PDA

View Full Version : NHC And the small minded pettiness continues,,,,

speedy_gonzales
26-11-2015, 05:47 PM
Just heard tonight that Celtic are installing a new statue outside Parkhead, apparently it's for Billy McNeil (I'm surprised with that as he's not deid yet) and the installation will be lit up with colour changing lighting. Every colour that is except blue.
Can you imagine sitting in a meeting as a client opposite a consultancy outfit. You represent a large employer, a leader in your field, a self professed bastion of equality & fairness. How embarrassed must you feel or how confused must the contractor be when you specify EVERY & ANY colour except blue?
I'm well aware most sporting institutions have their rivals, we are no different, but I'd expect Hibs to avoid the awkward pettiness by specifying a white or even green light,,,,not anything but maroon?

Ozyhibby
26-11-2015, 05:52 PM
? That seems perfectly reasonable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kojock
26-11-2015, 05:52 PM
If John (Bomber) Brown refuses to eat green jelly then surely Celtc can refuse to use a blue light.

hibsbollah
26-11-2015, 05:54 PM
I avoid maroon like the plague. I had a great Sony Erickson phone once but just never warmed to it because of the maroon trim. Maroon clothing? Not one item. And a car? Not in a million years.

Small minded pettiness is very underrated :aok:

GGTTH07
26-11-2015, 05:57 PM
I can also say I'm quite petty, anything maroon ain't for me

R'Albin
26-11-2015, 06:01 PM
If there's ever a statue erected for me there better not be any maroon on it.

3pm
26-11-2015, 06:11 PM
Maroon is an abysmal colour.

ArmadaleHibs
26-11-2015, 06:15 PM
Maroon is not only a horrid colour but an ugly word too. It's not a colour that I let pass the threshold of my house.

cabbageandribs1875
26-11-2015, 06:15 PM
Maroon is a durty durty colour...and so is the orrible burgundy on our national football team kit, Maroon is a colour you use to hide any dirt...fact

Greencore
26-11-2015, 06:21 PM
I feel dirty when sitting on a maroon Lothian bus... **** colour.

johnbc70
26-11-2015, 06:23 PM
Refuse to have any kind of maroon in the house. The wife once brought back a winter coat for my daughter, it was maroon so was sent straight back.

Alex Trager
26-11-2015, 06:26 PM
My misses was entertaining buying maroon for her auld man.

She was swiftly made aware of the consequences and we moved on

SanFranHibs
26-11-2015, 06:49 PM
Just heard tonight that Celtic are installing a new statue outside Parkhead, apparently it's for Billy McNeil (I'm surprised with that as he's not deid yet) and the installation will be lit up with colour changing lighting. Every colour that is except blue.
Can you imagine sitting in a meeting as a client opposite a consultancy outfit. You represent a large employer, a leader in your field, a self professed bastion of equality & fairness. How embarrassed must you feel or how confused must the contractor be when you specify EVERY & ANY colour except blue?
I'm well aware most sporting institutions have their rivals, we are no different, but I'd expect Hibs to avoid the awkward pettiness by specifying a white or even green light,,,,not anything but maroon?

Of course not anything but maroon.........anything but maroon and orange !!!!

:flag:

1van Sprou7e
26-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Maroon's actually a pretty nice colour IMO, although it doesn't really suit me so I don't have many maroon items if any (I also probably subconciously avoid maroon things)

I must say though, must be ***** being a Hearts fan and having to pretend you don't like green. I mean come on basically all plant life on this planet is green, it's one of the few objectively pleasant colours

Sir David Gray
26-11-2015, 06:56 PM
Don't see a problem with that to be honest.

I would need to be paid to wear anything maroon.

hibs0666
26-11-2015, 07:02 PM
Maroon is the colour of disease and excrement.

#FromTheCapital
26-11-2015, 07:08 PM
Nothing to do with hearts (well maybe a little actually) but maroon genuinely is a horrible colour. Even the word maroon is awful.

Regarding the Celtic thing, don't see any problem with it myself.

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2015, 07:10 PM
I think any grown man put off wearing a colour because of a rival football team is hilarious.

Ozyhibby
26-11-2015, 07:12 PM
I bet that at least 50% of posters on here have only ever had green toothbrushes. I'm one of them.

silverhibee
26-11-2015, 07:14 PM
I feel dirty when sitting on a maroon Lothian bus... **** colour.

I refuse to use them.

speedy_gonzales
26-11-2015, 07:14 PM
I think any grown man put off wearing a colour because of a rival football team is hilarious.

