PDA

View Full Version : NHC Next EPL manager to be shown the door?

iwasthere1972
28-11-2015, 05:01 PM
Steve McLaren must be hot favourite now. Thrashed 5-1 by Palace today and in the bottom three. Add the news during the week of a fight with the captain may suggest that it's not a happy camp.

Alan Shearer must be thinking of coming out of retirement.

Scorrie
28-11-2015, 05:16 PM
Perhaps Ashley will move Warburton to the Toon...

jacomo
28-11-2015, 05:28 PM

Oh I'm sure he would be tempted...

jgl07
28-11-2015, 05:48 PM
Only if they can find his magic hat?

1van Sprou7e
28-11-2015, 05:51 PM

That could potentially be the funniest thing to happen since they were liquidated

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Steve McLaren must be hot favourite now. Thrashed 5-1 by Palace today and in the bottom three. Add the news during the week of a fight with the captain may suggest that it's not a happy camp.

Was Shearer not in charge when they went down before? I wonder if Alan Pardew saw this in the post before he left?

Pretty Boy
28-11-2015, 06:01 PM
I really don't get Mike Ashley. He has more money than he could ever spend yet continues to bleed Newcastle, and Rangers, dry.

It must be greed or the actions of a total control freak. Hopefully if Newcastle go down it will make him consider selling up and getting as far away from St James as possible.

iwasthere1972
28-11-2015, 06:03 PM
Was Shearer not in charge when they went down before? I wonder if Alan Pardew saw this in the post before he left?

I meant Shearer playing for them not managing them. :wink:

Zazu62
28-11-2015, 07:47 PM
Would like Newcastle to appoint someone like Brendan Rodgers

Scottie
28-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Would like Newcastle to appoint someone like Brendan Rodgers
Would rather they gave the job to Terry Butcher :agree:

PISTOL1875
28-11-2015, 09:19 PM
It doesn't matter who takes that job , they are up against it from the start.. A bunch of deluded fans who somehow think Newcastle are a big club and have expectations that they have no chance of ever fufilling... People fall into the trap that because they have a big support they they are a big club..

Dalianwanda
28-11-2015, 09:38 PM
It doesn't matter who takes that job , they are up against it from the start.. A bunch of deluded fans who somehow think Newcastle are a big club and have expectations that they have no chance of ever fufilling... People fall into the trap that because they have a big support they they are a big club..
But IMO they are a big club...Ones who's fans are supporting their local team in big numbers...Not a big club built on marketing..Maybe haven't won much but to say they are deluded is a bit strong...Passionate yes..Im no Newcastle fan but I'd say they are big club who hasn't won much...Depends what you are measuring them on I suppose..

MWHIBBIES
28-11-2015, 09:42 PM
It doesn't matter who takes that job , they are up against it from the start.. A bunch of deluded fans who somehow think Newcastle are a big club and have expectations that they have no chance of ever fufilling... People fall into the trap that because they have a big support they they are a big club..Without question Newcastle are a huge club, their struggles are nothing to do with the fans.

Lago
28-11-2015, 09:52 PM
Watching MOTD and yet again Alan Shearer has one adjective, brilliant, everything is, yes, brilliant. Brilliant goal, brilliant pass, brilliant save, does my nut in.

Bostonhibby
28-11-2015, 10:08 PM

Got to be McLaren. I'd have sacked him before he was appointed to save all the faffing about.

lapsedhibee
28-11-2015, 10:15 PM
Got to be McLaren. I'd have sacked him before he was appointed to save all the faffing about.

:agree: It'd have taken away any fear he might have had of being sacked.

PISTOL1875
28-11-2015, 10:19 PM
But IMO they are a big club...Ones who's fans are supporting their local team in big numbers...Not a big club built on marketing..Maybe haven't won much but to say they are deluded is a bit strong...Passionate yes..Im no Newcastle fan but I'd say they are big club who hasn't won much...Depends what you are measuring them on I suppose..

Never a big club in a million years... The support is so big because they are a 1 city team...

