The Hibees win the Joe Davis cup final in Gent 3-1

Well done the Murray brothers :thumbsup:

Section 43 were amazing too :wink: :greengrin

linlithgowhibbie
29-11-2015, 02:12 PM
The Hibees win the Joe Davis cup final in Gent 3-1

Well done the Murray brothers :thumbsup:

Section 43 were amazing too :wink: :greengrin

Don't think they looked comfortable in red white and blue whilst draped in Union Flags tho!!!:thumbsup:

sambajustice
29-11-2015, 02:15 PM
Hibs finally win the BIG cup!!!

:-D

iwasthere1972
29-11-2015, 02:37 PM
That rendition of God Save the Queen was horrendous. If that had been the next door neighbour singing that then I would have banged on their door and told them to shut up.

Well done GB.

The Harp
29-11-2015, 02:51 PM
Great achievement, and huge part played by Andy and Jamie Murray. Always good to see Hibees doing well, whether it's in football or in another field ... and not a Yam in sight (hopefully).
Well done the Murray boys!

rcarter1
29-11-2015, 02:54 PM
Im glad that we have won this Cup. I don't feel so silly about once having asked how many time Hibs had won the Ryder Cup. :hide:

MB62
29-11-2015, 03:01 PM
Im glad that we have won this Cup. I don't feel so silly about once having asked how many time Hibs had won the Ryder Cup. :hide:

Bernard Gallacher was one Hibby who won the Ryder Cup :flag::flag: :thumbsup:

rcarter1
29-11-2015, 03:09 PM
Bernard Gallacher was one Hibby who won the Ryder Cup :flag::flag: :thumbsup:

good point! Is there anything we haven't won? :greengrin

Scorrie
29-11-2015, 03:17 PM

Does the Petrofeck count 😈

iwasthere1972
29-11-2015, 03:19 PM

Eurovision Song Contest. Or have we?

Answers on a postcard to.........

HIBERNIAN-0762
29-11-2015, 04:17 PM
That rendition of God Save the Queen was horrendous. If that had been the next door neighbour singing that then I would have banged on their door and told them to shut up.

Agreed, how embarrassing was that? high time we scrapped it and did a song about the UK as a whole, not a song to a silly old bint.

Famous Fiver
29-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Sang God Save the Queen with a Union Jack wrapped round him.

How will our Masonic brothers along the M8 handle that, him being a Hibby n'all?

Well done Andy, knighthood calling.

CropleyWasGod
29-11-2015, 04:53 PM
Eurovision Song Contest. Or have we?

Answers on a postcard to.........
Dana International used to run with the CCS.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

FranckSuzy
29-11-2015, 04:59 PM

:faf:

iwasthere1972
29-11-2015, 05:48 PM

:greengrin

Hibbyradge
29-11-2015, 05:52 PM

:agree:

Total boy.

Lago
29-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Don't think they looked comfortable in red white and blue whilst draped in Union Flags tho!!!:thumbsup:
Looked pretty happy to me, even when singing God Save the Queen.

ronaldo7
29-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Looked pretty happy to me, even when singing God Save the Queen.

Looks better here.

15700:aok:

God Petrie
29-11-2015, 08:58 PM

How will our Masonic brothers along the M8 handle that, him being a Hibby n'all?

He's already turned down a knighthood.

Lago
29-11-2015, 09:14 PM
Plenty time for that.

29-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Andy Murray will certainly be SIR Andy Murray one day. No doubt about that and he absolutely deserves it. An incredible sportsman.

iwasthere1972
29-11-2015, 09:25 PM
Andy Murray will certainly be SIR Andy Murray one day. No doubt about that and he absolutely deserves it. An incredible sportsman.

Should be soon when you consider that Bradley Wiggins got it for riding a bike. :agree:

GreenCastle
29-11-2015, 10:16 PM

I don't think this is true ? :confused:

Andy74
29-11-2015, 10:18 PM

Don't think he has been offered one.

Strange when the likes of Kelly Holmes is honoured for doing well at basically one or two events.

GreenCastle
29-11-2015, 10:47 PM
Don't think he has been offered one.

Strange when the likes of Kelly Holmes is honoured for doing well at basically one or two events.

Kelly won Gold at Olympics at 800m and 1500m

Murray has surely done enough for sport / tennis in the UK to deserve to become SIR ANDY MURRAY - especially with Wiggins and especially Ainslie (sailing) getting them.

A list of current knights and dames...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sporting_knights_and_dames

Scouse Hibee
29-11-2015, 11:18 PM
Kelly won Gold at Olympics at 800m and 1500m

Murray has surely done enough for sport / tennis in the UK to deserve to become SIR ANDY MURRAY - especially with Wiggins and especially Ainslie (sailing) getting them.

