PDA

View Full Version : George Best RIP 10 years today

TheFamous1875
25-11-2015, 06:52 AM
Just listening to Talksport and it's the 10th anniversary of George Best's passing today so they're playing clips from his last interview on the station from a few months before his death. A nice touch. Also mentioned that he played up in Scotland with Hibs, so it's good to hear Brazil referencing us in regards to his short time here, not that Ray Parlour seemed interested...

What were your memories of Best's time here? I wasn't around at the time but it always fascinated me that arguably one of the worlds' best ever players played for my club. Eddie Turnbull said that signing Best was detrimental to the team and had part in us getting relegated that year. Is that accurate? I'd like to hear what punters made of that time and what better day to ask than today, eh?

Greenworld
25-11-2015, 07:41 AM
We were a poor side by then ...George best was either magnificent .....hopless..or drunk in his short spell he never got us relegated the club selling all our best players did ..sound familiar

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

magnificent_seven
25-11-2015, 08:12 AM
The minutes applause against rangers shortly after his death genuinely made the hairs on my neck stand up.

NAE NOOKIE
25-11-2015, 08:31 AM
Even though I followed Hibs home & away in those days I cant really remember Best's games for us too well, apart from him adding nearly two thirds to the crowd for his first home game. As I recall Hibs were paying him £2000 every time he played, a huge amount for a team like us at the time. ... Though I understand it mostly came out of Tom Hart's own pocket.

Back then replica strips and merchandise weren't anything like the money spinners they are now, as what was laughingly referred to as the 'Hibs shop' on Easter Road would testify. I can only imagine what sort of money we could have generated if they had been.

George is one of the games true giants and undoubtedly one of the top 10 players of all time ..... its great for us to be able to say he played for us. But the truth is, as far as the history of the club goes he is nothing more than an interesting footnote.

Pretty Boy
25-11-2015, 08:39 AM
The minutes applause against rangers shortly after his death genuinely made the hairs on my neck stand up.

It was a 'real' reaction which was great imo.

A minutes silence that instinctively turned into an applause.

heretoday
25-11-2015, 10:22 AM
Even though I followed Hibs home & away in those days I cant really remember Best's games for us too well, apart from him adding nearly two thirds to the crowd for his first home game. As I recall Hibs were paying him £2000 every time he played, a huge amount for a team like us at the time. ... Though I understand it mostly came out of Tom Hart's own pocket.

Back then replica strips and merchandise weren't anything like the money spinners they are now, as what was laughingly referred to as the 'Hibs shop' on Easter Road would testify. I can only imagine what sort of money we could have generated if they had been.

George is one of the games true giants and undoubtedly one of the top 10 players of all time ..... its great for us to be able to say he played for us. But the truth is, as far as the history of the club goes he is nothing more than an interesting footnote.

I'm sure the £2000 weekly wage was all perfectly above board and accounted for, ahem! Bestie was good for publicity but a bit of a distraction from the serious business of surviving in the First Division.

pacorosssco
25-11-2015, 10:35 AM
It was a 'real' reaction which was great imo.

A minutes silence that instinctively turned into an applause.

Was very emotive. Proud to have been there. Special day

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-11-2015, 11:04 AM
But the truth is, as far as the history of the club goes he is nothing more than an interesting footnote.

Sums it up perfectly for me, I think folk get a bit carried away cos of his name in comparison to what he did when he was here.

HappyAsHellas
25-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Remember Pat Stanton telling me that Best's wage was a real downer for some of the players at the time as he was being paid about 10 times what they were. Hart "paid" for it of course, but when you take into consideration that the first home game he played in brought about an extra 7000 punters at £2? (memory again) a head it wasn't much of an outlay. As for the man himself, he did show in flashes what he was capable of, but in that team he was never going to make too much of a difference.

HappyHanlon
25-11-2015, 11:22 AM
He was before my time watching Hibs.

That said, my auld man told me a story about George Best -

One day the chairman went to visit George in the hotel he was staying in to see if he was able to play. When he got there, he found Best absolutely steaming in bed with a couple of blondes. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

JimBHibees
25-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Remember Pat Stanton telling me that Best's wage was a real downer for some of the players at the time as he was being paid about 10 times what they were. Hart "paid" for it of course, but when you take into consideration that the first home game he played in brought about an extra 7000 punters at £2? (memory again) a head it wasn't much of an outlay. As for the man himself, he did show in flashes what he was capable of, but in that team he was never going to make too much of a difference.

