greenock's on the same river as Gourock, Rothesay and Arran. Calmac's warnings were issued before 0900 today. If Calmac knew then that it was too nasty to send ships out, why did the match referee think it would be OK to play the match? Or does he think football's a water sport?

silverhibee
05-12-2015, 11:59 AM
Scottish Police should have made this decision earlier this morning, FFS it was so obvious how the weather conditions would be through in the West.

Morton -v- Hibs [return]
MATCH POSTPONED

Todays match against Hibernian at Cappielow has been called off.

Police made the decision on the grounds of public safety following consultation with both clubs.

Despite the pitch passing an earlier inspection, the weather has caused serious problems on local roads which gave concern for fans being able to reach the stadium safely.

With the heavy rain due to continue throughout the afternoon, and a number of local roads becoming impassable, there was no option but to postpone the match on safety grounds.

Details of the rescheduled fixture will be posted in due course.

Posted on 05 December, 2015

Bronson
05-12-2015, 12:00 PM
Only up to a point, personal decision making has got to come in to it. If some fans want to risk it then so be it.

It's not just the fans they're concerned about it's other people in the area too. We're all disappointed the game is postponed but a bit of perspective is needed.

GreenCastle
05-12-2015, 12:01 PM

Pitch can be playable in the sun.

It's making sure the fixture is safe for fans to travel prior to the game and making sure the surround areas are safe to access.

Anyone with half a brain would have seen the weather forecast last night / this morning and today and called it off this morning like most of the other Scottish games.

Think about the fans who have wasted money travelling for no return.

Correct decision - poor, late and amateur decision making.

Alfred E Newman
05-12-2015, 12:01 PM
It's obviously a travel issue and if conditions have deteriorated to such an extent that the surrounding roads are flooded then the police had no option in my view . It's all right saying that the decision should have been made earlier but long range weather forecasting in this country is not exactly accurate. Down our way last Thursday's forecast was for a mainly dry day and come the day it was changed to heavy rain and sleet with roads impassable with snow. The next morning it was gone and the temperature was in the teens.

Pretty Boy
05-12-2015, 12:03 PM
It's not just the fans they're concerned about it's other people in the area too. We're all disappointed the game is postponed but a bit of perspective is needed.

I doubt many would argue the right decision has been made. Several hours too late though.

Golden Bear
05-12-2015, 12:05 PM
I hope the Police have redirected all the Xmas shoppers home, let's face it, there are more of them than the likely attendance at today's game!

The Harp Awakes
05-12-2015, 12:06 PM
Can't say I'm overly disappointed with the decision.

They have a great pitch so we are more than capable of playing our style of football but today's weather made it a bit of a lottery.

Totally agree. Not good for the fans who have travelled through but a fair chance we'd have dropped points today in those conditions. Relieved.

silverhibee
05-12-2015, 12:08 PM
Ach well, a night game at Morton under the floodlights looks likely now.

:flag:

Pretty Boy
Are tickets valid for a rearranged game?

I see Linlitgow travelled all the way to Wick to see their game postponed.

Borderhibbie76
I have never been so happy to hear Hibs are not playing. I feel for the fans who were on route and those who are in Greenock already, but look at the bigger picture guys, in those conditions an adverse result was more than likely and or possible injuries/suspensions. Roll on next week .
Absolutely spot on mate...a shock result would have been on the cards had this match went ahead...glad it's off but it should have been called off this morning...that's weather was forecast

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

--------
05-12-2015, 12:12 PM
I hope the Police have redirected all the Xmas shoppers home, let's face it, there are more of them than the likely attendance at today's game!

Not a lot of traffic out where I am. I look over a main road and it's very quiet.

This is the right decision but it should have been made first thing this morning.

Jonnyboy
05-12-2015, 12:15 PM
Gutted and angry as only half an hour away. Decision could and should have been made at 9am this morning 😡

HUTCHYHIBBY
Oh well, lunchtime games, a few punts, soccer saturday, train back to the weej, chelsea game, bus hame with numerous beverages in between, could be worse!

silverhibee
https://twitter.com/Morton_FC?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7 Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Pitch in perfect condition.

ALF TUPPER
05-12-2015, 12:16 PM
Disappointing that the game is off and I feel for all the Hibbies who are well on their way. I didn't have far to go - 20 mins by car.
I guess, at the end of the day, our health and safety is paramount and the game will go ahead another time.

There are more important things than fitba today. ( ref- previous sad thread )

Be safe travelling home folks see you next Saturday.

#GGTTH

Golden Bear
05-12-2015, 12:16 PM
Not a lot of traffic out where I am. I look over a main road and it's very quiet.

This is the right decision but it should have been made first thing this morning.

I suspect it may have been, its just the sequence of events which is questionable. We'll find out more very shortly I guess.

Ronniekirk
05-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Scottish Police should have made this decision earlier this morning, FFS it was so obvious how the weather conditions would be through in the West.

Morton -v- Hibs [return]
MATCH POSTPONED

Todays match against Hibernian at Cappielow has been called off.

Police made the decision on the grounds of public safety following consultation with both clubs.

Despite the pitch passing an earlier inspection, the weather has caused serious problems on local roads which gave concern for fans being able to reach the stadium safely.

With the heavy rain due to continue throughout the afternoon, and a number of local roads becoming impassable, there was no option but to postpone the match on safety grounds

Details of the rescheduled fixture will be posted in due course.

Posted on 05 December, 2015

Decided I couldn't wait till X mass went out and spent a fair bit of dosh on new waterproof Just got back in the house just now to hear game off .
Oh well at least I didn't set off from the house and the jacket will come in handy for the rearranged game which is just down the road for me but not for others

But at 9 this morning the flooding in Paisley was really bad and they knew the forecast I think it could of been called off earlier as the pitch was the least of fans worries it was the torrential rain high winds and predictable chaos this would cause hence st mirren took the early decision and Morton could of too
But glad am not having to put new jacket to the test as game would of been a farce in these conditions

lucky
05-12-2015, 12:23 PM
A few wee Rangers causals hanging around Central station. Apparently look for Hibs. Overheard them.The ages of them must 14-25

Carheenlea
05-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Wouldn't like to be the one who breaks this news to blackpoolhibs.

ano hibby
05-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Made it to Junction 3 of M8 & back home now. Quite relieved to be back home as conditions were only going to favour Sevco.

Hibbyradge
05-12-2015, 12:25 PM
Ancient Order of Hibernians social club on Port Glasgow for an hour or so it is.

So it is...by the way, big man! :greengrin

Hermit Crab
05-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Is this fixture likely to be played this coming Tuesday or Wednesday?

Stuarty27
05-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Made it to as far as showcase cinema! Raging is understatement! To say a game is off and then call it off an hour later is a disgrace!

Hibbyradge
05-12-2015, 12:37 PM

What about the local people who have no choice but to use those roads? Or service and emergency vehicles?

Can you imagine the criticism the police would face if they allowed thousands of football fans to travel on roads which were clearly dangerous, and there were injuries or fatalities? Maybe an auld biddy out walking the dog gets hit by a skidding supporters bus. or a woman pushing a pram.

All for the sake of a 90 minute game of football which can easily be rearranged.

--------
05-12-2015, 12:45 PM
I suspect it may have been, its just the sequence of events which is questionable. We'll find out more very shortly I guess.

Absolutely. As long as the game appears to be on, people will make the effort to get there. To be assured that the game's going ahead, and then have it cancelled at such short notice not because the pitch is unplayable (apparently it's OK) but because of potential problems with the road conditions in the surrounding area is nonsense. The police should have informed Morton FC of their concerns so that travelling conditions could be taken into consideration. Maybe they did, and Morton ignored them.

I suspect that it's not just today's rain but the accumulation of water in the ground over the past week or so that's causing concern. But THAT could and should have been foreseen when the forecast for today came out.

silverhibee
05-12-2015, 12:50 PM

:hilarious

Baldy Foghorn
05-12-2015, 12:53 PM
Gutted and angry as only half an hour away. Decision could and should have been made at 9am this morning 

Exactly, great planning as per usual from Police Scotland.