Deluded is a bit strong ?? Have you ever had the pleasure of sitting in with them all ???

Big clubs are built on trophies and success.. The last time they won a major trophy was in 1969 and last time in a final was 1998....

They blame Mike Ashley for recent troubles BUT when they went down it was years of mis-management and spending money on over-rated and overpayed flops that got them there.. They also forget that without Mike Ashley putting his own money in after relegation they probably would've had to endure a whole lot more heartache..

Bostonhibby
28-11-2015, 10:20 PM
:agree: It'd have taken away any fear he might have had of being sacked.
Newport manager in the waiting. Looks the part and talks like butcher with a dubious Dutch dialect

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-11-2015, 10:47 PM

He was an odd appointment to begin with

iwasthere1972
28-11-2015, 10:54 PM
Watching MOTD and yet again Alan Shearer has one adjective, brilliant, everything is, yes, brilliant. Brilliant goal, brilliant pass, brilliant save, does my nut in.

So does John Motson's squeaky voice.

Pretty Boy
28-11-2015, 11:08 PM
Never a big club in a million years... The support is so big because they are a 1 city team...

Deluded is a bit strong ?? Have you ever had the pleasure of sitting in with them all ???

Big clubs are built on trophies and success.. The last time they won a major trophy was in 1969 and last time in a final was 1998....

They blame Mike Ashley for recent troubles BUT when they went down it was years of mis-management and spending money on over-rated and overpayed flops that got them there.. They also forget that without Mike Ashley putting his own money in after relegation they probably would've had to endure a whole lot more heartache..

Utter pish on many levels as usual.

We can't all support a club with an oil rich sugar daddy as a cash cow.

craigmounthibby
28-11-2015, 11:20 PM

Utter drivel.

1van Sprou7e
29-11-2015, 03:57 AM

What a truly awful post

I really hope you were taking the piss when you wrote this up because otherwise it's quite worrying how someone can truly believe in such a pile of *****

lucky
29-11-2015, 07:17 AM

So a big club is judged on the trophies they've won? So Nottingham Forest are a big club? Newcastle are a huge club. To get the support they get whilst rubbish is amazing.

easty
29-11-2015, 08:46 AM
I genuinely don't get why it's Mike Ashley's fault. The only player they lost in the summer, who was any good, was Santon. They spent about £50m bringing players in. What more is he meant to do? Take the training? Is it his fault that the players are doing ****, or the managers are humpty?

He made a mistake with Pardew right enough, but that can't be the only reason they're so messed up?

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2015, 08:53 AM
I read a piece on the internet or a newspaper a while back, that said their matchday income was miles behind the likes of Arsenal Chelsea ManU and a few more clubs i can't quite remember?

Add on that no bugger who's any good will want to sign for a struggling side who have struggled for years on the type of wages they pay, especially when it means living in or around Newcastle and the north east.

Unless they can bring in a rich owner like City or Chelsea, someone who can throw money around like confetti, and remember they will still have to live in the north east, then things won't be changing anytime soon.

The REALLY big clubs have it sown up these days, its difficult to see how any club can break into this cosy little cleek now.

jacomo
29-11-2015, 08:55 AM
I really don't get Mike Ashley. He has more money than he could ever spend yet continues to bleed Newcastle, and Rangers, dry.

It must be greed or the actions of a total control freak. Hopefully if Newcastle go down it will make him consider selling up and getting as far away from St James as possible.

He is supposedly a Spurs fan. I think his football investments are head over heart - clubs with large fanbases who like wearing branded apparel every day. He approaches them in the same pile-em-high, sell-em-cheap manner as his stores.

To be fair, Newcastle were drowning in debt when he took over, Rangers too when he bailed them out. He's made huge money out of turning around distressed businesses, and won't change his formula.

Pretty Boy
29-11-2015, 09:04 AM
I read a piece on the internet or a newspaper a while back, that said their matchday income was miles behind the likes of Arsenal Chelsea ManU and a few more clubs i can't quite remember?

