PDA

View Full Version : Stokes

ekhibee
29-11-2015, 04:28 PM
A couple of Celtic-supporting mates of mine have said he's likely away in January, and he doesn't seem to get a game for them now. I know we have plenty of good talent up front, I just wondered what people would think about the possibility of him playing for Hibs again?

SaulGoodman
29-11-2015, 04:31 PM
Don't need him.

MWHIBBIES
29-11-2015, 04:34 PM
Absolutely not.

Betty Boop
29-11-2015, 04:41 PM
Yes please !

mutley
29-11-2015, 04:43 PM
He was another player with fantastic talent for football , but personality-wise, not good for the club , if I remember correctly he was always borrowing cash of players (who were paid a lot less than him) to satisfy his gambling, and then his appearance at an IRA funeral?maybe someone can confirm or deny in his behalf but if true I don't want him near hibs again ( I did love his 11 second goal against the Huns though)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael
29-11-2015, 04:44 PM
Not for me. We could do without those types of characters. Plus, we have JC.

jacomo
29-11-2015, 05:03 PM
Not for me. We could do without those types of characters. Plus, we have JC.

Agreed.

Don't think he's better than what we have. And a potentially disruptive influence. I'd be amazed if Petrie sanctioned a move for him.

ScottB
29-11-2015, 05:20 PM
Absolutely not. Part of our turnaround has been, for me at least, us abandoning being some sort of rehab centre for players that have failed at higher levels and / or have clear off field problems.

Stokes in particularly would be a huge no, couldn't care less what he may or may not bring on the pitch, because what he'd bring off it could ruin the good thing we've got going just now.

danhibees1875
29-11-2015, 06:28 PM
I think he'd improve the squad, so yes.
A lot of the reasons for saying no could be applied to Griffiths or Riordan both of whom would have the majority wanting returns (the former way out of our league and the later wouldn't get too much of a look in atm).

Golden Bear
29-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Definately not for me. Too many potential risks both on and off the park.

noz
29-11-2015, 07:02 PM
definitely yes, who cares if he has some dodgy antics off the park, Riordan was no saint- if his goals got us promoted, then its a no- brainer. Hed have to prove it in training though.

SanFranHibs
29-11-2015, 07:22 PM
Have to say NO. Perhaps my concerns are without concrete evidence but not sure he would fit in the obvious team spirit we have in our dresssing room.

lord bunberry
29-11-2015, 07:40 PM
He doesn't really fit the bill of the type of players we're signing these days.

Bronson
29-11-2015, 07:44 PM
Absolutely 110% YES.

If you honestly think we wouldn't be a better team with a player like Stokes up front you're a loony. He's still one of the best strikers in the country and would start for any team outside celtic.

He'd be our best player.

jdships
29-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Don't need him.

:thumbsup::top marks

anon1875
29-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Seen him in nicos bar in Glasgow a few Sundays ago and seemed like a nice guy enjoying a few drinks with his friends. I think he would be the best player in the squad if he signed for us also. On the other hand I think it was really disrespectful to the Celtic fans tweeting about having to travel to Inverness to watch the team when he wasn't in the squad. There's plenty of fans who would spend their last £100 to follow them around the country and he's moaning because he has to sit on a bus for a few hours.

I wouldn't take him back at the moment because we've got a settled team with a striker who can't stop scoring and signing Stokes could be a bit of a risk.

iwasthere1972
29-11-2015, 08:52 PM
We would be in the news for all the wrong reasons. Might score goals but he would be a major distraction from what we doing correctly.

Too quick to go on Twitter and have a moan about not being picked and having to travel all the way to Inverness for nothing. Well loads of us have made that journey too but we didn't arrive back in Edinburgh or wherever knowing that we were thousands of pounds richer.

As quite a few people have said. We don't need him.

29-11-2015, 08:54 PM
I would take him. Would score goals for fun in this league. As long as he didn't disrupt the spirit and morale in the dressing room then why not.

Dashing Bob S
29-11-2015, 09:46 PM
Always liked Stokes. That freaky goal in that bizarre Motherwell game was one of the funniest things I've seen in football.

Like Riordan, O'Connor etc etc I don't want him back. We should be looking forward.

Andy74
29-11-2015, 09:56 PM
If he wasn't good for the club how did we get 4th place in top league with him there?

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2015, 10:13 PM
If he wasn't good for the club how did we get 4th place in top league with him there?

I'd personally say it was down to good management.

Sir David Gray
29-11-2015, 10:16 PM
Nope, not interested in signing him in the slightest.