Phew, not just me then!

3pm
26-11-2015, 07:15 PM

Guilty.

Ozyhibby
26-11-2015, 07:17 PM

I had a maroon 'Y' cardigan at school but since then I have never let my standards drop. Happy to be a sad small minded man. [emoji3]

iwasthere1972
26-11-2015, 07:18 PM
Hope I never get marooned on an island. That would be murder.

greenlex
26-11-2015, 07:25 PM
Won a prize at a golf outing . As the winners were called up to get their prizes it was a just pick something of a table you fancied from the display of prizes. By the time I got there there was a packet of tees or a maroon cashmere sweater. No dilemma whatsoever and the tees were mine.

3pm
26-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Won a prize at a golf outing . As the winners were called up to get their prizes it was a just pick something of a table you fancied from the display if prizes. By the time I hit there there was a packet of tees or a maroon cashmere sweater. No dilemma whatsoever and the tees were mine.

I had a good laugh at that!

bigwheel
26-11-2015, 07:26 PM

so true...life is too short for that....

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2015, 07:45 PM
This is up there with refusing to have green cloth on the snooker table and changing the green ball for an orange one.

green day
26-11-2015, 07:48 PM
I bet that at least 50% of posters on here have only ever had green toothbrushes. I'm one of them.

Me too!

cmcd
26-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Phew, not just me then!

Or me

jaf
26-11-2015, 08:01 PM
I once bought a three wood with quite a fancy coloured shaft on it, red I was told. When it arrived it was clearly maroon, hit one snap hook with it up the 4th hole and that was the end of it, back on ebay!

Alfred E Newman
26-11-2015, 08:01 PM
My dad was a Gala man and a keen rugby follower so I was brought up watching and supporting Gala . Their deadliest rivals Hawick play in green, so as you can imagine, colour doesn't really matter to me, it's who's wearing the jerseys and what the club is all about that is important. That said, there can be no better looking strip that our traditional emerald green with white sleeves. Simply the best.

Golden Bear
26-11-2015, 08:15 PM
My dad was a Gala man and a keen rugby follower so I was brought up watching and supporting Gala . Their deadliest rivals Hawick play in green, so as you can imagine, colour doesn't really matter to me, it's who's wearing the jerseys and what the cluub is all about that is important. That said, there can be no better looking strip that our traditional emerald green with white sleeves. Simply the best.

Mind you I was never very keen on that works van, you must have got that at a knock down price!!

Pete
26-11-2015, 08:19 PM
I always make a point of flicking the V's or giving the finger whenever I'm driving past Tynecastle. That's about it.

Onceinawhile
26-11-2015, 08:22 PM
Having been brought up supporting Scotland's premier junior football team -Linlithgow rose - along side Hibs, it's difficult to get away from wearing Maroon. But thankfully I'm an adult so it's not a problem.

sahib
26-11-2015, 08:24 PM
? That seems perfectly reasonable?

ditto

hibsbollah
26-11-2015, 08:25 PM
I always make a point of flicking the V's or giving the finger whenever I'm driving past Tynecastle. That's about it.

:faf: I thought that was just me

Scott Allan Key
26-11-2015, 08:48 PM
I don't know what the fuss is all about. I decked out one of my rooms in maroon.

My toilet. It is where I go when I need a s****.

Andy74
26-11-2015, 08:49 PM

I don't see much wrong with an official statue not being lit in the colours of a rival.

Enjoying seeing your rival get beat in any game is small minded and petty but it's pretty normal. It is sport and rivalry is fine.

Scott Allan Key
26-11-2015, 08:51 PM
I don't see much wrong with an official statue not being lit in the colours of a rival.

Enjoying seeing your rival get beat in any game is small minded and petty but it's pretty normal. It is sport and rivalry is fine.

Nothing wrong with Scotland navy blue, but probably not easy to do that by lighting.

Big_Franck
26-11-2015, 09:02 PM
I dont own a single piece of clothing with maroon anywhere on it, and I never will. Apart from reminding me of them it's a horrible, horrible colour.

Don't see anything wrong with what celtc are doing.

Ozyhibby
26-11-2015, 09:13 PM

I used to live in Westfield street. It was like having Tourettes

weecounty hibby
26-11-2015, 09:16 PM
At Allow Academy the school colours were maroon. I had years of wearing a maroon blazer and maroon and white tie. Had to play rugby in a maroon top with white shorts and maroon socks. Seniors rugby at school was played wearing a maroon and white hooped top. Scarred for life!!