Thecat23
05-12-2015, 12:54 PM
100% correct decision. Safety of the fans must come first and with all the road closures just now and major flooding having thousands of fans attending would make it a shambles.

Only bad thing was the call was made far too late and should have been called off either late last night or first thing this morning. It's the Morton Groundsman who I feel for the boy worked wonders keeping the water off the park only for it to be off from conditions outside the ground.

lucky
05-12-2015, 12:54 PM
I think it was the correct decision, I only made it as far as Glasgow Central but it's being pissing down all night. I do agree it should have been called of sooner. I don't think conditions would have suited us and it was hard game made harder by the weather

Golden Bear
05-12-2015, 12:55 PM
What about the local people who have no choice but to use those roads? Or service and emergency vehicles?

Can you imagine the criticism the police would face if they allowed thousands of football fans to travel on roads which were clearly dangerous, and there were injuries or fatalities? Maybe an auld biddy out walking the dog gets hit by a skidding supporters bus. or a woman pushing a pram.

All for the sake of a 90 minute game of football which can easily be rearranged.

Fair comment, but where do you start and where do you stop? Say for instance the road conditions are poor in Edinburgh and the Lothians but are absolutely fine in say for instance Greenock then would that be fair game to place the match in danger?

emerald green

:agree:

Short answer - it was obvious to me last night that unless the weather improved dramatically in contradiction to all forecasts the game should be called off.

Our weather has been coming in from the west for the last three/four days and this morning we've had worsening high winds and very heavy rain - the same as Greenock and Glasgow have had.

There are severe weather warnings out for the whole of Central Scotland, and that means police are advising people not to travel unless absolutely necessary.

Those running the game will never learn it seems. Same farce season after season. It's not rocket science to look at whether football matches should go ahead at least 24 hours in advance when the country is experiencing severe weather conditions, and all the forecasts are/were for more of the same, if not worse.

I was very surprised when I heard earlier today that this match was to go ahead when most other matches had been postponed.

I doubt many would argue the right decision has been made. Several hours too late though.

See my post above. At least 24 hours too late IMO.

Lago
Feel sorry for those that have travelled, but would have put money on a cancellation. Also had the game gone ahead under these conditions it would have been the proverbial lottery, can just imagine the reaction if Hibs had lost under those circumstances.

silverhibee
05-12-2015, 12:57 PM

Have they cancelled public transport in Greenock, ie buses, sure the same thing applies for them.

Police should have made this decision early this morning.

Thecat23
05-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Have they cancelled public transport in Greenock, ie buses, sure the same thing applies for them.

Think it's different if the volume of traffic is about 20 times heavier than normal.

Onceinawhile
05-12-2015, 01:01 PM
Are tickets valid for a rearranged game?

I see Linlitgow travelled all the way to Wick to see their game postponed.

Again.

Baldy Foghorn
05-12-2015, 01:01 PM

In a nutshell.....

Morton selling tickets for next week's game, between 1.30 and 3 Today, however will these fans get to Cappielow with all roads being closed?:cb

Pretty Boy
05-12-2015, 01:03 PM
Think it's different if the volume of traffic is about 20 times heavier than normal.

Which, along with the short term forecast, conistent weather for at least 12 hours, various cancellations and warnings from other services and existing road conditions should have seen the Police get their finger out their erses and make a decision early.

As it was we had advice to 'leave early' and that it was 'game on' so people left early assuming there was a game on and 90 minutes later the decision was changed.

silverhibee
05-12-2015, 01:04 PM
Annan game just been postponed, now that is right kick in the teeth.

Thecat23
05-12-2015, 01:05 PM
Which, along with the short term forecast, conistent weather for at least 12 hours, various cancellations and warnings from other services and existing road conditions should have seen the Police get their finger out their erses and make a decision early.

As it was we had advice to 'leave early' and that it was 'game on' so people left early assuming there was a game on and 90 minutes later the decision was changed.

Yeah totally, that's what I'm saying. It's the correct decision but very bad call to leave it so late.

Radium
05-12-2015, 01:08 PM
The club (Morton) safety officer was probably on-site from silly o'clock and this assessment should have been made at the same time as the inspection.

Golden Bear
05-12-2015, 01:12 PM
The club (Morton) safety officer was probably on-site from silly o'clock and this assessment should have been made at the same time as the inspection.

I agree. It looks like there's been a lack of communiation between the Club(s) and the Police and it's the supporters that suffered.

bigwheel
05-12-2015, 01:13 PM
you boys are a bunch of moaners....game was called off over 2 hrs before kick off...if you were near the ground, you were only there early for the beer - shame on you!

Secondly, if you were just on your way - you've probably got out of doing a big chunk of xmas shopping - you should be thanking the football authorities...

theonlywayisup
05-12-2015, 01:13 PM
IF this game gets called off at 14:00, it will be further evidence if it is needed that the football authorities couldn't give a dam about football fans. On a day such as today, when there are plenty other reasons to stop watching football, to expect 1000 +/- football fans to travel from the east in miserable weather conditions, whilst public transport is creaking at the seams to then have the match called off within a hour off kick off would be a real switch off for some.

I hope this doesn't happen, but I'm fully expecting arriving at the ground to be told the game is off. Fingers crossed it doesn't, but.........

:cbat least I didn't get all the way to the ground :grr:

I know it wasn't the football authorities that called it off, but still it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to know this game was at risk. We got to the west side of Glasgow and conditions on the road were pretty dire most of the way through. The football authorities could easily say "today's not the day for people to travel in such dire conditions, all games are cancelled". Or is that a step too far?

225-EasterRd
05-12-2015, 01:17 PM
Anyone know hibs refund policy? Just returned tickets to shop to be told they dont usualy do refunds???? as I paid cash I will have to wait until Monday or Tuesday to find out?

oneone73
05-12-2015, 01:22 PM
Anyone know hibs refund policy? Just returned tickets to shop to be told they dont usualy do refunds???? as I paid cash I will have to wait until Monday or Tuesday to find out?

That's an issue for Morton, isn't it?

Hibbyradge
05-12-2015, 01:25 PM
I was surprised the game was still on when I saw that the games at Partick, Celtic and St Mirren had all been called off.

Then, when I saw the game had finally been postponed, I knew there would be a thread like this. There always is, whatever the circumstances. :hilarious

Had the police called the game off this morning, there would have been posters complaining that the pitch was playable and the police/referee should have waited until later to see if the weather cleared up.

For the vast majority of people, it's a minor inconvenience, that's all. Preventable and predictable, maybe.

But no one died. Which is kind of the point.

marinello59
05-12-2015, 01:44 PM
I was surprised the game was still on when I saw that the games at Partick, Celtic and St Mirren had all been called off.

Then, when I saw the game had finally been postponed, I knew there would be a thread like this. There always is, whatever the circumstances. :hilarious

Had the police called the game off this morning, there would have been posters complaining that the pitch was playable and the police/referee should have waited until later to see if the weather cleared up.

For the vast majority of people, it's a minor inconvenience, that's all. Preventable and predictable, maybe.

Aye, not the worst thing that happens. When you follow a sport played during a Scottish winter it's inevitable that there will be wasted journeys occasionally.

Carheenlea
05-12-2015, 01:54 PM
There will always be great debate about when to call off games and about the reasons for calling off games. Sometimes it just seems the logical thing to do, and to do so early and without complaint from spectators. Today looks like it was one of those occasions.

itslegaltender
05-12-2015, 02:03 PM
had just got past Glasgow when heard it on Off the Ball. roads were looking dodgy an hour before hand as per the p&b posting. Poor.

Baldy Foghorn
05-12-2015, 02:14 PM

Its usually the guys who weren't going anyway who think it's a minor inconvenience? For those who travel, spend money on petrol, trains, buses etc to then find out it's off, then have to go there midweek, I would say that is more than a minor inconvenience.....All could see the weather forecasts, so a decision by whoever (Police in the end) could have been made much earlier.....Supporter's always get the raw deal.......

