PDA

View Full Version : 1993 League Cup Final @ Parkhead

Golden Bear
28-11-2015, 11:32 AM
I came across a 24 page Evening News supplement which was issued prior to the 1993 League Cup Final against Rangers. The match was played at Parkhead against the Huns who won the game 2-1. The Rangers goals were scored by Durrant & McCoist while big Dave Mcpherson was good enough to score an own goal for our only counter.

In the semi Final, we beat Dundee United 1-0 at Tynecastle in front of an attendance of 19,024.Darren Jackson scored the goal.

Douglas Cromb, the then Hibs Chairman issued the following statement:-

"Hibs may never be the biggest Club in Scotland, but there is no reason why we can't be the top team in the land. It will not happen overnight, but it is something we can build towards as a club with our Manager, players and the full backing of the supporters. A sign we are on the right course is we are back in another final within two years and playing some marvellous football. However we are not complacent.

We have come along way and realise there is still far too go. In 1991, we brought back the first major trophy to Edinburgh in almost 20 years, restoring some football pride in the Capital since Hibs last won the League Cup in 1972. The new Hibs Board, formed only a few months earlier, was totally committed to ensuring this would not be a one off event.

Meanwhile our supporters can be assured that success on the park will breed further success as every penny raised at this Club will be ploughed back into strengthening the team. Our thanks then to Alex Miller, the players and our support as another big day dawns for Hibernian FC"

I have absolutely no idea why I kept the Evening News supplement (especially when we got beat in the Final) but it's worrying that I've scant memories of the Final, or even why it was played at Parkhead. However there are similarities then when compared with today's situation ( new Board, semi Final at Tynie, fresh wave of optimism). The Evening News supplement has brightened up a dreich, football void Saturday!

Steve-O
28-11-2015, 11:35 AM
Hampden was getting redeveloped at the time.

lord bunberry
28-11-2015, 11:43 AM
When we equalised that day it was the best goal celebration I've ever been involved in, I was near the back and by the time we'd finished celebrating I was down the front. I remember us having a really good chance just after we scored, if that had gone in it would have been bedlam.

jgl07
28-11-2015, 11:48 AM
When we equalised that day it was the best goal celebration I've ever been involved in, I was near the back and by the time we'd finished celebrating I was down the front. I remember us having a really good chance just after we scored, if that had gone in it would have been bedlam.
Was that not an own goal by Donkey McPherson?

bingo70
28-11-2015, 11:50 AM
I remember the terracing behind the goal feeling ridiculously over crowded.

That might just have been because I was quite a young laddie to be fair but that's my over riding memory of that game.

Treadstone
28-11-2015, 11:52 AM

I'm sure it was missed by an unfit Darren Jackson. Faced across goal and failed to make contact on the slide. Rangers were reeling at that stage of the game.

matty_f
28-11-2015, 11:53 AM

That might just have been because I was quite a young laddie to be fair but that's my over riding memory of that game.

It was definitely packed. I'm sure I was in there as well (I would only have been 15 or just turned 16 depending on when it was played). The celebration when Donkey scored the og was mental. I thought we had a great chance to win it that year, only to see fat Sally come off the bench after being injured for ages - think everyone knew what was coming from that point!

lord bunberry
28-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Was that not an own goal by Donkey McPherson?
It was.

lord bunberry
28-11-2015, 11:57 AM
I'm sure it was missed by an unfit Darren Jackson. Faced across goal and failed to make contact on the slide. Rangers were reeling at that stage of the game.
You might be right, I can't remember.

matty_f
28-11-2015, 11:59 AM
You might be right, I can't remember.

Think we were denied a penalty as well, Keith Wright brought down by their keeper (might have been Ally Maxwell?). Can't remember if it was a stonewaller or a dive, to be honest!

iwasthere1972
28-11-2015, 12:00 PM
I came across a 24 page Evening News supplement which was issued prior to the 1993 League Cup Final against Rangers. The match was played at Parkhead against the Huns who won the game 2-1. The Rangers goals were scored by Durrant & McCoist while big Dave Mcpherson was good enough to score an own goal for our only counter.

In the semi Final, we beat Dundee United 1-0 at Tynecastle in front of an attendance of 19,024.Darren Jackson scored the goal.