Cabbage East
26-11-2015, 09:18 PM
Jesus. There's nothing wrong with that.

Alfred E Newman
26-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Mind you I was never very keen on that works van, you must have got that at a knock down price!!

According to Mr Watson, that van was red. Erse!

Bostonhibby
26-11-2015, 09:29 PM
I dont own a single piece of clothing with maroon anywhere on it, and I never will. Apart from reminding me of them it's a horrible, horrible colour.

Don't see anything wrong with what celtc are doing.

:agree: Same here - I also went through a prolonged spell of deliberately wearing something Hibs related to work, went on for several years - mostly socks or ties but was inspired by spending 2 years sitting opposite a yam who actually wore a maroon suit to work most days. I deliberately bought an emerald green one and wore it quite a bit at work and wore it to his wedding years later:greengrin

Maroon isn't really a colour, it's red that a brown substance has seeped into.

WhileTheChief..
26-11-2015, 09:54 PM
I live across the road from Sainsbury, Asda is a 10 min walk away.

Sainsubry staff are decked out in shiny maroon uniforms. With orange trim.

I shop at Asda.

Loopz
26-11-2015, 10:05 PM
Going to Roma v Milan in Jan. Did not buy anything from the club shop when I was there last year, can't see that changing this time.

scm70nyd1973
26-11-2015, 11:13 PM
I avoid maroon like the plague. I had a great Sony Erickson phone once but just never warmed to it because of the maroon trim. Maroon clothing? Not one item. And a car? Not in a million years.

Small minded pettiness is very underrated :aok:

Couldn't agree more - in my humble opinion (in football terms) it is perfectly reasonable to be small minded, petty and above all irrational - I really like Maroon 5 (sincere apologies for typing this combination but could see no real way round it and for the admission !) but I would never buy an album (showing my age here) of theirs or anything connected to them - just hearing their name makes me feel ill - as I say small minded, petty ....... !

ScottB
26-11-2015, 11:22 PM
Know a guy who worked at a design agency in Glasgow that had Rangers as a client, not only was the use of green totally banned in their advertising (grass??) but all who worked on it had to claim they were themselves Rangers fans.

Lot of nonsense!

The Harp
26-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Would never wear anything that was even close to maroon, it must be the most horrific colour of all - it's well suited to the Yams, they were made for each other.

NAE NOOKIE
26-11-2015, 11:44 PM
As I type I'm sitting in a living room with a maroon carpet, maroon curtains and white cushions with hearts on them. I'm not kidding.

I think my partner secretly hates me http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/boo%20hoo.gif

crewetollhibee
27-11-2015, 12:12 AM

That's just pathetic, a green toothbrush FFS. Mine's always green AND white.

monktonharp
27-11-2015, 12:22 AM
I think any grown man put off wearing a colour because of a rival football team is hilarious.well, here's a right flaugh for ye. I widdnae wear even maroon pyjammies if I was told "this is the last day of yer life, and you can have anything/woman you want as long as you wear maroon." and , according to my missus,I am grown up.:wink:

Drumlanrig
27-11-2015, 05:50 AM
When in a boozer, you will never here me say " it's mah roon"

SausageSurprise
27-11-2015, 06:20 AM
Got a Scotland waterproof online with moron(not a typo) piping that looked red on the website and last years Scotland home shirt with a maroon edged collar but other than that I have nothing of that colour. Maybe it's part of me getting older now that I didn't bother as much but 3 or 4 years ago there would have been no chance I'd have wore them

Hibby Bairn
27-11-2015, 06:42 AM
Sadly and ashamedly I rather enjoy it when my son's youth team beat Tynecastle.

danhibees1875
27-11-2015, 06:53 AM

Hahaha. Great observation. Not something I'd thought about, but 100% true!

Bostonhibby
27-11-2015, 07:30 AM
Know a guy who worked at a design agency in Glasgow that had Rangers as a client, not only was the use of green totally banned in their advertising (grass??) but all who worked on it had to claim they were themselves Rangers fans.

Lot of nonsense!
Did they have their teeth knocked oot or painted yellow and triple their bodyweight for authenticity?

Nae idea about what the men might have done.

Bostonhibby
27-11-2015, 07:34 AM
That's just pathetic, a green toothbrush FFS. Mine's always green AND white.
Always had a green & white one.

Once got given a company car which was very maroonish; managed to swap with a guy at work for a black one. Had five successive shades of green thereafter[emoji1]

lyonhibs
27-11-2015, 07:50 AM
I own nothing maroon very simply because it's a rank colour and doesn't suit me. Neither, for the most part, does green so my collection of green clothing is pretty much limited to Hibs tops.