Pretty Boy
05-12-2015, 02:18 PM
Its usually the guys who weren't going anyway who think it's a minor inconvenience? For those who travel, spend money on petrol, trains, buses etc to then find out it's off, then have to go there midweek, I would say that is more than a minor inconvenience.....All could see the weather forecasts, so a decision by whoever (Police in the end) could have been made much earlier.....Supporter's always get the raw deal.......

Yep. £30+ out of pocket today plus whatever it costs to get to the replayed game, work permitting.

May well be a minor inconvenience but at this time of year a needlessly expensive one.

marinello59
05-12-2015, 02:21 PM

I knew when I left home this morning there was a high chance of the game being called off so I'm not as hacked off as I should maybe be. It's a risk I took. At least I'm not making this train journey home after a defeat, that always feels much worse than this. :greengrin

Lago
05-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Cant believe that anyone really enjoys watching football in this kind of weather. Cant believe any professional footballer enjoys playing football in this weather, but agree should have been called off 24hrs ago.

greenlex
05-12-2015, 02:45 PM
Surely Morton should be liasing with the match commander? The roads were horriffic this morning at 5 oclock without traffic. I was working this morning in the weege and knew travelling fans would be ****ed around at the last minute. I know the groundstaff were confident but surely the match commander would have the last say and they should have been talking. Its madness to allow fans to travel in those conitions with motorways closed etc, travel advised only if neccessary etc. and the surrounding area chaotic at best. Im glad its off for footballing reasons mainly but its a real pisser to be done less than an hour avter being confirmed its on. Hate to say it but Hearts got it spot on. Called off at 07.30 so Inverness fans know before they start their journey down.

Baldy Foghorn
05-12-2015, 02:46 PM
I knew when I left home this morning there was a high chance of the game being called off so I'm not as hacked off as I should maybe be. It's a risk I took. At least I'm not making this train journey home after a defeat, that always feels much worse than this. :greengrin

What's that:confused::greengrin

Squealing pig
05-12-2015, 02:53 PM
Shame on the rose supporters at wick lol

marinello59
05-12-2015, 02:53 PM
What's that:confused::greengrin

:greengrin

marinello59
05-12-2015, 02:54 PM

That's a real sickener. Ouch.

silverhibee
05-12-2015, 02:54 PM
How does the Alloa game go ahead yet the Falkirk game is cancelled, both play on astro's and only a few miles apart. :confused:

My_Wife_Camille
05-12-2015, 03:00 PM
How does the Alloa game go ahead yet the Falkirk game is cancelled, both play on astro's and only a few miles apart. :confused:

Falkirk had damage to the stadium mate

Hibbyradge
05-12-2015, 03:18 PM

People are going to be frustrated. I understand that. I was just trying to help folk put things in perspective. I can't remember why! :greengrin

On an inconvenience scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being someone's death, I don't think a postponed football match would rate at all highly.

It would have been a lot more inconvenient if someone had been hurt. I was considering backing the draw had the game gone ahead, because that weather would have been a real leveller. Dropped points would have been considerably more inconvenient too. :wink:

Over the years, I've been to loads of games which have been called off or abandoned, a notable one being AEK Athens (remember the moaning and complaints on here about that? :rolleyes: ). Of course it's frustrating, but it really isn't the end of the world. For me, it's the games that go ahead when they really should have been postponed that anger me.

Yes, when people have commenced their journey and the game gets called off, it's waste of time and money, but it was going to be spent anyway and no-one "has" to go to the replay if they don't have the cash.

Maybe today's game could have been called off earlier, but I'm not party to the reasons for the timing of the decision. Has anyone contacted Police Scotland to find out?

From what I read, the A8 near the ground flooded in both directions and became impassable around midday. The game was called off as soon as that happened. 12.30 doesn't strike me as too late to call off a match which is taking place at 3.00pm.

I would very much doubt that weather forecasts are used to inform decisions about postponing football matches. If they were, I doubt the 6 games currently being played in Scotland which have gone ahead. In any case, who could forecast that a road on which traffic was flowing freely at 11.00am, would be flooded at midday?

Greenock Morton FC also got a raw deal, by the way. Their income from the rescheduled fixture will be significantly reduced because of the postponement and they can't save money by not going to the replay!

I'll finish on a happier note. If the game is replayed during the week, I'll be able to go as I'm working in Glasgow. Now that's what I call convenient! :thumbsup:

scoopyboy
05-12-2015, 04:32 PM

Their game was postponed yesterday so none of their fans should have wasted their time.

franks
05-12-2015, 04:35 PM

Spot on, in the whole scheme of things it maybe a minor inconvenience but it was an inconvenience which was entirely predictable, it was no freak weather event it had been predicted, wherever a match is in serious doubt and weather predictions are as today then just call off rather than having hundreds of fans traveling in horrendous conditions just to be told the game has been called off at short notice for your own safety.

scoopyboy
05-12-2015, 04:39 PM
People are going to be frustrated. I understand that. I was just trying to help folk put things in perspective. I can't remember why! :greengrin

On an inconvenience scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being someone's death, I don't think a postponed football match would rate at all highly.

It would have been a lot more inconvenient if someone had been hurt. I was considering backing the draw had the game gone ahead, because that weather would have been a real leveller. Dropped points would have been considerably more inconvenient too. :wink:

Over the years, I've been to loads of games which have been called off or abandoned, a notable one being AEK Athens (remember the moaning and complaints on here about that? :rolleyes: ). Of course it's frustrating, but it really isn't the end of the world. For me, it's the games that go ahead when they really should have been postponed that anger me.

Yes, when people have commenced their journey and the game gets called off, it's waste of time and money, but it was going to be spent anyway and no-one "has" to go to the replay if they don't have the cash.

Maybe today's game could have been called off earlier, but I'm not party to the reasons for the timing of the decision. Has anyone contacted Police Scotland to find out?

From what I read, the A8 near the ground flooded in both directions and became impassable around midday. The game was called off as soon as that happened. 12.30 doesn't strike me as too late to call off a match which is taking place at 3.00pm.

I would very much doubt that weather forecasts are used to inform decisions about postponing football matches. If they were, I doubt the 6 games currently being played in Scotland which have gone ahead. In any case, who could forecast that a road on which traffic was flowing freely at 11.00am, would be flooded at midday?

Greenock Morton FC also got a raw deal, by the way. Their income from the rescheduled fixture will be significantly reduced because of the postponement and they can't save money by not going to the replay!

I'll finish on a happier note. If the game is replayed during the week, I'll be able to go as I'm working in Glasgow. Now that's what I call convenient! :thumbsup:

I agree with a lot of what you say radge but not all.

Our bus left Tranent at noon, one hour after Greenock Morton declared game on (on their official web site).

Half an hour into our journey we find out its game off.

The police wait until fans have set out before cancelling, ***** patter. They could have issued a warning earlier to say the game was in doubt.

I knew the game wasn't going to happen and I posted earlier in the day to this effect but as a bus convenor we had no option but to depart for the game.

Don't suppose Police Scotland or Greenock Morton will give us our £360 back though eh.

scoopyboy
05-12-2015, 04:43 PM

Don't see how, they already have our money.

franks
05-12-2015, 04:43 PM
Cost us £440 where do you get your busses from. (serious question)

matty_f
05-12-2015, 04:50 PM
I agree with a lot of what you say radge but not all.

Our bus left Tranent at noon, one hour after Greenock Morton declared game on (on their official web site).

Half an hour into our journey we find out its game off.

The police wait until fans have set out before cancelling, ***** patter. They could have issued a warning earlier to say the game was in doubt.

I knew the game wasn't going to happen and I posted earlier in the day to this effect but as a bus convenor we had no option but to depart for the game.

Don't suppose Police Scotland or Greenock Morton will give us our £360 back though eh.

It's a tough one, I have a lot of sympathy for everyone that headed to the game only to have to turn back - it's a massive pain in the hoop, a costly one at that.

At the same time, there has been loads of police and travel advice over the last few days in particular that you should only really travel if it's essential. There is (as someone pointed out early) an element of individual responsibility here - nobody wants to miss the game if it's on, but at the same time who couldn't see that there were going to be major issues today.