A list of current knights and dames...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sporting_knights_and_dames

It was to soon after his OBE, they like to leave a reasonable amount of time, his time will come.

iwasthere1972
29-11-2015, 11:39 PM
Surprised Gary MacKay hasn't received his knighthood yèt considering he must have more medals than any British Sportsperson.

Argylehibby
30-11-2015, 09:40 PM
Radio 5 live after the win the commentator says "it's on a par with England winning the World Cup in 66, with Manchester Utd. and Liverpool winning the European Cup....." Here was me thinking it was A GB team where all the points in the final were won by 2 Scots from Dunblane. :rolleyes: English media wonder why the rest of the UK want England beaten at everything they play.

TRC
30-11-2015, 09:49 PM
Did the entire england cricket team not get a nighthood for winning one test match?

Sir David Gray
30-11-2015, 09:55 PM
Did the entire england cricket team not get a nighthood for winning one test match?

11 of the 12 players who took part in the 2005 Ashes series were awarded the MBE and Michael Vaughan (who was captain) was awarded the OBE.

lyonhibs
01-12-2015, 05:41 AM
Radio 5 live after the win the commentator says "it's on a par with England winning the World Cup in 66, with Manchester Utd. and Liverpool winning the European Cup....." Here was me thinking it was A GB team where all the points in the final were won by 2 Scots from Dunblane. :rolleyes: English media wonder why the rest of the UK want England beaten at everything they play.

What's the point you're making here? What comparable Scottish team event achievements should be have quoted??

Would you honestly have been happier if he'd quoted Celtc's Lisbon Lions?

FWIW, I don't think sports commentators should be indulging in lazy comparisons, especially between sports, but a bit of knicker-knot untying wouldn't go amiss here

blackpoolhibs
01-12-2015, 06:25 AM
What's the point you're making here? What comparable Scottish tram event achievements should be have quoted??

FWIW, I don't think sports commentators should be indulging in lazy comparisons, especially between sports, but a bit of knicker-knot untying wouldn't go amiss here

Balance i'd imagine?

Pete
01-12-2015, 06:40 AM
What's the point you're making here? What comparable Scottish tram event achievements should be have quoted??

Yeah we are actually pretty crap at the whole tram thing.

Argylehibby
01-12-2015, 07:11 AM

Yes I would have been happier if they had mentioned Celtic who according to English media are the first and only British winners of the European Cup. Man U were then 1st English and Liverpool 2nd English etc. even if the clown had stopped after the 1966 reference I would not have bothered it's the fact they ignored Celtic that hacked me off.

lyonhibs
01-12-2015, 08:33 AM
Yeah we are actually pretty crap at the whole tram thing.

A Freudian typo with an unintentionally accurate meaning :-P

MB62
01-12-2015, 09:40 AM

LH, if this was a one off slip of the tongue poor reference, then nobody would probably bat an eyelid. However, this is just a constant with 'english' media. At the weekend, the BBC sport website has the British girls WINING a SILVER medal at some trampoline championship, yet the SCOTTISH ladies LOST the final of the curling, same outcome/finishing position but one won whilst the other lost.

GreenLake
01-12-2015, 10:09 AM

Sir Hibs Fan. :flag:

--------
01-12-2015, 12:07 PM

What's the point you're making here? What comparable Scottish team event achievements should be have quoted??

Balance i'd imagine?

I would agree with Argyle and BH here.

In the Davis Cup British players compete as representing Great Britain, not England. It's been blindingly obvious for a long time that the Murray brothers are British when they win and Scots when they lose.

Years and years ago the Monty Python crowd did a blatantly racist sketch about a plot to have a Scotsman win Wimbledon (as if any English player of the time had the ghost of a chance of winning anything). My, how we laughed! As if a Scot could ever win Middle England's summer bat-ball fest. They depicted their 'Scotsmen' as gruntng gnomes in droopy kilts and oversize balmoral bunnets.

Now the only Brit with the faintest chance of winning Wimbledon or any other major tennis singles tournament is a Scot, and his brother's in the only doubles team that wins things as well.

It's also a fact that the European Cup first arrived in Great Britain courtesy of the Lisbon Lions, a fact that at the time did not go down well with our southern neighbours who were still high on their success of the previous summer and sticking it to everyone - especially us Scots - at every opportunity. Jock Stein and his guys did what Matt Busby and the red half of Manchester had been trying to do for a decade, and all credit and praise to them for doing so. So yes it WOULD have been proper and appropriate for the goon on R5 to have mentioned Celtic ahead of United and Liverpool - no offence to them, nor do I grudge or denigrate their later achievements.

I'd far rather see either of them winning the CL than Bayern or Real Madrid or Chelsea. Or Megabucks City in their sky-blue shirts.