I don't see what the problem is with Celtic's statement (apart from the rather odd although not unique idea of having a statue erected for someone who's not yet deid). Imagine we get - (and frankly I think we should) a statue of the Famous 5 and/or Joe Baker for example and the decision is taken to light them with a rotating variety of colours (as noted elsewhere, it would have to be green + white, and only green + white, if I was in charge of that decision)

Surely the notion of having Eddie Turnbull illuminated by Jambos Maroon or Hun Blue is simply wrong, much like Billy McNeill illuminated in Hun Blue would be?

dangermouse
27-11-2015, 08:09 AM
I had a maroon top, a present from my sister, I only wore it on a few occaisions when she was up visiting it has since been binned. Had a burgandy (almost maroon) carpet which I didn't mind as I was "walking all over it".

My son got a job in Morrisions and was praying it wouldn't be in the cafe as they wear maroon not green.

Topographic Hibby
27-11-2015, 08:35 AM
I teach in a high school (not Edinburgh & Lothians) where the school colours are maroon and white. If a pupil arrives in my class in, say green jacket or jumper, I have to tell them to remove it in favour of the maroon stuff.

Gets my goat, but I've no choice.......

sambajustice
27-11-2015, 08:44 AM
I have a few (Italian) mates who are Roma fans but I just can't bring myself to buy the shirt! I've come close but not done it yet!!

Roxyhibee
27-11-2015, 08:50 AM

I am now in my mid fifties and have always considered myself a mature, balanced individual. I embraced equality and fairness many decades ago before it was trendy and indeed was given the task of promoting such values in my large organisation, which we became leaders in our field. I now do voluntary work helping people in unfortunate situations and will go to my grave believing we are here to always help our fellow human beings who share this earth with us.

But, I still insist on the green fruit gum and even if I was in mortal agony, wouldn't use pile cream if it was maroon. Horrible, horrible colour...

Diclonius
27-11-2015, 09:50 AM
I don't mind maroon. Extending football tribalism to colour doesn't appeal to me.

27-11-2015, 09:54 AM
There was a story years ago (not sure if its true or not) that rangers stopped selling pepperamis at ibrox because the rangers fans didn't like that it was in a green wrapper.

As for maroon, ugly **** like colour.

Kato
27-11-2015, 10:00 AM
I don't mind maroon. Extending football tribalism to colour doesn't appeal to me.

Yeah, I'm the same and look at these trivial things with a degree of objectivity. Maroon is a brutally horrible colour.

cabbageandribs1875
27-11-2015, 11:02 AM
There was a story years ago (not sure if its true or not) that rangers stopped selling pepperamis at ibrox because the rangers fans didn't like that it was in a green wrapper.

oh it's true alright

Bostonhibby
27-11-2015, 11:12 AM

Story about the ban is definitely true but I thought they'd banned the Pepperami stick itself because it kept beating the fans at scrabble.

Radium
27-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Celtic Football Club ‏@celticfc (https://twitter.com/celticfc) 11m11 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/celticfc/status/670213103552958464)
Good luck to top Bhoy & @DavisCup (https://twitter.com/DavisCup) Team Captain Leon Smith & the @BritishTennis (https://twitter.com/BritishTennis) team in the #DavisCupFinal (https://twitter.com/hashtag/DavisCupFinal?src=hash)! (NM)

Good to see Celtic supporting the Davis Cup team

Sure British Tennis has been using a different hashtag :wink:

Thecat23
27-11-2015, 11:37 AM
If a statue went up at ER of say the Famous Five I wouldn't expect it to be light in Maroon even for a few seconds.

I own a maroon Hugo Boss jumper and actually like the top. But I can't see me ever buying anything maroon in future.

Bracksy
27-11-2015, 12:19 PM

This!!!!!:faf::greengrin

O'Rourke3
27-11-2015, 02:12 PM
Both my girls still think the stink from the distillery on the Western Approach Road is the stench from their manky park.....

FranckSuzy
27-11-2015, 02:14 PM
A new neighbour moved in by me the other day so I introduced myself and all that. Today, I bumped into her coming out of her house and was just asking how the move was going when right on cue, her mobile rang and 'HHGH' rang out...... Suffice to say, the offer of a cup of sugar has now been reconsidered :wink:

Smartie
27-11-2015, 02:21 PM
I was at a wedding a few years ago and had to take issue with the colour of suit a guy there was wearing.