I don't think, under the circumstances, that Police Scotland or Morton have any liability for refunding travel costs. The advice was out there not to travel.

Pretty Boy
05-12-2015, 04:53 PM
It's a tough one, I have a lot of sympathy for everyone that headed to the game only to have to turn back - it's a massive pain in the hoop, a costly one at that.

At the same time, there has been loads of police and travel advice over the last few days in particular that you should only really travel if it's essential. There is (as someone pointed out early) an element of individual responsibility here - nobody wants to miss the game if it's on, but at the same time who couldn't see that there were going to be major issues today.

I don't think, under the circumstances, that Police Scotland or Morton have any liability for refunding travel costs. The advice was out there not to travel.

By that token was allowing the Hibs team bus to begin it's journey not encouraging unneccessary travel on the part of the Police?

matty_f
05-12-2015, 04:56 PM
By that token was allowing the Hibs team bus to begin it's journey not encouraging unneccessary travel on the part of the Police?

I don't think Hibs' travel arrangements fall under the police's remit, to be honest. The wider public safety, absolutely, but I think it's pretty tenous to stretch that to whether or not the Hibs team bus leaves Easter Road or not.

Pretty Boy
05-12-2015, 05:02 PM
I don't think Hibs' travel arrangements fall under the police's remit, to be honest. The wider public safety, absolutely, but I think it's pretty tenous to stretch that to whether or not the Hibs team bus leaves Easter Road or not.

I agree.

The problem is that the guys who run buses have a liability of circa £400, that has to be paid. Personal responsibility is one thing, £400 in December another.

When both clubs say 'game on' and various fans etc see the Hibs team on route to the game it's fair to assume the Police are satisfied that the tracel route is safe. I understand the main road into Cappielow only flooded aroud 12 but it's by all accounts hardly a rare occurence and can't really be called 'unforseen circumstances'. The game being off isn't the issue, decalring it on then changing the script so suddenly is. The match commander had a duty to make the right call far earlier than he did, in line with his own forces advice the game shiuld have been called off on public safety grounds early doors.

Baldy Foghorn
05-12-2015, 05:13 PM
I agree.

The problem is that the guys who run buses have a liability of circa £400, that has to be paid. Personal responsibility is one thing, £400 in December another.

When both clubs say 'game on' and various fans etc see the Hibs team on route to the game it's fair to assume the Police are satisfied that the tracel route is safe. I understand the main road into Cappielow only flooded aroud 12 but it's by all accounts hardly a rare occurence and can't really be called 'unforseen circumstances'. The game being off isn't the issue, decalring it on then changing the script so suddenly is. The match commander had a duty to make the right call far earlier than he did, in line with his own forces advice the game shiuld have been called off on public safety grounds early doors.

Totally agree.......

Kojock
05-12-2015, 05:14 PM

Never saw any warning not to travel but took the advice to give extra time for the journey. Morton fans were posting at 10.30 this morning saying there was serious flooding on the A8 at Cappielow. The forecast was for continual heavy rain so there was no way the conditions were going to improve. Why the Police had to wait for another 2 hours to decide that in the interest of spectator safety to call the game off. Total joke.

scoopyboy
05-12-2015, 05:14 PM

Matty, how do you think I would have been received on our bus if I had stood up at noon and said I don't think we should leave cos the Police have advised against people travelling?

It's a football supporters bus ffs.

iwasthere1972
05-12-2015, 05:20 PM

Most supporters buses would have been well on the way to Greenock before it was called off. It's been on the cards for the past day to be postponed and I can't imagine for one minute that the weather conditions at 11am when it was all fine and dandy and 12.45 pm when we got the call off news was that different. Even Hearts gave consideration to the ICT support by calling the game off in plenty time and avoiding folk travelling for nothing.

Anyway had a few beers in the Hibernians Club in Port Glasgow so not a total waste of a day.

Kojock
05-12-2015, 05:21 PM
I understand the main road into Cappielow only flooded aroud 12 .

Posted at 10.30 this morning.
Not according to the Morton fans. Morton fan just posted this on P&B

Good luck getting here Hibees, the M8 is fine between Glasgow and Greenock but as Schosha says the main road at Cappielow is flooded, it's currently still open but you might need to park a fair walk from the ground if that gets any worse and the road closes. The rain's off for now so you might be alright. Trains are still running but some are terminating at Port Glasgow, if they're not going to Cartsdyke at the time of the game you've got a bit of a walk.

Pretty Boy
05-12-2015, 05:24 PM
Posted at 10.30 this morning.
Not according to the Morton fans. Morton fan just posted this on P&B

Good luck getting here Hibees, the M8 is fine between Glasgow and Greenock but as Schosha says the main road at Cappielow is flooded, it's currently still open but you might need to park a fair walk from the ground if that gets any worse and the road closes. The rain's off for now so you might be alright. Trains are still running but some are terminating at Port Glasgow, if they're not going to Cartsdyke at the time of the game you've got a bit of a walk.

That makes the original decision all the more inexplicable then.

Kojock
05-12-2015, 05:25 PM
Matty, how do you think I would have been received on our bus if I had stood up at noon and said I don't think we should leave cos the Police have advised against people travelling?

Knowing the people on the bus they would have said, "No problem Jock just take us to the Gyle instead so I can do my Christmas shopping," then again maybe not......

Kojock
05-12-2015, 05:32 PM
That makes the original decision all the more inexplicable then.

Exactly I don't have any problems with the game being called off but there were problems with flooding early morning and it was obvious that conditions would only deteriorate.

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2015, 06:14 PM

Absolutely gutted, got the news 15 minutes after the Edinburgh turn off. Never mind, I can post all the sheite I like now apparently lol. Got to Edinburgh around 2 ish. Had about 6 pints and a couple of shorts, with a couple of good friends, showered changed and just about to get a cab to the playhouse. There's always another game of football.

scoopyboy
05-12-2015, 06:16 PM
Knowing the people on the bus they would have said, "No problem Jock just take us to the Gyle instead so I can do my Christmas shopping," then again maybe not......

I took them to Deer Park at Livingston for a couple of pints instead, it helped.

To be honest the folk on the bus were great about things but in our hearts we knew the match wasn't happening, it wasn't the fact that the game was off it was the timing.

SausageSurprise
05-12-2015, 06:31 PM
When did der hun game get the heev-ho? Hopefully they had a hoor of a day spent in traffic

Sir David Gray
05-12-2015, 06:48 PM
When did der hun game get the heev-ho? Hopefully they had a hoor of a day spent in traffic

It was called off before 12pm.

Kojock
05-12-2015, 07:05 PM
I took them to Deer Park at Livingston for a couple of pints instead, it helped.

To be honest the folk on the bus were great about things but in our hearts we knew the match wasn't happening, it wasn't the fact that the game was off it was the timing.

Exactly, everybody had a feeling that the game wouldn't go ahead and to get within half a mile to the ground was frustrating to say the least.

Sir David Gray
05-12-2015, 07:10 PM
I had decided not to go about 12:30pm today, which was about 10 minutes before the game was officially called off.

I saw loads of people tweeting that the roads around Cappielow were closed due to flooding and that other main roads into Greenock were also badly affected and just thought that it would be a nightmare.

I am glad that the game was called off as I would have been gutted if the game had gone ahead and I hadn't been there, even if I did know that it really wasn't worth it.

SteveHFC
05-12-2015, 07:13 PM
I had decided not to go about 12:30pm today, which was about 10 minutes before the game was officially called off.

I saw loads of people tweeting that the roads around Cappielow were closed due to flooding and that other main roads into Greenock were also badly affected and just thought that it would be a nightmare.

I am glad that the game was called off as I would have been gutted if the game had gone ahead and I hadn't been there, even if I did know that it really wasn't worth it.

We were just arriving in Greenock when the game was called off. We stayed in Greenock for a while and got the train home about 3.

Pretty Boy
05-12-2015, 07:22 PM
We were just arriving in Greenock when the game was called off. We stayed in Greenock for a while and got the train home about 3.