Add on that no bugger who's any good will want to sign for a struggling side who have struggled for years on the type of wages they pay, especially when it means living in or around Newcastle and the north east.

Unless they can bring in a rich owner like City or Chelsea, someone who can throw money around like confetti, and remember they will still have to live in the north east, then things won't be changing anytime soon.

The REALLY big clubs have it sown up these days, its difficult to see how any club can break into this cosy little cleek now.

Contrary to what you'll read in the media, or from a poster on here, I don't think any Newcastle fan is deluded enough to think that challenging for the title like the 90s is on the cards again. However being relegated and battling relegation every season isn't good enough.

When you look at the consistent performance of the likes of Everton over the last 10-15 years or more recently Southampton and even Stoke then the performances at Newcastle haven't been anywhere near good enough.

3pm
29-11-2015, 09:07 AM
Contrary to what you'll read in the media, or from a poster on here, I don't think any Newcastle fan is deluded enough to think that challenging for the title like the 90s is on the cards again. However being relegated and battling relegation every season isn't good enough.

When you look at the consistent performance of the likes of Everton over the last 10-15 years or more recently Southampton and even Stoke then the performances Newcastle haven't been anywhere near good enough.

And they'd appreciate a decent cup run. Recent derby record doesn't help either.

O'Rourke3
29-11-2015, 09:17 AM
At least he doesn't use "divn't dae..."

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2015, 09:46 AM

When you look at the consistent performance of the likes of Everton over the last 10-15 years or more recently Southampton and even Stoke then the performances at Newcastle haven't been anywhere near good enough.

I get that, and i agree. It's a real conundrum for all the teams in that part of the country. They should be doing better, nobody will argue with that, but why are they not doing better?

Every team from the north east is struggling, Ashley can be blamed but he can't be blamed for the state of Sunderland or Hull or even Hartlepool. :greengrin

I forgot about Middlesborough, another club in the 2nd tier of the game, but with a chairman who's not been shy at spending money?

NadeAteMyLunch!
29-11-2015, 10:19 AM
McLaren was a terrible appointment, was never going to work. Their current squad is awful.
They are clearly a big club though. They get over 50,000 fans every week. They were certainly a far bigger club than Man City before they got a sugar daddy and started buying titles

PISTOL1875
29-11-2015, 10:20 AM
So a big club is judged on the trophies they've won? So Nottingham Forest are a big club? Newcastle are a huge club. To get the support they get whilst rubbish is amazing.

Yes but why do they get that support ?? The answer is becasue they are a 1 City team and the nearest Premiership club is 15 miles away..

Would they get the same amount of fans if Newcastle was a city like Liverpool or Manchester ?? I doubt it very much..

PISTOL1875
29-11-2015, 10:23 AM
Utter pish on many levels as usual.

We can't all support a club with an oil rich sugar daddy as a cash cow.

Not pish in the slightest..

It has nothing to do with having a sugar daddy cash cow.. Geordies can't accept that the club is and has been a shambles for years and are always looking for excuses to blame others instead of looking closer to home...

PISTOL1875
29-11-2015, 10:27 AM
McLaren was a terrible appointment, was never going to work. Their current squad is awful.
They are clearly a big club though. They get over 50,000 fans every week. They were certainly a far bigger club than Man City before they got a sugar daddy and started buying titles

This has nothing to do with Man City. City have always had a big support , even through the periods of when they were rubbish which coincided with United's glory days...

J-C
29-11-2015, 10:27 AM
Problem at Newcastle is buying foreign players for cheap and selling for profit, Ashley is using this philosophy to make money for himself rather than the team and it will only end when they get relegated. Like Liverpool they are playing on past history and have been in decline for decades now.

easty
29-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Problem at Newcastle is buying foreign players for cheap and selling for profit, Ashley is using this philosophy to make money for himself rather than the team and it will only end when they get relegated. Like Liverpool they are playing on past history and have been in decline for decades now.

Buying cheap and selling for profit is surely all clubs philosophy?