Douglas Cromb, the then Hibs Chairman issued the following statement:-

"Hibs may never be the biggest Club in Scotland, but there is no reason why we can't be the top team in the land. It will not happen overnight, but it is something we can build towards as a club with our Manager, players and the full backing of the supporters. A sign we are on the right course is we are back in another final within two years and playing some marvellous football. However we are not complacent.

We have come along way and realise there is still far too go. In 1991, we brought back the first major trophy to Edinburgh in almost 20 years, restoring some football pride in the Capital since Hibs last won the League Cup in 1972. The new Hibs Board, formed only a few months earlier, was totally committed to ensuring this would not be a one off event.

Meanwhile our supporters can be assured that success on the park will breed further success as every penny raised at this Club will be ploughed back into strengthening the team. Our thanks then to Alex Miller, the players and our support as another big day dawns for Hibernian FC"

I have absolutely no idea why I kept the Evening News supplement (especially when we got beat in the Final) but it's worrying that I've scant memories of the Final, or even why it was played at Parkhead. However there are similarities then when compared with today's situation ( new Board, semi Final at Tynie, fresh wave of optimism). The Evening News supplement has brightened up a dreich, football void Saturday!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1iLU4E1iXPA

iwasthere1972
28-11-2015, 12:01 PM
Think we were denied a penalty as well, Keith Wright brought down by their keeper (might have been Ally Maxwell?). Can't remember if it was a stonewaller or a dive, to be honest!

Looked like a dive in the video on previous post. Got a yellow card for it.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Overhead kick by McCoist IIRC.

lord bunberry
28-11-2015, 12:02 PM
I also remember at half time there was a band walking round the touch line in front of the fans playing music, when they were passing the Rangers fans they played the sash, when they got to the Hibs fans they started playing glory to the Hibees, but the damage was already done and they got pelted with pies. It's mental to think that it was acceptable for them to play the sash in those days.

Pretty Boy
28-11-2015, 12:07 PM

Think your right, I was 6 at the time and can remember being quite afraid of how crowded it was.

If memory serves me right we were unlucky that day, played really well although McCoists, overhead kick, winner was almost a certaintity to happen as soon as he came off the bench.

Treadstone
28-11-2015, 12:14 PM
Think your right, I was 6 at the time and can remember being quite afraid of how crowded it was.

If memory serves me right we were unlucky that day, played really well although McCoists, overhead kick, winner was almost a certaintity to happen as soon as he came off the bench.

Always remember my mate saying when he came on "watch this he writes his own scripts".

Glesgahibby
28-11-2015, 12:24 PM

I was sure the ball was going in the net.
Just had to make contact.
I was screaming for high boot when Sally scored🙁

Glory Lurker
28-11-2015, 12:30 PM

A cross that was just in front of Jackson?

I felt we were always on the back foot in that game, and of course McCoist did a McCoist..... :rolleyes:

Conrad Gray
28-11-2015, 12:43 PM
I also remember at half time there was a band walking round the touch line in front of the fans playing music, when they were passing the Rangers fans they played the sash, when they got to the Hibs fans they started playing glory to the Hibees, but the damage was already done and they got pelted with pies. It's mental to think that it was acceptable for them to play the sash in those days.

I remember the pies, coins etc falling like rain and until they either stopped or altered course.

There was also a Rangers fan being stretchered out that was giving the hibs end abuse until he was unceremoniously tipped off the stretcher by the first aid staff due to the pelters they were taking.

McCoist's goal was like something from Roy of the rovers (unfortunately)

Bostonhibby
28-11-2015, 12:50 PM

Yep, remember it well, unacceptable. Unbelievable to me still, but we had two spare tickets for this one and at the last minute the barman from our local who was a celtc fan came along with us, normally okay but had too much to drink and made an effort to get on the pitch when the throwbacks were playing their simple tunes - he got nicked and we had to take his kid back on the bus without him.