Truth is, for all my moaning, I didn't have a bad day. Few drinks in the Hibernians Club in Port Glasgow and then a night at the boxing. There's worse ways to spend a Saturday.

A Hibs win would have been nice though.

Carheenlea
05-12-2015, 07:23 PM
Absolutely gutted, got the news 15 minutes after the Edinburgh turn off. Never mind, I can post all the sheite I like now apparently lol. Got to Edinburgh around 2 ish. Had about 6 pints and a couple of shorts, with a couple of good friends, showered changed and just about to get a cab to the playhouse. There's always another game of football.

It doesn't sound the worst of days despite the disappointment :cheers:

matty_f
05-12-2015, 07:54 PM

I know, but that's not the police's fault. They can give the advice, if folk want to ignore it...

Golden Bear
05-12-2015, 08:05 PM
That's the trouble when authorities other than the Clubs are enpowered to make decisions on whether a game should be postponed or not. It smacks of nannyism regardless of whether or not the decision is made in the supposed best interests of the fans.

lord bunberry
05-12-2015, 08:09 PM
Some folk would actually like to see the game go ahead myself included, I'll no be hoping for any postponement.

I know, but that's not the police's fault. They can give the advice, if folk want to ignore it...
They could also stop any of this debate happening by taking the decision that was inevitable and call the game off before anyone had left. I realise the police are in a catch 22 position here, but I never thought today's game was going to go ahead.

Hibbyradge
05-12-2015, 08:14 PM
That's the trouble when authorities other than the Clubs are enpowered to make decisions on whether a game should be postponed or not. It smacks of nannyism regardless of whether or not the decision is made in the supposed best interests of the fans.

1. The road became impassable.

2. There were more people to consider than just daytripping Hibs fans.

3. Most games in Scotland were called off because of a storm which has caused widespread disruption across the UK.

4. The police only have so many resources and they certainly have more important things to do that clean up the mess of thousands of football fans caught in floods and jams.

5. The decision to POSTPONE the game was made in consultation with both clubs.

If that's nannyism, I'm all for it.

Golden Bear
05-12-2015, 08:39 PM

3. Most games in Scotland were called off because of a storm which has caused widespread disruption across the UK.

4. The police only have so many resources and they certainly have more important things to do that clean up the mess of thousands of football fans caught in floods and jams.
I

If that's nannyism, I'm all for it.

Hyperbole or what!! Morton say the game is on then the Police say the game is off a short time later. That's just not acceptable in my book.

monktonharp
05-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Disappointing that the game is off and I feel for all the Hibbies who are well on their way. I didn't have far to go - 20 mins by car.
I guess, at the end of the day, our health and safety is paramount and the game will go ahead another time.

There are more important things than fitba today. ( ref- previous sad thread )

Be safe travelling home folks see you next Saturday.

#GGTTHMr Tupper, I appreciate your heartfelt remarks for the safety of the fans, and yes the game will go on some other day. But, do consider this side of things: the game will need to be played, but, the people who organised travel, which included supporters' buses etc with families and groups of young laddies/lassies, who could just about afford the price of the match along with a bus fare, and were all looking forward to a day at the match were suddenly told at 12:35pm that the game was not going to happen, despite the fact that they had ALL paid the bus convenor their money, who, inturn had paid the cash over to the bus driver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Disappointing, aye disappointing is the word your looking for.:fuming:

monktonharp
05-12-2015, 09:02 PM

But no one died. Which is kind of the point.you are correct, no one died ,on our bus as far as I know. but your flippant remark, really makes my blood boil. I tried phoning Morton, before we set off, and all the way through we kept getting info from both Hibernian fc and from Greenock Morton fc that the game was on! don't tell us that it was some sort of god send, for safety issues or whatever. you sir,are talking on this issue .nae one died,right

Hibbyradge
05-12-2015, 09:11 PM
Hyperbole or what!! Morton say the game is on then the Police say the game is off a short time later. That's just not acceptable in my book.

The game was called off at 12.30 because the road became impassable. Nothing hyperbolic about it.

I could stay in bed till 12.30pm, get up, shower, have a leisurely breakfast and still have time for a pint in the Lighthouse before going to a 3.00pm game at Cappielow.

Have you complained to the Police or Morton or Hibs?

Or even enquired as to why they made the decision when they did? :dunno:

Sir David Gray
05-12-2015, 09:13 PM
The game was called off at 12.30 because the road became impassable. Nothing hyperbolic about it.

I could stay in bed till 12.30pm, get up, shower, have a leisurely breakfast and still have time for a pint in the Lighthouse before going to a 3.00pm game at Cappielow.

Do you travel by Concorde? :greengrin

Hibbyradge
05-12-2015, 09:16 PM
you are correct, no one died ,on our bus as far as I know. but your flippant remark, really makes my blood boil. I tried phoning Morton, before we set off, and all the way through we kept getting info from both Hibernian fc and from Greenock Morton fc that the game was on! don't tell us that it was some sort of god send, for safety issues or whatever. you sir,are talking on this issue .nae one died,right

The police canceled the game when the road became totally impassable at midday.

I don't think that's the fault of Hibs, Morton or the Police.

It's the fault of a ferocious storm.

Hibbyradge
05-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Do you travel by Concorde? :greengrin

Nah, I drink fast. :wink:

Golden Bear
05-12-2015, 09:20 PM

I could stay in bed till 12.30pm, get up, shower, have a leisurely breakfast and still have time for a pint in the Lighthouse before going to a 3.00pm game at Cappielow.i

The road was supposedly near impassable at 10.30 this morning but what the definition of impassable is will be open to interpretation! The salient point is that the actual pitch was playable and regardless of the fitba life in the Greenock area did not grind to a halt - football or otherwise.

anon1875
05-12-2015, 09:21 PM
Who was in Donnachies bar in Port Glasgow after the game? I went home after the game was off but mates were sending me voice notes of hibs fans signing in the pub.

Jonnyboy
05-12-2015, 09:22 PM
The police canceled the game when the road became totally impassable at midday.

I don't think that's the fault of Hibs, Morton or the Police.

It's the fault of a ferocious storm.

D, nobody can dispute the timing of the road closure. Like many who travelled, I'm annoyed that they couldn't anticipate these problems, given the lengthy weather problems up until that time, the forecast that it was only going to get worse and the fact that Morton fans had flagged up flooding problems as early as 10.30am.

Reading through this thread it seems the ones most keenly backing the decision are the ones who were never going to the game in the first place!

monktonharp
05-12-2015, 09:23 PM
I know, but that's not the police's fault. They can give the advice, if folk want to ignore it...At what point, did the Polis advise against travelling? given the fact that a half brained groundsman, and 2 football clubs had said that the game was a go-er at 9am, 11;20am and then at 12:25pm that the game was in danger and in 5 minutes, it's no happening. whorra f/kin shambles. don't try to shift the blame onto fans that went there in good faith, to see their team. stand up, look around you and admit that the Clubs involved, the Polis, and the Scottish football authorities have a lot to answer for, for this debacle. the warnings were there 2 days ago and they chose to wait to the last minute, before telling fans that this game in particular was not going ahead

monktonharp
05-12-2015, 09:25 PM

If that's nannyism, I'm all for it.baws

Billy Whizz
05-12-2015, 09:27 PM
D, nobody can dispute the timing of the road closure. Like many who travelled, I'm annoyed that they couldn't anticipate these problems, given the lengthy weather problems up until that time, the forecast that it was only going to get worse and the fact that Morton fans had flagged up flooding problems as early as 10.30am.

Reading through this thread it seems the ones most keenly backing the decision are the ones who were never going to the game in the first place!

Seems to be the norm on here

Hibbyradge
05-12-2015, 09:30 PM
The road was supposedly near impassable at 10.30 this morning but what the definition of impassable is will be open to interpretation! The salient point is that the actual pitch was playable and regardless of the fitba life in the Greenock area did not grind to a halt - football or otherwise.

