PDA

View Full Version : world cup expansion to 40 teams

Off the bar
03-12-2015, 11:33 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34994402

FIFA looking to expand the world cup from 32 to 40 teams for the 2026 tournament. Would that be enough for Scotland to qualify?

Kato
03-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Would that be enough for Scotland to qualify?

Nope.

Off the bar
03-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Nope.

We'd probably be in a great position just needing a win in Georgia. . . .

EdinMike
03-12-2015, 11:41 AM
Depends if we can scrounge together enough to become part of the "corrupt crew"

The_Exile
03-12-2015, 11:47 AM
It would seem the only way we're going to get to play in a major tournament finals is if we host the bloody thing.

southern hibby
03-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Listen we could host the World Cup and still sum how not qualify.

GGTTH

Diclonius
03-12-2015, 12:36 PM
208 teams are qualifying for the 2018 World Cup - FIFA could expand the World Cup to 206 teams and we would still not qualify, going out in a last-minute "glorious failure" play-off defeat to San Marino Under-20s.

jgl07
03-12-2015, 12:44 PM
Any idea how a 40 team World Cup could be organized?

Ten groups of four?

Each group winner plus six best-placed runners up go through to the Round of 16?

Very messy indeed.

Alternatively eight groups of five with top two to qualify?

That would stretch the whole thing out.

ancient hibee
04-12-2015, 03:34 PM
Any idea how a 40 team World Cup could be organized?

Ten groups of four?

Each group winner plus six best-placed runners up go through to the Round of 16?

Very messy indeed.

Answers on the back of a hundred dollar bill to any FIFA committee member.

Eyrie
04-12-2015, 06:48 PM

Which would mean more money for them due to increased TV coverage, so it's the likely outcome.

ScottB
04-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Would be interesting to see which confederations would get how many more spots.

I'm sure there will be a lot of lobbying going on...

Jumbo
04-12-2015, 08:09 PM

its apparently to allow a greater number of African and Asian teams as Europe won't give up any of their spots

Scott Allan Key
04-12-2015, 08:10 PM

Would give extra places to Africa and Asia and make Oceania compete with Asians for automatic qualification. Can't help but feel this will have impact on FIFA corruption outcome.

Billy Whizz
04-12-2015, 08:11 PM
its apparently to allow a greater number of African and Asian teams as Europe won't give up any of their spots

When you see who the likes of Australia play to get through, we don't really want any more Diddy teams like them in the finals, even though it's about spreading the game worldwide

Prof. Shaggy
04-12-2015, 08:13 PM

FIFA looking to expand the world cup from 32 to 40 teams for the 2026 tournament. Would that be enough for Scotland to qualify?

I think I heard the plan is proposed to meet demands for more representation from Africa and Asia without reducing Europe's current share.
If that's true it's not likely to affect Scotland's chances.

Prof. Shaggy
04-12-2015, 08:14 PM

I'm a bit slow today...

Onceinawhile
04-12-2015, 11:39 PM
There's enough Diddy teams as it is.

10 groups of 4 with 20 going through? How would that work?

Or 8 groups of 5?

Sir David Gray
04-12-2015, 11:46 PM
Nope I don't think that would help Scotland at all.

Almost half of UEFA member states now qualify for the European Championships and we still can't make it!

Salisbury Hibby
05-12-2015, 05:47 AM
There's enough Diddy teams as it is.

10 groups of 4 with 20 going through? How would that work?

Or 8 groups of 5?
8 Groups of 5 would be simplest. More group games and top two going through to knockout.

I hope we never go back to the second stage group idea. Cups should have a knockout element.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Steve-O
05-12-2015, 10:38 PM
When you see who the likes of Australia play to get through, we don't really want any more Diddy teams like them in the finals, even though it's about spreading the game worldwide

Australia have done reasonably well in World Cups really?

Danderhall Hibs
06-12-2015, 08:56 AM
Australia have done reasonably well in World Cups really?

If they get another team from that region though they'll likely be murder. Big gulf between Australia and the rest isn't there?

Mr White
06-12-2015, 08:59 AM
If they get another team from that region though they'll likely be murder. Big gulf between Australia and the rest isn't there?

Australia moved to the asian federation a few years ago.

NZ are now the only nation from the oceana federation likely to qualify for the wc (like they did in 2010) but they have to play off against an asian nation to get there after winning their own qualifying section.

Danderhall Hibs
06-12-2015, 09:04 AM
Australia moved to the asian federation a few years ago.

NZ are now the only nation from the oceana federation likely to qualify for the wc (like they did in 2010) but they have to play off against an asian nation to get there after winning their own qualifying section.

So they did - that was to make it easier for Australia cos they could never get past the play offs wasn't it?

Mr White
06-12-2015, 09:09 AM
So they did - that was to make it easier for Australia cos they could never get past the play offs wasn't it?

I think the aussies wanted to participate in the AFC to be competing at a higher standard. I think there's been some talk recently about other members of the AFC wanting them out. Not sure if that's likely though.

Future17
06-12-2015, 09:21 AM

I think Australia were more interested in benefitting from more regular competitive games against higher quality teams like Japan, South Korea, Iran etc.

I think FIFA have, for once, made the right decision in delaying plans for a 40-team World Cup until the pros and cons have been fully analysed.

I'd quite like FIFA to assess the feasibility of restricting all international fixtures to a 5 or 6 month period during the 2 year World Cup cycle. So, for example, in the lead up to Russia 2018 all international fixtures would be played between the middle of March 2018 and the end of July 2018.

During this period, nations would play their qualifiers, playoffs and the finals tournament. There would also be no club football whatsoever during this time. For the European leagues, the 2017-18 season calendar would be adjusted so all competitions finished at the start of March 2018. This would be accomplished by starting the season slightly earlier and making use of the weeks which are currently devoted to international games.

I know there would be logistical issues, but I can't think of any that would be insurmountable. I also think the final product, as in the teams which make it to the finals, would be a lot better as they have been playing together regularly for 3 months in the build-up to the tournament.

Forza Fred
06-12-2015, 09:46 AM

Nope...and the last time they played in the Oceania confederation they defeated Uruguay in the play offs to go to the finals.

They actually wanted to play in Asia so they could get away from the play off situation and qualify by home and away league type format......as happens for example in Europe.

My view is that Asia should be expanded to have two confederations...East and West, and Oceania should be abolished and the nations currently in it be incorporated in one of the Asian confederations.

That way, the number of confederations remains the same.

J-C
06-12-2015, 09:56 AM

They expanded the European Championships and we still couldn't qualify, enough said, we're *****.

whiskyhibby
06-12-2015, 11:25 AM
Any expansion will be to accommodate the huge growth in football in China and the Far East, it's not going to help Scotland, it's the SFA's job to get us competitive and they are doing nothing but pandering to the Old Firm, to the detriment of Scottish football as a whole, and that is unlikely to change any time soon