BS44
28-11-2015, 12:51 PM

It was a cross to the back post, McGregor their defender just beat Jackson to it and headed it out from almost directly under the bar. (I think)

lord bunberry
28-11-2015, 01:02 PM
Yep, remember it well, unacceptable. Unbelievable to me still, but we had two spare tickets for this one and at the last minute the barman from our local who was a celtc fan came along with us, normally okay but had too much to drink and made an effort to get on the pitch when the throwbacks were playing their simple tunes - he got nicked and we had to take his kid back on the bus without him.
I'd have loved to have heard the discussion about half time entertainment. "What we'll do is get a band to play the sash" :crazy:

Bostonhibby
28-11-2015, 01:11 PM
I'd have loved to have heard the discussion about half time entertainment. "What we'll do is get a band to play the sash" :crazy:

Some GFA blazer genuinely thought it was a good idea. Bonkers

oneone73
28-11-2015, 02:28 PM
Some GFA blazer genuinely thought it was a good idea. Bonkers

My Dad had his first heart attack at that game. He had two more in the next four years -once at Tynie and once just after a home game v Partick Thistle
Refused to watch us at all after that, even on the telly.

3pm
28-11-2015, 02:34 PM
Gary Stevens headed one away fae right under the bar at 1-1. McAllister put in a cracking cross and Jackson was tearing in. Jackson also slid at one at the back post as well if I remember right, missed contact by inches.

GreenLake
28-11-2015, 02:54 PM
I remember the pies, coins etc falling like rain and until they either stopped or altered course.

There was also a Rangers fan being stretchered out that was giving the hibs end abuse until he was unceremoniously tipped off the stretcher by the first aid staff due to the pelters they were taking.

McCoist's goal was like something from Roy of the rovers (unfortunately)

We watched the overhead kick (it was at the other end) as though it was in slow motion. A sickening but admirable goal.

NAE NOOKIE
28-11-2015, 02:58 PM
Like everybody else who was there that day my abiding memory is of how crammed in we were and our equaliser, it was something close to mass hysteria behind the goals when we scored, its a wonder nobody got hurt.

When McCoist scored I had my eyes shut, as I often did at certain games when the ball was coming into our box, so I never seen the goal and to this day still haven't. I've missed some great saves too mind :greengrin

Silversand
28-11-2015, 03:39 PM
I remember after we scored that a few rows of people collapsed (was all standing) and there was a feeling of being trapped underneath. I managed to free myself and me & my brother dragged my dad, who was 58-ish, out from a under a body or 2. Was all a bit scarey at the time.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

O'Rourke3
28-11-2015, 03:49 PM

Was talking about this to a Falkirk supporter colleague this week. Can't quite remember the run in but the 3-4 semi came up. The equaliser not the winner was the one that was the most mental - and came close to the mayhem when this one went in. I was at the back of the terrace and ended up near the front in about 6 seconds.....

Pretty Boy
28-11-2015, 04:03 PM
I can't remember but did Hibs only have that one area of the terrace as our entire allocation? Or did we have part of the main stand for seating as well?

Mr White
28-11-2015, 04:08 PM
I can't remember but did Hibs only have that one area of the terrace as our entire allocation? Or did we have part of the main stand for seating as well?

We definitely had the section of the main stand closest to the terracing allocation as that's where we were, right down next to the corner flag. Rob Mclean came and stood in front of us in injury time, blocking the view, getting ready to do some interviews after full time. Got a load of abuse and told to move out the way.

Glesgahibby
28-11-2015, 04:08 PM
Was talking about this to a Falkirk supporter colleague this week. Can't quite remember the run in but the 3-4 semi came up. The equaliser not the winner was the one that was the most mental - and came close to the mayhem when this one went in. I was at the back of the terrace and ended up near the front in about 6 seconds.....

Same here,I was making my way down the stairs when Doyle picked the ball up.stoped,ball in the net and the next thing I know I'm down the bottom in a mosh pit 😀 Fantastic

Pretty Boy
28-11-2015, 04:40 PM
Same here,I was making my way down the stairs when Doyle picked the ball up.stoped,ball in the net and the next thing I know I'm down the bottom in a mosh pit 😀 Fantastic

I came running out the bog with my belt and top button on my jeans still undone after hearing the roar. The concourse was pandemonium. Dozens of guys in similar siutations to me all jumping about mad, hugging each other and screaming away. Brilliant.

Bishop Hibee
28-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Pretty sure McCoist was injured for most of that season but managed a wonder goal v us. Erse. Richard Gough got dogs abuse that game.