Maybe Inverclyde Police had some other things to do apart from standing watching a big puddle all morning, but here's what was said by Morton at the time:

Today's match against Hibernian at Cappielow has been called off.

With the heavy rain due to continue throughout the afternoon, and a number of local roads becoming impassable, there was no option but to postpone the match on safety grounds.

One man's reasonable explanation is another's unacceptable excuse. I think we'll have to leave it at that.

monktonharp
05-12-2015, 09:31 PM

Reading through this thread it seems the ones most keenly backing the decision are the ones who were never going to the game in the first place!:agree:some smart assed comments onhere,are hardly worth noting

lord bunberry
05-12-2015, 09:32 PM

There was a post on here at 10:30 saying the road was closed. Why did it take another 2 hours and a message from both clubs saying "game on" before the inevitable decision was taken. I realise you're trying to trivialise the situation, but there was a bit of a cock up today.

Ronniekirk
05-12-2015, 09:34 PM
So when is the rearranged game.As I never left the house my wife was delighted and I spent all afternoon putting up the Chrismass tree and decorations .
At least most of those that travelled managed a few beers .
Although I do understand why bus convenes are well pissed off .
That part of Greenock has form for flooding and when I was out and about early doors in Paisley it was clear flooding on roads was an issue even at 9 am The rain was incessant and heavy and the forecast was known .
Having said that I still went out and bought a new waterproof jacket on basis of 11 o'clock decision game was on and I won't be getting reimbursed for that

monktonharp
05-12-2015, 09:34 PM
Maybe Inverclyde Police had some other things to do apart from standing watching a big puddle all morning, but here's what was said by Morton at the time:

One man's reasonable explanation is another's unacceptable excuse. I think we'll have to leave it at that.you being the other man, can leave it at that if you want buddy. but I certainly wont. It was a disgrace, to let us think the gamer was a go-er, and you know that.

monktonharp
05-12-2015, 09:37 PM
There was a post on here at 10:30 saying the road was closed. Why did it take another 2 hours and a message from both clubs saying "game on" before the inevitable decision was taken. I realise you're trying to trivialise the situation, but there was a bit of a cock up today.much mair than a cock up,m'lord:wink:

Golden Bear
05-12-2015, 09:39 PM

With the heavy rain due to continue throughout the afternoon, and a number of local road
s becoming impassable, there was no option but to postpone the match on safety grounds.

One man's reasonable explanation is another's unacceptable excuse. I think we'll have to leave it at that.

Ok we'll leave it at that but we're entering a contraversial area when a match is postponed on a subject which is outwith the state of the actual playing surface.

monktonharp
05-12-2015, 09:41 PM
So when is the rearranged game.As I never left the house my wife was delighted and I spent all afternoon putting up the Chrismass tree and decorations .
At least most of those that travelled managed a few beers .
Although I do understand why bus convenes are well pissed off .
That part of Greenock has form for flooding and when I was out and about early doors in Paisley it was clear flooding on roads was an issue even at 9 am The rain was incessant and heavy and the forecast was known .
Having said that I still went out and bought a new waterproof jacket on basis of 11 o'clock decision game was on and I won't be getting reimbursed for thatyou are not entirely innocent, in this whole episode aul' Ronnie boy. the weather in your back green was braw last night, and your grass was ever so green:wink:

Ronniekirk
05-12-2015, 09:52 PM
you are not entirely innocent, in this whole episode aul' Ronnie boy. the weather in your back green was braw last night, and your grass was ever so green:wink:

It Defo was not to bad on the Friday night ,but in one of my many posts I did suggest make an early decision to Play it on the Sunday when the forecast was to be sunny .:wink:
And when I did get up at back of seven it wasn't that bad either ,But it all went downhill rapidly from 8 30 am onwards ,and as I sit here sipping a glass of wine after my days exertions ,admiring the lights on the tree , it's chucking it doon even heavier outside .
Yep the grass often seems greener on the other side,:rolleyes:

weather permitting we should now get a bigger than average crowd next week as we will all be desparate to see the Hibees play a game

Hibbyradge
05-12-2015, 09:53 PM

That's disappointing coming from you, John.

You're suggesting that the opinions of people who weren't inconvenienced today are not valid.

I disagree, but I'll withdraw from the discussion now.

lord bunberry
05-12-2015, 09:56 PM

You're suggesting that the opinions of people who weren't inconvenienced today are not valid.

Good

Hibbyradge
05-12-2015, 10:00 PM
Good

I'd hate to interfere with your self pitying, victim complex. :greengrin

Ronniekirk
05-12-2015, 10:03 PM

I thought you were bowing out:confused:

Pretty Boy
05-12-2015, 10:07 PM

It's not an entirely unreasonable argument though.

It's easy to be rational when you have suffered no personal 'minor inconvenience'. Sorry D i agree with you a majority of the time but this decision was made too late. A road that regularly floods during heavy rain was underwater at 10.30am latest. At 11 the game was declared on. The game was then called off approximately 90 minutes later when close to 100% of Hibs supporters who intended to attend were already at various stages of their journey. Between 11am and 12.30 there was no significant change in either weather or forecast yet in that time there was a substantial enough change to warrant a football match being called off. Sorry but no matter how you try to rationalise it this was a cock up on the part of either Police Scotland or Morton or both. At least 5 supporters buses have travellers out of pocket, several hundred Hibs fans have paid for a game they won't see and it would all have been avoidable had someone been brave enough to have taken a decision when several other referees and match commanders across the country did.

Jonnyboy
05-12-2015, 10:16 PM

That's not what I meant at all and I think you know that.

Some posts come across as though those who travelled were daft for doing so, given the info they had on the weather conditions. My contention is that we were being continually told the pitch was ok and the game was on. We set out on that basis, only to be told that the game was off when the truth of the matter is that the decision could and should have been made much earlier.

Hibbyradge
05-12-2015, 10:18 PM
I thought you were bowing out:confused:

What's so confusing, Ronnie? :confused:

I've withdrawn from the discussion as to whether or not the decision to call the game off a mere 2 and a half hours before kick off was reasonable or not. I think it was, others think not. There is nothing to be had from an argument about that history manymore. There never was.

However, I'll still answer points or questions put to me or jibes.

It would be very rude to do otherwise as I'm sure you'd agree.

silverhibee
05-12-2015, 10:20 PM

You keep repeating the same thing but have not responded once to the many posts on here today from fans on the Morton forum saying there was flooding starting in Morton round about 10.30 this morning, the signs were already showing but it took another 2 hours to decide to call the game off, the police would have surely noticed some flooding early this morning and knowing that the weather was not going to get any better as the day went on should have made the call earlier on to call the game off.

Football isn't cheap for the fans, a early call from the Police calling the game off after finding out Partick Celtic & St Mirren games were called off would have saved fans a few quid today, the weather predicted for this weekend screamed that this game should have been called off.

Hibbyradge
05-12-2015, 10:23 PM

Some posts come across as though those who travelled were daft for doing so, given the info they had on the weather conditions. My contention is that we were being continually told the pitch was ok and the game was on. We set out on that basis, only to be told that the game was off when the truth of the matter is that the decision could and should have been made much earlier.

No, I didn't know that. I certainly don't think folk were daft for travelling and I don't think I gave the impression that I did.

There were several games cancelled later than ours so it must have been a difficult day for all involved.

marinello59
05-12-2015, 10:24 PM

The game should have been called off earlier. But I was daft for travelling because deep down I knew this game was going to be called off. Basically I needed somebody to save me from myself, I wanted to see Hibs play.:greengrin

Hibbyradge
05-12-2015, 10:25 PM
It's not an entirely unreasonable argument though.

It's easy to be rational when you have suffered no personal 'minor inconvenience'.

Indeed.

And it's easy to be irrational when you have. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2015, 10:28 PM
I drove up in the morning, and to be quite honest I was surprised the game was on right up to around 12ish. And if I'd known the proclaimers were going to be as pish as they were,I'd have stayed in bed and not bothered trying to go to either event.

Golden Bear
05-12-2015, 10:29 PM
No, I didn't know that. I certainly don't think folk were daft for travelling and I don't think I gave the impression that I did.