He's a staunch Hibby but when questioned he described the colour as "deep wine".

It was maroon but I totally respect the guy's insistence that it wasn't.

Malthibby
27-11-2015, 02:24 PM

It's the institutionalised nature of this that's sad, individually anyone can decide not to wear blue/green/maroon etc but when your club is behaving like this it says it all.
Personally, I ordered a very attractive burgundy red Volvo, & was stunned as the proverbial kipper when a maroon one was delivered:rolleyes:
GG

blackpoolhibs
27-11-2015, 02:24 PM
If ever i cut myself by mistake, i refuse to bleed.

27-11-2015, 02:36 PM
A new neighbour moved in by me the other day so I introduced myself and all that. Today, I bumped into her coming out of her house and was just asking how the move was going when right on cue, her mobile rang and 'HHGH' rang out...... Suffice to say, the offer of a cup of sugar has now been reconsidered :wink:

Haha :greengrin

surreyhibbie
27-11-2015, 02:45 PM
I had a maroon bathroom suite fitted once. That first dump in the morning was heaven...

Salt N Sauzee
27-11-2015, 02:49 PM
I had a maroon bathroom suite fitted once. That first dump in the morning was heaven...

perfect color to go with the smell...

jacomo
27-11-2015, 02:52 PM

Bet you got bored of barfing every time though.

Smartie
27-11-2015, 03:01 PM

That sounds ideal tbh.

I'm constantly getting into bother with the missus when my turds "sign their name on the way out".

No such problems in a maroon bathroom.

anon1875
27-11-2015, 03:57 PM
I knew a guy who wanted to be a paratrooper but decided to join the royal marines because the para's berret was maroon lol.

Keith_M
27-11-2015, 04:07 PM
I had a maroon 'Y' cardigan at school but since then I have never let my standards drop. Happy to be a sad small minded man. [emoji3]

Mine was Burgundy

:greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
27-11-2015, 05:14 PM
Derhun took Eggs Benedict off their menu.....

I wouldn't want us to be as petty as them regarding our fudley neighbours:fibber:

weecounty hibby
27-11-2015, 05:32 PM
Would it be classed as small minded and petty if you were to go shopping in the Thistle Centre in Stirling and hide all the Hearts calendars and annuals behind Hibs ones? If so then I am very very small minded and petty :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
27-11-2015, 05:36 PM
It always makes me feel serene and secure when I am reminded that the colour associated with the heart chakra is.......

Green 😆

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

greenlex
27-11-2015, 07:33 PM
Would it be classed as small minded and petty if you were to go shopping in the Thistle Centre in Stirling and hide all the Hearts calendars and annuals behind Hibs ones? If so then I am very very small minded and petty :greengrin

Loving your work. I'm on the case.

Pete
27-11-2015, 09:46 PM

I'll admit to doing that once in tesco. Or twice.

I've had a look around this year but all I can see are Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea etc...

Well they don't help themselves, do they? One of them (Augustine or something) is waffling on to the press about how crap Celtic are and that Hearts can win the league. FFS.

Bostonhibby
27-11-2015, 09:57 PM
I'll admit to doing that once in tesco. Or twice.

I've had a look around this year but all I can see are Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea etc...

Well they don't help themselves, do they? One of them (Augustine or something) is waffling on to the press about how crap Celtic are and that Hearts can win the league. FFS.

Maybe they should get the double winning tee shirts on the go again?

Helped reinforce the delusion last time around.

superfurryhibby
28-11-2015, 08:38 AM
I nearly stopped drinking red wine because it once made me sick afterwards with all that maroon in my gut, packed a girlfriend in because her henna hair do was too close to that vile colour and crashed my mate's Hyundai Accent which was maroon with a white bonnet.

I rebelled against wearing a maroon blazer at James Gillespies High School and genuinely wore my Hibs top under my Hearts top when playing for Tynecastle Boys Club, Mr Dalglish found it amusing and told me that If I ever did that again then Iwas getting Sine Die'd from the club.

southsider
28-11-2015, 09:30 AM
I have always hated that colour. My grandfather, on my mothers side, once bought me a maroon scarf when I was about 5 or 6. I didn't want to touch it and soon swapped it with the rag and bone man for a goldfish.

Sir David Gray
29-11-2015, 03:48 PM

I do the same in Falkirk town centre.

I'm easily pleased. :greengrin

Alfred E Newman
29-11-2015, 07:20 PM

This would be that van on tour. Not very clever colour right enough!!