He's bad news.

.Sean.
29-11-2015, 10:18 PM
Stokes is a terrorist-sympathising roaster.

**** him, let him rot. I'd be spewing if we signed him and thankfully it won't happen in a month of Sunday's.

poolman
29-11-2015, 10:19 PM
Why would we take him back

Who would we drop to let him in the team

Nah, no way 😠

Pete
29-11-2015, 10:22 PM
Definitely. Good Irish boy.

Maybe more signings like this will remind some fans of our history.

MWHIBBIES
29-11-2015, 10:45 PM
If he wasn't good for the club how did we get 4th place in top league with him there?We got 3rd with Simon Brown in goals.

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2015, 10:57 PM
We got 3rd with Simon Brown in goals.

More good management.

jacomo
29-11-2015, 11:02 PM

He had a belting season with us, no question. Feels like a long time ago, though, and I just can't see it happening 2nd time around.

oldbutdim
29-11-2015, 11:09 PM

Indeed.

Not many can remember Stokesy founding our club, and er...saving orphans and stuff.

Well said.

MWHIBBIES
30-11-2015, 01:11 AM
More good management.No doubt but we'd have got 3rd with Stokes as well if Yogi had given us more than 6 months of his good management.

snooky
30-11-2015, 03:11 AM
Another yesterday man.
Let's move forward, not back

highland hibbee
30-11-2015, 05:12 AM
Another yesterday man.

Totally agree. Another player who disrespected hibs when he went to Septic, Caldwell also did the same, that is came out in the press with the " trainings much harder at Celtic, ive lost half a stone in weight...." Maybe you should have trained harder at Hibs then ya wee scrote. So it's a no from me

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2015, 07:08 AM
No doubt but we'd have got 3rd with Stokes as well if Yogi had given us more than 6 months of his good management.

We might have. Can you imagine a Hibs team at the right end of the top league and moaning about it?

How things have changed.

Hibernian Verse
30-11-2015, 08:08 AM
Another yesterday man.

I would hardly describe someone who left us to go on and play Champions League football as a yesterday man. He's better than anyone we have at the club just now.

jacomo
30-11-2015, 08:27 AM
I would hardly describe someone who left us to go on and play Champions League football as a yesterday man. He's better than anyone we have at the club just now.

How much Champions League football has he played recently?

Surprised to learn he's only 27 or 28. He was sensational on loan to Falkirk, great goal scorer for us, then first team for Celtc.

But trouble has followed him everywhere he's been, and he looks like a player already in decline.

Maybe Sevco will go for him :hilarious

Hibbyradge
30-11-2015, 08:56 AM
Definitely maybe. :agree: :dunno: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCvN8-vAa9htuOR5oA-C7ZJ5tOrLleUv-Xwh6Q1YWJm4lvLLffIEeo7B4

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-11-2015, 09:06 AM

Is that more important than ability?

NAE NOOKIE
30-11-2015, 12:13 PM

http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/a%20gone%20fishin%20smiley.gif

This is what happens when Hibs have a weekend off :greengrin

--------
30-11-2015, 12:18 PM

You being serious, PD?

I don't want him or anyone like him - he takes us back to the bad old days of signing talented players who were "damaged goods", a euphemism in this case for an obnoxious, arrogant toerag who borrowed money from younger players earning less than himself (with no serious intention of ever repaying them), who associated publicly with IRA terrorist sympathisers, and wasn't unknown to be well the worse for drink in public.

Leeann Dempster and Alan Stubbs have worked hard to pit those days behind us and that's where they should stay.

There's a thread on this forum about Duncan Watmore, knocking loudly on the door of Sunderland's first team, graduating first-class honours in economics this week, a young man who's taken a few hard knocks in the game so far but still there working hard.

I have a huge respect for him and would welcome him back any time. Not that we're likely to get the chance.

Stokes is one of those for whom everything came easy at first - natural goalscorer, plenty chances given to him, signs for Celtic (and appears to have messed up there since they're not likely to keep him on in the New Year). I don't want people like Stokes near our squad, I'm afraid.

He's not in the same category as Deek - he's been sleazy and nasty in a way no one could ever accuse DK of being.

If Derek were match-fit I'd have him back like a shot, but I wouldn't want Stokes over the door ever again as a Hibs player.

JimBHibees
30-11-2015, 12:20 PM
You being serious, PD?

I don't want him or anyone like him - he takes us back to the bad old days of signing talented players who were "damaged goods", a euphemism in this case for an obnoxious, arrogant toerag who borrowed money from younger players earning less than himself (with no serious intention of ever repaying them), who associated publicly with IRA terrorist sympathisers, and wasn't unknown to be well the worse for drink in public.