They bought, not cheaply, in the summer, and sold nobody.

Pretty Boy
29-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Not pish in the slightest..

It has nothing to do with having a sugar daddy cash cow.. Geordies can't accept that the club is and has been a shambles for years and are always looking for excuses to blame others instead of looking closer to home...

I've yet to meet a Newcastle fan, and I meet many a few times a season, who doesn't accept that the club is an utter shambles and doesn't accept the reason for it is entirely the fault of those running the football club.

NadeAteMyLunch!
29-11-2015, 10:42 AM
Yes but why do they get that support ?? The answer is becasue they are a 1 City team and the nearest Premiership club is 15 miles away..

Would they get the same amount of fans if Newcastle was a city like Liverpool or Manchester ?? I doubt it very much..

No they get that support because the fans are ridiculously loyal, nothing to do with being a 1 city team. Aberdeen are the only team from there and their support was less than 7,000 when they were struggling a few seasons ago. Our attendances haven't dropped because we share a city with Hearts, they have dropped due to years of crap. Newcastle fans deserve credit for staying loyal. There's plenty other things the fans could be doing on a Sat afternoon, regardless of whether there is another team from their town or not

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Not sure that the one team town scenario is a credible argument. Even a one team town has two options , one of which is not to go at all .

Pretty Boy
29-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Not sure that the one team town scenario is a credible argument. Even a one team town has two options , one of which is not to go at all .

It's worth remembering as well that the city of Newcastle itself is comparble popularion wise to Aberdeen yet they get crowds 3 times the size and then some.

Newcastle draw support from the wider Tyneside and Wearaide area where there is competition from Sunderland, Middlesborough and various other sporting options.

As BH has said above it can't be coincedce all those sides are toiling/underperforming. Maybe it is because attracting top players to NE England is harder than London and even cities like Manchester and Liverpool.

J-C
29-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Buying cheap and selling for profit is surely all clubs philosophy?

They bought, not cheaply, in the summer, and sold nobody.

Season 08-14 they made a profit of £45M, that 45 million has been spent this year with only 2 players starting yesterday, Mbemba(defender) and Wijnadum(midfielder).

Not all clubs have that philosophy, especially if you want to be one of the big guys in any league, also signing a poor manager like McLaren doesn't help.

Haymaker
29-11-2015, 12:59 PM
I used to live with 3 Geordies (probably explains my irrational hatred of the mackems) and all they wanted was Newcastle to be competitive. No delusion at all, no big team baws, just wanted their team to do well.

jgl07
29-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Utter crap.

Newcastle do not get over 50,000 every week. They have averaged over 50,000 for the past two or three years but averages have been below 50,000 for several season. When Newcastle were a fixture in the old Division Two they were averaging between 16,000 and 22,000 prior to the arrival of Kevin Keegan as manager. City were getting capacity crowds (home end) of 30,000 at both second and third tiers in the late 1990s.

Newcastle haven't won the League Championship since 1927 and the FA Cup since 1955. City won both competitions twice since Newcastle before the investment from Abu Dhabi. City also won the League Cup twice before the investment. Newcastle have never the League Cup. Their only final was losing to City in 1976.

I don't think that Newcastle can ever become a really big club because of their location. Kevin Keegan had real problems attracting the top players to Newcastle when he was managing them in the 1990s. It was no accident that Abu Dhabi United Group bought City. They could have purchased Liverpool (for sale at the time) or Newcastle (Mike Ashley would have snapped their hand off), but opted for City and appear to have been proven right.

jacomo
29-11-2015, 05:52 PM
Utter crap.

Newcastle do not get over 50,000 every week. They have averaged over 50,000 for the past two or three years but averages have been below 50,000 for several season. When Newcastle were a fixture in the old Division Two they were averaging between 16,000 and 22,000 prior to the arrival of Kevin Keegan as manager. City were getting capacity crowds (home end) of 30,000 at both second and third tiers in the late 1990s.