We had half the main stand and the whole away end right round to the jungle. Parkhead was a dive back then.

Keith_M
28-11-2015, 04:53 PM
The half-time Band didn't play The Sash, that's an urban myth that has almost become accepted as fact.

They were a marching band that, to many of us in the Hibs end, were far too similar to the Orange/Republican flute bands. They marched round the pitch playing their tunes and stopped in front of the Rangers support and the guy banged his drum with the Rangers Fans shouting 'Rangers' at the end (in the same way as every football fan does, but with a drum instead of clapping)

When they then tried the exact same thing with the Hibs Support, they (undeservedly) got abuse.

Golden Bear
28-11-2015, 04:59 PM
The half-time Band didn't play The Sash, that's an urban myth that has almost become accepted as fact.

They were a marching band that, to many of us in the Hibs end, were far too similar to the Orange/Republican flute bands. They marched round the pitch playing their tunes and stopped in front of the Rangers support and the guy banged his drum with the Rangers Fans shouting 'Rangers' at the end (in the same way as every football fan does, but with a drum instead of clapping)

When they then tried the exact same thing with the Hibs Support, they (undeservedly) got abuse.

I think you're right, it's one of the few things I do remember about that day. I can only presume that I enjoyed the pre match beverages too much.

Peevemor
28-11-2015, 07:07 PM

It was a crowd called MacUmba (basically some members of a wee pipe band in Glasgow who did a carnival style thing on the side) and they definitely didn't play the sash. When the Hibs support seen the drummers dancing around and then playing to the Huns end, many decided they were some sort of FTP set up. . As you say, they tried to do the same at the Hibs end but too many minds had been made up.

As for the penalty incident, Keith Wright was booked for diving. On the TV it looked like a dive from the main camera angle, but the replay from the other side showed clearly that he was caught by the keeper's legs. He had no reason to dive as he was clean through on an open goal.

It was probably about the roughest I've ever felt at a match, having been at a heavy duty stag do the night before.

bod
28-11-2015, 07:27 PM
Diving wasnt invented back then,stone waller shirley

Jumbo
28-11-2015, 08:47 PM
I believe it was the last Scottish final played with fans standing on terracing, do remember it being pretty wild when we equalised

Golden Bear
28-11-2015, 09:02 PM
I believe it was the last Scottish final played with fans standing on terracing, do remember it being pretty wild when we equalised

Ah, yet another claim to fame!

Skol
28-11-2015, 09:25 PM
The bus I was due to be on was leaving early doors. Seats were booked by a rather sketchy mate of the time from a pub none of us had frequented. The bus didnt show a a busload of us were milling the streets. Cant quite recall how, but a bus was located and we got to some Jakey Celtic club in time to consume 6 swift pints and learns some local rumours about Ricahtd Gough which turned into a song.

The game itself was interrupted by frequent toilet visits as my bladder didnt like having six pints put in there in record time.

I have bno recolection of the half time band - probably at the toilet.

Penalty incident was at the far end so was hard to tell, but it was highly unusal then to be booked for diving. The scenes when donkey Dave equalised were unbelievable.

When McCoist wascoming on you just knew that he was going to score the winner...sadly it was probably the best goal he would ever score.

We shouldve won that day...from what I saw or remember seeing

jgl07
28-11-2015, 09:28 PM
We definitely had the section of the main stand closest to the terracing allocation as that's where we were, right down next to the corner flag. Rob Mclean came and stood in front of us in injury time, blocking the view, getting ready to do some interviews after full time. Got a load of abuse and told to move out the way.
I was sat with my son in the main stand. Hibs gave away vouchers at two home games - Raith Rovers and Dundee United(?) - and you could get one standing ticket per voucher or one seat per two vouchers. My son was 11 at the time and he wouldn't have seen a thing from the Terraces. So I got two seats with our four vouchers. I was queuing up all day from about 10:00 till 18:30 to get the tickets. The ticket office staff knocked off at 17:30 and the directors took over selling tickets. Dougie Cromb in my case!