Leeann Dempster and Alan Stubbs have worked hard to pit those days behind us and that's where they should stay.

There's a thread on this forum about Duncan Watmore, knocking loudly on the door of Sunderland's first team, graduating first-class honours in economics this week, a young man who's taken a few hard knocks in the game so far but still there working hard.

Stokes is one of those for whom everything came easy at first - natural goalscorer, plenty chances given to him, signs for Celtic (and appears to have messed up there since they're not likely to keep him on in the New Year). I don't want people like Stokes near our squad, I'm afraid.

He's not in the same category as Deek - he's been sleazy and nasty in a way no one could ever accuse DK of being.

If Derek were match-fit I'd have him back like a shot, but I don't want Stokes over the door ever again as a Hibs player.

Agree with that the guy has more baggage than a 747. Would rather not to be honest.

J-C
30-11-2015, 12:22 PM

I take it this tongue in cheek, if not very surprised at your comment Peter.

Bad Martini
30-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Not to say we dont want any players celtc may have. That would be stupid.

BUT, we dont need celtc rejects like Stokes...it's very much the other way around.....just look at a certain Mr S Allan. Left for bigger things apparently. Played 5. Nae goals. Got a nice warm seat though mind :greengrin:thumbsup:

Leave Stokes where he is. He can keep Scotty company :thumbsup:

KeithTheHibby
30-11-2015, 12:36 PM
2 things; we couldn't afford him even on a free and secondly he wouldn't come to us.

Lago
30-11-2015, 12:41 PM
2 things; we couldn't afford him even on a free and secondly he wouldn't come to us.
Good on both counts

allezsauzee
30-11-2015, 12:42 PM
I think Stokes would score for fun in the championship, however if he's not a good fit into the current team ethic then I would say no. I'm sure Stubbsie will be able to make that judgement call.

silverhibee
30-11-2015, 03:45 PM

3rd thing. Petrie would never allow it.

Thecat23
30-11-2015, 03:49 PM
3rd thing. Petrie would never allow it.

Thought Mr Petrie doesn't deal with anything at ER and LD has full control?! 😉

bingo70
30-11-2015, 03:57 PM
Have the people that are saying they don't want him for non footballing reasons ever met the guy?

The stories I've heard he sounds like a dick but I've never met the guy so I've no idea if they're true or not and who am I to judge someone I've never even met?

There's obviously rumours about gambling debts etc but how many rumours do you read on here and how many of them end up being true?

I just want hibs promoted, if he was to score goals to help us do that I wouldn't celebrate any less just because I've heard the guys a fud.

Pete
30-11-2015, 04:11 PM
http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/a%20gone%20fishin%20smiley.gif

This is what happens when Hibs have a weekend off :greengrin

It was aimed at the posters at the other end of the political spectrum but they don't all work. :greengrin

As for Stokes, I wouldn't take him as I don't think he's the sort of personality we need. Our dressing room is fine right now and there is no room for potentially disruptive influences no matter how good a player is.

Plus, If you're losing your hair then be a man and just let it go. No room for that poncieness at Hibs (Leigh and Fletcher would be forgiven as theirs actually look alright).

iwasthere1972
30-11-2015, 05:34 PM
You being serious, PD?

I have a huge respect for him and would welcome him back any time. Not that we're likely to get the chance.

If Derek were match-fit I'd have him back like a shot, but I wouldn't want Stokes over the door ever again as a Hibs player.

:agree:

I like Stokes as much as you like Joe Harper.

MWHIBBIES
30-11-2015, 05:34 PM
We might have. Can you imagine a Hibs team at the right end of the top league and moaning about it?

How things have changed.Not really, our form was horrendous in the second half of the season and didn't improve in the next, we were quite right to moan and eventually punt Hughes.

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2015, 05:38 PM
Not really, our form was horrendous in the second half of the season and didn't improve in the next, we were quite right to moan and eventually punt Hughes.

What has that got to do with what was said?:confused:

southern hibby
30-11-2015, 06:07 PM
I'll leave it to AS to decide if he's needed or not.

GGTTH

30-11-2015, 06:44 PM
Have to say NO. Perhaps my concerns are without concrete evidence but not sure he would fit in the obvious team spirit we have in our dresssing room.

That would also be the only concern for me. He would score goals for fun in this league but its his attitude is clearly not very good when things aren't going his way and i would be worried that he might disrupt what appears to be a very happy dressing room with high morale. We've already gotten rid of Allan who turned out to be a bit of a brat.