Newcastle haven't won the League Championship since 1927 and the FA Cup since 1955. City won both competitions twice since Newcastle before the investment from Abu Dhabi. City also won the League Cup twice before the investment. Newcastle have never the League Cup. Their only final was losing to City in 1976.

I don't think that Newcastle can ever become a really big club because of their location. Kevin Keegan had real problems attracting the top players to Newcastle when he was managing them in the 1990s. It was no accident that Abu Dhabi United Group bought City. They could have purchased Liverpool (for sale at the time) or Newcastle (Mike Ashley would have snapped their hand off), but opted for City and appear to have been proven right.

Is this a long-winded way of saying Newcastle draw a bigger crowd than City?

:wink:

(((Fergus)))
29-11-2015, 05:57 PM

He's just going through the motions as usual, working the soundbites, waiting for the compo.

erin go bragh
29-11-2015, 07:46 PM
This has nothing to do with Man City. City have always had a big support , even through the periods of when they were rubbish which coincided with United's glory days...

Yes . I remember City being in the third tier ( old 2nd div ) and getting 30 thousand plus gates .
GGTTH

col02
29-11-2015, 08:03 PM
I've been to about a dozen Newcastle matches at St James Park this past calendar year and I genuinely thought there was signs of improvement in the team this season but they've gone backwards again. There is a serious problem in defence as Collocini is the weak point, midfield is OK but apart from Winaldum(so) they lack a goal threat and up front Mitrovic looks like he is struggling to adapt to the Epl. I think the job is tailor made for Moyes. Make them hard to beat again rather than soft touches.

Scouse Hibee
29-11-2015, 08:06 PM

Okay I'll bite :faf::faf::faf::rotflmao:

Scouse Hibee
29-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Utter crap.

Surely you are not suggesting that Newcastle would not have been able to attract the top players that city have had they been bankrolled by the same group? The players would play in Carlisle if that's where the mega bucks where so let's not kid ourselves that location makes the difference when the really big money is there.

J-C
29-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Okay I'll bite :faf::faf::faf::rotflmao:

My opinion mate nothing personal.

Haven't won league in 25 years, yes they won a few league and FA cups but for a club their size and past history in the 70's/early 80's they should be top 4 year in, year out. I was a big fan back in the days of Dalglish and co. and loved watching them play the way they did but they shouldn't be where they are/where, hopefully Klopp gets them back to where they deserve.

Haymaker
29-11-2015, 08:53 PM
[/B]Surely you are not suggesting that Newcastle would not have been able to attract the top players that city have had they been bankrolled by the same group? The players would play in Carlisle if that's where the mega bucks where so let's not kid ourselves that location makes the difference when the really big money is there.

If you pay them, they will come.

Pete
29-11-2015, 09:00 PM
My opinion mate nothing personal.

Haven't won league in 25 years, yes they won a few league and FA cups but for a club their size and past history in the 70's/early 80's they should be top 4 year in, year out. I was a big fan back in the days of Dalglish and co. and loved watching them play the way they did but they shouldn't be where they are/where, hopefully Klopp gets them back to where they deserve.

Agree with what you say apart from the last bit. Liverpool certainly don't really "deserve" to be successful and you generally get what you are due in football.

They've either been mismanaged or out-spent at various points long the line meaning other clubs have surpassed them.

NadeAteMyLunch!
29-11-2015, 09:02 PM
If you pay them, they will come.

Agreed. Look at some of the players that agreed to come and live in Glasgow and play In the SPL when Rangers were flinging their EBT's around.

Pete
29-11-2015, 09:04 PM
[/B]Surely you are not suggesting that Newcastle would not have been able to attract the top players that city have had they been bankrolled by the same group? The players would play in Carlisle if that's where the mega bucks where so let's not kid ourselves that location makes the difference when the really big money is there.

I think it only makes a difference if there are two mega rich clubs bidding for the same player. The pull of London is hard to resist for a lot of people and you can enjoy an exceptional lifestyle if you can afford it (which these people certainly can).