We could argue that one family in a small town in Perthshire has managed to do what the whole of British tennis could not do for more than seven decades, but that wouldn't be true. The Davis Cup team works as a team, and I'm sure Andy and jamie Murray aren't about to write off the contributions of the coaches, team officials, and their fellow players in the victory of last weekend's final and the earlier rounda throughout the year.

At the same time, English commentators should be very aware that they would have absolutely nothing to celebrate in the sport of tennis if it weren't for Judy Murray and her boys, and mind their manners accordingly.

Lago
01-12-2015, 12:15 PM
Much ado about nothing.

Well done Jamie & Andy plus James Ward and Kyle Edmunds

lyonhibs
01-12-2015, 12:42 PM
Much ado about nothing.

Well done Jamie & Andy plus James Ward and Kyle Edmunds

Assuming you're referring to the heinous crimes of commentary apparently committed, that's it in a nutshell for me :agree:

Without Englishman James Ward's epic effort against the USA, the UK might not have even got to the final. The witterings of some dolt on 5Live shouldn't impact on/diminish your appreciation and enjoyment of what the British team have achieved in winning the Davis Cup.

dangermouse
01-12-2015, 12:44 PM
Of the 12 points needed to win the trophy, the Murry brothers provided 11 of them :greengrin A victory made in Dunblane. No doubt had we lost to Belgium the Murray brothers would have been plucky Scots who just missed out on glory.

PatHead
01-12-2015, 12:52 PM
Of the 12 points needed to win the trophy, the Murry brothers provided 11 of them :greengrin A victory made in Dunblane. No doubt had we lost to Belgium the Murray brothers would have been plucky Scots who just missed out on glory.

Not to forget the Captain, Leon Smith who is from.........................

Glasgow

JimBHibees
01-12-2015, 12:55 PM
I would agree with Argyle and BH here.

In the Davis Cup British players compete as representing Great Britain, not England. It's been blindingly obvious for a long time that the Murray brothers are British when they win and Scots when they lose.

Years and years ago the Monty Python crowd did a blatantly racist sketch about a plot to have a Scotsman win Wimbledon (as if any English player of the time had the ghost of a chance of winning anything). My, how we laughed! As if a Scot could ever win Middle England's summer bat-ball fest. They depicted their 'Scotsmen' as gruntng gnomes in droopy kilts and oversize balmoral bunnets.

Now the only Brit with the faintest chance of winning Wimbledon or any other major tennis singles tournament is a Scot, and his brother's in the only doubles team that wins things as well.

It's also a fact that the European Cup first arrived in Great Britain courtesy of the Lisbon Lions, a fact that at the time did not go down well with our southern neighbours who were still high on their success of the previous summer and sticking it to everyone - especially us Scots - at every opportunity. Jock Stein and his guys did what Matt Busby and the red half of Manchester had been trying to do for a decade, and all credit and praise to them for doing so. So yes it WOULD have been proper and appropriate for the goon on R5 to have mentioned Celtic ahead of United and Liverpool - no offence to them, nor do I grudge or denigrate their later achievements.

I'd far rather see either of them winning the CL than Bayern or Real Madrid or Chelsea. Or Megabucks City in their sky-blue shirts.

We could argue that one family in a small town in Perthshire has managed to do what the whole of British tennis could not do for more than seven decades, but that wouldn't be true. The Davis Cup team works as a team, and I'm sure Andy and jamie Murray aren't about to write off the contributions of the coaches, team officials, and their fellow players in the victory of last weekend's final and the earlier rounda throughout the year.

At the same time, English commentators should be very aware that they would have absolutely nothing to celebrate in the sport of tennis if it weren't for Judy Murray and her boys, and mind their manners accordingly.

Stirlingshire. :nerd::greengrin

Lago
01-12-2015, 01:05 PM
Assuming you're referring to the heinous crimes of commentary apparently committed, that's it in a nutshel for me :agree:

Without Englishman James Ward's epic effort against the USA, the UK might not have even got to the final. The witterings of some dolt on 5Live shouldn't impact on/diminish your appreciation and enjoyment of what the British team have achieved in winning the Davis Cup.
Correct. James Wards win against John Isner was epic and contributed massively to the win aginst USA. Young Kyle Edmuns took the world number 16 to 5 sets again a massive contribution.:agree:

MB62
01-12-2015, 01:41 PM
Assuming you're referring to the heinous crimes of commentary apparently committed, that's it in a nutshell for me :agree:

Whilst this started as a bit of humour in claiming the Murray brothers as two of our own and a Davis Cup win for the Hibees, it's moved on from there to the unacceptable, IMO, position of, everything good in the sporting world is British/English.