Was much more than that. Can remember it was Partick Thistle which would have had a crowd of approx 5k and over 20k turned up.

Moulin Yarns
25-11-2015, 02:28 PM
I'm just back from Belfast and did the bus tour. Glentoran's ground was pointed out, where George had a trial as a teenager and was turned down as he was too light to make it. The rest, as they say, is history. I had a chat with the guide and told him I had seen Best play, and he asked who for. I told him and he knew it was in the twilight years and that Best was overweight, and mostly drunk by then.

My own memories of Best were also as an overweight footballer who couldn't run without wheezing, but he still had talent to beat a man or make a killer pass. As others have said pity about the rest of the team.

My own memories of Best were also as an overweight footballer who couldn't run without wheezing, but he still had talent to beat a man or make a killer pass. As others have said pity about the rest of the team.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVT-cgqKJsE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVT-cgqKJsE)

Kato
25-11-2015, 02:52 PM
George Galloway ‏@georgegalloway 4m4 minutes ago
When George Best played some for Hibernian I saw every game. Even then struggling in various ways he was a thing of beauty a joy to behold

Bet he never made it to the friendly down at Leicester.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-11-2015, 03:12 PM
I remember seeing Best play for us and IIRC there is a book about Hibernian Greats that he has a chapter in. With all due respect to him and to other Hibbies who may have treasured memories of his time with us, I can't help but remember it more as a publicity stunt.
A flawed genius , but a genius none-the-less.
I don't mind then, that his time with us is being air-brushed from history. To be honest, if he is not in that iconic red top and white shorts, it doesn't look right.

lyonhibs
25-11-2015, 03:57 PM
Thing I love about watching clips of Best is that his skill is based purely on touch, control, balance and a turn of speed. Undiluted by any flicks, stepovers or rabonas on pitches far worse - by and large - than today at a time where defenders could happily chop you down with a ankle high karate kick without fear of retribution.

HibbyAndy
25-11-2015, 04:20 PM
pretty sure it was snowing the day he passed away.

Scottie
25-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Remember him pulling up next to us at a set of traffic lights (was only about 7 at the time)with a blonde sort in the passenger seat looking across at us and seeing I had my Hibs top on gave us the thumbs up then proceeded to have a snog with his lady. :aok:

Remember him vaguely scoring a peach at ER in a 1-1 draw against Sellick. We were lucky to see one of the worlds best ever players pull on the green and white shirt even if he was at the end of his career.

Leithenhibby
25-11-2015, 05:23 PM
I recall George Best, at ER clearly.

Still had the touch of an angel but in fairness he wasn't a fraction of the genius he was as a youngster, as we all know.

He will always be a Hero of mine as a young lad, most definitely a Messi, Ronaldo, Bergkamp kinda player. Just oozed class! He did drink way too much at too young an age, but I always thought he was the first Beckham kinda player that no manager had had to deal with at Man Utd, before.

I shall remember him as the genius he was.

“Boss, I think I’ve found you a genius” were the only words Manchester United manager Sir Matt Busby read in a telegram, enough said.

RIP - The Belfast Boy.....

Deansy
25-11-2015, 06:41 PM
Belter of a memory from GB when we were playing the Hun. He had the ball in the centre of the pitch and Derek Johnstone was 'attempting' to take the ball off him. GB obviously fancied a bit fun and started just ripping the p**s out of Johnstone, wee feint one way then the opposite way and then nut-megged the clown - but GB wasn't finished dishing out the lesson. Right after the nut-meg, Best turned back around and proceeded to start the ripping all over again !. Of course, Johnstone being the typical Hun, lost it and started hacking away at Best's ankles/legs (all of this was happening obviously in a lot faster time than it takes time to read/type it !) - eventually Best got sick of the booting, stopped dead, picked the ball up and turned around and offered the ball to Johnstone - as if to say 'Here, if you really want it that much !!' . Obviously the ref gave them a foul for hand-ball but it was well worth it as ER erupted, it was just such a fantastic put-down by a master-player who, despite obviously not being quite the player that he was for Man U, was still light years ahead of any player the Hun have EVER had !!