Mr White
28-11-2015, 09:35 PM
I was sat with my son in the main stand. Hibs gave away vouchers at two home games - Raith Rovers and Dundee United(?) - and you could get one standing ticket per voucher or one seat per two vouchers. My son was 11 at the time and he wouldn't have seen a thing from the Terraces. So I got two seats with our four vouchers. I was queuing up all day from about 10:00 till 18:30 to get the tickets. The ticket office staff knocked off at 17:30 and the directors took over selling tickets. Dougie Cromb in my case!

Dougie cromb was involved in our tickets too. I was 13 and it was the first season in 4 that we didn't have seasons as I couldn't make Saturday games due to playing u14 games on Saturday afternoons. My dad wrote to mr cromb asking if there was any way we could get tickets as we thought we'd missed out. We received 2 tickets in reply with a letter from the chairman just asking that we go into the club shop to pay for them and keep it quiet how we'd got tickets. 20 years on it feels ok to spill the beans. Douglas Cromb, Hibernian legend.

Greenblood70
28-11-2015, 09:44 PM

Thats my (all be it hazy) memory of it as well, remember boys jumping over the fences and being chased by stewards when the band got to the Hibs end. It certainly livened up half time, was pretty funny at the time. These days there would be a full scale enquiry with front page headlines but it barely warranted a mention in the media as far as Im aware. Changed days.

Golden Bear
28-11-2015, 09:45 PM
Dougie cromb was involved in our tickets too. I was 13 and it was the first yseason in 4 that we didn't have seasons as I couldn't make Saturday games due to playing u14 games on Saturday afternoons. My dad wrote to mr cromb asking if there was any way we could get tickets as we thought we'd missed out. We received 2 tickets in reply with a letter from the chairman just asking that we go into the club shop to pay for them and keep it quiet how we'd got tickets. 20 years on it feels ok to spill the beans. Douglas Cromb, Hibernian legend.

He always came across as being a very genuine guy.

Peevemor
28-11-2015, 10:23 PM

The thing is, those with vouchers didn't have to queue - you could get your ticket(s) by post. However almost nobody, myself included, trusted neither the Royal Mail nor Hibs administrative abilities - thus the mile long queue.

I remember Dougie Cromb & Kenny McLean snr. came out and spent about an hour telling the people waiting that if they had vouchers they didn't have to queue, as well as simply having a natter with the fans. I think that meant a lot to those that were there.

JimBHibees
28-11-2015, 10:38 PM
The main chance we had at 1 1 was a corner which broke to Gordon Hunter and he put it over the bar.

EskbankHibby
28-11-2015, 10:43 PM
Jackson's winner in the semi was absolute bedlam.

Didn't get to the final but my dad did, lost himself in a scrum of bodies at the equaliser, chaos apparently, ended up about 20 yards away from his pals. Sally with the overhead against Leighton iirc.

Ronniekirk
28-11-2015, 10:46 PM

Took my three year old son to that game and nearly lost him on several occasions as it was overcrowded in bits

Golden Bear
28-11-2015, 10:50 PM
Took my three year old son to that game and nearly lost him on several occasions as it was overcrowded in bits

Sheesht or expect a phone call frae social services!!

StevieBoyKdy
29-11-2015, 12:30 AM
This is my first memory of watching Hibs on tv. Would have been about six at the time. Went bonkers when we equalised I recall and so upset when fat Sally struck the winner.

jgl07
29-11-2015, 01:34 AM
The thing is, those with vouchers didn't have to queue - you could get your ticket(s) by post. However almost nobody, myself included, trusted neither the Royal Mail nor Hibs administrative abilities - thus the mile long queue.

I remember Dougie Cromb & Kenny McLean snr. came out and spent about an hour telling the people waiting that if they had vouchers they didn't have to queue, as well as simply having a natter with the fans. I think that meant a lot to those that were there.
I remember going in the morning and being horrified by the length of the queue. It started in the former ticket office on Easter Road and stretched up Albion Road almost back to the stadium. We had been there so long that we all seemed to know each other. One women went back home to make tea for her children and came back an hour or so later and resumed her place in the queue.

Yes the directors did come along the queue late in the afternoon saying that if we put out vouchers in the post we would be guaranteed tickets. I had little confidence in those assurances and having been queuing for six hours decided to see it out. The extremely slow pace of transactions in the ticket office did not exactly inspire confidence in their ability to deliver. Had the ticket office shut when the staff knocked off, there would have been a riot.