DTS
30-11-2015, 06:47 PM
I would 100% take him back but I would also say there is absolutely no chance of him coming back

silverhibee
30-11-2015, 07:34 PM
Thought Mr Petrie doesn't deal with anything at ER and LD has full control?! 

I'm pretty sure she does have full control TC. :wink:

BarneyHibby
30-11-2015, 07:39 PM
I would 100% take him back but I would also you there is absolutely no chance of him coming backThis

Thecat23
30-11-2015, 09:19 PM
Stokes won't be coming to Hibs anytime soon.

Edson Arantes
30-11-2015, 09:22 PM
I take it this tongue in cheek, if not very surprised at your comment Peter.

Agreed.

That was a bit bad.

Edson Arantes
30-11-2015, 09:24 PM
Not to say we dont want any players celtc may have. That would be stupid.

BUT, we dont need celtc rejects like Stokes...it's very much the other way around.....just look at a certain Mr S Allan. Left for bigger things apparently. Played 5. Nae goals. Got a nice warm seat though mind :greengrin:thumbsup:

Leave Stokes where he is. He can keep Scotty company :thumbsup:

Aye :thumbsup:

Big L
30-11-2015, 10:07 PM
My sole interest is in getting out of this diddy league and if Cummings goes I would take stokes in a heart beat, he would score for fun in this league. Who knows, septic might come in for Jas and don't think for a moment he wouldn't go.

monktonharp
30-11-2015, 11:04 PM
My sole interest is in getting out of this diddy league and if Cummings goes I would take stokes in a heart beat, he would score for fun in this league. Who knows, septic might come in for Jas and don't think for a moment he wouldn't go.
:agree: Also, one man's terrorist could be another man's hero:duck:

Paisley Hibby
30-11-2015, 11:48 PM
Stokes is a Fud. Plus not even good enough to make the Celtic bench against Inverness so not good enough for us.

AndyM_1875
01-12-2015, 08:16 AM
Might not be much point trying to get Stokes back as in early 2016 he has to face trial for attacking an Elvis impersonator in Dublin and will possibly be in the nick for a while.

Tom English went through Stokes last night on Sportsound. I could not disagree with anything he said on Stokes who he described as totally immature. He is bad news and added on to his upcoming trial there is all that Real IRA stuff he has paid lip service to which goes down badly everywhere in the UK apart from with a tiny minority of brain dead Celtc types.

Personally I do not want someone associated with that poison anywhere near the club I support.

silverhibee
01-12-2015, 09:26 AM
Cardiff seemingly in for him in January.

--------
01-12-2015, 12:35 PM
:agree:

I like Stokes as much as you like Joe Harper.

Same principle - a good player can have a negative effect on a team or a club.

I don't think Stokes would have a positive effect on the present Hibs set-up.

And let's not get in a twist about the transfer window until the transfer window delivers something to get in a twist about ...

--------
01-12-2015, 12:36 PM
:agree: Also, one man's terrorist could be another man's hero:duck:

Yup. The bhoys who bombed Omagh were real heroes, eh?

Phil MaGlass
01-12-2015, 12:37 PM
Might not be much point trying to get Stokes back as in early 2016 he has to face trial for attacking an Elvis impersonator in Dublin and will possibly be in the nick for a while.

Tom English went through Stokes last night on Sportsound. I could not disagree with anything he said on Stokes who he described as totally immature. He is bad news and added on to his upcoming trial there is all that Real IRA stuff he has paid lip service to which goes down badly everywhere in the UK apart from with a tiny minority of brain dead Celtc types.

Personally I do not want someone associated with that poison anywhere near the club I support.

Everything you said:agree:

Weststandwanab
01-12-2015, 12:39 PM
Everything you said:agree:

I agree - not worth the hassle that would inevitably come with him,.

southsider
01-12-2015, 01:35 PM
TBH Stokes has a point. To be left in the stand whilst Carlton Cole got on would do my head in (if I cared). Cole looked about 3 stone overweight and had eat Billy Bunter for lunch. Strip size xxxxxxl !

Greenworld
02-12-2015, 07:30 AM
Stokes won't be coming to Hibs anytime soon.
Agree with you AS has stated all along that he wants a striker signed in Jan window I suspect he already knows who he wants not stokes

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

CentreLine
02-12-2015, 08:28 AM

👍 Well said!

J-C
02-12-2015, 10:11 AM
Been suspended by Celtic for 2 weeks for his twitter rant.