PDA

View Full Version : The case for the defence

PatHead
25-11-2015, 01:50 PM
As Jason, Keatings and co have managed to attract a lot of the attention with goalscoring it has been largely overlooked how well our defence has done since that horrible day in the Petrofac Cup.

Must admit I was a bit indifferent to Mark Oxley being re-signed but he and the defence have shown how little I know about football!

Only one club (Dumbarton twice) have managed to score more than one goal against us in the league and we have not conceded at all in the League Cup. When you think that we have rested and moved our centre backs around and adapted different tactics to suit games it is even more impressive.

David Gray has had a long injury free spell and I don't think that is unrelated to the run with the ever steady Lewis on the other side.

Long may it continue.

lord bunberry
25-11-2015, 02:00 PM
As Jason, Keatings and co have managed to attract a lot of the attention with goalscoring it has been largely overlooked how well our defence has done since that horrible day in the Petrofac Cup.

Must admit I was a bit indifferent to Mark Oxley being re-signed but he and the defence have shown how little I know about football!

Only one club (Dumbarton twice) have managed to score more than one goal against us in the league and we have not conceded at all in the League Cup. When you think that we have rested and moved our centre backs around and adapted different tactics to suit games it is even more impressive.

David Gray has had a long injury free spell and I don't think that is unrelated to the run with the ever steady Lewis on the other side.

Long may it continue.
:top marksIt's one of the big differences from last season. How many times did we dominate a game only to be caught with a sucker punch at the death. To win this league(which we will)we will have to be strong up front and at the back.

JimBHibees
25-11-2015, 02:05 PM
:top marksIt's one of the big differences from last season. How many times did we dominate a game only to be caught with a sucker punch at the death. To win this league(which we will)we will have to be strong up front and at the back.

I also think Darren McGregor has been an excellent buy gives us something we didnt really have at the back a much more physical player who is very good in the air. provides a good balance with both Fontaine and Hanlon.

jacomo
25-11-2015, 03:25 PM
I also think Darren McGregor has been an excellent buy gives us something we didnt really have at the back a much more physical player who is very good in the air. provides a good balance with both Fontaine and Hanlon.

:agree:

Great signing. Still can't believe Sevco let him go, although I suppose they are winning this league at a canter...

PatHead
25-11-2015, 03:26 PM
:agree:

Great signing. Still can't believe Sevco let him go, although I suppose they are winning this league at a canter...

Did they not think he was going somewhere else rather than Hibs?

Jack
25-11-2015, 03:32 PM

Boyhood heroes!

andrew70
25-11-2015, 03:45 PM

Saint Johnstone I believe, in fact he allegedly told them he was going there to ensure he was released.

CorrieHibs
25-11-2015, 03:49 PM

They're arrogance would of blinded them.

hibsbollah
25-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Great post. Lewis and David Gray getting up the wings has allowed us to play the way we have from an attacking point of view, and they are both solid defensive players anyway. McGregor has looked excellent every time I've seen him, Fontaine has retained his already high standards and Hanlon has added some steel to his play and is less lightweight, his best season yet. Having 3 quality cbs gives Stubbs options about formations, and in the event of a dip in form and injuries.

Oxley? Like a new signing, by far out most improved player.

The whole defensive unit has been very very good.

3pm
25-11-2015, 04:20 PM

He came as part of the swap deal for Scott Allan.

essexhibee
25-11-2015, 05:01 PM
Darren McGregor had been a fantastic signing. What a coup.

O'Rourke3
25-11-2015, 06:39 PM
:faf:

pundy man
25-11-2015, 09:05 PM
We got Daz for nowt and they replaced him with Danny Wilson😄😄. Could hopefully come back to haunt them big time

Sir David Gray
25-11-2015, 09:24 PM

:tee hee:

monktonharp
25-11-2015, 09:39 PM
I have been very impressed with our defence this season. had a few scares near the end with Livi, and also noticed that big Fontaine let a couple of balls go over him, of late but otherwise sound. Hanlon has been fantastic this season and our captain is getting back to what we know he can do. The only surprise is that big Forster has not appeared this season, if I'm correct?He has been on the bench but would be good to get him on at some time during a match as you never know what injuries, and suspensions are round the corner, especially with centre backs.

erin go bragh
25-11-2015, 09:43 PM
Best defence we have had for years .

GGTTH

monktonharp
25-11-2015, 10:10 PM
Best defence we have had for years .:

GGTTH:agree:

southern hibby
26-11-2015, 07:17 AM
Imagine if McGregor had said to The newest team in Scotland I want to go to Hibs, or we had put a silly bid in. Make no mistake he would still be with them.

If Scotty A had just did his job and let his contract run down he would have went to the team he supports. For years we have been shafted in most situations. However we have on both of these situations played a major blinder.

Message for all inbreed looking in, your pathetic teams attempt to unsettle SA by constant derisory bids in the paper did just that unsettle SA not our team. He is now signed for ( in your eyes) your main rivals. Also we got your best defensive player from last season and we have not paid a penny and invade your not aware joint top and to play twice xxx

GGTTH

lucky
26-11-2015, 08:13 AM
The singing of McGregor has put the pressure on the defence to perform. The fact he's a right sided CH gives the pairing a better balance but also allows Stubbs to play 3 CHs. As for Foster, he's going to struggle to get back into the team and could find himself out of ER in the summer. He's a decent player but unfortunately for him we have bigger, stronger and more experienced CHs on the books than him.

TheFamous1875
26-11-2015, 11:20 AM
The singing of McGregor has put the pressure on the defence to perform. The fact he's a right sided CH gives the pairing a better balance but also allows Stubbs to play 3 CHs. As for Foster, he's going to struggle to get back into the team and could find himself out of ER in the summer. He's a decent player but unfortunately for him we have bigger, stronger and more experienced CHs on the books than him.

You always need a centre-half in the wings waiting for his chance and Forster will get his chance soon, I'm sure of it. I've been disappointed that he's not seen more action as he's a tremendous prospect for us and needs the game-time to improve. As with all players, the value of a reserve league is evident when they don't reach their potential with us. I hope to see him soon - he needs the game time and offers us something different at the back (aerial threat).

Malthibby
26-11-2015, 12:20 PM
Forster was my favourite player before he was injured, think he has a massive future & I hope
Stubbs agrees.

Bracksy
26-11-2015, 12:28 PM
Great post. Lewis and David Gray getting up the wings has allowed us to play the way we have from an attacking point of view, and they are both solid defensive players anyway. McGregor has looked excellent every time I've seen him, Fontaine has retained his already high standards and Hanlon has added some steel to his play and is less lightweight, his best season yet. Having 3 quality cbs gives Stubbs options about formations, and in the event of a dip in form and injuries.

Oxley? Like a new signing, by far out most improved player.

The whole defensive unit has been very very good.

couldn't agree more with this.

such a difference going into games knowing how solid we are at the back

Treadstone
26-11-2015, 12:35 PM
Imagine if McGregor had said to The newest team in Scotland I want to go to Hibs, or we had put a silly bid in. Make no mistake he would still be with them.

If Scotty A had just did his job and let his contract run down he would have went to the team he supports. For years we have been shafted in most situations. However we have on both of these situations played a major blinder.

This. Allans stock may well have rose further if he built on last season. The football food chain would have ensured plenty lucrative offers. Now if he doesn't start tonight with the injuries and suspensions what then ?