Fair play to Dougie Cromb and others for engaging with those queuing and taking over in the ticket office.

erin go bragh
29-11-2015, 08:09 PM
Pretty sure McCoist was injured for most of that season but managed a wonder goal v us. Erse. Richard Gough got dogs abuse that game.

We had half the main stand and the whole away end right round to the jungle. Parkhead was a dive back then.

That was his first bit of action after breaking his leg playing for Scotland .
It was mental when the giraffe headed in our goal . Was brilliant celebrating a goal on the terraces back in the day .

GGTTH

Ronster117
29-11-2015, 08:28 PM
I remember saying to my mate, who by the way was a blue nose...... That Sally could overhead kick another 100 times and never score that goal again....he replied aye yer right but wot a goal.

jgl07
29-11-2015, 10:40 PM
It was a crowd called MacUmba (basically some members of a wee pipe band in Glasgow who did a carnival style thing on the side) and they definitely didn't play the sash. When the Hibs support seen the drummers dancing around and then playing to the Huns end, many decided they were some sort of FTP set up. . As you say, they tried to do the same at the Hibs end but too many minds had been made up.

It was the swaggering style of the drum major that reminded some of an Orange band.

A member of the band, who was a Hibs supporter, posted on hibs-list at the time denying that the bad were pro-Rangers in any way.

I never saw any problem with them.

s.a.m
29-11-2015, 10:47 PM
It was the swaggering style of the drum major that reminded some of an Orange band.

A member of the band, who was a Hibs supporter, posted on hibs-list at the time denying that the bad were pro-Rangers in any way.

I never saw any problem with them.

I remember that, and I remember him sounding quite distressed that it had been interpreted that way.:agree:

Steve-O
30-11-2015, 09:27 AM
I remember being down the very front just to the right of centre. Wasn't that crowded down there (looks packed on the video on this thread mind!) but was a fairly horrendous view! Can still picture McCoist's goal though 😪

gav71
30-11-2015, 11:22 AM
It was definitely packed. I'm sure I was in there as well (I would only have been 15 or just turned 16 depending on when it was played). The celebration when Donkey scored the og was mental. I thought we had a great chance to win it that year, only to see fat Sally come off the bench after being injured for ages - think everyone knew what was coming from that point! the game was played in October 91 not sure of the actual date though when we won the cup in 2007 I also had a wee laddie in the March of the year

Mr White
30-11-2015, 12:28 PM
the game was played in October 91 not sure of the actual date though when we won the cup in 2007 I also had a wee laddie in the March of the year

It was october 24th 1993.

Super_JMcGinn
30-11-2015, 01:37 PM

I remember being in the main stand too, right at the front with my dad and brother, he took us there for much the same reason, I still remember it being a terrible vantage point, I can't remember why though :confused:

IWasThere2016
30-11-2015, 02:39 PM
The main chance we had at 1 1 was a corner which broke to Gordon Hunter and he put it over the bar.

We were the better side that day, and had the better chances. We should have won.

Eyrie
30-11-2015, 07:42 PM
the game was played in October 91 not sure of the actual date though when we won the cup in 2007 I also had a wee laddie in the March of the year

27 October 1991 was when we won the League Cup, as opposed to the loss in 1993.

Jim44
01-12-2015, 01:25 AM
I had my 13 year old son with me and I remember the crowd swaying up and down the terracing. I was panicking as he was was getting quite distressed. I'm amazed that there weren't serious crowd injuries that day.

WHAM
01-12-2015, 01:39 PM
I was only 6 at the time but can remember how packed the terracing was.

I was sitting on top of a crush barrier getting held by my old man when Hibs scored. He ended up letting go of me going mental and bounced about 20-30 yards away. I ended up being sent flying and landed on the floor with the pandemonium going on above me.

Those were the days.

hibs0666
01-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Was in the centre stand that day after a severe session in the Clyde supporters club.

I was dressed head to toe in green which stood out amongst a tad. If that wasn't enough I was giving it laldy, but lived to tell the tale.

southsider
01-12-2015, 02:46 PM
We were the better side that day, and had the better chances. We should have won.

My faither went into the bookies the next day and asked for a bet on Fat Sally dying in the next year. Why, he was asked "Coz the b****rds used up all his luck".