There were several games cancelled later than ours so it must have been a difficult day for all involved.

Indeed. But because of the condition
of the playing surface it or the condition of the roads?

Pretty Boy
05-12-2015, 10:31 PM
Indeed.

And it's easy to be irrational when you have. :wink:

It's arguments like that that make me agree with you a lot:greengrin

Ronniekirk
05-12-2015, 10:32 PM
What's so confusing, Ronnie? :confused:

I've withdrawn from the discussion as to whether or not the decision to call the game off a mere 2 and a half hours before kick off was reasonable or not. I think it was, others think not. There is nothing to be had from an argument about that history manymore. There never was.

However, I'll still answer points or questions put to me or jibes
It would be very rude to do otherwise as I'm sure you'd agree.

Some folk ( not me ) are clearly well pissed off the decision wasn't taken earlier , I emphathise with them .The confusion is I never know how to use these smileys the right way ,although nothing Wrong with a bit of Jibe talking on a Saturday Night :drunk:

Jonnyboy
05-12-2015, 10:35 PM

Then I am disappointed in you :wink:

Jonnyboy
05-12-2015, 10:37 PM
I drove up in the morning, and to be quite honest I was surprised the game was on right up to around 12ish. And if I'd known the proclaimers were going to be as pish as they were,I'd have stayed in bed and not bothered trying to go to either event.

Have seen them a few times, G and they've never been pish! Were they really that bad or did your numerous pints etc cloud your view? :greengrin

FranckSuzy
05-12-2015, 10:40 PM

Saw them last night and they were :not worth :top marks....... :confused:

marinello59

I saw the Proclaimers in the Fishermans Hall in Buckie when the Sunshine on Leith album first came out. They were brilliant . Saw them a few years ago at the AECC and it was underwhelming to say the least. I'm not so sure they work in bigger venues. Still love them though.

Ronniekirk
Have seen them a few times, G and they've never been pish! Were they really that bad or did your numerous pints etc cloud your view? :greengrin

Haven't seen them on this tour but saw them at the new Hydro a few years back and the bigger arena there just didn't suit them and out of all the gigs I have seen there , there's is the poorest I have seen

Hibbyradge
05-12-2015, 10:42 PM
Indeed. But because of the condition
of the playing surface it or the condition of the roads?

I have no idea.

But a person or persons would have been blamed, not the weather! :greengrin

Hibbyradge
05-12-2015, 10:44 PM
Some folk ( not me ) are clearly well pissed off the decision wasn't taken earlier , I emphathise with them .The confusion is I never know how to use these smileys the right way ,although nothing Wrong with a bit of Jibe talking on a Saturday Night :drunk:

:thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
05-12-2015, 10:44 PM
Then I am disappointed in you :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
05-12-2015, 10:45 PM
I have no idea.

But a person or persons would have been blamed, not the weather! :greengrin

We are in a blame culture.....

Having spoken to a Morton official, I was told Inverclyde was gridlocked, and buses wouldn't have got to the match in time anyway........Seen a photo of the road, and it was probably the correct decision, doesn't make me feel that much better, so I am blaming God.......

Hibbyradge
05-12-2015, 10:45 PM
It's arguments like that that make me agree with you a lot:greengrin

The feeling is mutual, S. :aok:

marinello59
05-12-2015, 10:47 PM

Having spoken to a Morton official, I was told Inverclyde was gridlocked, and buses wouldn't have got to the match in time anyway........Seen a photo of the road, and it was probably the correct decision, doesn't make me feel that much better, so I am blaming God.......

Sauzee had **** all to do with this.

Baldy Foghorn
05-12-2015, 10:48 PM
Sauzee had **** all to do with this.

Not that God J:aok:

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2015, 10:48 PM
No John, got to say they played a lot of stuff no bugger seemed to have heard before. As always a good finish, but to be honest they have been better in my opinion. And missing the 702 was a right pisser lol

Andy74
05-12-2015, 10:54 PM
No John, got to say they played a lot of stuff no bugger seemed to have heard before. As always a good finish, but to be honest they have been better in my opinion. And missing the 702 was a right pisser lol

I thought they were brilliant last night. Gigs in big theatres take a wee while to get rocking but it did.

There were a few songs from the new album but that's what you get. Plenty of the oldies too.

marinello59
05-12-2015, 10:54 PM
Not that God J:aok:

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2015, 10:56 PM
I thought they were brilliant last night. Gigs in big theatres take a wee while to get rocking but it did.

There were a few songs from the new album but that's what you get. Plenty of the oldies too.

You never agree with me lol

matty_f
05-12-2015, 10:59 PM
At what point, did the Polis advise against travelling? given the fact that a half brained groundsman, and 2 football clubs had said that the game was a go-er at 9am, 11;20am and then at 12:25pm that the game was in danger and in 5 minutes, it's no happening. whorra f/kin shambles. don't try to shift the blame onto fans that went there in good faith, to see their team. stand up, look around you and admit that the Clubs involved, the Polis, and the Scottish football authorities have a lot to answer for, for this debacle. the warnings were there 2 days ago and they chose to wait to the last minute, before telling fans that this game in particular was not going ahead
I'm not blaming the fans, just saying that the police wouldn't be liable for refunding travel costs.

The travel advice has been on the news, on twitter etc.

Edit: that's not to say it shouldn't have been called off earlier - it should have. :agree:

Andy74
05-12-2015, 11:04 PM
You never agree with me lol

Yes I do.

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2015, 11:06 PM
Yes I do.

Childish.

monktonharp
05-12-2015, 11:13 PM
I drove up in the morning, and to be quite honest I was surprised the game was on right up to around 12ish. And if I'd known the proclaimers were going to be as pish as they were,I'd have stayed in bed and not bothered trying to go to either event.Not 12ish, if I recall. more like 12:27ish , nae u turns allowed on the Kingston.

Ronniekirk
05-12-2015, 11:17 PM
Not 12ish, if I recall. more like 12:27ish , nae u turns allowed on the Kingston.

But to end on a positive note Just realised it's finally stopped raining after I6 hours non stop ,yon Desmond has a lot yo answer for

marinello59
05-12-2015, 11:24 PM
But to end on a positive note Just realised it's finally stopped raining after I6 hours non stop ,yon Desmond has a lot yo answer for

Have you contacted the clubs to offer your back garden for the rearranged game? :greengrin

silverhibee
05-12-2015, 11:26 PM

As the North of Edinburgh is being hammered with rain now.

The Hibs Family Don't Welcome Desmond. :greengrin

Ronniekirk
06-12-2015, 12:02 AM
Have you contacted the clubs to offer your back garden for the rearranged game? :greengrin

St Mirren have already booked it

lord bunberry
06-12-2015, 03:38 AM

iwasthere1972
06-12-2015, 08:23 AM
Woke up this morning. Dry and no wind.

Looks like the weather's okay as well.

Lucius Apuleius
06-12-2015, 08:45 AM
Elder son , over from Norn Iron for the weekend, staying in Glasgow, jumped on the train from Central. He reckons the train hadn't even left Central and he had been on hoard for 12 seconds when he found out the game was off. Not a happy big chappy. Instead of hitting the bevvy like he should have he jumped off the train at Paisley and jumped on a bus to Brae head to meet up with his fiancee and her maw and auntie for 4 hours shopping ! Don't know where I went wrong. 😂😁😀😊☺:-)

Aldo
06-12-2015, 08:59 AM
St Mirren have already booked it

Yeah but do you not live in a flat!! ;-) :-)

Colr
06-12-2015, 09:40 AM

......and we're going to find out who is responsible!!

