PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: SHOW RACISM THE RED CARD AT EASTER ROAD

RSS Bot
30-11-2015, 04:10 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/5912)

Pete
30-11-2015, 04:32 PM
Probably going to get pelters for this but....again?

Too much of something dilutes the message and it's implying that there is a huge in the game which I don't believe is the case. People might start getting fed up of it.

There are two massive white elephants in this country that are perhaps more deserving of attention and "red cards": homophobia and bigotry. Proportionally, we should be having events every week to combat these things such is the problem within our game and society in general.

Edit: I now realise this was an event for kids but the point remains: while tackling racism of all types is important, we have different priorities in this country.

Sergey
30-11-2015, 04:44 PM

Too much of something dilutes the message and it's implying that there is a huge in the game which I don't believe is the case. People might start getting fed up of it.

There are two massive white elephants in this country that are perhaps more deserving of attention and "red cards": homophobia and bigotry. Proportionally, we should be having events every week to combat these things such is the problem within our game and society in general.

Good post, Peter.

I'd also like to point out that racism works both ways. The whites can be discriminated against (and often are to a greater degree) by other ethnic groups, but that's not the story that the press are after.

Scott Allan Key
30-11-2015, 11:48 PM
Good post, Peter.

I'd also like to point out that racism works both ways. The whites can be discriminated against (and often are to a greater degree) by other ethnic groups, but that's not the story that the press are after.

True, spend time with any people and due to hurtful prejudice, one might easily feel and receive animosity due to both distasteful cultural attitudes, ignorance and misunderstanding. It works all ways. Best to keep lines of communication open. And when culture doesn't want to confront its true awfulness, that will create the most bad feeling.

But, us Scots couldn't be accused of having our head in the sand about particular issues.

Greencore
01-12-2015, 12:16 AM
The thing is I can't seem to remember of hearing of any racist behaviour at a Scottish football game recently (feel free to correct me) it's more sectarian behaviour by you know who. We should focus more on this. Because it's obviously the problem in this country. I really don't understand how they get away with it. If it was singing about a race would the police sit back and do nothing? Bloody joke.

jodjam
01-12-2015, 07:01 AM

Edit: I now realise this was an event for kids but the point remains: while tackling racism of all types is important, we have different priorities in this country.

Great post. While I've no doubt there may be incidents of racism in football and society, the people who run Scottish football continue to ignore the big sectarian elephant in the room.

Hibby Bairn
01-12-2015, 07:10 AM
The thing is I can't seem to remember of hearing of any racist behaviour at a Scottish football game recently (feel free to correct me) it's more sectarian behaviour by you know who. We should focus more on this. Because it's obviously the problem in this country. I really don't understand how they get away with it. If it was singing about a race would the police sit back and do nothing? Bloody joke.

Very good point.

lucky
01-12-2015, 07:29 AM
I'll be happy the day we no longer need events like this. Until then we should bang the drum against racism loud. As for no incidents at ER just trawl through some the match threads. There are always reports of unsavoury comments from fans at ER. Things have improved but not stamped out completely

NAE NOOKIE
01-12-2015, 08:00 AM
The biggest thing that happened in football to change things is the simple fact that since the mid 80s there is barely a club in the UK which doesn't have at least one black player on its books, you can hardly racially abuse the other sides black players when you have 2 or 3 in your own team.

Does that mean folk are less racist than they used to be? I hope so.