Kato
25-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Belter of a memory from GB when we were playing the Hun. He had the ball in the centre of the pitch and Derek Johnstone was 'attempting' to take the ball off him. GB obviously fancied a bit fun and started just ripping the p**s out of Johnstone, wee feint one way then the opposite way and then nut-megged the clown - but GB wasn't finished dishing out the lesson. Right after the nut-meg, Best turned back around and proceeded to start the ripping all over again !. Of course, Johnstone being the typical Hun, lost it and started hacking away at Best's ankles/legs (all of this was happening obviously in a lot faster time than it takes time to read/type it !) - eventually Best got sick of the booting, stopped dead, picked the ball up and turned around and offered the ball to Johnstone - as if to say 'Here, if you really want it that much !!' . Obviously the ref gave them a foul for hand-ball but it was well worth it as ER erupted, it was just such a fantastic put-down by a master-player who, despite obviously not being quite the player that he was for Man U, was still light years ahead of any player the Hun have EVER had !!

Remember that but forgot it cake-face he did over. There was, more subtle, pish taking of Willie Miller up at Pittodrie too, Miller left squeelling in the tunnel and the press. Best mentioned that incident in one of his biogs.

weecounty hibby
25-11-2015, 09:38 PM
Went to his first game for us v St Mirren at Love Street, an amazing crowd and can remember being crushed against the wall at the front of the terrace and being lifted on to the track to sit and watch the game.
I remember the game against Celtic at ER as well. Celtic had already won the league I think and went 1-0 up.cue chants from them about being champions. Best scored and Latchford ended up in the net with the ball. Cue chants from the Hibbies of " oh Georgie,Georgie, Georgie Georgie Georgie Georgie Best".
As a young kid I was in awe of one of the greatest players EVER playing for Hibs, and I suppose I still am. One game he played in had a picture of him on the front cover of the programme, I have that programme autographed by the great man on the day and I have it with a picture of me and him taken the same day inside the old centre stand at ER. A legend of world football and for a short time he was one of us

#FromTheCapital
25-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Remember his funeral was on the same day we played Dundee Utd at Tannadice. Memories of watching his funeral in a Dundee pub hours before the game.

Although before my time, he was obviously an all time great. Usually it's hibs that turn people to drink, respect to George for being the first to do this in reverse.

pacorosssco
25-11-2015, 11:43 PM
Remember his funeral was on the same day we played Dundee Utd at Tannadice. Memories of watching his funeral in a Dundee pub hours before the game.

Although before my time, he was obviously an all time great. Usually it's hibs that turn people to drink, respect to George for being the first to do this in reverse.

I agree. Not a Hibs great but a Football great. Played scored for Hibs. If hed played huns celtic there would be 20 page pull out today

lucky
26-11-2015, 12:06 AM
For our younger fans it's like Hibs signing Messi at the end off his career. GB was the greatest ever British footballer after Pele and Maradona he was the best player ever. He was a legend

marinello59
26-11-2015, 06:29 AM
For our younger fans it's like Hibs signing Messi at the end off his career. GB was the greatest ever British footballer after Pele and Maradona he was the best player ever. He was a legend

I'd argue that Best was not just the greatest British player but the best of them all.

Hibrandenburg
26-11-2015, 07:56 AM
I'd argue that Best was not just the greatest British player but the best of them all.

:agree: All he was missing was the chance to show it on the international stage.

lucky
26-11-2015, 08:01 AM

It would be a good debate, but Pele & Maradona both won the World Cup and their careers lasted longer at the top level. Sadly George had to fight his demons and did not alway win. But it's unbelievable to think he actually played for Hibs

stu in nottingham
26-11-2015, 08:16 AM
George would have won the World Cup too had he played for Brazil or Argentina. Ten wonderful years at Man Utd.

He could everything and was incomparible in my book.

bobbyhibs1983
26-11-2015, 10:28 AM
It being before my time, i was born in 83 my parents often remind me that my mum(not a football fan) has only went to ONE football game in her life and it was when GB played for hibs,though im unsure WHAT game it was

WeeRussell
26-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Still where I'm headed when I die and they lay me to rest.

chinaman
26-11-2015, 12:19 PM

Remember the day of George's funeral well , massive crowds in Belfast everywhere watching as I watched on sky t.v
then kay burley interviews pat jennings and another former n.Ireland team mate of George's who I can't remember.
then unbelievably burley asks "do you think george wished he was English " cue stunned silence and then a shocked jennings explains to the axxe burley there was no prouder irish man than his pal george.
couldn't believe burley wasn't binned for her arrogance.