Killiehibbie
06-12-2015, 10:01 AM
Just spoke to a man who passed the flooded area at Langbank just after 10 yesterday morning, it was barely passable then and getting worse. Why wait another 2 1/2 hours to cancel the game?

ben johnson
06-12-2015, 10:12 AM
While this pitch inspection was taking place, and the road outside the stadium was flooded at this point , did anyone look up to the away terracing and think how can we expect a thousand odd people to stand there for 2 hours or so in this weather. We are often called the lifeblood of the game and told that the game is nothing without us. We seemed to be a little further down the pecking order yesterday. A Morton fan posted on their Forum that he was nearly blown off his feet walking to his car mid morning and that the game would be a farce if played due to the high winds. But the game was on according to the guys who make the decisions . Poor show

ballengeich
06-12-2015, 10:12 AM

Some people still don't realise just how much influence Celtic's owner has.

Hibbyradge
06-12-2015, 10:22 AM
While this pitch inspection was taking place, and the road outside the stadium was flooded at this point , did anyone look up to the away terracing and think how can we expect a thousand odd people to stand there for 2 hours or so in this weather. We are often called the lifeblood of the game and told that the game is nothing without us. We seemed to be a little further down the pecking order yesterday. A Morton fan posted on their Forum that he was nearly blown off his feet walking to his car mid morning and that the game would be a farce if played due to the high winds. But the game was on according to the guys who make the decisions . Poor show

I agree.

Football games should be postponed when there is extreme weather, be that torrential rain, high winds or driving snow whether it's settling or not.

6 Scottish games went ahead in that wind yesterday which is utterly ridiculous.

Jonnyboy
06-12-2015, 12:16 PM
Scotland on Sunday reporting Hibs want the game played this coming Tuesday but Morton won't agree.

iwasthere1972
06-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Scotland on Sunday reporting Hibs want the game played this coming Tuesday but Morton won't agree.

For all the hassle we went through yesterday, I think we should be awarded the three points. Maybe give the same to Raith Rovers while they're at it.

liamh2202
06-12-2015, 12:40 PM

Should have played it today.... Blue skies here

Ronniekirk
06-12-2015, 12:52 PM

We don't want a fixture pile up going into festive period and January when we already have cup games . This is where the Powers that be ,should step in and make them play it ,as unless Desmond's brother decides to pay a visit to Greenock that night ,then it should be played as soon as possible and if it's Tuesday night then what reason have Morton given that allows them to Dictate when it's played

Jonnyboy
06-12-2015, 01:03 PM
No reason offered in the article, Ronnie.

jgl07
06-12-2015, 01:32 PM
No reason offered in the article, Ronnie.
I suspect that a mid week match near to Christmas in unsettled weather would lead to a poor crowd. It would also be in competition with live televised Champions League matches.

Baldy Foghorn
06-12-2015, 01:40 PM
I suspect that a mid week match near to Christmas in unsettled weather would lead to a poor crowd. It would also be in competition with live televised Champions League matches.

That doesn't matter these days, there are cup replays on Tuesday, and we have already had a midweek game which was on same night as Champions League Matches.......It doesn't leave much time for bus organisers to get fixed up though......

Ronniekirk
06-12-2015, 02:29 PM

Tuesday night in Greenock is to be fine Would rather play it as soon as we can in reasonable weather Personally I couldn't give a toss about Champions Leaugue if Hibs are playing
To address Bladyfoghorns point about organising buses at short notice !Leeann should use her persuasive powers to get the Board to put on a fleet of buses at a pound a head for those that already forked out ,would be a good X mass gesture to the hard core fans that travel most weeks to support the club :agree::agree:

nonshinyfinish
06-12-2015, 04:31 PM
We don't want a fixture pile up going into festive period and January when we already have cup games . This is where the Powers that be ,should step in and make them play it ,as unless Desmond's brother decides to pay a visit to Greenock that night ,then it should be played as soon as possible and if it's Tuesday night then what reason have Morton given that allows them to Dictate when it's played

With cup replays isn't the standard a minimum of 10 days to allow the police to prepare? No doubt that can be negotiated (you don't exactly need a massive policing operation for Morton–Hibs on a Tuesday night), but might it be that it requires the agreement of both clubs and the polis to do it earlier than 10 days hence?

Don't really see what difference it will make to Morton mind – no chance of having it on a Saturday unless they want to wait until February, so surely this Tuesday is as good as any time revenue-wise? Or maybe they realise they're on for a humping and are hoping that our form will have dipped in a couple of months?

SausageSurprise
06-12-2015, 04:33 PM
Play it ASAP and let's get the points on the board

greenlex
06-12-2015, 04:36 PM
Let's play it in March.

Danderhall Hibs
06-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Let's play it in March.

We could just do a 6-pointer in April - just play through there once this season.

PatHead
06-12-2015, 05:49 PM
We ended up going through by car and got as far as the roundabout just past the Port Glasgow sign when i got a call saying it was off. We had gone through a really deep piece of flooding which I understand was one of the causes of the call off as the road was not safe. Don't know if that was the bit which was flooded at 1030 but I dread to think what that would have been like at 5pm with that rain and in the dark.

Morton and the police should be taken to task for not thinking about safety after the game as well as before hand. Pretty much the whole way through the speed limits were 40mph on the M8. It was not safe to travel and a decision should have been made much earlier.

ancient hibee
06-12-2015, 06:10 PM

Don't care for this big club idea that Morton should be forced to do something they don't want to do just for our benefit.

Billy Whizz
06-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Morton have a game on Friday 18th, so for me the only dates pre Xmas are Tuesday 15/22nd in my opinion

Ronniekirk
06-12-2015, 06:30 PM
Don't care for this big club idea that Morton should be forced to do something they don't want to do just for our benefit.

Please yourself ,but I wasn't coming from the big club angle ,merely a practical quick solution ,and yes to avoid us having to play it at a time we may still be in two cups etc .
But I have yet to hear thier reason for not playing it ,if it's a valid one fair enough .
i want us to keep winning and be challenging Rangers I make no bones about that ,so if Hibs want it played and Morton have said no ,all I want to do is to be able to understand thier rationale .
play it when the weather is OK which it will be on Tuesday according to the forecast

Ronniekirk
06-12-2015, 06:36 PM
Morton have a game on Friday 18th, so for me the only dates pre Xmas are Tuesday 15/22nd in my opinion
What's the matter with this Tuesday when Hibs would prefer it played , you said yourself you thought we needed a game before playing Falkirk
22 Nd is too near X mass and can't see a big Hibs support coming through that night Billy

Billy Whizz
06-12-2015, 06:40 PM
What's the matter with this Tuesday when Hibs would prefer it played , you said yourself you thought we needed a game before playing Falkirk
22 Nd is too near X mass and can't see a big Hibs support coming through that night Billy

Nothing wrong with this Tuesday other than Morton seemingly said no. SPFL will probably set a date tomorrow. We could do with this game being played pre xmas, as we have the Morton home game on the 30th Jan to rearrange

Ronniekirk
06-12-2015, 06:46 PM
u
Nothing wrong with this Tuesday other than Morton seemingly said no. SPFL will probably set a date tomorrow. We could do with this game being played pre xmas, as we have the Morton home game on the 30th Jan to rearrange

Cheers Billy ,hope a date is set tomorrow as like you would prefer it's this side of X mass and to be able to plan ahead ,lots of nights out coming up .

Col2
06-12-2015, 06:50 PM
I think it might be Tue 22nd given we play Saturday and then play Friday of previous week and we are then due to pla following Monday. Might be decent crowd given some people might have finished for xmas.

Iggy Pope
06-12-2015, 07:09 PM
Please yourself ,but I wasn't coming from the big club angle ,merely a practical quick solution ,and yes to avoid us having to play it at a time we may still be in two cups etc .
But I have yet to hear thier reason for not playing it ,if it's a valid one fair enough .
i want us to keep winning and be challenging Rangers I make no bones about that ,so if Hibs want it played and Morton have said no ,all I want to do is to be able to understand thier rationale .
play it when the weather is OK which it will be on Tuesday according to the forecast

I read on SSN early yesterday morning that they had three or four players out for the scheduled fixture..............:cb

scoopyboy
06-12-2015, 07:32 PM
I read on SSN early yesterday morning that they had three or four players out for the scheduled fixture..............:cb

We had three out yesterday, all midfielders so I'm a bit surprised we wanted to play it this Tuesday.