I think it was during the 1/4 final game against the USA that the commentator claimed that if we won this match, it will be the first time 'ENGLAND' had qualified for the semi-final of the Davis cup since ??????? (I don't know when).

In fact, if memory serves, it was at half time during a rugby game and the BBC received numerous complaints about it and the person was forced to apologise.
They simply cannot differentiate between Britain & England, both exactly the same 'when it suits them' of course.

Argylehibby
01-12-2015, 05:28 PM

The commentator did not diminish my appreciation of the win for GB he just heightened my disregard for English media.

As others have said if you're Sottish, Irish or Welsh and you win your British lose and you're Scottish, Irish or Welsh.

Some years ago I was working late but left in time to catch the champions league final on the telly. The pre-match build up on the radio on the way home continually referred to the English champions and their chances against the Italians of Juventus. Then the commentary started to describe "problems" in the crowd inside Hysel stadium which got steadily worse. The commentator then started to go on about British fans letting the country down again. Not once before the trouble started was Britain mentioned yet the trouble kicked off and the rest of GB were dragged into it. English media have no intention of sharing glory with the rest of GB but are happy to share the less than glorious stuff.

--------
01-12-2015, 06:39 PM
Stirlingshire. :nerd::greengrin

Has it moved? :confused:

I blame my satnav - she's always leading me astray.

SuperAllyMcleod
01-12-2015, 07:03 PM
11 of the 12 players who took part in the 2005 Ashes series were awarded the MBE and Michael Vaughan (who was captain) was awarded the OBE.

Jeez, honours for winning a tournament with only two teams in it!

I constantly used to beat my brother at snooker, I assume my award is in the post?

Scouse Hibee
01-12-2015, 08:36 PM
LH, if this was a one off slip of the tongue poor reference, then nobody would probably bat an eyelid. However, this is just a constant with 'english' media. At the weekend, the BBC sport website has the British girls WINING a SILVER medal at some trampoline championship, yet the SCOTTISH ladies LOST the final of the curling, same outcome/finishing position but one won whilst the other lost.

Haha yer having a laugh.

MB62
02-12-2015, 11:49 AM
Haha yer having a laugh.

That was the way BBC reported it. It's maybe insignificant in the grand scheme of things but just another irritating piece of reporting for some of us.

Sergio sledge
02-12-2015, 02:32 PM

Except that the trampolinists were competing for GB in the World Championships and the curlers were Scottish and competing for Scotland in the European Championships.

So the reporting was accurate.

The whole Scottish when they lose and British when they win thing is a myth, if enough people complain about it then it becomes fact. It could never be proved that they would have been referred to differently if the result had been different and confirmation bias means that people just hear what they want to hear, they don't notice it when Murray is referred to as Scottish when he wins, only notice it when he loses and conversely, they don't hear it when Murray is referred to as British when he loses, just when he wins.

Sir David Gray
02-12-2015, 08:46 PM
Except that the trampolinists were competing for GB in the World Championships and the curlers were Scottish and competing for Scotland in the European Championships.

So the reporting was accurate.

The whole Scottish when they lose and British when they win thing is a myth, if enough people complain about it then it becomes fact. It could never be proved that they would have been referred to differently if the result had been different and confirmation bias means that people just hear what they want to hear, they don't notice it when Murray is referred to as Scottish when he wins, only notice it when he loses and conversely, they don't hear it when Murray is referred to as British when he loses, just when he wins.

:agree: Load of pish.

There was plenty of focus on Andy Murray being Scottish, when he won his Grand Slam titles and Olympic Gold medal.

Scouse Hibee
02-12-2015, 09:44 PM
:agree: Load of pish.

There was plenty of focus on Andy Murray being Scottish, when he won his Grand Slam titles and Olympic Gold medal.

Yes but selective hearing kicks in when folk want it to and particularly where sport, GB, England and Scotland are concerned.Biggest myth ever to come from Scotland.

Sir David Gray
02-12-2015, 09:51 PM
Yes but selective hearing kicks in when folk want it to and particularly where sport, GB, England and Scotland are concerned.Biggest myth ever to come from Scotland.

That's not you agreeing with me, is it?

Quick, delete it! :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
03-12-2015, 09:24 PM
That's not you agreeing with me, is it?

Quick, delete it! :greengrin

Eh? What you saying.................:wink:

GreenLake
04-12-2015, 04:32 AM
Andy Murray is a Hibs fan, Scottish and British for sure too but never at any time in his life English (or a Jambo).

The last Hibs fan to win Wimbledon was Andy Murray in 2013
The last Scottish man to win Wimbledon was Andy Murray in 2013.
The last British man to win Wimbledon was Andy Murray in 2013.
The last English man to win Wimbledon was Fred Perry in 1936.

The above are facts.

Congratulations to all the English guys on the British Davis Cup team for their contribution to our historic win.